2016 ILX with Tech Package vs. 2015 TLX with Tech Package

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 ILX with Tech Package vs. 2015 TLX with Tech Package

Just wondering if anyone can figure out why there's only a $2600 price difference between the ILX and TLX, when it seems to me the TLX has far more features in its tech package--and seems to be a much better car in terms of build, comfort, and lack of noise.
Thanks
Old 03-04-2015, 08:01 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I asked the same question and I figured since I'm almost 30, I should get a "classier" car like the TLX between these two. Although the ILX is still classy to me, it seems the TLX has more for your money and it appears to be more luxurious than the ILX..
Old 03-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Less is still less and the transaction price could widen the gap when all is said and done. That said, the TLX is simply too large for our needs.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:44 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
Some of it also has to do with which car has been through a full model change first. Some of the extras on the TLX like PAWS, Brake Hold, Electronic Parking Brake and IDS would be much too complicated to implement at the mid model change. Some of these will likely trickle down to the ILX once it goes to a new FMC
Old 03-05-2015, 04:12 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by quintno
Just wondering if anyone can figure out why there's only a $2600 price difference between the ILX and TLX, when it seems to me the TLX has far more features in its tech package--and seems to be a much better car in terms of build, comfort, and lack of noise.
Thanks
And how about this:

2016 ILX Premium $29,900
2015 TLX base $31,445

Difference: $1545

Does make the TLX seem like a major deal, doesn't it?

On the other hand, the ILX will be about half a second faster to 60 and more tossable.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have to drive the ILX to really compare but here's why on paper I prefer the ILX to the TLX.

1) The ILX is faster and lighter, and likely a better handler than the TLX even with PAWS.

2) AcuraWatch Plus. On ILX w/ Tech Plus. Not on TLX w/ Tech. Gotta upgrade to Advanced package to get that on TLX, which is north of $40k.

3) More fuel efficient. So what if it's 1 MPG.

4) Faster. Again. Being in between 320i and 328i territory is the sweet spot for performance in the entry level.

5) LED turn signals in the headlights make the car look more expensive.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:58 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
for only $2600 more? get the TLX for sure.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:15 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
As mentioned, the ILX Premium and Tech Plus comes with the AcuraWatch Package, that includes:

Adaptive Cruise Control
Collision Mitigation Braking System
Road Departure Mitigation

You need to get the TLX Advance to get the above features.

For the the TLX base vs ILX Premium, the ILX has the following that the TLX base does not:

- Leather seats
- Forward Collision Warning
- Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Departure Warning
- Blind spot information
- Rear Cross Traffic Monitor
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Collision Mitigation Braking System
- Road Departure Mitigation

Basically the ILX premium comes with AcuraWatch ($1300 value) and leather seats ($1500 value??) compared to the TLX base. Again the ILX will most likely be faster as it's about 400lb lighter.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:23 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
As mentioned, the ILX Premium and Tech Plus comes with the AcuraWatch Package, that includes:

Adaptive Cruise Control

For the the TLX base vs ILX Premium, the ILX has the following that the TLX base does not:

- Leather seats
- Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Departure Warning
- Blind spot information

Basically the ILX premium comes with AcuraWatch ($1300 value) and leather seats ($1500 value??) compared to the TLX base. Again the ILX will most likely be faster as it's about 400lb lighter.
ILX Premium does not come with AcuraWatch. The only active safety on an AW premium is BLIS and Rear Cross Traffic.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by iforyou

Adaptive Cruise Control

- Leather seats
- Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Departure Warning
- Blind spot information

I think you've maybe misread the equipment list. The ILX Premium does come with leather, and a few other nice things, but not most of the rest of the safety stuff you list.

It is somewhat confusing....
Old 03-06-2015, 03:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by benjaminh

It is somewhat confusing....
Understatement of the year. Normally the "feature walk" adds to the trims that came before it. However, this is no longer the case unless you view the cars in pairs:
ILX
ILX + AcuraWatch

ILX Premium
ILX Premium + A-Spec

ILX Tech Plus
ILX Tech Plus + A-Spec.

Of course, technically the Tech Package builds on the Premium, and I guess technically the Premium builds on the base ILX, just not the ILX + A-Spec. So three models with AcuraWatch and three without.
The following users liked this post:
benjaminh (03-07-2015)
Old 03-06-2015, 06:00 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

It is confusing..lol..so I checked again...

