2015 TLX-AWD Vibration - Escalating

Old 01-18-2016, 09:17 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add me to the list. Purchased a a V6 TLX tech on 12/31/15. Experiencing the vibration as well. Somewhere between 35-40mph the car feels like I am driving over grated road. What is weird is that i is not all the time. It feels like it sometimes clicks on and off. I thought it was transmission related but after reading some posts hear I think it could be when the engine switched on/off the # of cylinders. as it seems cyclical. I also experience a hard shift from gears 2 - 3 like many as well. Disappointed. This has the potential to be a great car. Hopefully Acura does the right thing here. I am sure these are correctable issues with the right investment.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikemet22
Add me to the list. Purchased a a V6 TLX tech on 12/31/15. Experiencing the vibration as well. Somewhere between 35-40mph the car feels like I am driving over grated road. What is weird is that i is not all the time. It feels like it sometimes clicks on and off. I thought it was transmission related but after reading some posts hear I think it could be when the engine switched on/off the # of cylinders. as it seems cyclical. I also experience a hard shift from gears 2 - 3 like many as well. Disappointed. This has the potential to be a great car. Hopefully Acura does the right thing here. I am sure these are correctable issues with the right investment.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi I’m not sure how many miles you have on your car but mine did it at 800 miles. Exactly as you mentioned about the vibration so I took it to dealer and I asked SA for a mechanic to come and test the car. because as you know SA are full of nice smooth talk but no action. I drove the car with the mechanic sitting next to me and I told him this hard vibration is not a wheel balance or I hit a curb, the chasse is vibrating. In the past I worked on my cars just because it’s my hobby and my diagnosis is either engine mounts, transmission torque or drive axles. I left the car at the dealer and came back after one week or so. The two front axles were replaced and one engine mount was adjusted, also they said alignment and balance. From my experience I looked at the wheels and they were not balanced, because there was no sign of taking the old weight and stick new weights as simple as this.

Conclusion: the car vibration reduced by 90%. Its ok and for some won’t even feel it. The transmission jerk will always be there and I think it will be more noticeable with time because of wearing parts. ACURAs always had problems with their transmissions since the 90s, same transmission works well on Honda but not on ACURA and the reason is all ACURA engines are bigger(more HP) which breaks the transmission. Now they came up with the 8-9 speed transmissions we have on our cars trying to copy the German cars (BMW, Audi etc)
Tell your dealer to change the front drive axles.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:15 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
If you are between 35-40 mph and while experiencing the issue hit the - shift paddle what happens? Does the vibration go away or change?
Old 01-29-2016, 10:18 PM
5th Gear

Thanks for the replies. I tried playing with the paddle shifters when the vibration occurs, up and down. It didnt change the level of vibration. I am growing increasingly more convinced it is an engine mount issue when the VCM engages. It feels as though the vibration "turns on." The issue usually occurs when I am holding a speed of 35-40mph. This is when the engine reduces to 3 cylinders. The vibration usually stops when I accelerate. I have my first service appointment next week so we will see what direction the dealer takes.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:46 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I tried playing with the paddle shifters when the vibration occurs, up and down. It didnt change the level of vibration. I am growing increasingly more convinced it is an engine mount issue when the VCM engages. It feels as though the vibration "turns on." The issue usually occurs when I am holding a speed of 35-40mph. This is when the engine reduces to 3 cylinders. The vibration usually stops when I accelerate. I have my first service appointment next week so we will see what direction the dealer takes.
Replacing the engine mounts has taken care of 90% of my problem with VCM vibration. Make sure they check that.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:36 PM
5th Gear

So had my service appointment. Discussed the thought about the engine mounts and brought up some concerns about the hard shift and some weird downshifts. Dealer checked the engine mounts, says they are working properly. Of course the say they could not recreate the issue. They said that there were some software updates that needed to be applied,(A PCM and TCM update), also balanced the tires in the event that was the vibration even though I knew this wasn't the issue. They also performed the Idle learn procedure. Flash forward a few days later, the car is basically undriveable now. The Vibration is still there but now the transmission is all over the place. Was in Stop and Go traffic yesterday, the transmission couldn't figure out what gear to be in. Ridiculous down shifts, sometimes will hold in a lower gear when I accelerate,there are now several rough upshift spots, the car doesn't know how to coast. The car even had a few slips into nutral. what a mess
Old 02-06-2016, 08:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ This is the NEW Acura for you....In their attempt to catch up with the Germans, the only progress they have made is bring their reliability to their level.

