Questions about modifying your ILX

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Questions about modifying your ILX

Please share any concerns, issues or problems you find with modifying your ILX.

I would like to know things like the following, but please share other concerns with me as well.
  • Do you find it difficult to modify the car?
  • Do you find it hard to find companies that offer aftermarket accessories (exhausts, engine components, etc)
  • Does the styling of the car make it difficult to modify the car?
  • Did you buy the car with the intention of modifying it?
Also, general feedback is welcome, what do and don't you like about the car, etc. What could be improved about the car to make it a more desirable car from an enthusiasts point of view.

Thanks,

-Anil
Old 08-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
Do you find it difficult to modify the car? It's still new so it's to be expected.

Do you find it hard to find companies that offer aftermarket accessories (exhausts, engine components, etc) Yes, but given that it shares the Si's engine, and most of the civic's components, I've been able to find parts that work / fit (refer to my build thread).

Does the styling of the car make it difficult to modify the car? Not at all. The available spoiler kit only helps too.

Did you buy the car with the intention of modifying it? Yes, but only slightly

Also, general feedback is welcome, what do and don't you like about the car, etc. What could be improved about the car to make it a more desirable car from an enthusiasts point of view. They need a Type-S variant, or if they are forgoing that nomenclature system, ILX-S sounds good. Name notwithstanding, the suspension isn't firm enough for someone who opts for a 6-speed manual and the more powerful engine. I think they should've just made this share the same suspension as the Si and add the limited slip, as well. It would've made this car the luxury equivalent of the Si -- I think Acura always should've been the luxury equivalent to the Honda models they are based on. While I'm harping away, better brakes would be beneficial too, but only for the sport version.
The following users liked this post:
haidarh (11-06-2015)
Old 08-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Team Owner

Thanks for the post. I understand it's a new model and that it shares with the SI, but if you have any feedback regarding your future hopes that would be helpful, like: Do you think this car can meet your modification goal endpoint?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Drifting

The exhaust is what's killing me...I know that it shares the same exhaust as the si sedan, but uses a different muffler, but I don't want to have to install a dolphin tip exhaust.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,136 Likes on 4,805 Posts
Isn't it a bit early to ask about aftermarket support?

Curious where this goes though.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Drifting

Considering he's an admin, I wouldn't be surprised if he doing market research on hehalf of acura.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
Considering he's an admin, I wouldn't be surprised if he doing market research on hehalf of acura.
We have been and will continue to try to forge a relationship with Acura so that they understand our viewpoints and expectations for their products. As enthusiasts, we do more with their cars than the general public does, because of that, I feel we can help improve their products more so than the general consumer can, solely because we tinker with their products and hold them to a higher standard.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Isn't it a bit early to ask about aftermarket support?
It's never too early IMHO and it doesn't have to be late in the game to wait for aftermarket support.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Drifting

I guess, while we are on the topic, the seats in the 2.4 could use a bit more lateral support. Again, it goes back to this notion that a car with the more premium engine offering should be given more in terms of performance.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
I guess my only gripe for now is with the suspension, being slightly on the soft side. What would be the most simple fix for this?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
It's never too early IMHO and it doesn't have to be late in the game to wait for aftermarket support.
True, but with my current car, its been out since May/June and most of the parts didnt hit the production stage until mid-July.

Please ask them when we should be expecting a sports coupe, too
Old 08-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Team Owner

True, but with my current car, its been out since May/June and most of the parts didnt hit the production stage until mid-July.
True, but the prototypes and design plans were completed before that.

Please ask them when we should be expecting a sports coupe, too
I will do my best to ask.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Team Owner

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (2 members and 1 guests) Sly Raskal, 4cruizn
How goes it Tyson?
Old 08-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
How goes it Tyson?
Lol, caught me! Yes just browsing the forums as I usually do when I have a free minute here at work . Re: ILX mods, probably not anything on my short term to-do list. The car in fact is not even "mine" (yet) to modify. I did, however, quickly opt for window tint and a clear bra for the front end.

I think it'd look hot with a moderate drop for improved stance and a set of larger diameter (18" perhaps) wheels.

Here's something I plan on doing. I'm going to get the lower grille inserts from the ILX Hybrid and put it on my ILX Premium. It has a chrome accent strip that I like, rather than the existing black "mesh" pattern.

Standard:
Name:  ILX6.jpg
Views: 1709
Size:  29.7 KB

Hybrid:
Name:  6w_640.jpg
Views: 1756
Size:  49.3 KB

I've always been "show" over "go," so I probably won't mess with engine mods. Good to hear from you, Anil!
Old 08-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4cruizn
Lol, caught me! Yes just browsing the forums as I usually do when I have a free minute here at work . Re: ILX mods, probably not anything on my short term to-do list. The car in fact is not even "mine" (yet) to modify. I did, however, quickly opt for window tint and a clear bra for the front end.