The ILX Premium comes with leather seats, Blind Spot Information System, and Rear Cross Traffic Monitor. What do you think, the safety features are worth may be $500, and the leather seats for $1500, for a total of $2000? Then there's a difference of $1500 in base prices?

In other words, do you think $3500 is a big enough gap between the ILX Premium and TLX Base?
benjaminh (03-07-2015)
Old 03-06-2015, 06:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Price alone is not what will make one person buy an ILX versus a TLX. Given that the TLX and ILX share the same powertrain, some will favor a little more nimbleness and the styling of the ILX while others will prefer the roominess of the TLX at the expense of a slighty less nimble vehicle. Some will prefer the interior or the ILX while others will prefer that of the TLX (wood interior for example)....

I for one think it is smart to have the ILX and TLX the way they have done it...
benjaminh (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 04:43 AM
Racer

weather: what the heck? Did you buy a Lexus? Tell me it isn't so....
Old 03-07-2015, 06:27 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by benjaminh
And how about this:

2016 ILX Premium $29,900
2015 TLX base $31,445

Difference: $1545

Does make the TLX seem like a major deal, doesn't it?

On the other hand, the ILX will be about half a second faster to 60 and more tossable.
The question is - can most people tell, by the seat of their pants, a half second difference in 0 - 60 times? I'll wager not.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:56 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ It is not the 0-60 that makes the huge difference but how the car feels...Sometime, people prefer a car that feels a little tighter and more nimble. I know my 2012 TL was faster than our 2014 ILX (2.0) but I often would find myself enjoying the way the ILX pulled and handled (to an extent) itself over the TL. The TL felt like it had some decent inertia to overcome....mind you, the ILX has to be in that sweet spot to really put that smile on your face

benjaminh....Not YET however, I have already broke the news to my dealership that this spring will not likely be a TLX season. It pains me to walk away from the brand and I am surprised that they haven't made me an offer to stay loyal...one thing would have kept me in but they never proposed it, nor did I bring it up. It sure seems like an IS350 F sport AWD will be in my driveway by March 30th....for an extra 30$ a month, Lexus made me a great deal!
benjaminh (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by weather
^^ It is not the 0-60 that makes the huge difference but how the car feels...Sometime, people prefer a car that feels a little tighter and more nimble. I know my 2012 TL was faster than our 2014 ILX (2.0) but I often would find myself enjoying the way the ILX pulled and handled (to an extent) itself over the TL. The TL felt like it had some decent inertia to overcome....mind you, the ILX has to be in that sweet spot to really put that smile on your face

benjaminh....Not YET however, I have already broke the news to my dealership that this spring will not likely be a TLX season. It pains me to walk away from the brand and I am surprised that they haven't made me an offer to stay loyal...one thing would have kept me in but they never proposed it, nor did I bring it up. It sure seems like an IS350 F sport AWD will be in my driveway by March 30th....for an extra 30$ a month, Lexus made me a great deal!
Seems like you've made up your mind, but let me see if I can make a bit of a case for an Acura for you.

First, if I'm looking at the correct numbers a comparably equipped IS 350 costs about $14k more than an Acura ILX Tech. Even if that comes to $30 a month somehow (I don't understand how that works out, but maybe you could explain it. A lease?) we're talking a lot of money.

Second, when it comes to crash tests Acuras have beat out Lexi in the IIHS tests.

Third, the ILX gets significantly better fuel economy.

Fourth, and this is obviously a matter of taste, but the giant, frowning "fish mouth" found in newer Toyota and Lexus models is questionable. I don't hate it, but I guess I dislike it even more than the Acura beaks of c. 5 years ago. Bottom line for me is that Acura's styling is better than a Lexus at this point imho.

Fifth, you can get a fully loaded V-6 TLX Tech, and still save about $5k off of a comparable IS 350. That's a whole larger class of vehicle that would be much more comfortable for trips.

Finally, I trust Acura quality a little more than Lexus, although no doubt they are both very fine brands.

I'd be sorry for you to leave Acura for Lexus. I imagine your local dealer has seen that happen so many times that it's just a painful reality for them. I think if you asked them to fight for your business they might well give it a try. But it seems like you've decided already.

Anyway, I wish you well. And I'm sure the Lexus is a good car....

