All-Season Tire Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 08:18 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
All-Season Tire Recommendations?

I'm looking for some all-season tires that will be decent in performance and be able to tackle the occasional light snow (since i live in canada).

How dangerous is it to drive on summer tires and run into snow unexpectedly?
Old 01-26-2016, 08:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
If you have summer tires please stay of the road in the winter. Your putting yourself and other motorist on the road at risk and it ain't worth it - very dangerous!!
Old 01-26-2016, 08:47 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Continental Extreme Contact DWS. Had them on my Infiniti and will be upgrading on the TLX. They are excellent in wet or dry conditions.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by joneswood
Continental Extreme Contact DWS. Had them on my Infiniti and will be upgrading on the TLX. They are excellent in wet or dry conditions.
How's the road noise on these tires?
Old 01-27-2016, 04:36 AM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
This is a direct copy and past from one of my other posts (Michelin A/S 3)

I have had the A/S 3 for a couple months now and I like them so much better than the LS2. Here is a quote from Car and Driver in the December 2015 issue. They extolled the virtues of winter tires but if one really wanted an all season tire then the following statement, "...If we were going to buy an all-season tire, it would be this one, because it actually has some serious dry grip in summer conditions"
The following users liked this post:
9SpeedTran (04-22-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 05:33 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd also vouch for Continental Extreme Contact DWS. It's definitely the best all season tires in the market today.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by joneswood
Originally Posted by wildrider
I'd also vouch for Continental Extreme Contact DWS. It's definitely the best all season tires in the market today.
I heard the Continental Extreme Contact DWS's some people reported the soft compound causing flatspotting issues and road noise.

Have you guys experienced any flat spotting issues?
Old 01-29-2016, 10:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by sillyjav
I heard the Continental Extreme Contact DWS's some people reported the soft compound causing flatspotting issues and road noise.

Have you guys experienced any flat spotting issues?
I had the Continental DWS on my Acura RL and it they were fine. Not as quiet as the Toyo Versado LX that I put on later, but I had no complaints with the DWS. My RL was a daily though so it never sat long enough to flatspot.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:50 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Continental DWS is an incredible tire. The OEM Michelin MXMM were horrible in snow. I have 36K on my set now and still great tread.

Road noise is acceptable, Michelins had a pinging noise on highway cuts, where the Continental is more of a basketball sound. They will sing a little bit on concrete freeways, but, this is the only tire I will ever purchase again.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:10 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I'm on my 3rd set of Conti DWS on my 08 RDX (2nd set OEM size of Conti on 06 TSX and almost ready for my 2nd set of 20" size of Conti for my 11 MDX). I live in the southwest and it is usually dry with temps extremes from below freezing in the morning and +60 degrees by the afternoon in winter. We also get heavy weather extremes (rain, snow, ice, slush) just driving 10 miles to work or a day trip driving to Santa Fe 60 miles away (5000ft to +7200ft). A dedicated winter or summer tire wouldn't cover me during the weather extremes year round.

I drive my RDX pretty hard (hondata, ETS intercooler, K/N filter, progress RSB) and the Conti DWS is a big step up from the OEM Michelins. I wouldn't have any reservations with the older Conti DWS since they have served me very well in the last +5 years and they support my driving style and conditions perfectly. The newer Conti DWS 06 have a little longer treadlife, thicker side wall, and rate higher in every category against the older Conti DWS. I think they started using the Conti DWS 06 on the +17 MDX tech/adv as a standard tire (from what I can tell from stills from last auto show).