I think it'd look hot with a moderate drop for improved stance and a set of larger diameter (18" perhaps) wheels.

Here's something I plan on doing. I'm going to get the lower grille inserts from the ILX Hybrid and put it on my ILX Premium. It has a chrome accent strip that I like, rather than the existing black "mesh" pattern.

Standard:

Hybrid:

I've always been "show" over "go," so I probably won't mess with engine mods. Good to hear from you, Anil!
That looks slick. Only part of my ILX I'm not fond of. That plastic looks cheap compared to the rest of the car. I thought about putting in some LEDs in there, but not for a while.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Heck of a mod :

Old 08-20-2012, 11:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Nice find! Finally an Acura with LEDs. That should shut up all the whiners.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:32 AM
Drifting

i think leds are a stylistic trend, soon to go the way of the suicide door.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
i think leds are a stylistic trend, soon to go the way of the suicide door.
I don't believe it will happen, more light with less energy. but then again...
Old 08-21-2012, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by CoquiTSX
I don't believe it will happen, more light with less energy. but then again...
Plus instant-on. Incandescent bulb have a slight delay before they fully illuminate. I don't see LEDs going away.

Maybe LED DRLs, but not LED tail lights. And if the tech on LED headlights improves, I can see that taking the place of HIDs.

Last edited by civicdrivr; 08-21-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:29 AM
Drifting

yea, i meant to say led drls. Perhaps they will come out with a new design because, in its current form, I don't really like them...or perhaps its all the riced out led conversions that have me hating leds
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (08-25-2012)
Old 08-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Does anyone have the OEM LED door sills? They look pretty slick on the website and have been thinking of getting them done at the dealership.

A related point, why does the installation cost of Acura accessories vary so much from dealer to dealer?
Old 08-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by rxj27
Does anyone have the OEM LED door sills? They look pretty slick on the website and have been thinking of getting them done at the dealership.

A related point, why does the installation cost of Acura accessories vary so much from dealer to dealer?
Because they are privately owned and can set their own prices.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 229 Posts

Yes I have them and think they look good. A little pricey but the labour is intensive. Make sure you get an installed quote from the dealer because I am sure the dealer lost money on my install. Mine was the first one they had done it and took almost 4 hours. You can google the installation instructions and you will see how much is involved.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by terdonal
Yes I have them and think they look good. A little pricey but the labour is intensive. Make sure you get an installed quote from the dealer because I am sure the dealer lost money on my install. Mine was the first one they had done it and took almost 4 hours. You can google the installation instructions and you will see how much is involved.
Yea, I found the specs and its pretty intensive, multiple panel removals. I understand dealers' prerogative to determine their own prices but the install costs have varied so widely from $120 to over $350... Do the prices then directly reflect the efficiency/skills of the different dealers as in the lower prices show more competence (we can do this in less time)?
Old 08-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Drifting

my dealer refuses to do illuminated sills, lol.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
my dealer refuses to do illuminated sills, lol.
What part of CT are you from? What dealer?
Old 08-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Drifting

^I was being facetious, but they did complain to me about how long it took...not in a we won't let you get this way, but more like "omg, that shit cray" kind of way. I like the sales/service team at my dealer...I gave/give them nothing but top notch ratings.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
I was bragging to a friend of mine how nice the car was, and then he laughed when he saw the garage door opener hanging from my visor.

So luxurious they couldn't add memory saving push button garage openers... that's about the only gripe I have with mine so far.

Considering I can from a car that was lowered 3.5" on a 35 series tire.. I think the wheel gap and the 45 series tire is a bit much, but that will get fixed.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Switt23
I was bragging to a friend of mine how nice the car was, and then he laughed when he saw the garage door opener hanging from my visor.

So luxurious they couldn't add memory saving push button garage openers... that's about the only gripe I have with mine so far.

Considering I can from a car that was lowered 3.5" on a 35 series tire.. I think the wheel gap and the 45 series tire is a bit much, but that will get fixed.
ILX doesn't have HomeLink?
Old 09-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
I bought the Premium Package and it does not have it. Looks like the Technology package does though.

So my suggestion is to make that a standard feature on all the models.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:05 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Anyone know how to get rid of the security feature for the navi?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Switt23
I bought the Premium Package and it does not have it. Looks like the Technology package does though.

