Maintenance warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 02:21 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maintenance warranty

Hi ,

I least Acura ILX 17 on 12/8/16 for 39 months with 15000 miles annually. And I pay $30 more every month for maintenance warranty. Last week I received the maintenance booklet which shows the warranty only cover 36 months with 36000 months total. I thought it’s not right because the warranty should cover 39 months with 45000 miles total. So I went to the dealer today to ask the finance guy to update, but she refuses to do it, she said my warranty only cover 36 month/36000 months. Has any anyone has the same problem? Please advise, thanks.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:47 AM
4th Gear

any one knows?
Old 01-10-2017, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
where was the verbiage that said 39 months/ 15000 miles?
Old 01-10-2017, 11:16 AM
4th Gear

On my contract, the red one.

But only shows 39 months, no 45000 miles.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:05 PM
Senior Moderator

So your contract says 39 months at 15,000 miles annually. What's the problem then?
Old 01-10-2017, 02:04 PM
4th Gear

The purchasing contract shows 39monts with 15000 annually, but the maintenance contract shows 36 months with 12000 miles annually.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Why did you buy any sort of extra warranty for a leased vehicle? If I ever leased a car, I wouldn't jack sh*t for maintenance and just reset the MID manually.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:01 AM
Senior Moderator

One post will do : https://acurazine.com/forums/acura-i...enance-953405/
Old 01-11-2017, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Received 1,001 Likes on 572 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
Threads merged.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by schen72
Why did you buy any sort of extra warranty for a leased vehicle? If I ever leased a car, I wouldn't jack sh*t for maintenance and just reset the MID manually.

That's usually not how leases work.. typically they do the maintenance for the duration of the lease don't they.. I'm not sure why there was an additional maintenance package on top except common dealer shenanigans...
Old 01-12-2017, 03:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by thoiboi
That's usually not how leases work.. typically they do the maintenance for the duration of the lease don't they.. I'm not sure why there was an additional maintenance package on top except common dealer shenanigans...
High end cars like BMW do include maintenance as part of their purchase price -- whether you lease or buy. But lower end leases don't include maintenance. I don't believe Acura includes maintenance. My point is that, on a car I'm effectively "renting," I'm not gonna do jacksh*t in terms of taking good care of that car. I'm gonna do the bare minimum and probably not actually do every maintenance item. No one would know.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Finance guy doesn't want to mess with his commission. He IS A SALEMANS. Do NOT EVER forget that, or this event, in the future when you or your friends or family buy a car. Expensive learning lesson. Don't expect him to be helpful. Dealers are full scumbags. I would not be surprised if they mislead you, kind of sounds like they did...

Schen72 - I'm gonna assume you don't literally mean that since if you don't change your oil, your car will seize and blowup the motor. And YES the dealer CAN tell if you abused or damaged the car, and will charge you for this when you turn it in. They can't "make" you do the maintenance... but they can simply penalize you for it at the end of the contract, when they inspect if for damage and required repairs...
if you mean that you would simply put in basic cheap oil changes, ... well YEA, that's actually what most lease owners do... I mean, I also don't put in premium gas into a rental car (unless its required)...

Last edited by aomechmarine; 01-13-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have a leased company car and that's exactly how I do it. I only change the oil every 15k miles or so. I never rotate tires. I don't do any other maintenance. None of this damages the car in the short term. All the dealer can really check for is body damage and that kind of stuff. I always drive the hell out of it. I don't slow down at all for speed bumps. If you never changed the brake fluid, there's no way for them to know it caused any damage. I also don't put in premium gas even when it's required, in leased and rental cars. I believe it was Jeremy Clarkson who said, "the fastest car in the world is a rental car."
Old 01-16-2017, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Class act
The following users liked this post:
aomechmarine (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 06:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by schen72
I have a leased company car and that's exactly how I do it. I only change the oil every 15k miles or so. I never rotate tires. I don't do any other maintenance. None of this damages the car in the short term. All the dealer can really check for is body damage and that kind of stuff. I always drive the hell out of it. I don't slow down at all for speed bumps. If you never changed the brake fluid, there's no way for them to know it caused any damage. I also don't put in premium gas even when it's required, in leased and rental cars. I believe it was Jeremy Clarkson who said, "the fastest car in the world is a rental car."
OK.. since this is not your persoanl property, I can see why you don't necessarily go above and beyond. BUT - a few things

1) it COULD actually be argued that oil CAN actually last longer then most oil change intervals call for... BUT, why would you risk engine failure... ? Doesn't matter if you are not the owner... YOU ARE IN THE CAR.

