Wacky Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 07:29 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Wacky Wipers

With all this rain in so cal, has anyone else had issues with the AUTO setting having a mind of its own? Slow, fast, constantly switching. Going faster with no rain, slower with more.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:07 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Been discussed in other threads... yes, it happens.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:32 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
In general, my AUTO mode operates as it should; however, several times I've noticed the wipers going very fast when there's practically no rain. After several cycles, back to normal. Probably happens every other time I drive the car. Yeah, mind of it's own.

As Rocketsfan said, been discussed.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:59 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
IME, raining sensing wipers, regardless of brand of car or SUV never seem to work right.. They either don't wipe when you need them too, or they wipe fast for no reason at all. Give me the old fashion intermittent wipers any day..
Old 01-23-2017, 04:03 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by JT4
IME, raining sensing wipers, regardless of brand of car or SUV never seem to work right.. They either don't wipe when you need them too, or they wipe fast for no reason at all. Give me the old fashion intermittent wipers any day..
The ones in my 02 MBZ SL work just fine. Then again, I rarely ever take it out in the rain.

I did a search ands there is a doc to check the silicon mounting pad.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Yup, I have owned 3 cars with Auto wipers and the TLX is the only one that under same rain conditions goes for intermittent to frenzy. Just add another item to my list of why I hate this damn car.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:37 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
I love the auto wiper setting. That is where my lever resides almost all the time. My wipers run when they should and don't run when they shouldn't. It works so reliably that it's easy to forget they are even standing by. My periodic reminder is when I get swiped at when washing the car or cleaning the windshield at the gas station. Makes me chuckle.

My specific issue is that, when in auto and with the wipers swiping at a proper frequency for vehicle speed and rate of rainfall, they once in a while go up to full speed and remain there until I manually reset them. Moving the lever to off and back to auto restores the proper frequency. I don't think this is related to a bad camera or misaligned film. Anyone else with Advance observe this? I doubt there is a fix. It's just weird. No big deal.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:44 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by someguy11
I love the auto wiper setting. That is where my lever resides almost all the time. My wipers run when they should and don't run when they shouldn't. It works so reliably that it's easy to forget they are even standing by. My periodic reminder is when I get swiped at when washing the car or cleaning the windshield at the gas station. Makes me chuckle.

My specific issue is that, when in auto and with the wipers swiping at a proper frequency for vehicle speed and rate of rainfall, they once in a while go up to full speed and remain there until I manually reset them. Moving the lever to off and back to auto restores the proper frequency. I don't think this is related to a bad camera or misaligned film. Anyone else with Advance observe this? I doubt there is a fix. It's just weird. No big deal.
Yeah, that basically fits under the "wacky wiper" syndrome title of this thread. Mine does that. Sometimes if I let it go for a bit, it'll calm down. Other times I get fed up and "reset" it by stopping and starting the wipers. Sometimes that works, other times it just goes back to full speed in a sprinkle immediately. I've just gotten used to the fact this functionality is "wacky".