Whistling Noise Coming From Engine Bay

Old 08-06-2015, 06:37 PM
Instructor

Received 159 Likes on 47 Posts

I have been having a slight problem with my TLX. I have a V6 Advance and every time the car gets up to temperature (Not just an ideal temp. but a driving temperature) there is a rather loud whistling noise coming from the engine bay. It started a few weeks ago. Nothing too serious just rather annoying. So I waited until my next scheduled oil change/service. Which was yesterday/today.

I called up my service advisor and told him of my problem. I might have been a little "too wordy" and at the same time not given him enough information. If that makes any sense... Anyhow I showed up for my appointment to drop the car off for the evening and pick it up the following day. Explained to him my problem of a noise, like a whistle, ticking, clicking noise when the car got up to temperature. Well I guess the only word(s) he really heard was ticking and maybe clicking. He took his notes and we said our goodbyes.

I made three mistakes I believe. 1) I should have only said it was a loud whistling noise 2) When the car gets up to "driving" temperature is when it happens. Needs a few miles to really got hot. 3) Showed him my videos I made. Just completely skipped my mind until today. Well fast forward to today. While in the office I get the call that the car is ready. Awesome. However he informs me that the noise I am hearing is normal as it's the fuel injectors. I was almost at a loose of words. He then explained is was just normal characteristics of the engine. I said OK. Said our goodbyes and hung up the phone. Scratched my head then go back to work.

A few hours ago I was dropped off at the dealership and meet with the advisor. I would like to add he is a super nice guy and would never truly give me the run around. We do the paper work thing and walk over to my car. We start it and there is no whistling noise. Just the true loud sound of the fuel injectors squirting out fuel. I know a little about cars/engines but by no means a mechanic. So I understand that sound is normal. We say our goodbyes and I am on my way. Stop at the gas station after sitting in traffic for awhile and sure enough... loud whistling.

So I write this extremely long post to ask is this normal?

I just truly think it was a miscommunication thing. The real problem or noise I was having was never really looked over. They never drove the car as they probably let it sit there for 10-15 minutes idling. Car was returned with the same amount of miles on it as it arrived with.

Here are the two videos I made a few weeks back.

1) Right as I start it up. Normal. No noise.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dfSU23vxHlY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2) After driving to work. (30mins/20 miles)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wo3vkIONewA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Can you notice the whistling noise? It can be heard heavily towards the end of the video. I know that there are some birds whistling/chirping in the background.

Video 3. This was taken just a few minutes ago in my garage with the hood popped. This is after an hour+ ride home from the dealership. It can be heard better in this video due to the hood being popped and inside the garage.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FYcTBgEt6r4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

All that whistling is coming from the engine bay. Is that normal? Am I just being way too picky? I know for the 10+ months prior I never, ever, heard anything like that. It seems to me, which I even mentioned, it could be a thermostat? It is only when the engine gets really hot. So the excessive heat/pressure is escaping somewhere/somehow. I plan to head back to the dealership in a week or so and will be much more detailed with my description and show him my videos. However I wanted to hear what you all thought it could possibly be.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:03 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
for what iv been hearing other than the tikling it seems to be something is loose maybe the cap engine or something else, check or follow the sound with a piece of hose
Old 08-06-2015, 11:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts

Blow Off Valve?
Old 08-07-2015, 12:10 AM
9th Gear

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PreludeVTEC01
I have been having a slight problem with my TLX. I have a V6 Advance and every time the car gets up to temperature (Not just an ideal temp. but a driving temperature) there is a rather loud whistling noise coming from the engine bay. It started a few weeks ago. Nothing too serious just rather annoying. So I waited until my next scheduled oil change/service. Which was yesterday/today.

I called up my service advisor and told him of my problem. I might have been a little "too wordy" and at the same time not given him enough information. If that makes any sense... Anyhow I showed up for my appointment to drop the car off for the evening and pick it up the following day. Explained to him my problem of a noise, like a whistle, ticking, clicking noise when the car got up to temperature. Well I guess the only word(s) he really heard was ticking and maybe clicking. He took his notes and we said our goodbyes.

