Driver Airbag Inflator Recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 10:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Driver Airbag Inflator Recall

Hey guys ILX just got recalled for driver airbag inflator. It seems like 2013-2015 and early production 2016 ILX got affected. There is no remedy yet and it looks like we have to wait until fall.

The following users liked this post:
peti1212 (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 10:49 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for finding this. I will make sure to check with my dealer next time I'm there for service.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I am curious, if they have a stop sale for the current models, are we suppose to not drive ours until a fix is applied?

If it is too dangerous for them to sell, why should we drive ours?
Old 02-06-2016, 09:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I heard Honda ditched Takata back in October, so any vehicles that were manufactured after October will not be affected (I think that's why they said "Early Production 2016 ILX")
Old 02-06-2016, 06:08 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by csj0219
I heard Honda ditched Takata back in October, so any vehicles that were manufactured after October will not be affected (I think that's why they said "Early Production 2016 ILX")
Where did you hear that Honda ditched Takata - a very unlikely scenario since they hold a minority stake in Takata.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:51 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by weather
I am curious, if they have a stop sale for the current models, are we suppose to not drive ours until a fix is applied?

If it is too dangerous for them to sell, why should we drive ours?
Where do you see a stop sale? I haven't seen that reported anywhere.

That aside, the cars are perfectly safe to drive. The propellant used breaks down over time in high humidity areas. All failed airbags were prior to the 2008 redesign.

This is more of a pre-emptive recall because in 7 or 8 years the propellant may have deteriorated.

If you are concerned about the safety of your car, then follow the instructions in the recall notice and speak with your dealer.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Takata braces for exodus of air bag customers after losing Honda | The Japan Times
ceb (02-06-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 08:17 AM
Rae Ray

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Vehicles affected
Old 02-07-2016, 08:49 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rae Rad

Vehicles affected
Interesting. That means the RLX sales may increase since it is virtually the only car that Acura has for sale

With the ILX and RDX on indefinite stop-sale, this will become interesting.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:55 AM
Rae Ray

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Interesting. That means the RLX sales may increase since it is virtually the only car that Acura has for sale

With the ILX and RDX on indefinite stop-sale, this will become interesting.
Tlx and Mdx models are not affected as well, Acura actually has 3 vehicles for sale
Old 02-07-2016, 11:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Where do you see a stop sale? I haven't seen that reported anywhere.
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-010.PDF

I see a few have already posted the information but still...
Old 02-08-2016, 10:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I have a very early 2013 (VIN #82) and I'm sure it will be affected, but I haven't heard anything from my dealership yet.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:54 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm.. I def have one of the early production 2016 ILX's.. is there a place to check what VIN's are affected? or does anyone know?

Curious as to what they will say if I do call and tell them that i'm concerned about my safety/life
Old 02-08-2016, 03:13 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Fox137
Hmm.. I def have one of the early production 2016 ILX's.. is there a place to check what VIN's are affected? or does anyone know?

Curious as to what they will say if I do call and tell them that i'm concerned about my safety/life
Safercar.gov if you are in the US has a place to plug in your VIN.

You can certainly ask for a loaner - let us know what they say.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:50 PM
Calgarian

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
The stop sale is in place on the effected vehicles in Canada. The stop sale also includes pre-owned vehicles. Dealerships have to store the effected vehicle until at least this fall. A compensation process is being worked on between Acura and the Dealerships. This definitely will hurt the Preowned Depts and our trade values.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:53 PM
Calgarian

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Very few of our 2016 inventory was effected by the stop sale. the bigger issue is in the pre-owned dept.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:06 PM
Instructor

just checked my Vin Ends in 000958, and I own one of the affected vehicles. The recall notice (Says last refreshed Feb 15th, 2016) now says that parts will not be available until SUMMER of 2016.

I will call Acura Client Relations tomorrow and see what I can work out. Per the recall notice:

REMEDY:
THE REMEDY PARTS NEEDED TO CONDUCT DRIVER'S AIRBAG INFLATOR RECALLS WILL BECOME AVAILABLE IN SUMMER OF 2016. ACURA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS IN A N INITIAL LETTER WITH A SECOND LETTER BEING MAILED WHEN PARTS ARE AVAILABLE. PLEASE DISCUSS YOUR SPECIFIC NEEDS AND CONCERNS WITH YOUR DEALER, INCLUDING THE PROVISION OF, OR REIMBURSEMENT FOR, TEMPORARY ALTERNATIVE TRANSPORTATION AS NECESSARY. OWNERS MAY CONTACT ACURA'S CLIENT RELATIONS AT 1-888-382-2238, AND SELECT OPTION 4. ACURA'S CAMPAIGN NUMBER FOR THIS RECALL IS JY2.