Last edited by benjaminh; 03-07-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Benjaminh....Let me try and do my best at explaining the whole situation, and I appreciate you trying to keep me in the brand *lol*

1. Last weekend, I test drove the 2016 ILX and the 2015 TLX - I walked away being a bit disapointed from the ILX and with an improved perception of the TLX SH-AWD (V6). The difference of 30$ in lease payment was with the TLX V6 SH-AWD with the bodykit, not on the ILX. The ILX felt good but didn't wow me as I had hoped but the TLX felt better than what I remembered so when I was driving back home, the ILX had moved on the 3rd poistion, the TLX in 2nd and the IS in 1st.

2. I agree that Acura have great cash test results and while I feel the importance of being safe in a car crash, I am sure the Lexus isn't as bad and hopefully, a feature I'll never have to test

3. The ILX is not what I would buy, but even the TLX would get better fuel efficiency than the IS, that is one of its weakness for sure as with the "not as good" dealer experience as I would get at my local dealership.

4. I agree that the front grill of IS350 F sport is VERY polarizing but I tend to gravitate toward bold designs and likely why I liked my 4G TL. Don't get me wrong, the TLX with a bodykit has an aggressive stance as I have said to many already, exterior styling only, I favor the TLX over the IS350

5. I agree that a TLX would be cheaper (by 30$ a month) but ironically enough, it is the cozy IS cabin that I enjoy....at 5'10 and 115lbs, I find the TLX a bit too roomy for me...The 4G TL with its bigger seat and a little tighter cockpit didn't feel as airy as the TLX. I could live with teh TLX interior size but the IS is actually one I prefer.

6. I hate to bring this point up but I think Lexus has Acura beaten in reliability lately...A couple of years ago, I would have said both brands are neck and neck but the TLX and other models have had some quality issues - Not knocking Acura, they are still above many other brands such as BMW etc when it comes to reliability but I wouldn't say that Acura is more reliable than Lexus today....and I am an Acura guy.

7. I haven't signed any paperwork yet but the deal is expected to go down on March 18th so there is still time *lol*

Thanks for your considerate message and taking the time to make a compelling case...Too bad Acura didn't care about its customers as you do
benjaminh (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 04:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Test drove the ILX today and after having test driven both I have changed my tune. I would take the TLX w/ Tech in a heartbeat.

The ILX was WAY too unrefined for a luxury car. I will explain.

- the doors do not have the satisfying thud when they close. They do on the TLX.
- road noise is substantial. This is a loud car on the road. I've never driven the original ILX but if this is a huge improvement then I'm afraid to know how the original was. My 2010 Fusion is FAR quieter and soaked up road bumps better.
- I did notice the "suspension noise" that people were talking about.
- interior materials are a step below a VW GTI.

On the plus side, the car did handle nicely and had good pickup. I just don't think it was for me. I found the TLX to be a true luxury car.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:55 PM
Racer

weather: You makes some good points. You're right that a Lexus is probably just as reliable and long-lasting as an Acura.

It's impressive that they are getting you to lease a small car that lists for $45k or so. No wonder Toyota makes higher profits than any other car maker in the world.I guess that's my last ditch attempt to get you to reconsider. Toyota/Lexus is the largest and most profitable car company in the world, a true global giant. Honda/Acura, in contrast, is a smaller company that has more consistently been run by engineers. The CEOs of Toyota iirc are more likely from the financial site. Overall, I'd say Honda/Acura tends to be more innovative in its engineering than Toyota/Lexus. If feel like going with Lexus is a more "standard" choice, while going Acura is going the path less traveled, which sometimes makes something of a difference.

But there's no doubt that the Lexus is a very fine car...
The following 2 users liked this post by benjaminh:
TaxiDriver (03-07-2015), weather (03-07-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 07:46 AM
Racer

2013 Lexus IS250/350 rated Poor in small-offset test

For years, Honda and Acura vehicles have had class-leading safety. Honda/Acura's Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body structure has done well in the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's tough small-offset crash test (which represents a very common type of crash), while others have not fared so well.

For instance, the 2013 Lexus IS 250/350 was given the lowest rating on this test, which is Poor:

Vehicle details

A Poor rating essentially means a fail and that the simulated driver did not survive. It's possible that Lexus has improved this model since it failed, but there is no indication of that on the IIHS site. Since it hasn't been retested for 2105 for this test, it's quite possible it hasn't yet been improved.

The Honda Civic, on which the ILX is based, however, got the highest possible rating on this test, which is Good.

