8sp DCT Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 10:07 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jeremyw
I was suspicious after twice being told by my Acura dealer that it would be better after TCM software updates and a few days later experiencing the same rough shifting problems again. However, I can confidently say that the recent update (02/02/2015) will make a real difference. Give it a try if you have not.
I read your previous post and realized you did have the software update released on 02/02/2015. My apology. My car has been "well-behaved" after one week of driving. But the weather has been very nice lately in my area and temperature is in the 50s.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Finally I am more than a little concerned....

It took 4,850 miles for my TLX Tech with the 8spd DCT to really scare the crap out of me today. I have had the typical issues everyone has posted about since mid-late fall. I have had no transmission updates at all. However, the car started to improve which I even posted on this forum until I took it to the dealership in Jan for the Nav/radio software upgrade and the Cross traffic alert TSB. The dealership performed the idle learn procedure which sent me back to square one. I informed them in the service dept and even the GM as to what I was experiencing. But after "some" improvement again... the car did something that is going to alter the way I have to drive it when it is cold until there is a fix. Today, I was turning left out of my subdivision (cold engine) on to a normally highly travelled road with temps in high single digits and the car could not engage second gear to complete the turn. The engined revved to 4500 rpm but I was stuck in the intersection doing 10 mph. Finally after much revving and hunting which lasted 3-4 secs (felt like an hour) it found a gear and pulled me through the turn. I am very grateful it was a quiet Saturday morning and not a weekday morning!!
The following 2 users liked this post by jik1001:
Cmyoung (03-03-2015), Coronado111 (03-01-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 09:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ This would be a scary moment for sure! I am so curious to see what the 2016 ILX owners will report with the same 8 DCT tranny. There are several reports of transmission issues and I am hoping Acura will find a solution to these because it may limit the success of their recent designs launch....
Old 03-01-2015, 09:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Cold weather = large clunks back

Good news and bad news.

I've been waiting for cold weather to return to denver to put this latest software update to the test. Good news = overall shifting seems to be ok. A little funky when it's first cold and through the gears but I think this is how the car will be in general. Loaners have all had the same jerkiness right as you start and it fades quickly. Also seems to not be damaging anything.

Bad news = the massive heavy thunk and 3-4 second delay the transmission goes through from r to d is back in full force. This not only seems like it's damaging things, but makes me not want to drive it. It's back in shop. They have no fix, probably just waiting for the next software, but I wont drive it as this is so violent there is no way doing this daily isn't damaging things permanently.

Seems like 30 degrees is about the magic number.

Have a strong feeling this car will be going down the lemon law path. Very disappointed.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jik1001
It took 4,850 miles for my TLX Tech with the 8spd DCT to really scare the crap out of me today. I have had the typical issues everyone has posted about since mid-late fall. I have had no transmission updates at all. However, the car started to improve which I even posted on this forum until I took it to the dealership in Jan for the Nav/radio software upgrade and the Cross traffic alert TSB. The dealership performed the idle learn procedure which sent me back to square one. I informed them in the service dept and even the GM as to what I was experiencing. But after "some" improvement again... the car did something that is going to alter the way I have to drive it when it is cold until there is a fix. Today, I was turning left out of my subdivision (cold engine) on to a normally highly travelled road with temps in high single digits and the car could not engage second gear to complete the turn. The engined revved to 4500 rpm but I was stuck in the intersection doing 10 mph. Finally after much revving and hunting which lasted 3-4 secs (felt like an hour) it found a gear and pulled me through the turn. I am very grateful it was a quiet Saturday morning and not a weekday morning!!

I had a similar hesitation about a month ago about 1 minute after starting the engine. It has not happened again. When it is cold (40 or so) I drive in Sport mode for the first few miles and then change to Normal. I don't know if that helps but no issues using this method.

It is an awful feeing to give the TLX gas and have no acceleration for a few seconds. I also was entering an intersection - luckily no issue with other cars approaching.

I will request the latest software when I get the oil changed.

