ILX suspension noise

Old 11-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Spirited Driver
Colin- What are your thoughts? Have to heard anything regarding Tech Line# BTS 121001?
No I haven't heard anything on this other than what I read here. I also haven't had any sold customers comment to me on strange noises so maybe it's a production issue with certain VIN ranges? It's interesting that the other dealer that was working independently on the theory that it was a motor mount turned out to be correct. I really had strong reservations that it was a shock absorber.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
No I haven't heard anything on this other than what I read here. I also haven't had any sold customers comment to me on strange noises so maybe it's a production issue with certain VIN ranges? It's interesting that the other dealer that was working independently on the theory that it was a motor mount turned out to be correct. I really had strong reservations that it was a shock absorber.
Yes, Acura of Tempe Arizona was on to something based on the posters comments. Now that we know what the problem is and there is a temporary fix, how do we push this along to have a replacement part/recall issued ASAP. I have contacted Acura relations on my end. Anything you suggest to get the ball rolling quicker? Thanks.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Unfortunately, this will never happen any quicker than it's going to happen. I can't speak specifically to this issue but in the past they have always taken a very deliberate approach to this type of thing. They will need to identify exactly what the problem is, test the fix in the field, manufacture (if necessary) the replacement parts, get the replacement parts to all the dealers, get the legal team to write up the note to owners, identify owners affected (by Vin number) and then mail out all the notices.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Racer

Unfortunately, this will never happen any quicker than it's going to happen. I can't speak specifically to this issue but in the past they have always taken a very deliberate approach to this type of thing. They will need to identify exactly what the problem is, test the fix in the field, manufacture (if necessary) the replacement parts, get the replacement parts to all the dealers, get the legal team to write up the note to owners, identify owners affected (by Vin number) and then mail out all the notices.
Thanks Colin. That's unfortunate in my case that the chain of command appears to be lengthy, but it's totally understandable.

You recommend i get this temporary fix for now or just hold off till they issue a new part? What would you do?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Racer

Just received a call from an Acura case manager as a follow up. She advised that she followed up with the engineering department and that they are aware of the issue with the engine mount and are working to get more concrete information in order to resolve the noise some of us are experiencing.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Suzuka Master

It was good that they followed up with you. At least you know they haven't forgotten.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Racer

It was good that they followed up with you. At least you know they haven't forgotten.

Yes. Cudos to Acura. The case manager was so nice that she actually offered me a free service as a courtesy, given that I've been a loyal customer and that I have a case# open and had brought this issue to their attention. I then mentioned to her that along with the engine mount noise, my case # also included a trunk floor mat noise/flapping I've been experiencing, which was a minor issue compared to the engine mount noise but still annoying. I then asked her if I can have a trunk tray instead, since I've had it with my other two Acuras in the past and new it would probably solve the noise with the added weight; rather than the free service she was offering. Without hesitation, she said not a problem. Free trunk tray being picked up on Monday at my local dealership, courtesy of Acura.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Racer

Related post from the "trunk floor/lid noise" thread

Just got back from the dealership. Went on a test ride with the service & parts director. My luck, I was not able to duplicate the noise, AGAIN.

Here is my take:

I am becoming more and more convinced that this s a suspension related issue. Whether it's the newly designed struts for 2013 ILX & RDX or some other component belonging to the suspension that the noise is coming from.

I went into he dealer without anything in the trunk. No spare, lid or tools. Driving ALONE it is very easy to duplicate the LOUD thump coming from the rear, while going over sharp edged uneven surfaces. Unfortunately, I am unable to duplicate that noise as easily with more weight in the car. Are you noticing the same?

With the spare, lid and tools in the car the thump is still there but not as loud or easily duplicated as it is without those three items in the trunk.

This has me believing this is a weight/suspension related issue, the new multi-stage struts/dampers that are in this car as being the culprit. I've mentioned this in the "suspension noise" thread. Some of us are experiencing this, some are not. Is it just a bad batch?

I have another thread I opened regarding the front passenger engine mount. Is it really the engine mount or is it ANOTHER bad strut in the front as well?