2) Why would you NOT rotate tires to insure proper wheel balance and best grip and working conditions..? Again if the tires fail YOU will be in the car... and you can get these done for free..?

3)Other maintenance... most of it IS dealer recommended BS or you can do it yourself, so again MAYBE I can see that... Or you COULD just do it yourself...

4) You don't slow down at speed bumps... OK , so you WANT to lose control and die..? on uneven tires..?

5) not putting in the proper required gas and purposely changing the oil over double what the recommended interval actually is.... That's being knowingly malicious. If the dealership felt like it, they can easily sue you. And contrary to your belief, The dealership CAN tell if you have been doing proper maintenance or not... it really depends how long you have the car, or how many miles you put on it... An d really just how hard the tech inspects the car... If you are driving 15,000 miles a year, you are probably saving all of $100-$200 a year on oil change and rotations, and that's at dealership prices..... Gas..? Variable, but probably about the same... So to "save" maybe a $300 a year, you are willing to increase your chances of dying in an accident and risk being sued for thousands of dollars..? RIIIIIGHT.....

Also just plain dirtbag to not respect people's property man.. WOW... I say that at the end because I can clearly see your self preservation was more important then respecting others property...

IN YOUR EFFORT TO SAVE ALL OF MAYBE A FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS, YOU COULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THOUSANDS IN DAMAGES....
Old 01-17-2017, 11:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aomechmarine
OK.. since this is not your persoanl property, I can see why you don't necessarily go above and beyond. BUT - a few things

1) it COULD actually be argued that oil CAN actually last longer then most oil change intervals call for... BUT, why would you risk engine failure... ? Doesn't matter if you are not the owner... YOU ARE IN THE CAR.

2) Why would you NOT rotate tires to insure proper wheel balance and best grip and working conditions..? Again if the tires fail YOU will be in the car... and you can get these done for free..?

3)Other maintenance... most of it IS dealer recommended BS or you can do it yourself, so again MAYBE I can see that... Or you COULD just do it yourself...

4) You don't slow down at speed bumps... OK , so you WANT to lose control and die..? on uneven tires..?

5) not putting in the proper required gas and purposely changing the oil over double what the recommended interval actually is.... That's being knowingly malicious. If the dealership felt like it, they can easily sue you. And contrary to your belief, The dealership CAN tell if you have been doing proper maintenance or not... it really depends how long you have the car, or how many miles you put on it... An d really just how hard the tech inspects the car... If you are driving 15,000 miles a year, you are probably saving all of $100-$200 a year on oil change and rotations, and that's at dealership prices..... Gas..? Variable, but probably about the same... So to "save" maybe a $300 a year, you are willing to increase your chances of dying in an accident and risk being sued for thousands of dollars..? RIIIIIGHT.....

Also just plain dirtbag to not respect people's property man.. WOW... I say that at the end because I can clearly see your self preservation was more important then respecting others property...

IN YOUR EFFORT TO SAVE ALL OF MAYBE A FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS, YOU COULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THOUSANDS IN DAMAGES....
Dude, you crack me up. Your post makes it sound like you live in fear of being in trouble by the dealer. That is literally something I never think about. I still maintain that even if you don't do ANY maintenance on a lease car for the 36k mile period, it'll still work just fine. It'll probably fall apart around year 5, but the car won't be your problem anymore. Isn't that the whole purpose of a lease? You pay a lot of extra money (leases are expensive) but the benefit if basically driving it like a rental car. In my case, I'm only leasing because someone else is paying the bill. I would never lease with my own money.

When I mention not slowing down over speed bumps, I'm not driving freeway speeds. I mean, I'm not slowing down to 1mph like I do in my own cars. I drive over them at the "full" 25mph that I'm driving in parking lots and whatnot. And no, there is no way for them to be able to discern "abuse" over that period of time. I mean, obviously they can see body damage and of course I'm not purposely ramming things. But if every day I decided to rev it up to redline when cold, they can not tell any damage in the lease period. Again, maybe around year 8 the engine will fall apart, but even the most unreliable German engine will still work fine for 3 years. Using lower octane gas will probably permanently harm the engine around year 5. It works just fine in the short term. And if not, it's under warranty. If you think leasees are taking care of their cars like it's their own, you are very mistaken. I personally would never buy a formerly leased car. I only buy new and in cash when it's my own car. When someone is paying the bill, I gravitate towards German cars and short term 2 year leases.

I've never had any dealership tech inspect a returned lease car, other than giving it a 30 second visual inspection on the outside making sure there are no huge dents. Then they are more than happy to get me into my next lease car. If what I'm doing is so bad, it doesn't seem to bother the Mercedes dealer.