Don

Last edited by Coronado111; 03-01-2015 at 12:06 PM. Reason: correction
Old 03-01-2015, 12:38 PM
RLTW!!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrior 6
Update: 2/8/15: Car at Nalley Service since 2/5/15, Service Manager states they are working with Tech Line to resolve the issue, shooting for pickup on Wednesday of this coming week. Personally, think they are blowing smoke and walking circles, and ACURA has no clue how to remedy this issue. The company should be ashamed of themselves for selling a car that was not through the entire Easy Bake Oven process.....as stated earlier, will endure these required steps of resolution to four trips to fix, and if they cannot have secured a lawyer and we will be exercising the Lemon Law of the State of Georgia and ACURA can have this awful car back. Will let you know what develops, driving a 3.5 with 9spd trans, and it also shifts horribly. Just Damn!!
Update: 3/1/15: Received car back after 17 days in the shop, newest TCM s/w update applied followed by break-in mode performed twice. followed by new idle learn procedures. Appears that the R to D issues are addressed along with the slushiness of shifting while driving. Temperatures have been quite cold with lows in the upper 20's and an snow/ice storm last week in the Atlanta metroplex. Very pleased thus far, only nagging issue not related to the transmission is the vibration in the rear deck or headliner when playing the ELS with significant bass. My service adviser told me that ACURA is working on a fix and should have that out by March 2015. Will provide another update in a couple of weeks.
The following 5 users liked this post by Warrior 6:
accord1999 (03-01-2015), bbarber718 (03-02-2015), jim256 (03-01-2015), Tjb117 (03-01-2015), tlxsteve (03-01-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 01:40 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Update: 3/1/15: Received car back after 17 days in the shop, newest TCM s/w update applied followed by break-in mode performed twice. followed by new idle learn procedures. Appears that the R to D issues are addressed along with the slushiness of shifting while driving. Temperatures have been quite cold with lows in the upper 20's and an snow/ice storm last week in the Atlanta metroplex. Very pleased thus far, only nagging issue not related to the transmission is the vibration in the rear deck or headliner when playing the ELS with significant bass. My service adviser told me that ACURA is working on a fix and should have that out by March 2015. Will provide another update in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for the update. I hope the problems are resolved for good :-)

I've ordered a TLX for delivery later in March (dealer didn't have the color combo I wanted) and hope that Acura is updating the software in their later production runs before cars are given to customers.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Made it to 8,500 miles and I am still waiting for transmission issues. Haven't seen them and hope not to.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tlxsteve
Made it to 8,500 miles and I am still waiting for transmission issues. Haven't seen them and hope not to.
Good for you. But I still think your "good luck" is related to the warm weather in south Florida where you live and drive your TLX.
The following users liked this post:
tlxsteve (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 09:03 AM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Not that warm here in NC -- 11 a few days ago, mostly 30 in the morning, also no issues except a little R - D delay on first shift.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:18 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry

I heard about this but not encountered this situation for the past 6 months of ownership until last Friday. I was at the intersection and tried to make a right turn (on red, and the incoming traffic is about 10s or so away), I press the Accelerate paddle but the car didn't move!!! The engine was rev to 4500-5000 rpm and the car was not MOVE!!! The incoming traffic was driving toward me at 40MPH, this scare the ***** out of me! The power loss last about 5s and it did feels like a whole year for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by xiaosongz:
Cmyoung (03-03-2015), jeremyw (03-03-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 10:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaosongz
I heard about this but not encountered this situation for the past 6 months of ownership until last Friday. I was at the intersection and tried to make a right turn (on red, and the incoming traffic is about 10s or so away), I press the Accelerate paddle but the car didn't move!!! The engine was rev to 4500-5000 rpm and the car was not MOVE!!! The incoming traffic was driving toward me at 40MPH, this scare the ***** out of me! The power loss last about 5s and it did feels like a whole year for me.
I actually experienced this exact problem, ironically not in my car, but in the loaner TLX I was driving while my car was in the shop. It is absolutely unnerving. If you have not taken your car in to get the latest TCM updates, I would do so as soon as possible. Bad shift quality is one thing, but loss of acceleration in an intersection is an extremely unsafe condition. All it will take is one or two collisions when this happens, and Acura will be dealing with multi-million dollar lawsuits.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:09 PM
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by tlxsteve

"Still waiting for transmission issues". Better watch what you ask for my good buddy. Stories I can tell you, all software updates done and everything documented, the sage continues and the thrill has faded.

Last edited by Davinci547Acura; 03-02-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Davinci547Acura
"Still waiting for transmission issues". Better watch what you ask for my good buddy. Stories I can tell you, all software updates done and everything documented, the sage continues and the thrill has faded.
I wish I had my 2004 TL transmission in my 2015 TLX. I would be very happy. It is unusual I have received no surveys from Acura.