Will let you guys know what happens.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:44 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
Is it just CPO or all preowned?
Old 02-17-2016, 02:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do we have list for Canadian ILXs?
Old 02-18-2016, 07:36 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I guess I'm the only person able to do a Googol search

Defect Investigations and Recalls - Transport Canada
Old 02-18-2016, 07:40 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by blacktsxwagon
Is it just CPO or all preowned?
You mean the stop sale? If it is within the VIN number range then it cannot be sold by a dealer, new, used or CPO is immaterial. Dealers cannot sell cars with open recalls that have not been corrected. Hence my first question about the stop sale. It does not affect all ILX's - just early 16's (whatever "early" means)
Old 02-18-2016, 09:20 AM
Instructor

For what it's worth... I picked up my car on March 28th 2015.. and per the US Safecars.gov site, it's one of the affected vehicles.

Quick Update - I called my local Acura dealer (Crest Acura in Syracuse NY - they've always been great to work with for service). Talked to the service manager about my concerns. He is going to set me up with a long term rental car - he is processing all the paper work with American Honda and i'm scheduled to drop my car off next friday and pick up the rental. I hope it's at least a decent rental given that i'm paying for what's considered an Entry Level Luxury vehicle!

I have some doubt this will all happen as planned, but I will update next week...
Old 03-01-2016, 12:35 PM
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
For what it's worth... I picked up my car on March 28th 2015.. and per the US Safecars.gov site, it's one of the affected vehicles.

Quick Update - I called my local Acura dealer (Crest Acura in Syracuse NY - they've always been great to work with for service). Talked to the service manager about my concerns. He is going to set me up with a long term rental car - he is processing all the paper work with American Honda and i'm scheduled to drop my car off next friday and pick up the rental. I hope it's at least a decent rental given that i'm paying for what's considered an Entry Level Luxury vehicle!

I have some doubt this will all happen as planned, but I will update next week...
What was the result?
Old 03-01-2016, 04:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by 4cruizn
Thanks for posting this. I have a very early 2013 (VIN #82) and I'm sure it will be affected, but I haven't heard anything from my dealership yet.
ditto
Old 03-21-2016, 10:23 AM
Instructor

Sorry for the delayed update. I did go to Crest Acura to pick up my loaner.. everything was setup in the system. They drove me to Enterprise down the street and I was given a 2016 Ford Focus Hatch...

I also just received the official recall notice from Acura this past week.. I'm going to call C/S and see what I can work out about a buyout...
Old 03-22-2016, 01:32 PM
leo
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello there, how happy are you with the Ford? I just talked to the dealer and they will also give me a rental paid by Acura but not sure what kind of car I will get. Last time, when my car was being fixed I got a Fiat and it was a bad experience. From the recall letter they say my ILX will be fixed on early summer, that's 3-4 months from now, I'm not sure if I can live all this time with an inferior car. Should I just keep on driving my ILX till they get the parts? What do you all think?
Old 03-22-2016, 01:36 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I wouldn't be worried. The likeliness that it may cause an injury is very unlikely. There have only been so many cases from millions of customers that I wouldn't really worry about it. You would have to be an extremely unlucky person to combine the likeliness of an accident, plus the likeliness of the bad airbag to cause an injury described in the recall information.
leo (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by leo
Hello there, how happy are you with the Ford? I just talked to the dealer and they will also give me a rental paid by Acura but not sure what kind of car I will get. Last time, when my car was being fixed I got a Fiat and it was a bad experience. From the recall letter they say my ILX will be fixed on early summer, that's 3-4 months from now, I'm not sure if I can live all this time with an inferior car. Should I just keep on driving my ILX till they get the parts? What do you all think?
To be honest, I thought i'd be severely disappointed with the Focus.. but after driving it for a while.. Sadly..I think it's actually QUIETER than my '16 ILX... it makes me regret my lease a little bit, hence the fact i'm going to see if I can get Acura to buy back my car.