Last edited by mrgold35; 04-22-2016 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:40 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Since the OP lives in Canada, most folks from up there seem to have summer and winter tires. I live in the US mid-Atlantic region, and have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s on 19" wheels. If you read the reviews of this tire on TireRack and other places, they rave about them. For me, the Contis are too soft in the sidewall and roll in tight corners. The wet grip of the A/S 3s is almost spooky and the dry grip is like summer tires. Snow grip is fair, comparable to most AS tires.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
Since the OP lives in Canada, most folks from up there seem to have summer and winter tires. I live in the US mid-Atlantic region, and have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s on 19" wheels. If you read the reviews of this tire on TireRack and other places, they rave about them. For me, the Contis are too soft in the sidewall and roll in tight corners. The wet grip of the A/S 3s is almost spooky and the dry grip is like summer tires. Snow grip is fair, comparable to most AS tires.
Continental has a new DWS Tire, The "DWS-06" with firmer sidewalls and better handling characteristics in all weather. Ironically, the newer ones are cheaper than the old DWS on tirerack.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:20 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I replaced my vibrating potenzas with Michelin MXM4 tires.I live in the mid atlantic region and I really like the better on center precision and feel.The ride quality is much smoother too.Handling is also better...overall an excellent upgrade over stock.I need excellent ride quality and quiet so I did not try the pilots.I think the DWS will be better in snow however I don't have to drive in it so MXM4 all the way for me!
Old 04-27-2016, 09:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cistercian
I replaced my vibrating potenzas with Michelin MXM4 tires.I live in the mid atlantic region and I really like the better on center precision and feel.The ride quality is much smoother too.Handling is also better...overall an excellent upgrade over stock.I need excellent ride quality and quiet so I did not try the pilots.I think the DWS will be better in snow however I don't have to drive in it so MXM4 all the way for me!
MXM4's are the OEM tire on the 4G TL and 3G TL and are great Grand Touring All-Season Tires. Under sporty driving they can hold up but won't be as good as the Continental DWS by a fairly good margin. You can expect about the same life from the DWS and the MXM4's
Old 04-28-2016, 06:49 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by csmeance
MXM4's are the OEM tire on the 4G TL and 3G TL and are great Grand Touring All-Season Tires. Under sporty driving they can hold up but won't be as good as the Continental DWS by a fairly good margin. You can expect about the same life from the DWS and the MXM4's
I agree.My compromise is for more of a luxury feel in the TLS.Even so the on center feel is so much more precise than the potenzas it was a real bonus.

If the bias was more towards performance the DWS 06 or pilots would work better...with the nod to the DWS 06 if snow was to be encountered...based on what tire rack says.

For my needs the MXM4 is perfect and better than I hoped.I think some may get tires that are louder and harsher than they need in the pursuit of ultimate cornering etc.In my opinion the MXM4 should have come on the car from the factory and is a perfect match for the TLX.

Of course others may feel differently depending on what they want the car to do.
finebead (06-28-2017)
Old 05-01-2016, 04:35 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
I think cistercian Is talking about the MICHELIN PRIMACY MXM4 tires and you are talking about the MICHELIN PILOT HX MXM4. The PRIMACY MXM4s are a much better tire then the PILOT HX MXM4 which came OEM on the 4th Gen TL.
hadokenuh (05-05-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 05:45 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by alpha2beta
I think cistercian Is talking about the MICHELIN PRIMACY MXM4 tires and you are talking about the MICHELIN PILOT HX MXM4. The PRIMACY MXM4s are a much better tire then the PILOT HX MXM4 which came OEM on the 4th Gen TL.
Indeed I am using the Primacy MXM4 tires.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:55 PM
Instructor

Indeed I am using the Primacy MXM4 tires.
I had them on my 2009 Acura TSX I loved those tires, excellent ride, handling, and super quiet even when worn down. But they sucked in the snow and the tires only lasted me about 28000 miles. For the money I think the Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season Plus tires are a better value, better in the snow and they last longer for about 3/4 of the cost.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:20 PM
Cruisin'

I had them on my 2009 Acura TSX I loved those tires, excellent ride, handling, and super quiet even when worn down. But they sucked in the snow and the tires only lasted me about 28000 miles. For the money I think the Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season Plus tires are a better value, better in the snow and they last longer for about 3/4 of the cost.
I tried some pirellis in the past on my 95 civic ex coupe...they became very un round.You are right about the cost and snow based on my experience on some mvm4 michelins.I plan not to drive the car in snow.To be fair the pirelli tires I tried were not in the same class as those you recommend but of all the tires I have ever used the michelins I have bought in the past needed less weight to balance at the start and stayed round forever...with one exception that involved 11 year old tires!They just got hard.

