Things I find Disturbing in TLX 4/dct

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 09:25 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Things I find Disturbing in TLX 4/dct

Compared to my previous vehicals Murano, Maxima and Civic. My TLX presents several issues.

Awkward entry due to steering wheel limited adjustment range.
Cup holders unsuited to larger containers.
Arm rest/container set too far back preventing easy inspection of contents.
Headlamps on low beam only suitable for driving on level road.
Goodyear LS tires have poor cornering grip on roads that are not perfectly smooth. Dirt, rough surface and leaves have them skidding.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
1. I've driven all those vehicles and don't find the TLX to be any different in terms of entry. (I don't know if the 4cyl model has it, but does your seat adjust back when turning off the vehicle and opening the door?)

2. Mine holds a fast food sized "Medium" cup, plenty large enough for me and has room to spare. If you hold anything larger than that, I hope the drink in it is water.

3. I agree that it is further back than my 3g TL armrest, but it's still plenty comfortable. Unless your steering wheel is very close to you then I can see it being too far.

4. Love these headlights, shine far brighter and wider than my 3g TL with Osram CBI bulbs. You can manually adjust the height too.

5. Yeah the tires suck, the Potenzas that come with the v6 aren't much better either.
The following 5 users liked this post by dezymond:
a35tl (12-12-2015), jim256 (12-12-2015), mapleloaf (12-11-2015), Tony Pac (04-23-2016), wlkeel (12-12-2015)
Old 12-12-2015, 05:16 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by pwftlx
Compared to my previous vehicals Murano, Maxima and Civic. My TLX presents several issues.

Awkward entry due to steering wheel limited adjustment range.
Cup holders unsuited to larger containers.
Arm rest/container set too far back preventing easy inspection of contents.
Headlamps on low beam only suitable for driving on level road.
Goodyear LS tires have poor cornering grip on roads that are not perfectly smooth. Dirt, rough surface and leaves have them skidding.
I agree with all the points below. I find getting in and out of the car very easy, certainly easier than the Civic. The cup holders hold two What-a-Burger cups which are pretty dang big even by TX standards. My TSX could not do that. The head lights are great, better than any other cars I've driven. They do have a cut off to avoid blinding on-coming cars. Never had a problem with them lighting up the road. I wish the arm rest slide forward. The opening is further back to leave more room for the cup holders ;-) And yes the tires aren't the best but all new cars have cheap tires on them out of the factory. They are not a problem for me, but I'm not driving on dirt roads.

If all these things are so 'disturbing' why did you buy the car? The new Civic is bigger than the old Civic. Maybe you would have been happier with a Civic and saved a lot of money.

Originally Posted by dezymond
1. I've driven all those vehicles and don't find the TLX to be any different in terms of entry. (I don't know if the 4cyl model has it, but does your seat adjust back when turning off the vehicle and opening the door?)

2. Mine holds a fast food sized "Medium" cup, plenty large enough for me and has room to spare. If you hold anything larger than that, I hope the drink in it is water.

3. I agree that it is further back than my 3g TL armrest, but it's still plenty comfortable. Unless your steering wheel is very close to you then I can see it being too far.

4. Love these headlights, shine far brighter and wider than my 3g TL with Osram CBI bulbs. You can manually adjust the height too.

5. Yeah the tires suck, the Potenzas that come with the v6 aren't much better either.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rocket_man:
jim256 (12-12-2015), Warrior 6 (12-12-2015), wlkeel (12-12-2015)
Old 12-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I agree with all the points below. I find getting in and out of the car very easy, certainly easier than the Civic. The cup holders hold two What-a-Burger cups which are pretty dang big even by TX standards. My TSX could not do that. The head lights are great, better than any other cars I've driven. They do have a cut off to avoid blinding on-coming cars. Never had a problem with them lighting up the road. I wish the arm rest slide forward. The opening is further back to leave more room for the cup holders ;-) And yes the tires aren't the best but all new cars have cheap tires on them out of the factory. They are not a problem for me, but I'm not driving on dirt roads.

If all these things are so 'disturbing' why did you buy the car? The new Civic is bigger than the old Civic. Maybe you would have been happier with a Civic and saved a lot of money.
To the OP's defense, I think some of his issues with the vehicle can't really be found out with a test drive.