I do miss the tech + smooth transmission from the ILX, but it really hasn't been too bad. The rental they gave me is a 2016 Focus Hatch SE with sunroof, it only had 800 miles when I picked it up.

My experience with Enterprise has been hit and miss, a good majority of their cars have higher miles when compared to Avis/Hertz...

I think if you can get a Focus Hatch / New Jetta with the TSI or a Newer Corolla, you'd be ok. You can probably call Acura and see which Enterprise location they work with and see what cars they have on hand before bringing in your ILX.

I understand all the comments about this being a non-issue. The chances of this happening are indeed very low, but it only takes 1 time for it to happen for you to regret it. If something were to happen to my wife while she is driving the ILX, I would never ever forgive myself.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:39 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry for the delayed update. I did go to Crest Acura to pick up my loaner.. everything was setup in the system. They drove me to Enterprise down the street and I was given a 2016 Ford Focus Hatch...

I also just received the official recall notice from Acura this past week.. I'm going to call C/S and see what I can work out about a buyout...
To be honest, I thought i'd be severely disappointed with the Focus.. but after driving it for a while.. Sadly..I think it's actually QUIETER than my '16 ILX... it makes me regret my lease a little bit, hence the fact i'm going to see if I can get Acura to buy back my car.

I do miss the tech + smooth transmission from the ILX, but it really hasn't been too bad. The rental they gave me is a 2016 Focus Hatch SE with sunroof, it only had 800 miles when I picked it up.

My experience with Enterprise has been hit and miss, a good majority of their cars have higher miles when compared to Avis/Hertz...

I think if you can get a Focus Hatch / New Jetta with the TSI or a Newer Corolla, you'd be ok. You can probably call Acura and see which Enterprise location they work with and see what cars they have on hand before bringing in your ILX.

I understand all the comments about this being a non-issue. The chances of this happening are indeed very low, but it only takes 1 time for it to happen for you to regret it. If something were to happen to my wife while she is driving the ILX, I would never ever forgive myself.
Fox137, I too go through Crest Acura but I haven't even bothered calling them since they said the parts will not be in until Summer. Also their service department is always a pain in the ass for me to deal with. What did you do to setup having them give you a loaner during this entire time?

I would LOVE for Acura to buy this damn car back if I'm not going to be able to use it for several months. My wife is 6mo. pregnant right now and I know it's probably a small chance of the airbags deploying, but I definitely do not feel safe about having her in this vehicle. I just know that with my luck, Acura will not agree to buy out my lease...
Old 03-23-2016, 08:12 AM
leo
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies. After reading your replies I think I have decided to keep my car for the 3-4 months before parts com in. spoke to Enterprise and they do not have a car that will be equal to my ILX Premium. Jut to get bluetooth (which I need) I will have to move to a mid size car and this will mean more gas, extra insurance and maybe Acura would not even cover it and I would have to pay the difference.
Yesterday I spoke to the service department and they were eager for me to bring the car and get a rental but also said that I could keep driving the car but had to sign an affidavit releasing Acura. Do you think they can make you do this?
I have to bring my car for service (always bring it to the dealer) but I'm not sure if they will make me sign once I'm there. I do not want to sign anything but want to keep driving my car. What do you all think?
Old 03-23-2016, 09:42 AM
Advanced

So yesterday after work I called Honda Motor Co. and was on hold with them for about 15min. just to be told that they cannot help me when it comes to anything finance related, so I had to call Acura Financial to ask about getting a buy-out on my lease. So I call them and was on hold for another 10min. and when someone finally picked up the phone, they hung up on me. So I decided to wait and try to call again today. So I call and spoke with a rep. who told me that at the moment Acura is not offering any sort of buy-out offers for people being affected by this lease. So I asked to speak to a supervisor and I voiced my opinion on how angry I am that I will be paying on a vehicle that I will not be able to drive for the next who knows how many months and it wont even be in my possession. I asked if they would waive my payments as long as I didn't have the vehicle and was told no because I would have some type of loaner that Acura would be covering... while that is fine and dandy, it doesn't change the fact that I would still be paying for my more expensive car that I am not even able to drive. It's just ridiculous. So the lady offered me to deffer my payments by 2 months... I go--- Are you kidding me??? I'm calling to get out of my lease and the only thing you can offer me is to extend it by 2 more months? What kind of crap is that?!