Have you tried the P7's?How did they work for you?
Old 05-11-2016, 10:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
The Michelin Premier A/S are pretty nice. Not sure what size can fit the TLX? I went on Tirerack and only 10 tires for the crappy 225/50/18 size? I would love the Premier or DWS. What sizes work?
Old 05-12-2016, 06:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dboz
The Michelin Premier A/S are pretty nice. Not sure what size can fit the TLX? I went on Tirerack and only 10 tires for the crappy 225/50/18 size? I would love the Premier or DWS. What sizes work?
DWS06 comes in 235/50/18 which is about 10mm wider providing extra rim protection too
Old 05-20-2016, 07:38 PM
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts
Tirerack has the DWS06 as well as Primacy MXMH in 225/50/18.
There are lots of choices in 225/50/18.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:42 PM
Instructor

I tried some pirellis in the past on my 95 civic ex coupe...they became very un round.You are right about the cost and snow based on my experience on some mvm4 michelins.I plan not to drive the car in snow.To be fair the pirelli tires I tried were not in the same class as those you recommend but of all the tires I have ever used the michelins I have bought in the past needed less weight to balance at the start and stayed round forever...with one exception that involved 11 year old tires!They just got hard.

Have you tried the P7's?How did they work for you?
They are working really good, tires are little bit firmer than the Good Year Eagle LS 2 and are only louder going over cracks in the road, the pinging sound and only by a very very small amount. Dry grip is much better wet performance is much better too. Steering feel is also better, plus my mileage went up by about 3 miles to the gallon for me. Its a win win for me.

I like to stick to the Grand Touring tires. I had the Extreme Contact DWS tires and they got really loud on me plus they were wore out in about 18000 miles. Maybe the DWS 06 are better.

Last edited by alpha2beta; 05-23-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
I replaced the oem michelin tires with Continental DWS after the first snow in November 2014. What a difference! So far I put 12k miles on them and no noticeable wear or noise.

I recently got DWS-06 for my wife's car and they feel even better.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sstfnv
I replaced the oem michelin tires with Continental DWS after the first snow in November 2014. What a difference! So far I put 12k miles on them and no noticeable wear or noise.

I recently got DWS-06 for my wife's car and they feel even better.
You had OEM Michelin tires? I only thought OEM came with Goodyears and Bridgestones in the US.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
On my AWD Advance I yanked the junk Goodyears right away. I had to drive on the highway in the rain and the stock Goodyears felts very unstable and unsafe. I had Michelin A/S3 on my Audi, but they were done in 18K miles so I would never buy those again. Heard great things about the Conti DWS and then the DWS06 so opted for those. Have had them over 6K miles and love them. Great ride and handling wet and dry. Probably the best tire is have ever had on a car.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
You had OEM Michelin tires? I only thought OEM came with Goodyears and Bridgestones in the US.
You are right, I meant goodyear, sorry.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:58 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
I've done quite a bit of research on tires. The stock Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 on the 3G TL were terrible in rain and snow. They were OK in dry. I swapped them for Conti DWS and they were night and day. It comes down to 2 all season tires for TLX:
Conti DWS 06 - Very Good dry - Excellent Wet - Very Good Snow
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ - Excellent dry - Excellent wet - Good snow

The Michelins have a better edge in dry performance but are more expensive vs Conti are cheaper with better edge in snow.

BFGoodrich G-force Comp-2 A/S are a good runner up.

Last edited by reddogTL; 06-06-2016 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:35 PM
Suzuka Master

The Michelin A/S3 tread wear is horrible, I was not alone, other people on the Audi forums and TireRack reviews concur. Might be a great tires, but wears like a summer tire.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:15 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
The Michelin A/S3 tread wear is horrible, I was not alone, other people on the Audi forums and TireRack reviews concur. Might be a great tires, but wears like a summer tire.
What do you consider horrible? I have never had high performance A/S tires that lasted more than 20K miles.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neil0311
What do you consider horrible? I have never had high performance A/S tires that lasted more than 20K miles.
My General AS3 had 5/32 with 28K on them when I got rid of my M37S and they were awesome other than they were very loud due to the aggressive unidirectional pattern. the Michelin's are warranted for 45K and they would have given me 50% off new ones, but considering other tires were 50% less and I knew they would last longer I skipped a second set. And if I only expected 20K form a UHP AS then I would just do summer tires as my summer Potenzas had 4/32 at 17K when I dumped them on my M37S.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by KeithL
My General AS3 had 5/32 with 28K on them when I got rid of my M37S and they were awesome other than they were very loud due to the aggressive unidirectional pattern. the Michelin's are warranted for 45K and they would have given me 50% off new ones, but considering other tires were 50% less and I knew they would last longer I skipped a second set. And if I only expected 20K form a UHP AS then I would just do summer tires as my summer Potenzas had 4/32 at 17K when I dumped them on my M37S.
I'll have to see what kind of wear I get. I don't drive them hard, and I keep them properly inflated and rotated.