Good job Acura....We are all very proud of you. In their defense, they are still recovering from the Tsunami and the great depression from 1925
Old 02-06-2016, 09:04 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ This is the NEW Acura for you....In their attempt to catch up with the Germans, the only progress they have made is bring their reliability to their level.

Good job Acura....We are all very proud of you. In their defense, they are still recovering from the Tsunami and the great depression from 1925
My TLX has been at the dealer since Thursday for transmission (and they found fault codes so one step closer to replacement), the high speed cruise vibration which they think is tire related, the rear deck subwoofer rattle, and an issue with voice commands (a bad "telematics unit"),

The car has less than 2K miles on it. Frankly, this is my first Acura, and I'll never buy another. I had a Honda previously and had no issues, but this car is a mess. My son's Hyundai had better quality control and after 4 years has had fewer issues.

It's a shame. I started out really liking the car, and given that I own it, I wanted to keep it for a few years, but it may be short term affair if items like the subwoofer can't be worked out. At a minimum, I should be able to listen to music at a mid level volume in a car that retails for $42K and not cringe from distortion and vibrations. It's a shame and I hope they can fix it.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:09 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ A good reputation takes a long time to build but a bad one develops very quickly. Acura will learn the hard way and quite frankly, have little sympathy for them.

They have lost my business and will not come back for a longggggg time now.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by weather
^^ A good reputation takes a long time to build but a bad one develops very quickly. Acura will learn the hard way and quite frankly, have little sympathy for them.

They have lost my business and will not come back for a longggggg time now.
The other rather telling comment came from the "lead tech" who rode with me so I could show him the issues. At one point he said "it's too bad Acura doesn't do any significant R&D or quality control. They tend to be ready, fire, aim..." I thought that was telling when the service guys are throwing their brand under the bus.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:55 AM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by neil0311
My TLX has been at the dealer since Thursday for transmission (and they found fault codes so one step closer to replacement), the high speed cruise vibration which they think is tire related, the rear deck subwoofer rattle, and an issue with voice commands (a bad "telematics unit"),

The car has less than 2K miles on it. Frankly, this is my first Acura, and I'll never buy another. I had a Honda previously and had no issues, but this car is a mess. My son's Hyundai had better quality control and after 4 years has had fewer issues.

It's a shame. I started out really liking the car, and given that I own it, I wanted to keep it for a few years, but it may be short term affair if items like the subwoofer can't be worked out. At a minimum, I should be able to listen to music at a mid level volume in a car that retails for $42K and not cringe from distortion and vibrations. It's a shame and I hope they can fix it.
My car was at the dealer for a month this past summer for the highway vibration problem. They replaced tons of parts and even swapped tires with other cars on the lot. Nothing helped until the District Service Manager offered to replace the tires. I chose Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 tires and it fixed (or masked?) the problem. And the car handles 10x better than it did with the stock Goodyears.

I'm surprised Acura still hasn't figured this issue out.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mojo_79
My car was at the dealer for a month this past summer for the highway vibration problem. They replaced tons of parts and even swapped tires with other cars on the lot. Nothing helped until the District Service Manager offered to replace the tires. I chose Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 tires and it fixed (or masked?) the problem. And the car handles 10x better than it did with the stock Goodyears.

I'm surprised Acura still hasn't figured this issue out.
Just received a call from my service advisor at the dealer. The regional rep drove my car on Tuesday and they have agreed to replace the Goodyear tires with Michelin tires to address the vibration, and they have agreed to replace the transmission as well.

