9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 06:02 PM
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by nhester
I’m also noticing annoying behavior of the transmission (in my case, TLX V6-Tech; 4 months; ~2200 miles). Transmission problems (9AT) seem to be cropping up in disparate comments spread throughout Acurazine.

My TLX is on the “parking brake recall” list, but it appears the issues aren’t confined to just the parking brake! (I’ve never experienced a problem with “P” because I alway engage the emergency brake when parked!)

Here are just 2 of the annoyances I’m noticing that can be easily described and are reproducible:

(1) When proceeding slowly from parking garage, foot lightly on brake, I frequently experience a sudden acceleration when mildly letting up just a tad on the brake pedal! No foot on accelerator pedal.

(2) When coming to a stop (no matter how gently), I often experience momentary surges. When full stop is achieved, it is frequently associated by a last-minute attempt to lunge forward (slap on my back)!

There are other disconcerting lunges at various times while on the road, but the two (above) are the events that can be readily duplicated.
Both of these things just happened to my car today. When I started it the RPMs did some weird bouncing then when I got in to drive very hard 1-2 downshifts while stopping and when pulling out of my parking space at work a sharp jolt forward when I hadn't taken my foot off the brake yet. Not good. (this is in addition to the 2-3 upshift which is still hard). Anyone with this issue had it resolved yet? If so what was it?
Old 02-24-2015, 08:08 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by c2rsx
I had the software update done for the 9AT over at john eagle in houston while getting the transmission recall looked at. It seems to have resolved the hard shifting between 2-3. I never really had an issue with 1-2. Seems to have really smoothed out the shifting from a dead stop.
What is the work order for the software update, so I could tell my dealer?
Old 03-04-2015, 08:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't recall if Consumer Reports had commented on the transmission issue in the 9AT yet, but they have now. This is from the April 2015 Consumer Reports magazine, TLX profile: "The six cylinder engine is a gem, with plenty of refined power, but its nine-speed automatic transmission shifts roughly."
Old 03-05-2015, 05:38 AM
Racer

Dealer was unable to get the car to duplicate the awful behavior described above (only did it on the coldest mornings). They applied a TCM software update and the 1-2 and esp 2-3 upshifts are much smoother now. I still find myself bracing for the hard 2-3 but it isn't there anymore. Now fix my VCM vibrations and I'll be a happy man.
The following users liked this post:
Rocketsfan (03-08-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 05:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I hope the fix will last as well. It seems that some people have had some updates temporarly fix the problem only to resurface. I was SO HOPING that by this time, all transmission software related glitches would be solved but I guess not there yet....
Old 03-06-2015, 06:14 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Still waiting for the call from my service manager that the March "Silver Bullet" 9 AT software update is ready - supposed to come later this month according to him.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW, I had the same problem on my 2015 TLX SH-AWD. I described the problem to the dealer and they test drove it and felt the same problem. When I picked the car up they said they did some sort of "TCM Update" and then an "Idle Relearn". Now the car shifts 100 times better between 1st/2nd and 2nd/3rd. Granted, I've only driven it a few miles since the service call, so I'm hoping I don't run into the same issues described above with the fix only being temporary.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:09 AM
Racer

Yes they also did an idle relearn to my car (in case I didn't mention it). This update makes the car much nicer to drive as you don't need to worry about those tough shifts even though I still expect to feel them after living with them for 5k miles.
randomRon82 (03-08-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 10:37 AM
Suzuka Master

** Interesting rumor **

While watching one of my favorite car show in Canada (in French), one of the host for which I have lots of respect, was talking about the ZF unit and the Acura TLX. He said that Acura Canada has acknowledged to him that they are having issues with the 9 speed BUT and this is what is interesting, he says that Acura has indicated that this tranny is a temporary unit while they are developing their own unit - That should be interesting and curious if they are developing a DCT unit that could handle the power of the V6?!

I could post the link once the show becomes available online for those that speak french....
Old 03-08-2015, 11:03 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
** Interesting rumor **

While watching one of my favorite car show in Canada (in French), one of the host for which I have lots of respect, was talking about the ZF unit and the Acura TLX. He said that Acura Canada has acknowledged to him that they are having issues with the 9 speed BUT and this is what is interesting, he says that Acura has indicated that this tranny is a temporary unit while they are developing their own unit - That should be interesting and curious if they are developing a DCT unit that could handle the power of the V6?!