I made three mistakes I believe. 1) I should have only said it was a loud whistling noise 2) When the car gets up to "driving" temperature is when it happens. Needs a few miles to really got hot. 3) Showed him my videos I made. Just completely skipped my mind until today. Well fast forward to today. While in the office I get the call that the car is ready. Awesome. However he informs me that the noise I am hearing is normal as it's the fuel injectors. I was almost at a loose of words. He then explained is was just normal characteristics of the engine. I said OK. Said our goodbyes and hung up the phone. Scratched my head then go back to work.

A few hours ago I was dropped off at the dealership and meet with the advisor. I would like to add he is a super nice guy and would never truly give me the run around. We do the paper work thing and walk over to my car. We start it and there is no whistling noise. Just the true loud sound of the fuel injectors squirting out fuel. I know a little about cars/engines but by no means a mechanic. So I understand that sound is normal. We say our goodbyes and I am on my way. Stop at the gas station after sitting in traffic for awhile and sure enough... loud whistling.

So I write this extremely long post to ask is this normal?

I just truly think it was a miscommunication thing. The real problem or noise I was having was never really looked over. They never drove the car as they probably let it sit there for 10-15 minutes idling. Car was returned with the same amount of miles on it as it arrived with.

Here are the two videos I made a few weeks back.

1) Right as I start it up. Normal. No noise.

2) After driving to work. (30mins/20 miles)

Can you notice the whistling noise? It can be heard heavily towards the end of the video. I know that there are some birds whistling/chirping in the background.

Video 3. This was taken just a few minutes ago in my garage with the hood popped. This is after an hour+ ride home from the dealership. It can be heard better in this video due to the hood being popped and inside the garage.

All that whistling is coming from the engine bay. Is that normal? Am I just being way too picky? I know for the 10+ months prior I never, ever, heard anything like that. It seems to me, which I even mentioned, it could be a thermostat? It is only when the engine gets really hot. So the excessive heat/pressure is escaping somewhere/somehow. I plan to head back to the dealership in a week or so and will be much more detailed with my description and show him my videos. However I wanted to hear what you all thought it could possibly be.
The chirping noise I hear in the video that happens inconsistently when compared to the constant chirp of the direct injector pulsing noise is something I have heard before. I am a service advisor and have seen several 2014 MDX's come in with this same noise. We have found that it is coming from the high pressure fuel pump. We have changed the fuel pump module and it has fixed the problem each time. I have not yet seen it on a V6 TLX but it is the same direct injection system, do I am not surprised to see it happen.

It is somewhat hard to duplicate and therefore diagnose. It is dependent on engine temp and usually only happens after 20—30 mins of regular driving, rarely does it happen when just letting the vehicle idle/heat soak. I suggest you drive the car until the noise happens, visit your dealership/advisor leave the engine running and ask that a technician/mechanic come listen to the noise. They will probably have to call Acura tech line who will most likely instruct them to replace the fuel pump module. Part is usually special order and takes a couple hours to replace.

Hope this helps get your TLX purring again!
The following 3 users liked this post by BWP15UB3ADV:
PreludeVTEC01 (08-14-2015), Rocketsfan (09-14-2015), slimm1469 (03-20-2017)
Old 08-14-2015, 01:39 PM
Instructor

BWP15UB3ADV - First I want to thank you for the very informative post. You literally nailed it. That is exactly what it is. I just spoke to my service advisory about it. However it wasn't a pleasant conversation.

A little update to my whistling problem.

I was able to drop my car off Tuesday evening at my Acura dealership. The car was making the noise and the service advisory along with a tech and just random worker heard the noise. Everyone noticed it and noted it was abnormal. I even mentioned BWP's post from above about it being the fuel pump. I sign the paper work and leave it there. Wednesday passes. I hear nothing. Thursday afternoon I still hadn't heard anything so I called up there just to be told they can't figure it out and are still working on it.