Hope to have the car back in a week with those issues resolved.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:18 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,390 Likes on 643 Posts
See TSB 16-009 - Vibration Felt in Floor at Highway Speed in the TSB thread.

https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...letins-914607/
Old 02-14-2016, 02:18 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by EE4Life

Wow, that's bizarre! So the shaft was installed 90 degrees rotated on some cars?
Old 02-16-2016, 09:00 AM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by EE4Life

I'm calling BS on this TSB. When they were trying to find the source of the vibration in my car, they completely removed the drive shaft and test drove the car. The vibration was still there. The new Michelin tires fixed the problem on my car. The funny thing is, the Pilot Sport AS3 tires are rated "Ultra High Performance" and are supposed to ride rougher than the "Touring" Goodyear tires that came from the factory.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:41 PM
5th Gear

So, Back to the dealer this morning. Took a long drive with the tech. He definitely felt the vibrations when the car engages to fewer cylinders. Additionally, I expressed all of the shifting issues I was having, and how much worse that got after the car received some software updates. The traffic conditions were not right to recreate some of the transmission issues but the fact that the tech felt the vibrations was enough to take me seriously after the service counter rep tried to dismiss my concerns. (I needed to get a little firm that my issues were real, once I got past the gate keeper and with a tech directly, things got better). The dealer just called and low an behold, I need a new transmission, and they will also be replacing the engine mounts. Apparently the tech spent some more time with the car and felt some of the transmission issues. He then spent 2.5hrs over the phone with Acura and identified specific codes indicating that a transmission replacement was required. I am a bit Relieved that this is not in my head and hopeful this will put the car in the state that I envisioned when I bought it. Although it took a little pushing, I appreciate that Acura is trying to make good. I assume however that they would not be so agreeable unless this is something they were seeing, so poor marks to Acura for releasing a car before it was at the proper quality standard, but some credit for at least trying to make it right. I won't have the car for about a week and will update after I get to drive it a bit. Others that have gone down this same path seem to be pleased so fingers crossed.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:50 AM
8th Gear

Interesting. I have 12000 miles on my V6 FWD TLX. The vibration at 70-80 seems to have improve or gone away. Maybe I am immune to it by now. The transmission seems fine. I rather the techs not take the car apart, what I have found in the past it only makes matters worse. I am interested to know if the new transmission is seamless?!
Old 02-19-2016, 10:18 AM
5th Gear

Thanks SCTLX11. Believe me, I am very nervous about the amount of work being done but allow me to clarify, Acura is not replacing the transmission due to the vibration issue. They are replacing the engine mounts in an attempt to fix that. It became clear that my vibrations were related to when the VCM engages into 3 cylinder mode. I have no vibration at high speeds as the car is operating with 6 cylinders. My vibration turns on and off based on the engine mode. Separately from the vibration, I was also having considerable shifting issues such as slips into neutral and long lags, sometimes it would take the car 3-4 seconds to complete downshifting after coming to a stop where the car would "kick" well after having been stopped. Additionally, the car would sometimes wind out between gears and not shift, it didn't know how to shift in stop and go traffic etc... Apparently the car returned a code that suggests a transmission replacement is required. There was also a transmission recall on specific TLX's within a VIN range, which mine falls within. Very bummed that the car will be getting such heavy work but I think it was unfortunately necessary
Old 02-19-2016, 10:44 AM
8th Gear

Yes, you are correct the motor modes for the vibration. I wish you luck, very nerve racking!
Old 02-19-2016, 11:47 AM
Instructor

I do agree with mikemet and for instance my car in idle if i turn ac on it vibrates/shivers. if its engine mounts, why they dont replace them all with better quality engine mounts. wont be less headache for ACURA and less bad reputation. !!
Old 02-21-2016, 02:18 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
FWIW, the new motor mounts in my car didn't totally do away with the VCM vibration. I found it amusing that the tech's comments after replacing them were "Vibration reduced to normal levels".

That seems to be another way of saying some vibration is normal.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Hi,
I replaced the sway front sway bar on my ILX and as you know to drop the Subframe the lower engine mount should be removed. The engine mount bolt 17mm i think, was removed and inserted back again. the car now vibrates from 50 to 80. also i noticed when its vibrating if i take off my foot of the gas pedal it stops. i took the car to tire depot balanced the tires to 0 and did alignment. nothing changed. Definitely something defective about the engine mounts.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
TSB-16009 does not fix the shake.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:20 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Tswaibel
Fellow Acurazine'rs, I'm not one to post or complain as I feel we each have our own qwirks and nit picks from time to time. This is especially true when many of us work long hard hours to afford the toys we consider a luxury in our lives. That being said, I'm posting only the facts about my current issue, the actions taken thus far on the issue, and as well will try to keep you updated if needbe on future results.

