sulfur odor/fumes 2016 TLX V6 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 01:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sulfur odor/fumes 2016 TLX V6 AWD

I am having an issue with a sulfur odor/ fumes coming into the cabin when I accelerate hard; speeding up on an on-ramp. The odor eventually dissipates. Although it sometimes comes back on the highway. No problem during city driving. It doesn't smell like it 100% exhaust fumes. My (uneducated) guess is that fuel is not being burned properly, or maybe there is a leak somewhere.

A previous post referenced the same issue a while ago, and suggested that the catalytic converter may not be operating properly, or a leak somewhere. I pointed this out the tech at my last service over the Summer. The tech couldn't replicate it, or find a leak. I couldn't drive fast enough near the dealership to replicate the condition to the tech. He suggested that it may be caused by using bad fuel / improper octane. I use Premium fuel exclusively. I tried different brands. Its not the fuel.

I had four TL's before this TLX. No similar issues before.

Any advice/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
sulfur odors is primarily cat as well.. I'll wait for others to chime in.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:32 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
it does sound like catalytic converter isnt burning off fuel on high speed runs.

I would assume that EVENTUALLY this smell would go away, by doing more high speed runs!
Old 12-05-2016, 01:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Now you got an excuse when you get pulled over for speeding.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was hoping it would eventually go away by hitting on the right brand of gas. No such luck.

I also have an issue with a clicking noise coming from the engine compartment after the car warms up in cold weather. Some have attributed this to a problem with the fuel pump. Related? I know nothing about cars. I have a lot of ticky-tack issues with my TLX that my Acura service dept. can't seem resolve, including vibration on highway. There is a new TSB for that. Hope to get all these issues resolved at my next service. I am more that a little frustrated wit TLX. My 4 previous TL's were essentially bullet proof.

Thanks for your input.