I could post the link once the show becomes available online for those that speak french....
The RLX Sport Hybrid puts out over 300 HP and uses a Honda developed 7 sp DCT - this may be a likely candidate for the TLX V6.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by jeich182
Yes they also did an idle relearn to my car (in case I didn't mention it). This update makes the car much nicer to drive as you don't need to worry about those tough shifts even though I still expect to feel them after living with them for 5k miles.
Interesting! I'm taking mine in tomorrow to have the driver's side puddle light replaced since it went out already... while I'm there they're going to check and see if the TCM update is available for mine... I hope that it is and that it works.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
The RLX Sport Hybrid puts out over 300 HP and uses a Honda developed 7 sp DCT - this may be a likely candidate for the TLX V6.
I doubt they would let the ILX have an 8 DCT and put a 7 DCT in their TLX/RLX. I suspect they are working on a 9 speed DCT for their RLX/TLX and that the 7 DCT was the test bed for the 8 speed....

I could be wrong but imagine if I got this FORECAST right though?!? *lol*
Old 03-08-2015, 03:01 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
The thinking on vtec.net is that a detuned version of the NSX's new V6 would replace the J series V6; so possibly the 9-speed DCT would also replace the ZF.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by accord1999
The thinking on vtec.net is that a detuned version of the NSX's new V6 would replace the J series V6; so possibly the 9-speed DCT would also replace the ZF.
The 9 speed dct would never fit in a fwd transverse configuration.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:25 AM
Racer

The folks on TOV are smarter than that. Maybe you're thinking of the S2000 replacement which they said is rumored to have a detuned version of the engine originally developed for the NSX (before they switched to a longitudinal layout halfway through the development) and the 7DCT from the RLX.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:09 AM
Burning Brakes

I just had the TCM update for my transmission....WOW.... what a difference... of course I've only driven it a few miles... we shall see if this lasts.
bbast07 (03-09-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 08:34 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by randomRon82
I just had the TCM update for my transmission....WOW.... what a difference... of course I've only driven it a few miles... we shall see if this lasts.
Ron, can you describe what you felt is different? I'm hoping whatever they do to my car helps the early clunky shifts, but doesn't wreck anything else. It's gotten to the point that's about the only thing that annoys me about this car..... I think. lol.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Ron, can you describe what you felt is different? I'm hoping whatever they do to my car helps the early clunky shifts, but doesn't wreck anything else. It's gotten to the point that's about the only thing that annoys me about this car..... I think. lol.
Well.... it was a good "different" at first... the harsh jerks during acceleration were completely smoothed out... however the update has now caused another issue with extreme jerkiness when coming to a stop and then revving issues... see posts 16 and 17 on this thread for more info: https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...s-stop-925132/

I'm going to take it back in yet again for this idle relearn that Rick describes.
The following 2 users liked this post by randomRon82:
Davinci547Acura (03-11-2015), Rocketsfan (03-10-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 06:22 AM
Advanced

FYI. My service manager got back to me yesterday, and reconfirmed that there is a software update coming for the 9AT specifically to smooth everything out, but it is NOT available yet.

He said that he called tech services last Friday to try to get an ETA (as he has several other customers waiting on this), and they acknowledged it's coming but no ETA yet.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:42 AM
Racer

You should call your service dept. and tell them to stop jerking you around. The update is available (as you can see above).
Old 03-10-2015, 12:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jeich182
You should call your service dept. and tell them to stop jerking you around. The update is available (as you can see above).
LOL sometimes these updates are available at certain dealerships before others.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:24 PM
Advanced

Sorry, I haven't looked for a couple of days.

As evidenced by comments in other threads, the transmission update that everyone's referring to is the same one my dealer did on my car in February. It cured the 1-2 shift beautifully, and helped the 2-3, but did not take the bump away under anything but a very slow start.

The update that my dealer (which is fantastic by the way) is referring to is one that is supposed to take care of multiple problems including the 2-3 shift. This update has also been referenced by other members in various threads as coming in mid to late March.

FYI
Old 03-12-2015, 10:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
As I read many forum topics, particularly this one, unless our cars are wildy different, one man's bumpy shift is another man's (or woman's) smooth shift. The update obviously helps, but perhaps a 9 speed auto tranny will never be perfectly smooth for all shifts. If the 1-2 and 2-3 are closer to the other 6 shifts when I get my update, I will be a happy camper.

