LDW and wiper acting up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 12:33 AM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LDW and wiper acting up?

Hi guys,
Noticed in the rain, I have 2 issues. One is my LDW does not work. Is this normal due to the rain? Second is my wiper acting funky. Auto rain sensing work,but after a few minutes, it just start to wipe none stop as if I'm putting it on constant wiping. Or it wipe work intermittent and then nonstop 4 times and back to intermittent...I got this on video so will see if the dealer want to see it themselves or video will do. I see there is a TSB out there for the sensor but it for the v6 model. Will it applied to i4 as well?

The car is 16' TLX 4cyl. Thanks all.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:34 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Probably a camera mount issue. There is a TSB on the problem.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:02 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
The rain-sensing wipers can lose their minds every now and then from what I've experienced. There are times I've driven into a parking garage from the rain and the things sped up. There are other times where it starts to rain heavy and the wipers don't speed up or it stops raining and the wipers keep going fast. I have to intervene more often than not.

As for the LDW, I'm not sure. It could be a camera issue. What is it doing or not doing that makes you think it's not working? I don't believe it's supposed to do anything under 40 or 45 mph, for example. And yes, things like the weather and the conditions of the lane markers will affect it.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:40 PM
Racer

I guess I'm not the only one with this issue then. Mine has it own mind and do what its want. The rain sensing does work,just the wiper speed is not consisted. Should I bring in the car and have it look at? I'm afraid something else might come up after a visit from the dealership lol.
For my LDW, it does not give me a warning like it does when there isn't rain. You probably right Rocketsfan. I totally didn't think the LDW uses the camera.

I saw the TSB for this,but it not for the 4cyl model. I just scheduled an appt with my dealer for next week. I guess I'll wait for what excuses they throw at me.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:46 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone point me to a link to the TSB? I have the 6-cylinder and also have problems with the automatic wipers that require more intervention than I would like? Thanks
Old 12-27-2016, 01:09 AM
Racer

Dang, I cant seem to find the link for that TSB. I found another link, Automatic Intermittent Wipers Don?t Work Properly ? 2014-2016 Acura Vehicles | oemdtc.com one explain what might be the cause.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:13 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have an issue with the wipers. They seem to have a mind of their own. I will have them on the lowest sensitivity and they will go full force. They other day after pulling out of the garage the window fogged up and the wipers went off and cleared it. No problem there but then they would keep going. No rain but they wouldn't stop until I turned them off. Yesterday on a bright sunny morning, they would go off just one swipe and then a few minutes later, another swipe and that kept going until I turned them off.

I did have the dealer look at them the other week when I was in for service. All they did was use a spray bottle on them to see if they go off and said they are functioning as normal.
I didnt have video proof then but I do now so next time I'm there I will show them whats going on.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:54 AM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
There is currently no TSB, but there is Acura Service News article B15080B - Automatic Intermittent Wipers Don’t Work Properly.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g.../#post15540244

Last edited by EE4Life; 12-27-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:59 AM
Racer

Yup, as long as it working when they tested it, then it is normal and functioning for them. I had to called American Acura/Honda to get my LKAS camera to change even though there is a TSB for it and I've brought in twice for it. I recorded this issue and was able to replicated it twice so I will wait and see what is their response this time ahahaha
Old 12-30-2016, 01:49 AM
Racer

So update to my situation...Brought it to the dealership, explained what happened, also mentioned my LKAS is acting up. My LKAS doesn't assist of turning the car when curving right, but its working perfectly curving left. So the tech came back and said because I have a dash cam mounted near the camera, it interfere with the windshield wiper. My LKAS is working correctly as it does NOT assist my turning, it ONLY alert me when I'm not in my lane.

Anyone know if the dash cam can affect the sensor? I told them this happened before I had the camera installed but they refused to look further.
I guess I have to contact American Honda/Acura and maybe Japanese Honda and see if this can get fix. Anyone have any tips? File complaint to BBB, call up news channel and stir some crap up???
Old 12-30-2016, 11:29 AM
Instructor

My LKAS is working correctly as it does NOT assist my turning, it ONLY alert me when I'm not in my lane.
LKAS Does assist in turning! Your technician is off base. LKAS stands for Lane Keeping Assist System. It attempts to steer the car into the center of the lane. Your Technician is probably thinking of the lane departure warning system, a totally different thing. Maybe your system is not properly sensing the right hand lane marker? I would have thought that the system would disable in that case--that is what happens for me. Anyway, TSB 15-027 - LKAS Does Not Keep Vehicle in Detected Lane might be something to look into.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:43 AM
Racer