Today, Friday around 2:00, I get the call about my car. He said that it took so much time because the tech line was so busy and just called them back this morning. Anyhow it is the fuel pump. However.... they said they weren't going to fix it. He said that it's common. Tech line said they have replaced them in past just to have the same whistling noise come back after 1000miles of driving. I was literally floored... a lost of words. I told him that I couldn't live with it and that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. That it's just unacceptable. I truly couldn't believe that they weren't going to out right replace it. He said he would do his "due diligence" and try and get it approved to be replaced. I said thank you and we hung up.

Again it is crazy to think that they wouldn't just outright replace it. I am waiting to hear back from him.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:33 PM
9th Gear

Smile

Originally Posted by PreludeVTEC01
BWP15UB3ADV - First I want to thank you for the very informative post. You literally nailed it. That is exactly what it is. I just spoke to my service advisory about it. However it wasn't a pleasant conversation.

A little update to my whistling problem.

I was able to drop my car off Tuesday evening at my Acura dealership. The car was making the noise and the service advisory along with a tech and just random worker heard the noise. Everyone noticed it and noted it was abnormal. I even mentioned BWP's post from above about it being the fuel pump. I sign the paper work and leave it there. Wednesday passes. I hear nothing. Thursday afternoon I still hadn't heard anything so I called up there just to be told they can't figure it out and are still working on it.

Today, Friday around 2:00, I get the call about my car. He said that it took so much time because the tech line was so busy and just called them back this morning. Anyhow it is the fuel pump. However.... they said they weren't going to fix it. He said that it's common. Tech line said they have replaced them in past just to have the same whistling noise come back after 1000miles of driving. I was literally floored... a lost of words. I told him that I couldn't live with it and that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. That it's just unacceptable. I truly couldn't believe that they weren't going to out right replace it. He said he would do his "due diligence" and try and get it approved to be replaced. I said thank you and we hung up.

Again it is crazy to think that they wouldn't just outright replace it. I am waiting to hear back from him.
First piece of advice to you sir is to find another Acura Service Dept. Short of calling them liars, so many of the things you state they told you are unusual to say the least.

Techline would never take multiple days to provide information/assistance. The process works with the Technician first fills out an online form on the Honda Interactive Network with a description of the concern/problem and steps taken to diagnose/fix the problem. The system then returns a techline reference number and a access code for the technician to call into the Techline Hotline.

I have never heard of Techline telling a dealership to not replace a part that fixes a known problem with a vehicle. Like I said it is well documented that this problem is apparent in Acura's Direct Injection system and although as I stated I have yet to replace a Fuel Pump module on a TLX I have replaced about a dozen on MDX's and not one of those client's have called me back to say the problem is still there and some of those client's are high maintenance and will only deal/work with me at my dealership.

Sad to say that some technicians and service advisors don't have the passion and product knowledge that some of us have. I work with service advisors that cannot explain the 4 strokes of an internal combustion engine but are just good salesman, then there is some of us who eat/sleep and **it this product or cars in general.

But i digress, my advice is if you do not have another dealership to go to in the general area I would recommend that you start by making a call to the Acura Client Services hotline and explain your situation/concern/experience. They have a very unique way of applying pressure on a dealership service dept to make things right. I would also recommend to call and speak to the dealership Service/Part Director and ask him to involve his District Parts and Service Manager (DPSM). I wouldn't be surprised if he quickly changes his tune.

Keep me posted or let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:01 PM
Ero
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey PreludeVTEC01, did this ever get fixed for you? Mine's been doing the same thing for a while, and I'm coming up on A1 service so I'm wondering if I should even bring it up or not.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:15 PM
Advanced

mine is also doing same noise what it is??
Old 09-28-2015, 10:30 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same whistle noise and the service adviser told it's normal which is not, I reported that to Acura client Relations.
I believe the gentleman who posted here.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:09 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by mnodaddy
I had the same whistle noise and the service adviser told it's normal which is not, I reported that to Acura client Relations.
I believe the gentleman who posted here.
Some injector pulse noise is normal but it is consistent and linear in sound. The noise in the OP's video clip is not normal. I have had to replace several high pressure fuel pump modules on countless MDX's and now also a few TLX (V6's only) for this concern. Don't let them tell you it is normal.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:03 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by BWP15UB3ADV
Some injector pulse noise is normal but it is consistent and linear in sound. The noise in the OP's video clip is not normal. I have had to replace several high pressure fuel pump modules on countless MDX's and now also a few TLX (V6's only) for this concern. Don't let them tell you it is normal.
Not after I heard from you and I already not convinced about the sound.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:43 PM
10th Gear

I took this video of the sound but I guarantee you it's get louder. And did you see that rusty exhaust header is it normal to look like that ?