In reality, car forum issues are like medical symptoms…the more you read, the more serious they become. IMVHO of course.
bbast07 (03-13-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 08:43 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
They were done with my recall and a couple of other things before I could ask them about the software update for the transmission, so all I got was that the hard shifts, sometimes bouncing when coming to a park (for which at least I can use the parking brake and not have to experience) were "as intended". lol. They should choose their words more carefully. "We wanted that sucker to bounce and those shifts to be hard!" Oh well, hopefully the rumored major update will help on the hard shift front -- I'm just glad to have the car back.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

It would appear that Acura Canada has yet to come out with the software fix yet, not surprising. My Service Manager, who is a fabulous person and Service Manager, told me today that he took one home for a few days, rather than just driving a customer's car. He was able to drive it harder, and was certainly disappointed by the 2 hard shifts particularly when launching a faster. It's reassuring to know that he gets it, but now we wait. Because I don't typically launch, but accelerate smoothly, its often barely noticeable for me….although I look forward to the fix.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:16 AM
Advanced

Mapleloaf, I totally agree that, since the Feb update, the 2-3 problem doesn't happen under very mild acceleration. Unfortunately, I live in an area (far west Chicago burb) where the prevailing speed limit is 50 MPH with lots of stop lights - that means a normal pull away is 15 - 20% throttle, and the bump is REALLY noticeable at that level.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE this car! I'm just hoping they can fix this "glitch" so that part is as perfect as everything else.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bbast07
Mapleloaf, I totally agree that, since the Feb update, the 2-3 problem doesn't happen under very mild acceleration. Unfortunately, I live in an area (far west Chicago burb) where the prevailing speed limit is 50 MPH with lots of stop lights - that means a normal pull away is 15 - 20% throttle, and the bump is REALLY noticeable at that level.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE this car! I'm just hoping they can fix this "glitch" so that part is as perfect as everything else.
You and me both! I remain optimistic and happy with my decision to get the TLX.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:50 AM
Racer

UPDATE: So after a few weeks my TLX seems to be forgetting some of what it learned. The 2-3 shift is harder than it was after the update but its inconsistent, it's harder under light throttle, smoother under heavy throttle, and the pronounced downshifts as you approach a full stop are back. Ugh this car...
Old 03-19-2015, 09:46 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
TCM Update

My V6-AWD Tech is at Rosenthal Acura right now having the tranny recall done and also the TCM update. Until reading this forum, I had no idea that the TCM software update also fixes the shifting issues. It is being advertised as only a TCM fix. Apparently, the source disk with the software update got damaged and the dealership had to order another. So I'm in a loaner until Friday (2 days).

Does anyone know if there was a TSB for the TCM update? I'd be curious to see if Acura is telling their dealerships that the update also fixes the transmission issues. If you have a link to the TSB, that would be great.
9SpeedTran (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 09:58 AM
Advanced

Update...

I was able to find TSB 14-054 in the TSB thread. Here is a link:

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B14-054.PDF

I didn't see anything advertised there either about fixing the tranny issues. Did someone read this step in the TSB and interpret as fixing the tranny shifting issues?

"Reset the PCM using HDS and do the idle learn procedure"

I just think it is interesting that the TSB, update letter or the dealership didn't say anything about this update fixing the transmission issues.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:28 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Update: So after a month 1200 miles since my last post at 8 miles, the jerks while slowing down and stopping are gone. First to second shift is smooth, but 2nd to 3rd is hard and it occurs at any kind of acceleration. It's like its a normal function. At times, its disappointing when you have friends who drive other brands and they sit in my car and even they feel it. Come on Acura, don't let us down !!!
Old 03-19-2015, 02:54 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by acford
My V6-AWD Tech is at Rosenthal Acura right now having the tranny recall done and also the TCM update. Until reading this forum, I had no idea that the TCM software update also fixes the shifting issues. It is being advertised as only a TCM fix. Apparently, the source disk with the software update got damaged and the dealership had to order another. So I'm in a loaner until Friday (2 days).