I will rate A+ on all items except an F for transmission.

Don
Old 03-03-2015, 05:20 PM
Instructor

I thought that my TLX's transmission problems were "cured" after the TCM update released on 02/02/15 as most of the problems seemed to be gone. Well, one of the problems re-emerged again this past weekend. I did a hard brake from 35 mph and the transmission lurched and clunked again right before the complete stop.

Someone (probably Weather ) asked if this were a software problem, then every TLX from the same factory should experience the same problems. Now, I think this may not be the case. Sometimes, software problems/bugs are the hardest to hunt and cure compared to mechanical problems. It can be very difficult to replicate the exact scenario when the problems can happen as there are thousands of parameter inputs. I am making excuses for Acura/Honda. Instead, I think they need to invest more in engineering and innovation.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:08 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
I thought that my TLX's transmission problems were "cured" after the TCM update released on 02/02/15 as most of the problems seemed to be gone. Well, one of the problems re-emerged again this past weekend. I did a hard brake from 35 mph and the transmission lurched and clunked again right before the complete stop.

Someone (probably Weather ) asked if this were a software problem, then every TLX from the same factory should experience the same problems. Now, I think this may not be the case. Sometimes, software problems/bugs are the hardest to hunt and cure compared to mechanical problems. It can be very difficult to replicate the exact scenario when the problems can happen as there are thousands of parameter inputs. I am making excuses for Acura/Honda. Instead, I think they need to invest more in engineering and innovation.
Doesn't the TCM software "learn" from the drivers behaviour? I suspect that's where the bugs reside and why it's not consistent. In other words - it's buggy software that only shows up under certain driving conditions. Tricky indeed.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:03 PM
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Has anyone heard further information from either Acura Client Relations or their Service Department about the rumored next software update? I got the TCM software update that was released on 2/2 along with the break line procedure to re-learn the shift points. Overall, I think it helped a bit with the R>D hesitation and some other small gripes I had.

But since the update, the transmission shifting in lower gears has been worse than before the update. Now, the car quickly shifts through the first couple gears but it is not smooth at all, giving a shaking/lunging feedback. I am still experiencing the issue where you are slowing down to a full stop and the transmission will downshift to 1st and lunge the entire car forward, feeling like you got rear ended by another car. And one of the most annoying issues still remaining is the significant delay in throttle response after coasting where the car is confused about how to shift.

I'm getting tired of being a beta tester for the transmission software of a $35k luxury vehicle. Maybe its my fault for buying a brand new model, but come on... I think its unacceptable for them to release cars that don't perform their most basic function: driving and shifting smooth. Sorry to vent... just getting frustrated with the car and how Acura/Honda is handling this. Hopefully someone has heard about upcoming updates that will address all these ongoing transmission problems...
Old 03-04-2015, 08:01 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is really disappointing to hear. I had spoken to my service advisor yesterday, and he mentioned he was aware of the issue and said something about a memo they received.

I'm supposed to go in tomorrow, but I'm assuming its for the 02/02 fix that a lot of others have already had. Seeing as how it's been hit or miss, now I'm leaning towards not having it done and waiting to see if they release another one instead. I have the issues, but they're sporadic and don't seem as intense as others have reported, so now I'm hesitant that this update might make things worse.

I'm going to call him later today and see what their plan is.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:07 AM
15 TLX Tech

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bbarber718
Has anyone heard further information from either Acura Client Relations or their Service Department about the rumored next software update? I got the TCM software update that was released on 2/2 along with the break line procedure to re-learn the shift points. Overall, I think it helped a bit with the R>D hesitation and some other small gripes I had.

But since the update, the transmission shifting in lower gears has been worse than before the update. Now, the car quickly shifts through the first couple gears but it is not smooth at all, giving a shaking/lunging feedback. I am still experiencing the issue where you are slowing down to a full stop and the transmission will downshift to 1st and lunge the entire car forward, feeling like you got rear ended by another car. And one of the most annoying issues still remaining is the significant delay in throttle response after coasting where the car is confused about how to shift.

I'm getting tired of being a beta tester for the transmission software of a $35k luxury vehicle. Maybe its my fault for buying a brand new model, but come on... I think its unacceptable for them to release cars that don't perform their most basic function: driving and shifting smooth. Sorry to vent... just getting frustrated with the car and how Acura/Honda is handling this. Hopefully someone has heard about upcoming updates that will address all these ongoing transmission problems...

