2016 Tech 10 ELS System - Blown Speakers??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 04:10 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2016 Tech 10 ELS System - Blown Speakers??

I picked up my new 2016 ILX Tech/A-Spec with the 10-Speaker ELS Audio last week.

Within a week, I noticed a "distortion/Blown Speaker" sound on certain High-Bass songs.

I thought it was bad Sirius Radio reception and brushed it off as something I would monitor. Well today a High-Bass Hip Hop song came on the radio and the sound was terrible! Definitely sounded like a blown "popping" speaker and it was coming from the back seat headrest area.

Has anyone else with the 10-Speaker ELS system noticed any distortion on High-Bass songs?

Granted, I keep my sub-woofer cranked up pretty high and only notice the "blown speaker" sound with the volume set to about 22-24.

I know this sounds like I'm just over working the system but 90% of the time it sounds fine at these levels. However, when a heavy bass song with just the right amount of "punch" comes on Radio, the speaker sounds completely "blown out" beyond your simple "distortion" sound.

I made a service appoint for next week and was told they will "look into it".

I'm just afraid they will play some low level music and send me away saying my car sounds fine.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:39 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Hi iRaw. I had an issue with my front driver side door. I noticed vibration noise coming from the door, and turned out to be the buttons on the door. I took it in and I have actually provided them with specific songs and told them to run it at a specific volume to replicate the issue. I even overpowered the bass to replicate the issue even better and show them that it was only happening on the driver side door. I got my car back with them fixing the insulation inside the door and adding more foam like padding inside the door to prevent vibrations. Got the car back and it sounded brilliant. The service tech did a good job. Just provide them with a soundtrack or song or anything that allows you to reproduce the issue. I actually told them it only happens around 28+ volume. I tend to listen to my music at it's maximum setting, which is roughly around 34. Above that you don't seem to gain much more volume or something else will limit it for you in order so the music would not distort.

Either way, I personally thought the sub inside the Acura ELS 10 speaker setup was not enough, so I took it to an audio shop that I trust in my area, since they have worked on my Civic, and I let them install my old 12 inch 600W RMS sub and 900W RMS (1800W peak) amp. Now I have to deal with other sorts of vibration issues, but the small 30W sub was disabled during this time. I installed a little volume nob as well for the sub so I can quickly and easily adjust the amount of bass I want in my music. The system sounds phenomenal now, and while I was used to having all aftermarket speakers in my car, the ELS system is just fine for what I need with the addition of that sub I put in the trunk. It does take up a lot of space in the trunk but it is well worth it for someone who enjoys loud music and clear thunder like bass.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:16 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow, that thing looks like a Monster!

I can't imagine the type of vibration you must be getting with that setup.

I too agree that the factory 8" Sub is highly underpowered. Even with the subwoofer set to the highest setting, certain songs still sound "flat". Yet, somehow at the same time, high bass songs sound distorted and "blown out". I think the bottom line is the factory sub just does not have enough range. Especially for people like us who like to listen to loud music.

Thanks again for the advise. I will make sure to get an exact song and volume level to replicate the "blown speaker" sound and see if there is something they can do to resolve the issue.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Adding a sub iun my trunk will be one of my near future plans. But Ill have to keep in mind that I want to run a tank back there for an air set up AND STILL be able to reach my spare tire. I might look into the thin sub options or even the tubes. May fit better.