Approximately 4 weeks ago I took my 2015 TLX AWD into the dealer from where I purchased it for an initial 5,000 mile service. As you know, this includes of all things, a tire rotation. This car was the first AWD delivered to the dealer in my area and as such I knew there was always the risk of things not being 'Up to snuff' the first year around for the model change. Regardless, I leased it for 3 years, and here I was eager to get the first service out of the way.

Following this service which went flawlessly, I left the dealer for the approximate 15-20 mile drive home. This drive is 80% highway, so a speed of 70-80 is the norm lets just say. Once on the highway, I noticed the unmistakable feeling that perhaps a wheel weight was thrown off. It's the feeling you get where the vibration runs throughout the car, from the steering wheel, to the pedals, from the front to the rear. I am no mechanic and never will be, but that was my first impression: wheel weights. I called the dealer back quickly and explained that obviously the first 5,000 miles went without a hiccup and after this service, the car is vibrating badly.. specifically between 70-80mph. Below that, you notice no vibration, and above that, it starts to taper off.

Acura then requested I bring the car in again the following Monday and they would investigate the issue. That following Monday, I happily returned to the dealer where I waited approximately 2 hours for it to be serviced. After that time, the service staff (Who I have no qualms with believe me, the service counter staff were impeccable at assisting me and understanding my frustration) advised me that the issue still wasn't solved.

Service stated that they attempted to re-balance the tires on all 4 wheels. In doing so (Again I'm no mechanic,) the front driver's side wheel couldn't be balanced. As he put it, the #'s were all over the board with the tire so it was replaced with a new one. Believing this fixed the issue, I was sent on my way to continue a day of shopping with the lady. Minutes after leaving the dealer, we both looked at each other, as the vibration was back.

I turned around at this point, drove back to the dealer (Still Monday morning) and explained that the issue was not fixed, at all. I was then put into a loaner vehicle and went about my business for the day. Later I was contacted and told they were road testing the vehicle and trying to see if the issue was the tires, the transmission, or anything else that they hadn't determined yet. A few hours later, near the end of the day, I heard again that it appeared the tires 'could' be the culprit but that they had no other tires to put on the Acura TLX due to the high speed rating it required (I'm told it needs to be good up to 160mph.) None the less, they were speaking with the district reps and would get back to me.

We'll fast track to the end of this week, it's now Friday, and 5 business days later after the 2nd attempt to fix the vibration. I was told Friday that they had replaced all 4 tires on the vehicle with brand new Goodyears, again. Service staff said they received approval for those replacements from Acura directly and that before they would release my vehicle, they wanted me to road test it with an Acura service clerk. This in my mind was a fine idea, I'd rather we both be sure it's fixed and I was glad they were so thorough. Again however, keep in mind, this was visit #2 and a full week had past over what looked like a simple wheel vibration issue.

The road-test was promptly started and just as prompt to reveal that in fact the vibration was still there. The service clerk said he felt it too and that although a bit more faint, it was quite obvious. I reminded the clerk that in fact the loaner they gave me which was identical to my car, also exhibited the horrible vibration in case they wanted to know about that! We returned to the dealer and they asked that I take the car home for the weekend as it would be safer with me, while they continue figuring out a solution.

The next Monday, I spoke to service again who stated that it appeared a balancing machine for the TLX wheels had parts that didn't pass an inspection of some sort. I was told they ordered a new cone for the machine and another part, however it would take a week or two before the parts would arrive. That was fine, not an issue.

Fast forward now to yesterday, May 7, 2015. The Acura dealer was kind enough to send a driver to my home with a loaner vehicle, and return to the dealer with my car. The intention was for Acura to re-balance or attempt to re-balance my wheels as they had tried many times before. (Note: The week long attempt to fix my car previously they stated every time they drove on the highway and came back, the balance #'s were all over the place again, as if when the Good year tires warmed up, they lost balance) I was called hours later and told the news: My Acura was not fixed.