I spoke to Client Relations a couple times and they got back to me last week stating that the engineers had just released a new update for the harsh downshifting. They said it would be available via the tech line, meaning the dealer would need to contact them in order to have the update preformed. I made an appointment with my service advisor for next week. I'm eager to see if this update shows improvement
jeremyw (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 07:58 PM
RLTW!!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Update: 3/4/15: Well so much for a proper fix.

Just as jeremyw wrote:
"I thought that my TLX's transmission problems were "cured" after the TCM update released on 02/02/15 as most of the problems seemed to be gone. Well, one of the problems re-emerged again this past weekend. I did a hard brake from 35 mph and the transmission lurched and clunked again right before the complete stop. "

This exact issue above occurred on the commute home tonight, plus after the car sat all day in the cold on Monday, the shifting gremlin from R to D re-surfaced. Just Damn!!

As other AcuraZiner's have commented that they are tired of being a beta tester for a 35k plus luxury automobile, I am in that camp. Only positive in this is that my dealership and service adviser are engaged, and willing to do what is takes to get it right. This will be the 3rd trip to remedy this issue, past weary to be honest. Calling the dealership tomorrow, will post update when appropriate. Not pleased, not happy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Warrior 6:
Davinci547Acura (03-05-2015), JonB (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 09:06 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Similar Experience

I am now living the same aggravating journey down TLX drive. My February 2nd "patch", which worked okay at first now appears to be fading. The hard shift from "R" to "D" returned, as does the lunge forward. The lunge will only happen at very low speeds if I am breaking a little harder than normal - around 5 mph. It hasn't happened at a full stop - yet. It is not constant. Sometimes its not there and sometimes it shows up. And the shifting at low gears is getting clunky again. It's not as bad as it was before the February 2nd patch, but it sure feels like it's headed that way.

We are not alone folks. Someone has filed a lawsuit against Honda for this very issue. See here:

Honda Faces Class Action Over Acura TLX Transmission Defect

I am waiting for Acura to set up a time for me to come in with the vehicle so they can experience it for themselves. Anyway I thought I heard that they were coming out with another patch soon. I am beginning to wonder what good it will do since the other patches seem to not work or only seem to be temporary.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:43 AM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
Wow, seems to be way to many problems here with the TLX, I'm glad I got my 2015 Accord V6, may be only 6 gears but they are smooth as my grandson's baby behind.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I hear ya. That is the single thing holding me back from getting the TLX. I would like to wait until next spring and see if a sexier sportier TLX will come out and I think it will but I just have the itch to get a new car. It looks like I'll be a Lexus owner afterall...
Old 03-05-2015, 05:36 PM
Intermediate

UPDATE:

I brought my car into the dealership this past Monday and heard back from them today. While talking with their service rep on-site he received a call from engineering that a new update was released so they will be applying that to my car tomorrow through their tech support contact. Fingers crossed
Old 03-05-2015, 06:42 PM
Intermediate

UPDATE:

I brought my car into the dealership this past Monday and heard back from them today. While talking with their service rep on-site he received a call from engineering that a new update was released so they will be applying that to my car tomorrow through their tech support contact. Fingers crossed

keep us posted. mine is there now, I refuse to go get it and drive it after I had the same shift to neutral thing happen to me last week for the 3rd time since September. Too frickin scary to point I wont let my daughter ride in the car. Like to get a confirmation on part number and release of the new update when you get your paper work back. Thanks for informing.
Warrior 6 (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 09:21 PM
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by colohusker
keep us posted. mine is there now, I refuse to go get it and drive it after I had the same shift to neutral thing happen to me last week for the 3rd time since September. Too frickin scary to point I wont let my daughter ride in the car. Like to get a confirmation on part number and release of the new update when you get your paper work back. Thanks for informing.
I'd like to mention that this issue happened to me on my test drive of the I4 TLX on Sept 2 last year on a warm day with engine warmed up, and I posted about it here :
https://acurazine.com/forums/problems-fixes-420/2015-tlx-i4-transmission-issue-jumps-into-neutral-920706/

The salesman was a bit unnerved as well. Obviously, I didn't buy a TLX because this is unacceptable behavior; however, I've monitored these forums every day since just waiting to see what happens. Never had a car I was driving almost cause an accident before so my personal interest was piqued, especially as I'm a mechanical engineer. In fact, I've never thought so much about a car in my entire life, wondering what will transpire in the end. Nasty situation.

