Anyone have issues with driver seat comfort in 2016 ILX Premium?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 03:32 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have issues with driver seat comfort in 2016 ILX Premium?

I bought a 2016 Acura ILX Premium in March of 2015, about six months ago. I've driven it about 7500 miles so far. In general it's a great car - good power, good technology, looks good, I get compliments on it. I'd never owned an Acura (or any luxury brand) before.

There is one problem though and unforuntately it's not a minor thing. Something about the driver seat design causes me serious discomfort on my left leg and left foot. I simply cannot rest my left foot on the "dead pedal" for any length of time without experiencing actual pain in my left heel. I basically have to sit with my left leg turned inward and resting on the side of my left foot. I also notice that my left leg and left buttock tend to fall asleep a little. These issues crop up even on short trips, 30 minutes or less. Alas my test drive must not have been long enough to notice it, or else I was too focused on other things.

I've tried adjusting the seats every which way. I researched proper driving ergonomics. Everything else is fine as far as being able to reach the pedals and wheel confortably. It's perfectly comfortable on my back and right leg and right foot.

I think this car is literally starting to give me a medical problem called plantar fascitis. It's an inflammation of the connective tissue on the bottom of the foot. One of the symptoms I have is pain from pressure on the heel first thing in the morning. Right now it's mild for me but apparently can get extremely painful and debilitating. Driving is known to be a cause of this condition, but usually only for people who drive long distances and it usually affects the right foot from pressing the pedals. Like I said, my right foot and right leg feel fine. I have no history of any problem like this before buying the car and in general I'm very healthy.

Anyway, unfortunately I'll probably have to get a different car. I'm just curious if anyone else had the same problem, and also wanted to share my experience in case someone else comes along googling for it later. So far I haven't been able to turn up much in searches.

This could be the type of thing where if I were an inch taller or an inch shorter it would be ok, but somehow things are just right (or just wrong). For the record I'm a 35 year old male, 5'7", 150 pounds, physically fit.

I'd also be interested in suggestions if there are any modifications or other options I could look into. I did try one of those gel pads and it didn't help and also reduced the already limited headroom.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 09-14-2015, 07:03 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
No problems with my seat at all. I'm the exact same build as you too... 5'7" and 150lbs. I took my 2016 on a 2 hour road trip a few weeks ago and I was perfectly comfortable the entire way. Then last weekend I took it to my camp for the first time and that's an hour and a half trip and same thing.. was comfortable the entire drive.

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having... hopefully you can get it worked out without having to get rid of the car already.
The following users liked this post:
billmcd (09-19-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 09:20 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2016 A-Spec, so not quite exactly the same, but I haven't had any comfort issues with mine. We've already taken it on a small road trip from Austin to Dallas, about 200 miles, and had no problems.

My wife also has a 2013 Premium, and we have never had any problems with that one either. We recently took that one from Austin to Chicago, about 1200 miles, and again, no problems whatsoever. It was actually quite pleasant.

For what it's worth, I'm 5' 11", 230 lbs. Hope you get this figured out without having to get rid of the car.
billmcd (09-19-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 09:32 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Side note, mines an A-SPEC model too. Not sure how different the seats are in the Premium model. I thought just the material changed.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a Tech Plus package one so our seats should be the same. I have not experienced any issues. I'm 6"2', 175 pounds, and I have taken 5-7 hour long trips in the ILX. I actually feel like it is the most comfortable and well designed seats. Could it be that there might be another issue there, maybe not seat related? Have you checked with a doctor about this? I used to get a lot of right foot knee pain in my 2005 Honda Civic, but I don't get that with the 2016 Acura ILX. Although I do know that the reason why I have the pain is because of a torn meniscus in my knee which is a childhood injury. I got an MRI on my knee and they were able to determine the issue that way. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to get that checked out because issues like numbing could be health concerns too.
billmcd (09-19-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 10:28 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a Tech Plus package one so our seats should be the same. I have not experienced any issues. I'm 6"2', 175 pounds, and I have taken 5-7 hour long trips in the ILX. I actually feel like it is the most comfortable and well designed seats. Could it be that there might be another issue there, maybe not seat related? Have you checked with a doctor about this? I used to get a lot of right foot knee pain in my 2005 Honda Civic, but I don't get that with the 2016 Acura ILX. Although I do know that the reason why I have the pain is because of a torn meniscus in my knee which is a childhood injury. I got an MRI on my knee and they were able to determine the issue that way. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to get that checked out because issues like numbing could be health concerns too.
billmcd (09-19-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 10:28 AM
16 SSM ILX Prem-Aspec

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
after moving my seat forward to allow for 3 people in my back seat the other day i did notice a bit discomfort that you speak of, i did some adjustment especially to the seat height and it helped alot, try adjusting the front part of the seat where your left leg is fully supported while it rests on the dead pedal, its a combination of moving the seat back/forward and up/down along with the height of steering wheel (FYI the steering goes up/down & in/out and you should make it work for you, also once you find the sweet spot make sure to save the settings on the door for your key or else it will go back to the previous setting

hope that helps!
Steve
billmcd (09-19-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 08:21 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback everyone, though it only adds to the mystery of what peculiarity of my own anatomy and physiology makes this car a bad fit. I was hoping people would say "Yes! Me too! I thought I was the only one!" etc.

@Steven - I did notice that raising the seat height helped a little, although even at 5'7" I'm pretty limited to how much I can raise it before my head is practically touching the roof. And if I move the seat forward much then my right leg is too close the pedals and I can barely fold the visor down without hitting myself in the face (can't win!). Raising the front part of the seat feels better for a brief time, maybe just because it's a change of position, but ultimately the same discomfort returns.

I think the issue might be that the dead pedal is too far away and/or angled away too much, and that maybe affixing a piece of 2x4 or something to bring it closer would be a worthwhile experiment. Still annoying to have to be doing things like that in a brand-new more-expensive car.

I was also thinking about renting a different car for a week, just to be certain that it really is the car.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:05 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by billmcd
I was also thinking about renting a different car for a week, just to be certain that it really is the car.
I think that is a very logical solution. Also try larger cars which have more space at footwell and more space to move seats.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it's combination of the seat, the dead pedal, the low height roof, it's an premium/aspec. My left leg do get numb after driving it for a 15 minutes and more. Yes, the left foot cannot extend outward toward the left as there no space, u have to position it inward toward the right. It doesnt have much leg room. My temporary solution is let my left foot rest and extend in the space between the brake and the dead pedal. That still doesnt help. It sucks. Never had this problem with any other car. It sucks too when you turn corner fast, the left foot just floating and you have no support. Try putting pressure with hte left on dead pedal and it's not comfortable.