Left the Acura dealership hopeless. Director was willing to help but unfortunately couldn't duplicate the noise while he went along for a test drive. Again, added weight, wasn't able to duplicate the noise as easily as if I was alone.

In result, I can in fact rule out that the noise is NOT coming from the trunk/floor lid, as the title of this thread indicates.

Lastly, given that I am experiencing front passenger-end nocking along with the rear thumping while going over rough roads, has me believing this is a suspension issue and not something else as some others have suggested.

Please continue to document your experiences and findings. Not just on here but with the dealership as well so that we can get to the bottom of this rather sooner than later. Thank You.

Last edited by Spirited Driver; 01-02-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry you had a hard time replicating the problems while at the dealer.

But I know I could replicate the rear end "thunk" easily for a dealer - just haven't had time yet. It happens pretty frequently for me.

I don't think it's a suspension issue as much as I once did; it's gotta be something loose - perhaps the rear under-side plastic cover. Wish I could hoist it up and take a look for anything loose.

If it's the shocks, it'll be an easy fix.

I should point out that the noise, in my case, is not exclusive to either side of the vehicle - I learned this from driving over manhole covers on each side.

I think this rules out shocks because it's hard to imagine 2 faulty shocks on a brand new car.

I'll post any additional findings.

-J
The following 2 users liked this post by ofplon:
4cruizn (01-02-2013), Trentimus (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by ofplon
Sorry you had a hard time replicating the problems while at the dealer.

But I know I could replicate the rear end "thunk" easily for a dealer - just haven't had time yet. It happens pretty frequently for me.

I don't think it's a suspension issue as much as I once did; it's gotta be something loose - perhaps the rear under-side plastic cover. Wish I could hoist it up and take a look for anything loose.

If it's the shocks, it'll be an easy fix.

I should point out that the noise, in my case, is not exclusive to either side of the vehicle - I learned this from driving over manhole covers on each side.

I think this rules out shocks because it's hard to imagine 2 faulty shocks on a brand new car.

I'll post any additional findings.

-J
Since everyone keeps refering to the black plastic cover under the car I could take it off this weekend and drive around with it off to see if it helps. I am also gonna do a full write up on the door removal so be on the look out for that.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Cruisin'

That would be awesome, Trentimus - I don't have the courage to pull off the rear cover.

Please do let us know if it make a difference. I guess while you're under there see if anything else looks loose...-J
Old 01-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Trentimus
Since everyone keeps refering to the black plastic cover under the car I could take it off this weekend and drive around with it off to see if it helps. I am also gonna do a full write up on the door removal so be on the look out for that.
That would be great. It does sound like a hollow thump. The plastic piece may very well be the culprit. Hope so. Please keep us posted. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by spdandpwr
I went through the forums and didn't notice any issues with the rdx'ers (2nd gen), but it wouldn't surprise me seeing as they aren't the same part numbers. So there could be a defect in just the ILX dampers.
The same thing is going on with the new RDX rear suspension.
I have had both dampers replaced with no improvement. What's interesting is that the ILX loner that I drove made the exact same sound!
My initial thoughts were it sounds like the spare tire cover bouncing around just like several ILX owners thought.
I have driven with the cover removed and the spare tire removed but the hollow loose lumber sound persists on sharp bumps.
I suspect it gets worse as the temperature drops and I live in a relatively cold climate zone.
I personally think that the new dampers are junk despite Acuras claims about this wonderful new technology.
I have taken it upon myself to source a pair of Munroe OESpectrum shocks that fit the 1998 Odyssey. They have the same mounting attachments and are quite close in length to the RDX damper.
If anyone is interested in the outcome, my progress can be followed here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/clunking-rear-874856/
Old 01-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
Guess this give me an excuse to swap out for coils
Old 01-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Guess this give me an excuse to swap out for coils
I think they just hit my priority list..
Old 01-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Having the same issue as hand-filer in my rear RDX suspension - my dealer has not yet replaced anything as I took it in last week, and they told me nothing was wrong. I am in process of escalating the issue.