Last edited by mnodaddy; 09-29-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:44 PM
10th Gear

I took this video of the sound but I guarantee you it's get louder. And did you see that rusty exhaust header is it normal to look like that ?

Sendvid - Instant video upload
Old 12-02-2016, 06:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting thread. I to have some unusual noise under my hood. I'd describe it as a persistent whistle or continuous squeaky sound. It happens cold or warm, matches RPM. Not audible while driving though. But sitting in the driveway idling, my new TLX sounds "cheap" compared to our silent '14 TL with basically the same engine (?) Hopefully I can post up a video/audio of it in action.

OP- I can't seem to pull up your video link of yours doing it's thing. Any chance you could you re-post it or re-link please?

mnodaddy- so is yours timing belt or fuel pump?? Mine seems very similar...

Or if anyone else has other videos of said annoying EITHER timing belt chirp OR fuel pump sounds, I'd be much obliged

Last edited by noclutch; 12-02-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:19 AM
Instructor

nocluth - I am happy to shed a little light on this known issue.

Here are the uploads.
(No Chirp)

(Chirp w. Hood Closed)

(Hood Open - Loud Chirp)

I had my fuel pump replaced over a year ago when I first heard the noise. Before Acura released a service bulletin about this exact issue. I was luck to get the replacement however the noise did come back. ((Flash forward months)) just a few weeks ago I had the transmission replaced (a WHOLE different problem) and the service rep. I spoke with said that he was going to do the pulley spacer (SB) to see if that gets rid of the noise which sadly it didn't. So next time I bring it in for service hopefully they will replace the fuel pump again, and maybe Acura has somehow improved it so that the chirp will never return again. Who knows?

Here is a link to the SB: http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-008.PDF

Print that out and bring it by your dealership. Also check your PM for a little more info.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:51 PM
Intermediate

Thanks Prelude! Hopefully soon I'll have some video/audio of mine doing it's chirp/whir thing. I pretty sure do have the fuel pump tick, but something else as well.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:22 PM
Intermediate

Prelude- mine does sound pretty similar, however it seems to be coming from to right rear area instead of up front.

Last edited by noclutch; 12-09-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Whistling noise you say....

Check for one of these:
Old 03-17-2017, 12:42 PM
Advanced

Wow @thoiboi aka Trolling everywhere with nothing else to do with his boring life! Work it out hunty!
i have the same issue also @ with this noise. Btw thoiboi! I'm much more of a comedian than you are lol ��
Trust me your jokes on here are LAME like you are MARY! NOT READ!
Old 03-19-2017, 05:58 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Just ignore him. He never adds anything useful to the conversation. Just another troll.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:04 PM
Advanced

3 weeks ago the sound was fixed but it came vack again!! they replace the fuel pump and dome sore of chim to a poly
Old 03-20-2017, 09:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by alpha2beta
Just ignore him. He never adds anything useful to the conversation. Just another troll.
@alpha2beta yeah you are right! He never does add anything useful that thoiboi aka TROLL lol!!!!
Id like to throw her into a fire pit and burn her books because anything she posts that hunty! Isn't Read!
Old 05-04-2017, 03:48 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Mine has been making the same exact chirping noise. Took the car in today for an oil change and told them about it. After inspecting the car and calling the tech line, they called and said they are going to replace the fuel pump. Hopefully that gets rid of the problem
Old 05-31-2017, 02:56 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
So got the fuel pump replaced about a month ago now. I have driven it about 700 miles since the replacement, and the chirping/ticking noise is now gone. The car is definitely much more enjoyable without that annoying sound, and I am much happier with it now