To all the folks posting that their I4 TLX is perfect, I sure hope it remains that way for you. If the other shoe drops I hope nothing bad subsequently happens, because it is scary when it does and there is NO warning.
Warrior 6 (03-05-2015)
Old 03-06-2015, 08:15 AM
15 TLX Tech

UPDATE:

This is the update the Client Relations informed me about last week. I'm not able to get mine to the dealer until 3/17. Keep us posted on how this update works out!
Old 03-10-2015, 07:43 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does unplugging the 10a backup fuse erase any ecu/pcm software updates?
Old 03-12-2015, 09:59 PM
Connected

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ This would be a scary moment for sure! I am so curious to see what the 2016 ILX owners will report with the same 8 DCT tranny. There are several reports of transmission issues and I am hoping Acura will find a solution to these because it may limit the success of their recent designs launch....
I am having these EXACT same issues with my 2016 ILX Premium purchased last week. First time it lurched into 1st gear as I was coming to a stop, I thought I'd been hit from behind. It was THAT hard. Ugh...
Old 03-13-2015, 08:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SENATOR
I am having these EXACT same issues with my 2016 ILX Premium purchased last week. First time it lurched into 1st gear as I was coming to a stop, I thought I'd been hit from behind. It was THAT hard. Ugh...
Well I guess that answers that question. I was wondering if they resolved these issues with the 2016 ILX, since they have had some time now to figure out the bugs. Apparently these traits are inherent to this DCT transmission. I'm really surprised they doubled down by putting it in another model if they are still having issues with it.

Has anyone with the late February update had better success with their transmission?
Old 03-13-2015, 08:56 AM

Only took one week, eh?

Curious - what were the particulars of your situation when it happened? The two times it's happened to me (I've had my TLX for just over 6 months) the car was cold (maybe running for a minute or two) and the temps were below freezing.

I find this perplexing - clearly Acura is having a hard time fine-tuning the firmware and don't consider this to be a show-stopper.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:55 AM
15 TLX Tech

Originally Posted by NRS78
Well I guess that answers that question. I was wondering if they resolved these issues with the 2016 ILX, since they have had some time now to figure out the bugs. Apparently these traits are inherent to this DCT transmission. I'm really surprised they doubled down by putting it in another model if they are still having issues with it.

Has anyone with the late February update had better success with their transmission?
I'll be getting late February update next week. I'll report back on the results. I had the December update and it marginally helped the hard downshift to 1st when stopping. But my up and downshifts for the first 3 gears is getting rougher as time goes.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:28 PM
Intermediate

Pretty much the worst thing I've done is contact Acura corporate for help recently. They have shut my dealer down from helping me and now all I get is this quote over and over "Acura is aware of the issue but there is no fix available at this time. Our engineers believe the car is not dangerous and is operating characteristically of other similar cars. We have no other comments or options for you at this time."

If that isn't a contradictory, bulls#$@t response I don't know what is. I think the recent lawsuit has altered the whole tone of this.

Who knows how long we'll all have to own these cars with crap transmissions, but maybe if the ILX board lights up with the same, it will push things forward quicker. 7 months of owning a new malfunctioning car is getting really old.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:45 PM
Intermediate

UPDATE:

My car was returned to me on Monday evening, 3/9 and cautiously I report that so far things are much, much better. It has gotten warmer here in the Midwest highs in 50's and 60's with morning lows in the upper 20's to low 30's but the cold shift has definitely improved. When the car is cold in the morning, it feels as if the transmission does not try to shift as fast anymore acting more like a smoother conventional auto (slush box) transmission but as soon as the car warms up it starts firing off lightening fast shifts. The reverse to drive on mine was never clunky but it felt like there was a good 3 second delay which now I estimate has been cut in half. If it stays like this I would not have any problems with this transmission. I will report back in a week as the high temperatures are supposed drop back into the 40's early next week.
jim256 (03-14-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 07:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Pretty much the worst thing I've done is contact Acura corporate for help recently. They have shut my dealer down from helping me and now all I get is this quote over and over "Acura is aware of the issue but there is no fix available at this time. Our engineers believe the car is not dangerous and is operating characteristically of other similar cars. We have no other comments or options for you at this time."