I live in the southeast US, so summer tires don't work, since it routinely goes down to the 20's and even teens at night, and we can see a dusting or so of snow or sleet. No way am I putting winter tires on my car here in Georgia.

When I lived in New England for many years, I had a set of winter tires from Nov-Apr, and summer tires or all seasons for the rest of the year.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:49 PM
Suzuka Master

I am in Georgia as well. One thing that I think hurt the tread life was they were on my Audi and Quattro is a little more abusive on tires and the car was over 4000 lbs. I did run them 3-4psi over and rotated and balanced them like clockwork. They were however some of the best riding and handling AS tires I have ever had, great in dry and wet.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Also check out the new P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS. People are saying good things about them and they are low in price.

Tire Test Results : Does the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ Have What It Takes to Be a Top Performer?

Old 09-24-2016, 10:17 PM
Pro

I was cleaning my rims today and saw a small bubble on the sidewall of the left front tire.
That's all the excuse I needed to order a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 from Tire Rack.

Reviews seem to be saying that the Pilot A/S 3+ has better handling but, has a sometimes harsh ride and that the new compound Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus was bad in light snow.

I was planning to order 235/50/18 but, they were $33 more per tire and I was slightly worried about speedo error so I went with the 225's.

By coincidence, one of the local installers with road-force balancing is my Acura dealer. My car spends a lot of time there for warranty work so it will feel right at home.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:23 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard good things about continental extreme contact and will probably will be my next set after my OEM Stock tires are dead. But on a side note, I am actually selling a set of winter tires and rims if you might be interested in that for the winter months coming.

Cheers!
Old 09-25-2016, 07:38 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by catbert430
I was cleaning my rims today and saw a small bubble on the sidewall of the left front tire.
That's all the excuse I needed to order a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 from Tire Rack.

Reviews seem to be saying that the Pilot A/S 3+ has better handling but, has a sometimes harsh ride and that the new compound Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus was bad in light snow.

I was planning to order 235/50/18 but, they were $33 more per tire and I was slightly worried about speedo error so I went with the 225's.

By coincidence, one of the local installers with road-force balancing is my Acura dealer. My car spends a lot of time there for warranty work so it will feel right at home.
Just wanted to mention that Acura replaced the stock Goodyears with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires on my AWD TLX at about 2K miles. I have 10K miles now, and the ride has been smooth and the handling good.

The original vibration has been gone, and there is no noise or other harsh ride with the Michelins.
catbert430 (09-25-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 11:15 PM
Instructor

Really curious on where you heard the P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS were bad in the snow. I have heard much worse about snow performance on the Pilot A/S 3 and the Pilot A/S 3+. Just wondering.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:06 PM
Pro

Really curious on where you heard the P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS were bad in the snow. I have heard much worse about snow performance on the Pilot A/S 3 and the Pilot A/S 3+. Just wondering.
It was a couple of customer reviews on Tirerack.com.

I sure hope the Contis are as good as people say.
I panicked on Sunday and tried to call to change the order to Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ because I liked the original A/S years ago and have no experience with Continental. Plus, the Contis are made in Romania vs the Michelins being US made.

Tire Rack is closed on Sunday so I just decided to let the order stand.
After all, it's not a lifetime commitment.

Last edited by catbert430; 09-27-2016 at 05:14 PM. Reason: additional text
Old 10-02-2016, 09:59 PM
Senior Moderator

It was a couple of customer reviews on Tirerack.com.

I sure hope the Contis are as good as people say.
I panicked on Sunday and tried to call to change the order to Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ because I liked the original A/S years ago and have no experience with Continental. Plus, the Contis are made in Romania vs the Michelins being US made.

Tire Rack is closed on Sunday so I just decided to let the order stand.
After all, it's not a lifetime commitment.
Owned the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 2 and hated them, almost lost my life over them, the P-Zero is def better than the A/S 3 from Michelin, and with that said the DWS or DWS-06 is better than the A/S 3 & P Zero

DWS06 > DWS > P Zero > Michelin A/S 3 > Factory tire

You'll be very happy with the DWS, I've bought 2 complete sets of the DWS for my 3G TL and 1 set of the DWS-06 now for my accord that I drive cross country in weekly
catbert430 (10-08-2016)

Quick Reply: All-Season Tire Recommendations?