The 2015 TLX was given the coveted Top Safety Pick + rating, the highest possible, and although it hasn't been rated yet, Acura is targeting that rating as well for the 2016 ILX, which has been strengthened over the 2015 model.

Honda/Acura vehicles tend to pass these tests with flying colors. And that's no "accident" (pardon the pun), because Honda/Acura puts more effort into it than most other manufacturers, including BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, etc. Those other luxury makes tend to get weak rarings the first time, and then improve themselves a few years later. Acura starts out strong, by using more ultra-high grade steel, and better and more advanced engineering.

Yes, this is an attempt to get weather to reconsider and keep him with Acura....But even if we can't keep him, I hope other people reading this will keep it in mind.

Last edited by benjaminh; 03-08-2015 at 07:51 AM.
weather (03-08-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 08:40 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ Thanks for this information and it is worrisome to see that Lexus is scoring so poorly that the similated driver would have passed away *yikes* I will need to add you to my "will" so if something happens, you can inherit my fortune *lol*

All kidding aside, I am aware that Acura has always done really well in these tests and it is great to see they take safety so seriously, as most car companies should! I'll keep this in mind over the next few days/weeks

I must give it to you, you put more of an effort to keep with Acura than my own dealership did....I am starting to question how much they really wanted to keep me in the fold *hummm*
benjaminh (03-08-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 10:32 AM
Racer

weather: if I may ask, what is the lease number they are offering you for that top-of-the-line AWD Lexus IS 350 Sport?

And, if I might also add, what is the lease or purchase number that might get your business from Acura on either an ILX or a TLX? Is there another Acura dealer within driving distance that you can consider? If you can play two dealers off of each other, as you know, sometimes you can get a better deal.

Finally, do you need AWD?

Last edited by benjaminh; 03-08-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:41 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

^^ Price alone is not what will make one person buy an ILX versus a TLX. Given that the TLX and ILX share the same powertrain, some will favor a little more nimbleness and the styling of the ILX while others will prefer the roominess of the TLX at the expense of a slighty less nimble vehicle. Some will prefer the interior or the ILX while others will prefer that of the TLX (wood interior for example)....

I for one think it is smart to have the ILX and TLX the way they have done it...
Definitely. I don't think there's much wrong with the way Acura is pricing both the ILX and TLX. I also think it's good to have both available for people to choose from.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:45 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Benjaminh....Let me try and do my best at explaining the whole situation, and I appreciate you trying to keep me in the brand *lol*

1. Last weekend, I test drove the 2016 ILX and the 2015 TLX - I walked away being a bit disapointed from the ILX and with an improved perception of the TLX SH-AWD (V6). The difference of 30$ in lease payment was with the TLX V6 SH-AWD with the bodykit, not on the ILX. The ILX felt good but didn't wow me as I had hoped but the TLX felt better than what I remembered so when I was driving back home, the ILX had moved on the 3rd poistion, the TLX in 2nd and the IS in 1st.

2. I agree that Acura have great cash test results and while I feel the importance of being safe in a car crash, I am sure the Lexus isn't as bad and hopefully, a feature I'll never have to test

3. The ILX is not what I would buy, but even the TLX would get better fuel efficiency than the IS, that is one of its weakness for sure as with the "not as good" dealer experience as I would get at my local dealership.

4. I agree that the front grill of IS350 F sport is VERY polarizing but I tend to gravitate toward bold designs and likely why I liked my 4G TL. Don't get me wrong, the TLX with a bodykit has an aggressive stance as I have said to many already, exterior styling only, I favor the TLX over the IS350

5. I agree that a TLX would be cheaper (by 30$ a month) but ironically enough, it is the cozy IS cabin that I enjoy....at 5'10 and 115lbs, I find the TLX a bit too roomy for me...The 4G TL with its bigger seat and a little tighter cockpit didn't feel as airy as the TLX. I could live with teh TLX interior size but the IS is actually one I prefer.

6. I hate to bring this point up but I think Lexus has Acura beaten in reliability lately...A couple of years ago, I would have said both brands are neck and neck but the TLX and other models have had some quality issues - Not knocking Acura, they are still above many other brands such as BMW etc when it comes to reliability but I wouldn't say that Acura is more reliable than Lexus today....and I am an Acura guy.

7. I haven't signed any paperwork yet but the deal is expected to go down on March 18th so there is still time *lol*

Thanks for your considerate message and taking the time to make a compelling case...Too bad Acura didn't care about its customers as you do
Let me offer my $.02 since I just traded my wife's '14 Lexus IS 350 RWD for a '16 ILX Tech package.