So she told me to call Honda Motor Co. and I informed her that I already tried and they told me to call them... then she informed me to call my local dealer and see what they can do for me. Obviously Acura Financial wasn't going to help me at all so I hung up and called my dealer (Crest Acura). I left the Service Manager a voicemail because he was "busy" and then I sent an email to the Sales Manager and my Sales Rep. to see if there was anything they could do to try and get me into a different lease. Still waiting to hear back from all parties...
Old 03-23-2016, 10:39 AM
Instructor

Leo - not sure if this will make a difference in your decision. My '16 Ford Focus rental from Enterprise does have BlueTooth/backup cam... etc. Not sure if they would even bring up the affidavit if you are just bringing in your car for service. If you don't mention it, I doubt they will bring it up.

Waldo87 - I'm in the exact same predicament as you, I wish they would just buy my lease out. I still have approx 24 months left. Sorry to hear that you got no where with calling Honda American and Acura Financial.. you may have just saved me a call and some extra frustration. I'm trying to look at the bright side to this, my car will have fewer driven miles when I get it back and I can take her on some long road trips.. or if i'm under my mileage allotment, I might be able to get some equity on my car when my lease is up - maybe.

As for dealing with Crest - I must have gotten lucky, I was able to reach the service manager pretty easily, he set up my appointment to come in and drop off my vehicle / pick up the rental from Enterprise. I did call pretty early on, before the official recall came out from Acura (I looked up my vin/recall notice on safercar.gov) so maybe I avoided the rush.

They were pretty accommodating (to me anyway), so maybe try calling back if you don't hear from the service manager soon. From my experience, Crest has been one of the better Acura dealers to work with (I live between Crest and another Acura dealer - Motorworld, and the Motorworld is terrible)

Good Luck and keep us updated.

Last edited by Fox137; 03-23-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:48 AM
Advanced

Leo - not sure if this will make a difference in your decision. My '16 Ford Focus rental from Enterprise does have BlueTooth/backup cam... etc. Not sure if they would even bring up the affidavit if you are just bringing in your car for service. If you don't mention it, I doubt they will bring it up.

Waldo87 - I'm in the exact same predicament as you, I wish they would just buy my lease out. I still have approx 24 months left. Sorry to hear that you go no where with calling Honda/Acura Financial.. you may have just saved me a call and some extra frustration. I'm trying to look at the bright side to this, my car will have fewer driven miles when I get it back and I can take her on some long road trips.. or if i'm under my mileage allotment, I might be able to get some equity on my car when my lease is up - maybe.

As for dealing with Crest - I must have gotten lucky, I was able to reach the service manager pretty easily, he set up my appointment to come in and drop off my vehicle / pick up the rental from Enterprise. I did call pretty early on, before the official recall came out from Acura (I looked up my vin/recall notice on safercar.gov) so maybe I avoided the rush.

They were pretty accommodating, so maybe try calling back if you don't hear from the service manager soon. From my experience, Crest has been one of the better dealers to work with (I'm between Crest and another Acura dealer, and the other guy is terrible)

Good Luck and keep us updated.
Yeah I've dealt with Crest's service department on several occasion and each time they've been extremely difficult to work with. The rotors on my 2013 TSX kept warping and they resurfaced them twice. Finally the third time I got them to agree to replace all 4 rotors. I told them that if they did that to begin with they could've saved everyone involved lots of time and money. Then the whole squealing brake issue on my 2016 ILX arose and luckily I brought in the paperwork I found online about it and they replaced the rotors with no problem. But even dealing with inspections, they take forever. I chose to wait one time and they took almost 2hrs to get it done. I would love to get out of my lease and go elsewhere, but that definitely isn't going to be able to happen.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:56 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by leo
Yesterday I spoke to the service department and they were eager for me to bring the car and get a rental but also said that I could keep driving the car but had to sign an affidavit releasing Acura. Do you think they can make you do this?
I have to bring my car for service (always bring it to the dealer) but I'm not sure if they will make me sign once I'm there. I do not want to sign anything but want to keep driving my car. What do you all think?
Consult an attorney before you sign anything like that.

