ILX Brakes issue, what a shame.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:39 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ILX Brakes issue, what a shame.

Let me start with that I got to drive more than 10 cars for through out past few years.

It's been a year since I leased my ILX and I'm quite happy with it, except for the issue with brakes. Issue has been fixed, but it still bothers me ever after and I would like to share my thoughts and see what other ILX owners think.

I think that squeaky noise from new car brakes is unacceptable and I've never had that issue with any other cars. It seems like an extreme rackless in quality control of the product. Brake noise, in ILX is caused by 2 components, brake pads and rotors. I could understand if there would be more parts involved or if Acura used some kind of pioneering braking technology and they screwed it up. I'm sure there is a department of hundreds of people who are responsible for designing brakes which will not be very different from previous versions, but they did poor job in that. Then comes quality control department which is probably consists of another hundred engineers. They were not able to catch that issue either. Now comes the problem behind the acknowledging the issue. So far as I can remember reports of issue has been seen from June 2015, but recall was issued so much later. I think it should not have taken Acura more than half a year to acknowledge the issue and start working on the fix. Also after reading the experience of so many posters their dealers didn't try hard enough to eliminate the issue.

Bottom line is "SOMEBODY F*CKED UP BIG TIME"

So here comes the question. Why would I go back to acura after my lease is over? This issue seems like a spit in a face for ILX owners, it's not painful or dangerous and we can live with it, but why should we. Maybe there are far more issues with that car which Acura is hiding from us.

Bottom line here is, I don't think I would go back to Acura when there are so many alternatives and there is 99.9% chance that I will not have to deal with similar issue.

Last edited by unnamedny; 05-03-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I leased my ILX back in October last year, my brakes squeal to this day. I have to modulate the brakes at certain pressures to avoid causing the squeak/squeal. On some days, it's merely a high pitch, on others it sounds like a train coming off of its tracks. I have my first service due soon, and I will ask them to change my rotors due to the technical service bulletin. It really is a shame.

Last edited by ilx.cel; 05-03-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:58 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
My TL squeals at 5-10 mph when braking in those low speeds. Even my wifes 14 Honda Sport squeals. Wonder if Honda/Acura are using cheap rotors/pads these days.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:39 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by nothome17
My TL squeals at 5-10 mph when braking in those low speeds. Even my wifes 14 Honda Sport squeals. Wonder if Honda/Acura are using cheap rotors/pads these days.
I've driven Chevy Volt, '12 accord, dodge ram, toyota 4runner, sienna and camry, ' 13 honda fit, ford vans and f1500, chevy sonic, Hyundai elantra. I test drove VW gti and GLI as well.

None of the cars had brake noise issues. There are issues sometimes due to improper service of brakes, usually when nothing is applied between cylinders and rear side of pads.

But again, no matter how old is your car, brake noise is completely unacceptable.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:00 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by unnamedny
But again, no matter how old is your car, brake noise is completely unacceptable.
It's a car, not a space craft.

as of late, Honda QC has declined.
and I'm talking about the past decade.
2009 and forward is sucking for Honda.
the underlining out of all this is that they are trying to get back to good quality cars, as indicated by the new civic.

but back to your issue, the car is a machine. and it sounds like you know what causes it. stop whining and fix it!

it doesnt involve much.

and cost of vehicle has nothing to do with it. (because essentially, you do have a civic)

and sorry for being so brash.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:47 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
It's a car, not a space craft.

as of late, Honda QC has declined.
and I'm talking about the past decade.
2009 and forward is sucking for Honda.
the underlining out of all this is that they are trying to get back to good quality cars, as indicated by the new civic.

but back to your issue, the car is a machine. and it sounds like you know what causes it. stop whining and fix it!

it doesnt involve much.

and cost of vehicle has nothing to do with it. (because essentially, you do have a civic)

and sorry for being so brash.
Cost has nothing to do here, my dad drives honda fit, one of cheapest cars on market and this issue is not here. I have decent paying job and I do not want to lose pay time taking it to mechanic. I have enough stress on my shoulders.

I'm not an auto mechanic, but I work in construction industry with extremely high standards. And I just don't think I will come back to a car maker who has hundreds of highly educated people on board who were able to miss an issue such as this.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:58 AM

as stated, it's a QC issue.
your job involves a lot of tight tolerances, so I understand that it wouldnt fly in your industry.. (I QC seismic data and I also have to be pretty spot on.)

it's just something that Honda has to fix at it's core employees.
and it has been going on since 2009.

change of CEO's, etc. during this time...

we can ONLY hope going forward, Honda has fixed these simple quality control issues.
if not, there are tons of different auto manufactures that would LOVE to take my money over Honda...

I have a 2006 TL. (in my opinion, one of the last great Hondas during that time period)
when, I bought the car, I planned to have it for 10 years.
I've had it for six now and another 4 will come easy. I can easily extend my original plan to another 5 years.

when the time comes, I certainly wouldnt buy an Acura over the competition, Ie: bmw, audi, mercB, etc.