TSB 15-027, I already got the sensor replaced due to taking longer than usual to recognize the lane marker, and sometimes it decided to switch lane on its own. Yup, it switched on its own, scared the crap out of me. After the replacement, now it does not help steering to the right but works pretty well steering to the left. Yes, my mechanic is an idiot and so does their manager. I tried to argued with them about it and they said I'm on crack.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:20 PM
Racer

weird, for some reasons I cannot edit my post...anyway, I just got off the phone with the Service director at my local dealer and even he said the LKAS does NOT assist in steering the car back to the center of the lane, and it only ALERT when the car is drifting off. Tried to explained to him its alert because I have the LDW system, and then my LKAS kick in and help steering back to the center of the lane. He kept referring to the manual and said it does not assist in steering. Anyone know if this is true in the manual book? I read to him from the spec sheet on Acura website, so he's either got tired of arguing with me or something, he said he'll make some phone calls and get more info.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:46 PM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
'15 Manual: This is how it works: (after 15 seconds it gives a visual light if it does not detect your hands on the wheel: It steers to keep you in the lane

Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)*
Provides steering input to help keep the vehicle in the middle of a detected lane and
provides audible and visual alerts if the vehicle is detected drifting out of its lane.

"If you make a lane change without operating the turn signals, the LKAS alerts
activate, and torque is applied to the steering"

The graphic in the manual does lump LDW and LKAS together versus RDM, but the graphic seems to be only referring to the display.

Last edited by jim256; 12-30-2016 at 01:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
noclue02 (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 02:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jim256
'15 Manual: This is how it works: (after 15 seconds it gives a visual light if it does not detect your hands on the wheel: It steers to keep you in the lane

Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)*
Provides steering input to help keep the vehicle in the middle of a detected lane and
provides audible and visual alerts if the vehicle is detected drifting out of its lane.

"If you make a lane change without operating the turn signals, the LKAS alerts
activate, and torque is applied to the steering"

The graphic in the manual does lump LDW and LKAS together versus RDM, but the graphic seems to be only referring to the display.
Yup, that's what I told them, but somehow they only think its give out alerts but not help steering. I really don't want to drive far to a different dealership. The two nearby are just bunch of blahhh. I'll get a hold of American Honda/Acura and see what they will do.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:40 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by noclue02
Yup, that's what I told them, but somehow they only think its give out alerts but not help steering. I really don't want to drive far to a different dealership. The two nearby are just bunch of blahhh. I'll get a hold of American Honda/Acura and see what they will do.
From the 2015's manual for LDW : If you cross a detected lane line without using the turn signal, a message appears in the MID and a beep sounds continuously.
From the 2015's manual for LKAS : If you cross a detected lane line without using your turn signal, a message appears on the MID and a beep sounds. Light steering torque is applied to keep your vehicle in the middle of the lane.

So ...
LDW = Lane Departure Warning only alerts by either beeping or vibrating the steering wheel
LKAS = Lane Keeping Assist System alerts and also nudges/steers the car to keep it within the boundary of the lane

For LKAS to work, it has to be turned on and, if it's turned on, "LKAS" will be displayed in the MID.
For both LDW and LKAS to work, you have to cross a lane marker WITHOUT using your turn signal.
Both only work when your speed is between 45-90 mph (72-145 km/h).
Also from the manual : Do not place an object on the top of the instrument panel. It may reflect onto the windshield and prevent the system from detecting lane lines properly. <-- Could your dashcam be interfering with this?
Old 01-02-2017, 05:19 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
The automatic wipers don't work very well at all. I tend to just use them in manual mode. Acura does not do electronic very well. At one time they were know for their advanced tech, that was in the past. Now they don't even know how their own tech is supposed to work. Their infotainment system, voice recognition system, is really poor.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:59 AM
Racer

Rocketsfan,
I read that to both the service adviser and service director of my dealer, they both still think LKAS is ONLY give warning and not help steering a bit.
I had the wiper issue even before the camera was install. I didn't think it would be a big deal, especially it barely rain until now. I placed the dash cam about 3-4inches to the left of the LKAS camera.The dash cam is flushed against the windshield, hidden under those black dots matrix. I don't see how is that reflect or interfere with the LKAS camera. Unless the LKAS system can pick up the lightest hint of other electronic devices within 1-2ft then I guess that would be an issue.

So he did called back and asked me to bring it back for another look. The problem now is after another trip in the rain, somehow my wiper and LKAS both working properly. My LKAS somehow worked better than before, even in the rain, which kinda shock me a bit. I don't know what they did, but for sure I cannot prove I have issue with my wiper and LKAS. sigh, I think my car does not like me lol
Old 01-03-2017, 03:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
So it seems to Acura that the problem is most often with the user and never with their own equipment. Now if Acura's own personnel does not know how stuff works, what chance does the user have besides the usual "normal behavior" response. Acura better get their shit together and improve on everything since they just keep on lining up strikes in my books.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:05 PM
Summer is Coming

Acura's first 'line of defense' is to tell the customer the car is operating normally or find some excuse to blame you for what the car is doing. Your dash cam is not interfering with the wipers... the wipers just suck and they have no way to make them work. For that you need to blame the engineer.
The following users liked this post:
pyrodan007 (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 10:15 AM
Racer