If that isn't a contradictory, bulls#$@t response I don't know what is. I think the recent lawsuit has altered the whole tone of this.
I am going out a limb here and who knows if I would have acted any different were I in your place. But thankfully I am not. Difficult customers who push to the limit and leave little room for the negotiation/resolution tend to get shut down and their reputation gets passed around. Based on your posting and implied interaction with Acura corporate and your dealer, I am not surprised about their actions and their response is entirely logical.

Realistically how would you expect them to act when a law suit is filed, and do you really believe that they have a rock solid fix but are purposely holding it back from you?
Old 03-13-2015, 08:03 PM

"Acura is aware of the issue but there is no fix available at this time. Our engineers believe the car is not dangerous and is operating characteristically of other similar cars. We have no other comments or options for you at this time."
Isn't this the first DCT with a torque converter? Wasn't that supposed to smooth things out? Wouldn't one logically expect this car to behave better and couldn't one make that case that there are no similar cars?
Old 03-13-2015, 09:15 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Isn't this the first DCT with a torque converter? Wasn't that supposed to smooth things out? Wouldn't one logically expect this car to behave better and couldn't one make that case that there are no similar cars?
The brochure states that the DCT is the world's first with a torque converter, and that it operates smoother. So it is extremely bogus to now say all DCTs are rough.

I have been out looking at other cars, and I can't find anything that I like more than the TLX. Hopefully the DCT and the ugly wheels on the 4 will be better for 2016.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Quandry
I am going out a limb here and who knows if I would have acted any different were I in your place. But thankfully I am not. Difficult customers who push to the limit and leave little room for the negotiation/resolution tend to get shut down and their reputation gets passed around. Based on your posting and implied interaction with Acura corporate and your dealer, I am not surprised about their actions and their response is entirely logical.

Realistically how would you expect them to act when a law suit is filed, and do you really believe that they have a rock solid fix but are purposely holding it back from you?
Fair enough for u to take that perspective. The frustration in my post is pretty obvious. I would hardly say I am a difficult customer, my dealership would attest to that. I would suggest 7 months of driving a defective vehicle before finally calling acura corporate would as well.

I certainly do not think they have a fix and are holding it back. That's the problem though...they don't have a fix. They have sold me a malfunctioning vehicle and I have waited and worked patiently with them for a long time. At this point however, they have simply stated..take your malfunctioning car and go home. Then strong armed my dealership into no longer working with me (despite their good willed efforts to do so). By not allowing my car back in the shop, and by not allowing me to create a paper trail, and not allowing me to build up the requisite days of shop time to file for lemon law...they are basically telling me tough crap, take ur broken car and go while limiting my only leagal recourse which is try for a lemon.

So while you are entitled to your opinion, and I can see from ones perspective who has no issues that the rest of us may seem like cry babies...but a $40,000 malfunctioning purchase is a very unpleasant place to be.

Last edited by colohusker; 03-13-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Warrior 6 (03-14-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 01:01 AM
Connected

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Only took one week, eh?

Curious - what were the particulars of your situation when it happened? The two times it's happened to me (I've had my TLX for just over 6 months) the car was cold (maybe running for a minute or two) and the temps were below freezing.

I find this perplexing - clearly Acura is having a hard time fine-tuning the firmware and don't consider this to be a show-stopper.
The REVERSE to DRIVE lag-time is definitely worse in the cold. Yesterday it was near 60, and the problem, while still present, was not as bad. The jumping transmission usually occurs when I have to slow down quickly (i.e. speeding up to catch a yellow light, only to have to stop quickly on red). This is bad in any temperature. The sudden loss of power issue occurs most when I am rolling to a stop and suddenly need to accelerate quickly. Also more pronounced coming out of U-turns.

All of this and I've only owned the car 10 days...
Old 03-14-2015, 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
The REVERSE to DRIVE lag-time is definitely worse in the cold. Yesterday it was near 60, and the problem, while still present, was not as bad. The jumping transmission usually occurs when I have to slow down quickly (i.e. speeding up to catch a yellow light, only to have to stop quickly on red). This is bad in any temperature. The sudden loss of power issue occurs most when I am rolling to a stop and suddenly need to accelerate quickly. Also more pronounced coming out of U-turns.

All of this and I've only owned the car 10 days...
Wow! Such bad luck.

I am approaching 9,500 miles and I have yet to experience any transmission issues. I wish I could find what the difference is and fix those with issues.

Quick Reply: 8sp DCT Transmission issues