Last edited by justnspace; 05-04-2016 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:18 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I received my ILX in March 2016'. I also noticed the same brake issues as most of you which started around 20000km (12500 miles). The squealing comes right before the car comes to a complete stop during a braking sequence. My car is now at 33000km (~20500 miles) and this issue seems to have gone away. Never had the time to drive it to the dealer to have it checked.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:29 AM

i mean if you really think about it....
metal stopping metal.....theres bound to be squeaks somewhere.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:14 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I've had my 14' ILX in for a terrible rear brake clunking 5 separate times now. It is so loud and embarassing makes me not want to drive passengers. Dealer has still not fixed the issue, starting to regret my purchase especially in tandem with the awful suspension on this car. Should of went for that GTI or WRX
Old 05-06-2016, 12:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ILXDyna
I've had my 14' ILX in for a terrible rear brake clunking 5 separate times now. It is so loud and embarassing makes me not want to drive passengers. Dealer has still not fixed the issue, starting to regret my purchase especially in tandem with the awful suspension on this car. Should of went for that GTI or WRX
Ahaha.. I understand how you feel. Whenever I hear a squeal it gets my attention. I would understand if its a clunker but Acura?

Metal on metal, sure if a bunch of cars are squealing in traffic but I don't hear other cars squealing other than trucks. Maybe Honda/Acura should switch to the other cars brake manufacturer on the road that aren't squealing. You can down play it or make it sound better that its the norm but its happening to ILX owners. What was funny was that I did drive next to an ILX in traffic and heard it squealing. Up close and personal and i'm not the owner lol..

Maybe the only fix is to buy after market rotors and brakes.

Last edited by nothome17; 05-06-2016 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
My rear brakes were making noise a while back. I check them out myself and saw they were worn down pretty far after not very long.

Replaced the pads. No noise since.

Have you tried replacing the pads?

Last edited by usdmJON; 05-06-2016 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:27 AM
Advanced

Ahaha.. I understand how you feel. Whenever I hear a squeal it gets my attention. I would understand if its a clunker but Acura?

Metal on metal, sure if a bunch of cars are squealing in traffic but I don't hear other cars squealing other than trucks. Maybe Honda/Acura should switch to the other cars brake manufacturer on the road that aren't squealing. You can down play it or make it sound better that its the norm but its happening to ILX owners. What was funny was that I did drive next to an ILX in traffic and heard it squealing. Up close and personal and i'm not the owner lol..

Maybe the only fix is to buy after market rotors and brakes.
This is not a squeal though, its a very loud rotational clunking noise. Pads are literally the only thing that havent been changed yet, so it must be hardware related. Pads have lots of life left, I am easy on my brakes.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ILXDyna
This is not a squeal though, its a very loud rotational clunking noise. Pads are literally the only thing that havent been changed yet, so it must be hardware related. Pads have lots of life left, I am easy on my brakes.
Rotational clunk noise is usually caused by bad swirl on rotor. However, if you havent replaced the pads ask your dealer to replace them too. Due to bad rotor, pads probably got uneven wear and this maybe is causing NVH issue. Also, have them inspect pads ears and bracket pad springs. Sometimes too tight/loose fit between pad ears and pad springs cause rattle/clunk noise issue.

Is your noise high or low frequency?
Old 05-06-2016, 01:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by eugeneymich
Rotational clunk noise is usually caused by bad swirl on rotor. However, if you havent replaced the pads ask your dealer to replace them too. Due to bad rotor, pads probably got uneven wear and this maybe is causing NVH issue. Also, have them inspect pads ears and bracket pad springs. Sometimes too tight/loose fit between pad ears and pad springs cause rattle/clunk noise issue.

Is your noise high or low frequency?
Rotors and calipers have just been replaced by the dealer. Sound still came back after a few months. Noise is low freq. Something is def moving around that shouldnt be.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:30 PM
Suzuka Master

And im out of this argument again.

Can a mod restrict this argument to one thread page please.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:59 AM
Racer

Argument? More of a constructive conversion. SMH
Old 05-07-2016, 03:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Argument? More of a constructive conversion. SMH
Look. The amount of people with zero issues with their ilx vastly outweigh those that do.

If these conversations returned results they would be welcome but they dont. And when advuce is given it is hardly ever taken because majority of the people with issues arent willing to do anything the dealer doesn't sign off on.

So these conversations are futile. Acura will fix it when they see its enough of an issue. Until then i see three options:

1. Just deal with it.

2. Fix it yourself via the advice that has been given many times.

3. Sell the car.

Conversation other than that regarding how shit of a company acura is because your brakes make a sound is just getting tired.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:19 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by usdmJON
Look. The amount of people with zero issues with their ilx vastly outweigh those that do.

If these conversations returned results they would be welcome but they dont. And when advuce is given it is hardly ever taken because majority of the people with issues arent willing to do anything the dealer doesn't sign off on.

So these conversations are futile. Acura will fix it when they see its enough of an issue. Until then i see three options:

1. Just deal with it.

2. Fix it yourself via the advice that has been given many times.

3. Sell the car.

Conversation other than that regarding how shit of a company acura is because your brakes make a sound is just getting tired.
Keep drinking the Kool-Aid...

Forums are around in order for owners and enthusiasts to talk about their cars, whether its the positive or negative aspects of those cars. You come in to every thread and put a damper on that. If you don't have anything to contribute, don't say anything at all. Also, no one ever takes your advice because its generally not very good ("deal with it", "sell the car" etc). Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
nothome17 (01-24-2017)