Not sure how to point out that Acura's engineer is just plain suck when my service advisers and their director are just bunch of idiot, who doesn't want to admit they're an idiot. Even though I read them the car's manual of what the damn thing supposed to do, yet they still arguing that they're right and I am wrong hahaha. Sad part is the problem is inconsistent, so it only happened when I'm driving. But when their tech test drive, it worked smoothly....
Old 01-04-2017, 11:24 AM
Instructor

Talking

Originally Posted by noclue02
Not sure how to point out that Acura's engineer is just plain suck when my service advisers and their director are just bunch of idiot, who doesn't want to admit they're an idiot. Even though I read them the car's manual of what the damn thing supposed to do, yet they still arguing that they're right and I am wrong hahaha. Sad part is the problem is inconsistent, so it only happened when I'm driving. But when their tech test drive, it worked smoothly....
So, then, even though the LKAS is not supposed to help steering it somehow sometimes does. Maybe you should change your complaint to these idiots and tell them that your car is trying to steer for you when it is not supposed to
Old 01-04-2017, 01:16 PM
Racer

hahaha maybe I should one day, and compare notes and see what they have to say
Old 01-04-2017, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Both items are on my checklist for the dealer to correct.

I also have a very inconsistent Lane departure warning. Some days very sensitive other days not so much.
I also just changed my camera settings and checked cross traffic monitor-on...but does this work only when in reverse???

another question regarding the wipers...
when remote start is activated and I push to start is there a way to stop the wipers from automatically turning on???
the wipers seem to know when rain is now in season.
if I'm parked in my garage the wipers go on automatically even if the the car is perfectly dry...this did not happen in the summer.
i have changed the settings on the stalk to off but the wipers still seem to go on with the remote start. .

Also so do the front and rear wipers both go on when in auto mode??? and what is the setting for just the fronts?

sorry for my stupidity but I drive this car infrequently and my wife has concluded it is possessed for the most part in a good sort of way so she wants the don't change anything setting but I'd still like to understand the logic of our first Acura.

Last edited by Himecraig; 01-04-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:08 AM
Racer

My LDW is the same. Sometime I changed lane without signal, the warning didnt show up until I'm 4/5 into the next lane. And there are time where I am no where near the line and it start beeping. I googled around, and some said it the program is bad, not because of sensor. I guess we're all screw.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by Himecraig
Both items are on my checklist for the dealer to correct.

I also have a very inconsistent Lane departure warning. Some days very sensitive other days not so much.
I also just changed my camera settings and checked cross traffic monitor-on...but does this work only when in reverse???

another question regarding the wipers...
when remote start is activated and I push to start is there a way to stop the wipers from automatically turning on???
the wipers seem to know when rain is now in season.
if I'm parked in my garage the wipers go on automatically even if the the car is perfectly dry...this did not happen in the summer.
i have changed the settings on the stalk to off but the wipers still seem to go on with the remote start. .

Also so do the front and rear wipers both go on when in auto mode??? and what is the setting for just the fronts?

sorry for my stupidity but I drive this car infrequently and my wife has concluded it is possessed for the most part in a good sort of way so she wants the don't change anything setting but I'd still like to understand the logic of our first Acura.
What car do you have? This is the TLX section... no rear wipers here.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:33 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
What car do you have? This is the TLX section... no rear wipers here.
opps sorry wrong section. 17 RDX advance pkg.
not used to the wipers doing a few swipes in auto mode only when starting and using the remote start.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:18 AM
Racer

just to update, maybe this will help those that have similar problem or not...After bunch of rain last week here in socal, I was able to recorded all the wiping actions. Brought it back in with 3 issues; wiper, lkas and chirping noises in the engine.

LKAS: No update on that yet, but they did asked me if their tech can drive the car home for testing...so that's a NO right there. Still have not gotten an update on that.
Wiper issue: took them 3 days to diagnosed, still cannot figure out why it is happening. So they ended up called Honda and they said to replace the rain sensor. Will see if this gonna fix it or not.
Chirping noise: I did mentioned to them about this and the TSB on high pressure fuel pump (something like that), and they kinda "ok ok" on it and never heard of it again.

Dont know when I'll be getting my car back, but will update when I get my car back, and the next time it rain in socal :0)
Old 02-06-2017, 09:27 AM
Racer

I got my car back with new rain sensor, some "works" done on the LKAS and none on the chirping noises.
So I got a chance to test out the rain sensor this morning, and of course, same issue. I give up on the rain wiper at this point.
I didn't drive anywhere far since I got the car back so don't know if the LKAS system got fix or not. Based on the tech notes, I don't see any fix at all beside mumble jumble about wheel angle, lane markers and craps.
Nothing is done on the chirping noises since they can't replicate the sound nor did I hear from it since that one night. I guess I'll bring it back when it happening more often.