Cheers
Old 01-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by QN52
Having the same issue as hand-filer in my rear RDX suspension - my dealer has not yet replaced anything as I took it in last week, and they told me nothing was wrong. I am in process of escalating the issue.

Cheers
Thank You. Please keep us posted. My guess it's the "new" mutl-stage dampers/struts.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:32 PM
JvB
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just to add my 2 cents, I have the same issue regarding noise coming from the back end. I've removed the accessory trunk mat and spare tire cover and I still hear the noise. It is most prominent on sharp edged bumps (ie manhole covers that are sunken by 1-2") and it goes away when you add weight to the back of the car. I haven't been to the dealer yet, but I will at some point in the next couple of weeks and report back.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:10 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
when over a speed hump at a moderate 10mph (saw it at the last moment) heard a loud noise from the front suspension...doesn't look like these shocks like sudden changes in road surface.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 229 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by JvB
Just to add my 2 cents, I have the same issue regarding noise coming from the back end. I've removed the accessory trunk mat and spare tire cover and I still hear the noise. It is most prominent on sharp edged bumps (ie manhole covers that are sunken by 1-2") and it goes away when you add weight to the back of the car. I haven't been to the dealer yet, but I will at some point in the next couple of weeks and report back.
My experience exactly. I haven't been into the dealer as yet as it is not that big a deal at this point and still have 40% on the mid. I was going to go into the dealer the other day when I saw a 2009 RDX/Navi with only 22,000 kms on it but damn, missed it by a day.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 229 Posts
when over a speed hump at a moderate 10mph (saw it at the last moment) heard a loud noise from the front suspension...doesn't look like these shocks like sudden changes in road surface.
I haven't heard anything in the front to this point but I always take speed bumps slowly as most of them are ridiculous in the height and drop. Why don't they standardize the size of speed bumps as some are just crazy imo.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Racer

The noise is getting LOUDER & LOUDER for me, especially in the back. Only wheel I don't hear much noise from is the front drivers side.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

The noise is getting LOUDER & LOUDER for me, especially in the back. Only wheel I don't hear much noise from is the front drivers side.
Take it in and get it looked at. The more people that complain, the more likely that Honda will deal with this in the form of a recall.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hand-filer
Take it in and get it looked at. The more people that complain, the more likely that Honda will deal with this in the form of a recall.
Have done so on numerous occasions. Unfortunately when I get to the dealer, all the roads in the area appear to be as smooth as tissue paper, resulting in not being able to "duplicate" the noise that I do in my area. Frustrating.

I am convinced that it's the multi-stage struts/dampers on the car.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Have done so on numerous occasions. Unfortunately when I get to the dealer, all the roads in the area appear to be as smooth as tissue paper, resulting in not being able to "duplicate" the noise that I do in my area. Frustrating.

I am convinced that it's the multi-stage struts/dampers on the car.
Scout around the area of the dealership and find a road that is bad enough to cause the noise. Then go on a test ride with the tech. If the noise is as bad as you say it is, it shouldn't be all that difficult to prove it.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:49 AM
Instructor

Hearditfrom the front today for the first time on my rdx...
Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

I am trying to pretend it doesn't exist.. dealer basically implies that they wont fix anything minor on the car unless Acura themselves issues a TSB. So, say the weatherstripping is no bueno.. Dealer: "does it leak?" Customer: "No" Dealer: "Don't care"
Old 01-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Trentimus
Hey. Were you able to pull the plastic cover under the car to see if it was this making the noise?
Old 01-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

I didn't even bother based on the RDX people saying they experience it as well.. sorry, with the wreck I have been super busy too.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Cruisin'

That's cool Trent. I too am in the midst of a messy insurance situation with my previous vehicle. If you ever get around to pulling off that undercover let us know. Otherwise I hope it's smooth sailing for you and your insurance claim.