The final word yesterday was that service had exhausted all resources and options for trying to ascertain the issue with the 2015 TLX AWD. They said again that they wanted to replace the tires with another brand, however unfortunately had none available for that model vehicle to match the speed rating. (Unknown why they couldn't order any.) They instructed me to contact Client Relations with Acura and open a case #. I was told I now need to explain things to Acura in reference to my maintenance issue the last 4 weeks and hope that they can resolve it or find a solution/path to resolve it. I was not happy to hear this, as it was now put in my hands to start with this issue all over again. I was told there is a similar issue now 'They're aware of' and that the more cases they get, perhaps it will speed things along.

Here is a little background on me: This is my third Acura TL(x). I'm a faithful buyer, supporter, and believer in the product. That being said, it's become apparent that once I'm given the responsibility of trying to fix a problem with a vehicle I paid 'you know what we all paid' for, I'm pretty much turned off from the brand, similar to giving a significant other 10 too many chances!

I now sit here advising you all of this issue, in hopes that if you too have a problem, to be sure you report it and not ignore it. I'm not sure what is wrong with a vehicle I've only owned since October and put minimal miles on, but the fact that after a month of service assistance (1 full week in itself) without it being repaired, I'm not intending on keeping it nor accepting the lack-luster maintenance they've provided. I plan on giving Acura a few weeks after notice of this 'Incident #' and see if they can repair the new vehicle they've leased me. If not, unfortunately I've exhausted the patience options.

If any questions pop up while you read this, by all means ask, I'll do my best to answer. Remember though, I do not do mechanical work so you'll get a lame man's answer!
wish I had read your post before buying my TLX SH AWD. I have the vibration problem from 70-80 mph. First time in the shop they rotated the rear differential flange 90 degrees (TSB 16-009). I brought it back and told them that TSB did not even apply to my VIN number. They undid that and then claimed it was fixed by two new tires and a forced balance. She mgr claimed he drove it at 80 mph and it didn't vibrate. Not true. Now they have it for the 3rd time. We'll see what they come up with this time...
Old 03-13-2016, 08:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by prm628
wish I had read your post before buying my TLX SH AWD. I have the vibration problem from 70-80 mph. First time in the shop they rotated the rear differential flange 90 degrees (TSB 16-009). I brought it back and told them that TSB did not even apply to my VIN number. They undid that and then claimed it was fixed by two new tires and a forced balance. She mgr claimed he drove it at 80 mph and it didn't vibrate. Not true. Now they have it for the 3rd time. We'll see what they come up with this time...
Let me tell you what they will tell you in advance, "Vibration at or above 70-80 mph is the normal behavior of the car and it is behaving as it designed". That's their precision crafted answer.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kchemist
Let me tell you what they will tell you in advance, "Vibration at or above 70-80 mph is the normal behavior of the car and it is behaving as it designed". That's their precision crafted answer.
That's not what they told me. The tech and service manager rode in the car and agreed the vibration wasn't normal and ordered 4 new Michelin tires. I also made them aware of the TSB that came out and my VIN was in scope, but when they tried it, the vibration got worse.

Swapping out the tires has helped and masked the issue quite a bit, although the underlying issue is still there to a minor degree. The service manager said he recommends staying with Michelins.

It definitely was not caused by the VCM because they said the vibrations happened around 70mph regardless of IDS setting. Sport + disables VCM.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by neil0311
That's not what they told me. The tech and service manager rode in the car and agreed the vibration wasn't normal and ordered 4 new Michelin tires. I also made them aware of the TSB that came out and my VIN was in scope, but when they tried it, the vibration got worse.

Swapping out the tires has helped and masked the issue quite a bit, although the underlying issue is still there to a minor degree. The service manager said he recommends staying with Michelins.

It definitely was not caused by the VCM because they said the vibrations happened around 70mph regardless of IDS setting. Sport + disables VCM.
My dealer did all the same things. They tried road force balancing, swapped wheels and Goodyear tires. They tried the new TSB, nothing worked. Finally they switched to Michelin Primacy MXM4's. I did not fix the problem but it did mask it pretty well. It would appear that is about as good as it gets for now. Hopefully Acura will continue to look for a 100% solution. Time will tell.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:41 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mojo_79
I'm calling BS on this TSB. When they were trying to find the source of the vibration in my car, they completely removed the drive shaft and test drove the car. The vibration was still there. The new Michelin tires fixed the problem on my car. The funny thing is, the Pilot Sport AS3 tires are rated "Ultra High Performance" and are supposed to ride rougher than the "Touring" Goodyear tires that came from the factory.