Last edited by GrafZeppelin127; 03-23-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Waldo87
Yeah I've dealt with Crest's service department on several occasion and each time they've been extremely difficult to work with. The rotors on my 2013 TSX kept warping and they resurfaced them twice. Finally the third time I got them to agree to replace all 4 rotors. I told them that if they did that to begin with they could've saved everyone involved lots of time and money. Then the whole squealing brake issue on my 2016 ILX arose and luckily I brought in the paperwork I found online about it and they replaced the rotors with no problem. But even dealing with inspections, they take forever. I chose to wait one time and they took almost 2hrs to get it done. I would love to get out of my lease and go elsewhere, but that definitely isn't going to be able to happen.
Yeah, doesn't look like the lease buy out is going to happen. Sorry to hear of your experience at Crest.. I guess it's hit or miss.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:46 PM
Advanced

Yeah, doesn't look like the lease buy out is going to happen. Sorry to hear of your experience at Crest.. I guess it's hit or miss.
I still haven't heard back from anyone and I called and sent emails around 10am. Guess I'll be going there after work to see why it's so hard to get someone to get back to me...

After this lease is up, I'm pretty sure this will be the last vehicle I get from Crest.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:19 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Waldo87
I still haven't heard back from anyone and I called and sent emails around 10am. Guess I'll be going there after work to see why it's so hard to get someone to get back to me...

After this lease is up, I'm pretty sure this will be the last vehicle I get from Crest.
How'd it go?

If it helps, the Service manager I worked with was Jeff Darrow, not sure if they have more than one, if they do... maybe try asking for Jeff.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:12 AM
Advanced

How'd it go?

If it helps, the Service manager I worked with was Jeff Darrow, not sure if they have more than one, if they do... maybe try asking for Jeff.
Yeah, just Jeff. So I went in and asked for my sales rep. right away and she came over looking shocked that I was there. I asked if she got my messages and she said yes and I asked why she didn't reply and this was her response--- "Our Sales Manager is out today so what did you want me to do, tell you that we have to wait until he comes in to find out more information?". I just looked at her and go--- Yes! That's exactly what I wanted you to do and what you should have done! It's called customer service... be courteous and give me some type of update and acknowledge that you got my messages.

So she tried to play dumb about the whole recall and claimed they could do it right away... I told her she was wrong, so we went over to the service department and they told her she was wrong too. I complained about Jeff not calling me back and they said today was his first day back to work after vacation, blah blah blah... I told her to get a hold of me after she talks to the Sales Manager and see what we can do. Well I get home and the Service Manager Jeff calls me right away apologizing for not getting back to me sooner. So he schedules for me to get a loaner on Friday and this morning I've been going back and forth with my sales rep. about what I'm looking to do to get out of my lease and into another one. She finally got back to me and says there is nothing they can do. Somehow I would gain over $7k in negative equity which would be added onto a new car payment. I don't understand how that works when I'm asking them to completely buy out my lease. Whatever though... I had a feeling deep down that they wouldn't do anything for me.

All I can say is that I can't wait for this lease to be up so I can be done with Crest and Acura/Honda. 2 more years... joy!
Old 03-24-2016, 11:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Hello all, i also received the notice for the recall, went to the dealer where i bought the car and they had no rentals available , ended up going to the acura dealer by my job, got in at 8am,l got picked up by enterprise at 8:45 and off and driving in a brand new Impala with 4G and push start and all the goodies by 9am...they wanted to be sure i was going to be comfortable for the long term rental, Acura of Delray and enterprise are making sure customers are happy...and I am happy, not happy that i am not driving my car, but happy with the temporary situation fix...I will pick up my car with my wife tonight and park it in my garage till the part comes in..best case scenario i guess until the Takata mess gets fixed...good luck to all you out there...better safe than sorry...slight chance of getting hurt but you dont want to be the first in an Acura or worse your family member with you in the car getting hurt...
Old 03-24-2016, 12:03 PM
leo
Intermediate

...I will pick up my car with my wife tonight and park it in my garage till the part comes in..best case scenario i guess until the Takata mess gets fixed...

I was under the impression that the dealer will keep the car till they fixed it.
Am I wrong?

Quick Reply: Driver Airbag Inflator Recall