View Poll Results: Have the TLX 8-speed DCT trans problems been resolved with updates or not ?
Yes, trans issues resolved with updates
70.00%
No, trans issues still prevalent
30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

POLL : Have the TLX 8-speed DCT trans problems been resolved with updates or not ?

Old 02-16-2017, 04:07 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
POLL : Have the TLX 8-speed DCT trans problems been resolved with updates or not ?

Please let me know if you believe the 8-speed DCT transmission problems have been resolved with the recent software updates or not
Old 02-17-2017, 09:23 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
What recent updates are you referring to? I have a 15 and Acura shows no updates for my VIN.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:39 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Sounds like djspyder1995 is fishing for answers before buying the car. it's DCT kid. if you're gonna do some due diligence on research on it do it properly and find out what that means instead of asking an open ended question as a poll without context.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:04 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by LAMike240
What recent updates are you referring to? I have a 15 and Acura shows no updates for my VIN.
If you're doing a recall search, not all (actually very few) updates get escalated to "recall status". Many updates are via Technical Service Bulletins (TSB's). They're not all necessary, but can help improve your "driving experience".
Old 02-22-2017, 05:50 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
There are no updates, recalls or tsb's that cover my vin. How I wish there was.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:39 PM
4th Gear

i've researched Google and multiple forum sites, and have spoken to Acura technicians.
I know DCTs operate differently and do not shift and feel as traditional 6-speed transmission do.
So i know some of the talk/replies are subjective.
However there were TSBs for the 2015 and 2016 DCTs that do involve updating and/or reprogramming.
The purpose of the poll was to gain a feedback from the community and TLX owners if they believe the issues have been addressed or not.
I currently have a TL Type-S and will probably be in the market for a TLX in the next year or so but have been hesitant due to the complaints and feedback regarding the DCT.
I appreciate the feedback so far. I hope the poll gains more replies and maybe others will benefit from the information as well.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:52 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
I had two TSB's applied to my DCT. The main issues I had prior to the TSB's were:
1) Long delay when shifting from R to D. This has been 100% resolved.
2) (happened twice to me) Out of the blue when slowing to a stop the car would drop down into 1st gear and lurch forward - almost as if someone had hit you from behind. It was quite unnerving both times it happened. This has not happened since the TSB's were applied but on rare occasions you get a little bump when slowing to a stop.

That's pretty much it. There are a few nits I have with the DCT: When cold the shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 are a bit klunky - when warm they're smooth. Secondly - on rare occasions when coasting to a stop, then getting back on the gas (without ever stopping) the car will hesitate for a second (almost like it's not sure what gear to go into) then drop into 1st and GO. It doesn't happen enough (I can't tell you the last time it happened) for me to even mention it to the service guys.

That's it. I would say it's 95% great and 5% klunky - which all in all isn't anything to worry about in my world. When you stomp on it the shifts are lightening fast!
Really you need to drive one for a couple days (in stop and go driving) to see if it's for you.
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 07:53 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
If there was some sweeping transmission problem with the DCT, I feel like we would have had a better thread on it than a guy fishing for replies.

For all the bad we have heard about the ZF in the V6, the DCT has been solid and has some car mags recommending the I4 for that reason alone.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:40 PM
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
I have a 03/16 built TLX. From the factory it had all the updates applied so I dont have any experience with the cars that dont have them. Over the last 8,000 miles Ive only had the HARD 1st gear downshift happen 3 times. The 3rd time being this past Friday. Each time I was in "Normal" mode, braking aggressively, and had the brake hold system on. Just before the car came to a rest, the transmission would shift down into 1st, combine that with the aggressive braking and auto brake hold activating, it makes the car stop immediately as the shift happens. Ive come accustom to throwing it in neutral under hard braking, but only if there is no one close behind me.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:01 PM
4th Gear

thank you for the replies.
I do appreciate the feedback
Old 03-06-2017, 12:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by djspyder1995
i've researched Google and multiple forum sites, and have spoken to Acura technicians.
I know DCTs operate differently and do not shift and feel as traditional 6-speed transmission do.
So i know some of the talk/replies are subjective.
However there were TSBs for the 2015 and 2016 DCTs that do involve updating and/or reprogramming.
The purpose of the poll was to gain a feedback from the community and TLX owners if they believe the issues have been addressed or not.
I currently have a TL Type-S and will probably be in the market for a TLX in the next year or so but have been hesitant due to the complaints and feedback regarding the DCT.
I appreciate the feedback so far. I hope the poll gains more replies and maybe others will benefit from the information as well.
I also have a Type S (2007 just about to hit 70k miles). Interested in your thoughts as I am on the cusp of going "up" to the TLX. I test drove a 2017 V6 TLX FWD a couple days ago. Just in the past day or so I am trying to digest the transmission issues and apparent bad consumer reports rating on reliability (just what I read in several reviews). This does give me pause as I have had zero issues with my Type S which I bought new and still looks and runs super nice. It seem some people have a continuing poor experience with the trans on the tlx while some others seem to not have an issue.