Hands down, the Lexus was the superior car: better build quality, better power, better handling and exponentially better seats. While it's somewhat unfair to compare a RWD sports sedan with a nose-heavy FWD car, I could never get past the fact that the Acura had the underpinnings of an economy car. The ILX is a rolling testament to understeer.

So why the counterintuitive trade? My wife hated driving the Lexus and loved driving the ILX. Happy wife, happy life.

Before I get flamed, let me offer this. The Lexus was not much fun to drive. It rolled into turns and understeered badly when you pushed it. Staggered wheel/tire fitment didn't help. The 8-spd DCT in the Acura is also the better transmission. The Lexus (for its price) was underpowered and its V6 didn't get particularly good mileage (about 19 mpg in city driving). We had a problem with the nav/infotainment system that Lexus refused to address. And the Lexus couldn't come close to the ILX with safety features. For the money, the ILX was the better choice. And know what? To me, the ILX is more fun to drive, despite its Civic-based origins. I'm not a fan of automatics (my wife will not drive manuals), but the 8-spd DCT is the next best thing.
benjaminh (03-28-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 03:49 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Thanks for your input and welcome in the Acura family. We own an ILX and I agree that it is a great car for the money and like many on this site, could care less that its underpinning is a Civic, which is one of the best selling car!

The problem is that no cars are perfect these days....Too much tech, too few gears, too bland, too polarizing, too pricy, too much road noise, seats too flat, rear too cramped, wheels are hideous, tires are cheap and on and on.

In the end, we buy/lease a vehicle that gives us more positives than negatives....and to me, my hope was to get a TLX SH-AWD. Had Acura took the time to get its tranny sorted out prior to releasing the car, I'd be getting one as we speak but it wasn't meant to be. I am NOT leaving the brand for good, at least I hope not, and hopefully they'll be out with a sportier looking and handling TLX so that I can get one in a few years.

I am on the fence on whether to get a new car at this point but SHOULD I decide to proceed, the IS350 F sport is the one that speaks to me the most at this point. I only lease so it wouldn't be forever anyway.

...and before I get accused of loving the most hideous monstrosity, keep in mind I loved my 2012 TL! (lol)

Last edited by weather; 03-28-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:06 PM
Racer

^
"Desperate times call for desperate measures. You will order the Canadian weatherman to marry the Lexus!"

"But the design is so OLD! The safety is third rate!"

Old 03-28-2015, 06:00 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by UncleSpud
Let me offer my $.02 since I just traded my wife's '14 Lexus IS 350 RWD for a '16 ILX Tech package.

Hands down, the Lexus was the superior car: better build quality, better power, better handling and exponentially better seats. While it's somewhat unfair to compare a RWD sports sedan with a nose-heavy FWD car, I could never get past the fact that the Acura had the underpinnings of an economy car. The ILX is a rolling testament to understeer.

So why the counterintuitive trade? My wife hated driving the Lexus and loved driving the ILX. Happy wife, happy life.

Before I get flamed, let me offer this. The Lexus was not much fun to drive. It rolled into turns and understeered badly when you pushed it. Staggered wheel/tire fitment didn't help. The 8-spd DCT in the Acura is also the better transmission. The Lexus (for its price) was underpowered and its V6 didn't get particularly good mileage (about 19 mpg in city driving). We had a problem with the nav/infotainment system that Lexus refused to address. And the Lexus couldn't come close to the ILX with safety features. For the money, the ILX was the better choice. And know what? To me, the ILX is more fun to drive, despite its Civic-based origins. I'm not a fan of automatics (my wife will not drive manuals), but the 8-spd DCT is the next best thing.
i feel the need to jump in here. as a 6 year owner of '09 IS350 i'd like to say what you described Lexus were a bit off. the IS350 is another class (either the previous generation or current) above ILX or even TLX for that matter. it's Japan built, the build material quality is second to none. mine has 77k miles and going on strong. i'm able to get 24 mpg consistently with mix highway and city driving, that's awesome for a 306hp, 270lb-ft car with EPA estimate of only 18/25. the current IS is even better with its improvements in suspension and handling, most people i know (and even auto magazines) are saying the current IS' handling is better than the benchmark setter BMW 3 series.
weather (03-28-2015)