1. I don't know anyone who carries around a cup to a dealership to test out the cupholders. Nor have I ever seen it.

2. The headlight thing can be hard to test as well as many people tend to visit dealers while there's sunlight to test drive, and also there are certain routes that dealerships tend to have customers take when test driving which usually tend to be flat roads.

That being said, I personally wouldn't find any of the points the OP made to be dealbreakers. I would agree that the armrest sits a bit far back and that a sliding feature would be great, but it is what it is and I still find it comfortable, just not as comfortable as the 3G TL. If anything, I miss the gear lever for my hand to rest on, I've used a water bottle in the cupholder to hold onto a couple of times....
Old 12-12-2015, 02:57 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
I would agree that the armrest sits a bit far back and that a sliding feature would be great, but it is what it is and I still find it comfortable, just not as comfortable as the 3G TL. If anything, I miss the gear lever for my hand to rest on, I've used a water bottle in the cupholder to hold onto a couple of times....

I find the 3G TL (-S) armrest to be quite uncomfortable actually. I like how it slides forwards, but I do not like how hard it is. The 3G one is rock hard, while the TLX one is nicely padded.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:09 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
I find the 3G TL (-S) armrest to be quite uncomfortable actually. I like how it slides forwards, but I do not like how hard it is. The 3G one is rock hard, while the TLX one is nicely padded.
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...rmrest-639974/
The following users liked this post:
youngTL (12-13-2015)
Old 12-12-2015, 09:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah the TLX is much softer, but I never found my 3G TL armrest to ever be uncomfortable. Definitely could've used more padding though
Old 12-13-2015, 12:11 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Yeah the TLX is much softer, but I never found my 3G TL armrest to ever be uncomfortable. Definitely could've used more padding though
I guess I have hard elbows. Even the door armrest on my 3G is uncomfortable (for me). The TLX's was better in both areas. It could be that my 3G had no padding at all in the centre, lol. It really felt rock hard.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
To the OP's defense, I think some of his issues with the vehicle can't really be found out with a test drive.

1. I don't know anyone who carries around a cup to a dealership to test out the cupholders. Nor have I ever seen it.
Better question is who needs a 55 gallon barrel of sugar saturated pop while driving?
mapleloaf (12-17-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 05:26 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
If you find that annoying do not buy a BMW. The thing only holds 4 (yes four) quarters. What good is that. Glove box is mad small even in the 3 series. The center console is small and doesnt move. The arm rests are hard but the door panel is soft, ummm what? Their lights are good too, but have a similar cut off. And you have to pay a lot more for basically the same things the acuras have. Of course ours is a coupe, but its basically the same as the sedan.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

I guess I have hard elbows. Even the door armrest on my 3G is uncomfortable (for me). The TLX's was better in both areas. It could be that my 3G had no padding at all in the centre, lol. It really felt rock hard.
I don't know, mine wasn't super padded but it wasn't uncomfortable either. Maybe I just didn't put as much weight either of my elbows when using both?
Old 12-14-2015, 10:12 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
The funny thing about the tires - I read a lot of people who don't like them but frankly for the type of driving I do they've been great. They're very quiet and ride well. I'm getting good MPG - averaging 32 MPG in 15 months of driving. They corner great in day to day driving and were decent on the snow last Winter.

I think they're fine for a daily driver.
The following 2 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
mapleloaf (12-17-2015), tlxsteve (12-17-2015)
Old 04-23-2016, 08:26 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Goodyear LS have horrible wet traction. I was skidding barely accelerating. I find the TLX a little hard to get in/ out of, not a big deal
Old 04-24-2016, 02:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
1) Does your seat not slide back when you exit the car? It does on the advance model I thought all trims did that though, check into that

2) I wouldnt know. I dont allow any food or drinks in my car period. Hell, if it was offered as an option for cup holders I would have declined it haha

3) Thats a first world problem, deal with it.

4) Yeah the headlights tend to point slightly down in the TLX, well, thats what high beams are for if your not gonna blind anyone

5) Yeah everyone hates the stock tires, replace them then, or I plan to buy michelin at 30-40K once they are getting work
5 Acuras (04-25-2016)