2016 TLX Tech Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 05:52 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 TLX Tech Failure

Just picked up my kid from daycare. I pull out of the parking lot and the car goes crazy. Check Engine Light, Transmission Light, Emmissions Problems Notification. Luckily I was able to coast into a gas station.

Currently, a 2 hour wait for road side assistance.

Car has 4k miles on it. Only have used premium gas.

This is is insane.

Will keep yall posted. Will most likely eat the negative equity and trade out. I had major plans for this car. Was getting it wrapped on Friday and wheels in a few weeks.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Did the battery cable get knocked loose somehow
Old 01-31-2017, 07:23 PM
Advanced

Not sure. Hopefully I will find out tomorrow. En route to the dealer now
Old 01-31-2017, 07:30 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
DTC U0029: F-CAN Malfunction (F-CAN Bus-OFF)
Old 01-31-2017, 07:55 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Well, if it helps, just because it says "transmission system problem" doesn't mean your transmission failed. Some of us have had those things light up and had to have rear wheel actuators, speed sensors, or something else replaced. I had the issue where it cycled through damn near everything as a "failure" on the dash and every light lit up and thought the car was going to explode. It happened to me twice. It could be something "trivial". Let the dealer figure it out.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:12 PM
Advanced

After 1 day at the dealer running diagnostics they still have not pinpointed the issue. Service Advisor said the Tech will most likely have to call Acura corporate for assistance tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:09 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by gatorknight904
After 1 day at the dealer running diagnostics they still have not pinpointed the issue. Service Advisor said the Tech will most likely have to call Acura corporate for assistance tomorrow.
I bet they reset the codes and they send you on your way.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:14 PM
Advanced

Day 2 and they didn't even call me.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:41 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
2016 Tech failure

Had the EXACT same problem, 2 weeks after picking up my 2015/TLX/SH-AWD/Tech
Of course it happened on a Sunday; lol; which rendered Acura service useless
Anyway, after a code reset, all is well
Unsettling, but not a major issue; good luck!
Old 02-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Humm, getting a check engine light is one thing. For the car to have a complete meltdown and have all electronics shutdown is really not a good thing. It happened to a few forum members, so I'm curious what causes this. For Acura to say it's just a reset would really not make me feel better, especially if I purchased the car.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:53 PM
Advanced

they blamed it on Acura Link... Replaced the cable harness. I pick the car up tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:00 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by gatorknight904
they blamed it on Acura Link... Replaced the cable harness. I pick the car up tomorrow.
If true, gotta love the electronics that display everything is failing but what's probably actually going wrong.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:54 PM
ranger

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
System Failure

I saw the same symptoms described by many others; first the engine light blinks, then all the warning lights come one, then the messages started. The car then went into limp mode but fortunately I was close to home. I called the dealer's service manager on Monday, who helped me arrange to get the car towed. The towing outfit was amazing; polite, fast and careful. The service manager called me to tell me when it had arrived and again at the end of the day to tell me how they were progressing. Today, he called to tell me that there were no computer problems but they had torn the engine down and found that one cylinder was oversized. Oil had fouled a spark plug and that's why it was miss-firing. They are going to replace the short block and try to have it ready by Thursday afternoon.
Of course, I wish that this problem never happened but the dealer (Bradshaw Acura Greenville, SC) has treated me right. I'll post again when I see how it works out.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:29 AM
ranger

System Failure

Originally Posted by ranger
I saw the same symptoms described by many others; first the engine light blinks, then all the warning lights come one, then the messages started. The car then went into limp mode but fortunately I was close to home. I called the dealer's service manager on Monday, who helped me arrange to get the car towed. The towing outfit was amazing; polite, fast and careful. The service manager called me to tell me when it had arrived and again at the end of the day to tell me how they were progressing. Today, he called to tell me that there were no computer problems but they had torn the engine down and found that one cylinder was oversized. Oil had fouled a spark plug and that's why it was miss-firing. They are going to replace the short block and try to have it ready by Thursday afternoon.
Of course, I wish that this problem never happened but the dealer (Bradshaw Acura Greenville, SC) has treated me right. I'll post again when I see how it works out.
I picked the car up yesterday and spoke with customer service and the technician. They were very pleasant and explained all that had to be done to replace and rebuild the engine. The technician spent 25 hours on the replacement including analysis, conferring with technical support, and final testing. The car now runs great and they also detailed it inside and out. I can certainly recommend this dealer for their service after the sale.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:15 PM
ranger

System Failure

Last Sunday, all the warning lights came on; lane change, brakes,stability, power steering, and more. Most disturbing was the steering wheel was off about 30 degrees to the left. Also, the engine went into the limp mode. Fortunately, we made it home, let it sit for a while and them restarted it. A few warning lights were still on but the steering was alright and full power was restored. I took it for a ride, turned it off, restarted it and everything was back to normal. I thought 'Here we go again.' I sent the dealer an email on Sunday and heard back Monday morning. First, they said it might be a one-time event and we should wait to see if it happens again. I said 'Not so fast - this time I was near home, but what happens if I am far from home? It would turn into a major inconvenience. We agreed that I would bring it in for testing. I took it in today and they found that the P-AWS actuators went sour. They replaced them and did a software update. All this in a few hours and they provided a loaner so that we could visit downtown Greenville for lunch.
They even washed the car for me.
Now, I am not happy that stuff goes wrong with a two-year old car with 16K miles, but the service has been excellent; Other than the uncertainty of what may happen next, I have been pleased with everything about the TLX.