Does anyone know if there was a TSB for the TCM update? I'd be curious to see if Acura is telling their dealerships that the update also fixes the transmission issues. If you have a link to the TSB, that would be great.
I use RA as well, I have been getting a sensor replaced the last couple days... I did also have them note the rough shifts and the surging when downshifting... I will be interested to hear what your experience is with the TCM update. For me the rough shifts are subtle enough that I can live with it but it would be great if they were smooth as the rest of the gears.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
I use RA as well, I have been getting a sensor replaced the last couple days... I did also have them note the rough shifts and the surging when downshifting... I will be interested to hear what your experience is with the TCM update. For me the rough shifts are subtle enough that I can live with it but it would be great if they were smooth as the rest of the gears.
I got Rome Williams as my tech advisor this time. Who did you get? I will let you know how it goes with the update. My biggest complaint at this point is not the hard shifts. I too can live with that. I'm more concerned about the delay of downshifting when putting the pedal to the floor while getting on the highway, etc. major lag!
Old 03-19-2015, 06:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I dont know if it has been posted before but i found this pretty good article about the way the 9spd tranny behaves and why it does what it does

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/02/zfs-9-speed-9hp-transmission-puts-dog-clutches-on-the-leash/
Old 03-19-2015, 06:38 PM
Advanced

All, I posted this information earlier, but there is a software update coming to fix the 2-3 hard shift - supposedly late this month according to a reliable contact at Acura that I've made through my business, and confirmed by my local service manager who has put me on a call list.

The update that people have been getting lately sounds like the one I got in late Jan. It totally fixed the 1-2 shift beautifully, but the 2-3 bump came back quickly.

Based on people I know who have driven the 2016 MDX which has the same tranny say it is smooth as silk through all shifts.

We can all only hope.

It would be interesting, however, to find out if member who have TLX's built in February or March are experiencing the rough shift we are talking about.

My V6 Adv was built in Oct / 14
Old 03-20-2015, 05:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by rick2203
I dont know if it has been posted before but i found this pretty good article about the way the 9spd tranny behaves and why it does what it does

ZF's 9-Speed 9HP Transmission Puts Dog Clutches On The Leash - The Truth About Cars
Old news to many of us, but a very interesting read, though. Unfortunately the 1-2, 2-3, and opposite downshifts do not involve any dog clutches so it's no explanation for the issues we're seeing.

Further update: there's a definite hesitation that has developed shifting 2-3, it takes a full "Mississippi" almost like its slipping or power is cut in advance of the shift.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:52 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by bbast07
All, I posted this information earlier, but there is a software update coming to fix the 2-3 hard shift - supposedly late this month according to a reliable contact at Acura that I've made through my business, and confirmed by my local service manager who has put me on a call list.

The update that people have been getting lately sounds like the one I got in late Jan. It totally fixed the 1-2 shift beautifully, but the 2-3 bump came back quickly.

Based on people I know who have driven the 2016 MDX which has the same tranny say it is smooth as silk through all shifts.

We can all only hope.

It would be interesting, however, to find out if member who have TLX's built in February or March are experiencing the rough shift we are talking about.

My V6 Adv was built in Oct / 14
I hope you're right. The update sounds like what's happened to mine. 1-2 is perfect now, 2-3 WAS fixed but now it's both hard and delayed
Old 03-20-2015, 12:57 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by acford
I got Rome Williams as my tech advisor this time. Who did you get? I will let you know how it goes with the update. My biggest complaint at this point is not the hard shifts. I too can live with that. I'm more concerned about the delay of downshifting when putting the pedal to the floor while getting on the highway, etc. major lag!
I got Rob. I had a bad rear wheel speed sensor that was causing some seriously freaky behavior, not the least of which was "sensors gone wild" (check out the thread). Rob is great, very experienced and knowledgeable (and he is married to Tina, my service person).
Old 03-23-2015, 10:20 AM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Took the car in for its first oil change and had them do an update on the car. 1st to 2nd shifts beautifully, 2nd to 3rd not any better. Hopefully they come with that update soon.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I picked up my 2015-build TLX V6 SH-AWD on March 20th and right away experienced the following issues:

1. When in idle, engine reving to 2-3K RPM's on it's own
2. When speeding up, hard 1-2 and 2-3 gears
3. When breaking, the jerking feeling as if someone hit you from behind at 5 km/hr
4. Engine Idle did not work (even though it was enabled on panel and in vehicle settings)

Took the car back to the dealer and the shop manager immediately knew what the issue was and said the car had to "relearn" how to shift gears properly. It has only been 3 days since this fix was applied but after 200 kms of highway and city driving, the car drives significantly smoother (other than the normal feeling of gear changes), no hard jerks and the engine idle feature works great (engages when braking hard, doesn't when braking softly)

I hope unlike someone else here in this thread the issues don't come back for me....if they do, I will keep you posted.
The following 3 users liked this post by bailey24:
ITdude (03-25-2015), mapleloaf (03-25-2015), Rocketsfan (03-25-2015)

Quick Reply: 9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3