Also who knows what the 2018 update will bring, seems a mixed bag on what people are expecting (apple car play/android auto would be nice particularly since a 20k civic has it already). Anyway, I didn't notice any odd transmission shifting on my test drive but my overall first impression was that it was slower than the Type S (even though a few more HP), in sport mode the suspension was softer with more lean but the cabin noise was lower, exterior styling kinda plain but the Aero kit (I guess a lesser version of an A-Spec package) really makes it look nice. Not a huge fan of the navigation/controls but somewhat used to it due to the wifes RDX having the "newer" style navigation. I think the Nav in the 3rd generation TL's with touchscreen is one of the best put in a car though. They offered me $4750 off the sticker ($40,450) and 11k trade (which is $11,770 with the sales tax offset in NJ). I am certain they will sweeten that up some as well.

Interested in your thoughts since your kinda in the same spot. I really struggle with letting the Type S go even though its 10 years old at this point. Have had a lot of cars over the years and the S is my second favorite and ten years is by far the longest I have held onto a car. The shortest was 3 weeks (Mazda 626).

I want the Fathom blue. I absolutely love what this guy did with the wheels and a little lowered.
Attached Thumbnails POLL : Have the TLX 8-speed DCT trans problems been resolved with updates or not ?-fathamblue.jpg  
Old 03-06-2017, 12:45 AM
Burning Brakes

^^Ah, just realized this was for the 4Cyl trans. My bad, I am trying to get a handle on the other one.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:30 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jhb31
I also have a Type S (2007 just about to hit 70k miles). Interested in your thoughts as I am on the cusp of going "up" to the TLX. I test drove a 2017 V6 TLX FWD a couple days ago. Just in the past day or so I am trying to digest the transmission issues and apparent bad consumer reports rating on reliability (just what I read in several reviews). This does give me pause as I have had zero issues with my Type S which I bought new and still looks and runs super nice. It seem some people have a continuing poor experience with the trans on the tlx while some others seem to not have an issue.

Also who knows what the 2018 update will bring, seems a mixed bag on what people are expecting (apple car play/android auto would be nice particularly since a 20k civic has it already). Anyway, I didn't notice any odd transmission shifting on my test drive but my overall first impression was that it was slower than the Type S (even though a few more HP), in sport mode the suspension was softer with more lean but the cabin noise was lower, exterior styling kinda plain but the Aero kit (I guess a lesser version of an A-Spec package) really makes it look nice. Not a huge fan of the navigation/controls but somewhat used to it due to the wifes RDX having the "newer" style navigation. I think the Nav in the 3rd generation TL's with touchscreen is one of the best put in a car though. They offered me $4750 off the sticker ($40,450) and 11k trade (which is $11,770 with the sales tax offset in NJ). I am certain they will sweeten that up some as well.

Interested in your thoughts since your kinda in the same spot. I really struggle with letting the Type S go even though its 10 years old at this point. Have had a lot of cars over the years and the S is my second favorite and ten years is by far the longest I have held onto a car. The shortest was 3 weeks (Mazda 626).

I want the Fathom blue. I absolutely love what this guy did with the wheels and a little lowered.
My TL Type-S is the best car I've owned.
Best mix of performance, gas mileage (considering the HP), and interior room. (Previous cars being 2005 TSX, 1999 Integra.)
However I'm approaching 140k and being out of warranty is kind of a crap shoot.
I'd prefer selling it before any major repairs are necessary or before any issues arise so I could get the most money for it when I sell.

I'm opting for the 4-cyl TLX because it's plenty of power for me (i'm 35 married with kids now) and would appreciate the fuel efficiency on my 33 mile commute to and from work.
I test drove a 4-cyl TLX at the end of last summer. I didn't notice any issues and it drove pretty nice.
The following users liked this post:
jhb31 (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 09:34 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
^^Ah, just realized this was for the 4Cyl trans. My bad, I am trying to get a handle on the other one.
The Honda DCT is pretty much excellent from everything i have read. I'm not sure the OP has a legitimate concern, seeing as his poll is clearly biased.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by djspyder1995
My TL Type-S is the best car I've owned.
Best mix of performance, gas mileage (considering the HP), and interior room. (Previous cars being 2005 TSX, 1999 Integra.)
However I'm approaching 140k and being out of warranty is kind of a crap shoot.
I'd prefer selling it before any major repairs are necessary or before any issues arise so I could get the most money for it when I sell.

I'm opting for the 4-cyl TLX because it's plenty of power for me (i'm 35 married with kids now) and would appreciate the fuel efficiency on my 33 mile commute to and from work.
I test drove a 4-cyl TLX at the end of last summer. I didn't notice any issues and it drove pretty nice.

I put a deposit down yesterday but am undecided on the color. I have until monday at 9am to change it.

Search this Thread