Check Gas Cap Light?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 07:00 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check Gas Cap Light?

So I was curious if anyone has encountered this issue that I am. About two weeks ago, my Check Gas Cap light came on. I thought maybe I forgot to tighten it (even though I always over click it when filling up). So, I unscrewed the cap, and re-screwed the cap to make sure it was on tightly. The light went off shortly after a couple drives that same day.

The next day, I went to leave work and my Emissions System light popped on. I got a little worried and took the car into the dealership to have them check it out for me. They pressure tested the system and it all came back good. They also shut the light off and sent me on my way. Fast forward two weeks to today. I went to leave work and my Check Gas Cap light came on once again. This is now starting to get annoying.

Has this happened to anyone else with a 2016 ILX? My guess is it is a bad gas cap, but it is so inconsistent that I can't figure it out myself. Any info is appreciated.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:36 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Do you top off the tank after filling it? That may cause raw gas to get into the evap canister. The overfilling will initially cause the "loose gas cap" light and the raw fuel in the evap canister causes the emission light.

This can happed days after you fill the car.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:57 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ceb
Do you top off the tank after filling it? That may cause raw gas to get into the evap canister. The overfilling will initially cause the "loose gas cap" light and the raw fuel in the evap canister causes the emission light.

This can happed days after you fill the car.
I've gotten 3 tanks of gas since I got the car back in July. First time, normal fill up. No issues. Second time, I filled up and gave the car maybe 1-2 extra pumps of fuel to top it off. Two days later my gas cap light came on and then the emissions light. Had it reset and they performed the pressure test. Found nothing.

Filled up with gas last week and did not top the tank off this time. Drove about 130 miles or so and the gas cap light came on again. I re-tightened the cap last night when I got home so I will keep an eye on the light. Do you think maybe some excess fuel got into the evap canister and caused the car to go wonky even though I didn't top off the tank the most recent time I got gas?
Old 09-22-2015, 09:10 PM
Rae Ray

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
The same happen to me just today. I have a 16 ilx for 4 months now with no problems today coming home from work the check gas cap light came on, i turnt the car off loosen the cap and retighten turn the car back on and it still said the same thing After i drove home i repeated to tighten and it finally went away i hope if doesn't continue this is annoying i had this problem b4 with my 03 cadillac CTS
Old 09-23-2015, 11:44 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rae Rad
The same happen to me just today. I have a 16 ilx for 4 months now with no problems today coming home from work the check gas cap light came on, i turnt the car off loosen the cap and retighten turn the car back on and it still said the same thing After i drove home i repeated to tighten and it finally went away i hope if doesn't continue this is annoying i had this problem b4 with my 03 cadillac CTS
Reference the new post I made. Should be near the top of the forum.