I am now suspicious of the plastic panel the rear speakers are housed in as a possible culprit for rear end noise. It is very, very flimsy.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Burning Brakes

It's not the cover under the car, it's not the spare tire cover. Trust me - it's the shocks! I'll have the proof for you by this weekend......or I'll be eating crow.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Racer

It's not the cover under the car, it's not the spare tire cover. Trust me - it's the shocks! I'll have the proof for you by this weekend......or I'll be eating crow.
Shocks or Struts?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Shocks or Struts?
Rear shocks. My struts are fine.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Racer

Rear shocks. My struts are fine.
How did you come to that conclusion?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Burning Brakes

How did you come to that conclusion?
You'll just have to wait until my next post.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Cruisin'

You'll just have to wait until my next post.
Appreciate your thoughts, but the fact that you do not actually own an ILX causes me to be a bit skeptical that your diagnosis applies to us. Time will tell I suppose.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:52 AM
Instructor

I think the ILX/RDX use the same type of shocks/same technology that is new; that's why it may apply.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ofplon
Appreciate your thoughts, but the fact that you do not actually own an ILX causes me to be a bit skeptical that your diagnosis applies to us. Time will tell I suppose.
And so you should be.
I spent a day driving around in one. The noise is identical to the RDX as is the shock technology.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Suzuka Master

From AcuraNews.com

AMPLITUDE REACTIVE DAMPERS

A new technology for Acura, Amplitude Reactive Dampers are used on the 2013 ILX to provide a superior level of ride comfort together with crisp, precise handling. The dampers operate in two distinct performance parameters, including a Ride Zone and a Handling Zone. Each zone has a unique set of compression and rebound damping forces tailored to provide the desired ride and handling attributes. In essence, the amplitude reactive dampers operate like two separate suspension systems combined in one. The new dampers are entirely mechanical in operation with no electronics required.

Ride Zone
For short suspension stroke (between 1-5 mm travel), the dampers provide minimal damping effect to provide an extremely comfortable ride where little suspension travel is needed— such as on smooth road surfaces.

Handling Zone
For longer suspension stroke (over 10 mm travel), a second damping circuit is engaged. Here damping effect is maximized for enhanced steering feel, improved body-roll control and more secure handling— such as during aggressive cornering or on severe road conditions.

With the Amplitude Reactive Dampers, by adding a second spring floating valve above a conventional main piston valve, the IDX is able to maintain the superior driving dynamics.

LOW-FRICTION BUSHINGS

Reducing the hysterics of the lower front and rear suspension bushings helps improve ride quality during small-amplitude road imperfections without sacrificing steering precision, handling response or ride quality under strenuous cornering or rough road conditions. Front and rear anti-roll bars utilize Teflon bushings for smooth operation.
I'm still a little skeptical of the dampeners if only because they're on all 4 corners and I'd imagine we'd hear it randomly from different positions if they were the root cause. However anything is possible.

I'm more interested in some comments earlier that it seems louder in colder climates. I'm in Hawaii and haven't heard this noise nor have any customers commented on it (to my knowledge).

I noticed that the car is using teflon roll bar bushings. Way back in my autox days, these were known to be very noisey vs. the OEM rubber bushings in the Integra. I wonder if these are not faring well in cold weather? Can anyone provide feedback on the effects of this temperature theory?
Old 01-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Racer

From AcuraNews.com

I'm still a little skeptical of the dampeners if only because they're on all 4 corners and I'd imagine we'd hear it randomly from different positions if they were the root cause. However anything is possible.

I'm more interested in some comments earlier that it seems louder in colder climates. I'm in Hawaii and haven't heard this noise nor have any customers commented on it (to my knowledge).

I noticed that the car is using teflon roll bar bushings. Way back in my autox days, these were known to be very noisey vs. the OEM rubber bushings in the Integra. I wonder if these are not faring well in cold weather? Can anyone provide feedback on the effects of this temperature theory?

Colin- I can. I purchased the car in August, where it's warm in the Northeast. I have noticed a considerable difference since then. As it began becoming cooler, it has gotten progressively louder. I can't for sure make a claim if its due to the change in temperature or just increased wear and tear on a faulty part.

Like I've mentioned several times, my guess would be that it's these newly designed dampers or something associated with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ILX suspension noise