So my suggestion is to make that a standard feature on all the models.
+1
Old 11-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 197 Posts
DIY Exhaust idea for ILX

The exhaust is what's killing me...I know that it shares the same exhaust as the si sedan, but uses a different muffler, but I don't want to have to install a dolphin tip exhaust.
Would you consider using a Hole saw to make an opening? Once the hole is there you probably should trim it nicely with sand paper and finish it with a clear coat (just on the cut edges) for better protection.

You could then order or find a used Si muffler or just go ahead and get a Flow Master, or even something custom made to fill it in and sound nicely.

I would do it if I had a ILX and was older.

But my biggest gripe (or fear) with the ILX is that its based off the Civic; which is fine. But whats not fine is that the Civic's platform may only have a single exhaust support outlet. Meaning, there is no carve outs for another exhaust on the right side, like there is on the left. I feel like every Acura needs to have Dual exhaust, like it has been for a while now. It also helps tie the rear together nicely. You know. Symmetry!

While its minor and probably could be fixed with some careful routing and few tig welds for supports, its still something to think about.

Time, Skill and Money plays a big roll in this DIY idea. Would love to do it myself or see someone else do it.

If anyone plans on doing it, PM me and start a thread with pictures and updates!!

-Thanks.

Last edited by Timmy18; 11-17-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
I notice even on our ILX Tech/Premium, they have skimped on insulation especially around the trunk and spare area. I am installing Fat Mat fatmat.com in those areas as well as under the back seat and carpet areas. We have bought many Honda Accords and a Civic that all needed this mod to shut down the road noise. I was surprised Acura did not do better. Was also surprised the is no driver's seat lumbar adjustment. Still this car is light years ahead to the great 2009 Civic EXL Navi which is what we traded in.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by robtroxel
I notice even on our ILX Tech/Premium, they have skimped on insulation especially around the trunk and spare area. I am installing Fat Mat fatmat.com in those areas as well as under the back seat and carpet areas. We have bought many Honda Accords and a Civic that all needed this mod to shut down the road noise. I was surprised Acura did not do better. Was also surprised the is no driver's seat lumbar adjustment. Still this car is light years ahead to the great 2009 Civic EXL Navi which is what we traded in.
I wonder if this is because they were "putting their money" on the active noise cancellation technology? I wouldn't want to add too much weight to the car but strategic placement of some asphalt type "melt sheets" could be beneficial. Maybe over/around the wheel wells?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Sound suppression

That what Fat mat is a self sticking asphalt based sheeting with an aluminum foil type covering on one side. It works very well for covering the trunk wheel wheels and most of the bare metal in the spare area. We go one step further putting Fat Mat under the rear seat and the rear carpeting. I suspect it might add 10 to 15 pounds over all in weight. This really helps with great sound insulation. I have also put this between the door panels in our 2009 Civic EXL which was a very noisy car without it. Actually the 2004-2007 Accords were not much better.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
Do you find it difficult to modify the car? I assume it will be more difficult to find parts more than anything.
  • Do you find it hard to find companies that offer aftermarket accessories (exhausts, engine components, etc) It's very early, but yes! The Civic Si exhaust should bolt right up BUT we don't have an exhaust cut-out? I have the 2.4!! I should be able to see my exhaust. But, Honda should probably give these companies incentive to make a dolphin tip version of their exhausts.
  • Does the styling of the car make it difficult to modify the car? I will update on this once it comes time to modify it. It looks the way the hood does not meet the headlight (though it maybe a better design) will make it more difficult to modifiy anything in the lighting.
  • Did you buy the car with the intention of modifying it? Yes, I bought the car once I found out about CT-E developing a charger for the car. (I had a 2009 TSX that already had one available, so it was important to me)

I do plan on dynmating my car for increased sound deadening.. BUT, something I can't fix is the air noise coming into the cabin via the windows. These windows obviously should of been thicker, something I can't modify :\

Last edited by Trentimus; 12-17-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got the white acura illuminated door sills and they look great......they are only in the front though....the back say acura as well but dont light up.....why not all 4??........i dont know....
Old 05-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Im new to the whole forum thing but i find it very interesting in reguards to mods on the ILX. Yes the fact that its too early for parts is true but take into consideration how much parts will be once they are out. The ILX has a K24Z7 motor, looking at it myself i just noticed that the oil pan is cast iron in differance to the k24a2 and 4 series. As far as intakes go i made one myself and i tried to avoid thay 300+++ for the SI one. Im currently building up my ILX, Im in good progress away but this is all self work im not sure if anyone is interested but yeah thats my two cents i have a video on youtube, under my garge.

Quick Reply: Questions about modifying your ILX