That's the next step in mine, removing driveshaft, if it's still there, they are probably going to replace the differential. Tires definitely mask the vibration and push the threshold up from 55mph to around 65mph but at 70 it gets really bad again.

3rd time back today, we tried the TSB even though my car was out of VIN range just because. No luck.

Car goes back March 28th for the week

Here is a video of mine from a road trip yesterday. 70mph on the smooth, straight freeway.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:05 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ My g/f would love to go for a drive *lol*
Old 04-01-2016, 08:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by #172CR
That's the next step in mine, removing driveshaft, if it's still there, they are probably going to replace the differential. Tires definitely mask the vibration and push the threshold up from 55mph to around 65mph but at 70 it gets really bad again.

3rd time back today, we tried the TSB even though my car was out of VIN range just because. No luck.

Car goes back March 28th for the week

Here is a video of mine from a road trip yesterday. 70mph on the smooth, straight freeway.

Acura TLX vibration AWD - YouTube

I got my car back today, after all that work, no closer to a resolution. Bummed
Old 04-01-2016, 10:32 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tlx

Well folks I have finally had with my vibrating TLX,
The 2016 RDX has a $3000 rebate offer in my region because the 2017 model is coming out in May. The dealer is giving me a significant discount on top of the rebate so that will bring my loss to an aceptable minimum. I was hoping to get away from Acura all together but this is my only way out without taking a huge loss. Acura National has done absolutely nothing for me but Dealer is willing to take the hit to keep a customer who already purchased 10 cars from them over the years. Good luck to you all, I will still be monitoring the posts to see the progress reports.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:29 AM
Intermediate

NSX Wheel Balancer

Ok. So this week I took my TLX in for TSB 16-008 (high pressure fuel pump...nice repair...no more idle chirp) and the service tech did some more vibration work.

Apparently Acura dealers have had to buy a new special Wheel Balancer for the new NSX. The service tech decided to use it for my TLX to see if he could improve on mitigating the vibration issue. Well, it improved!

It first improved when I added Michelin MXMV's and 19" Diamond Cut wheels with road-force balancing. That reduced the vibration by about 80%. This latest NSX machine balancer improved it by at least another 10%. Better...but not resolved.

Please Acura...find the problem and get it completely repaired. We know you can. You need to be ALL IN on eliminating the vibration and 9speed tranny shift matters!!!
The following users liked this post:
#172CR (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 10:33 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by volmoon
Ok. So this week I took my TLX in for TSB 16-008 (high pressure fuel pump...nice repair...no more idle chirp) and the service tech did some more vibration work.
Forgot to add mine had this done too last week

Sounds like we're all doing our due diligence to eliminate as many things as possible. I'm with you; hoping Acura will find the source of this.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:40 AM
2nd Gear

tlx 2015 sh/awd

Hi, i had the same problem about vibration above 60mph, i went to the dealer and try a lot of things without issue, e wnt to the main tire shop and buy 4 Michelin to replace the 4 good year eagle ls2 and the proble is gone and now i'm waiting to be refunded by acura
Old 04-10-2016, 09:49 AM
2nd Gear

Hi, the solution is swap the tires try an other brand, when i purchased my tlx in last January it was on snow tires on a 17" rims and no vibrations and 2 weeks ago i switch to summer tire 18"oem good year eagle ls2 and vibration appear above 60mph i told that to the dealer, the dealer service manager sais to me after 4 appointment for vibrations, they know the problem is tire, after that i swap the tire for michelin defender and the problem is fixed, i leaved in canada quebec
Old 04-10-2016, 11:12 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by spock123
Hi, i had the same problem about vibration above 60mph, i went to the dealer and try a lot of things without issue, e wnt to the main tire shop and buy 4 Michelin to replace the 4 good year eagle ls2 and the proble is gone and now i'm waiting to be refunded by acura
The dealer swapped the Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires on my 2015 SH-AWD in Feb with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires and there is zero vibration at any speed, and the handling is also much improved.

I think most of the vibration is the lousy OEM Goodyear tires.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:55 AM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
so......I believe I am now a victim of this crazy vibration issue. A little history, since I bought my car new, I always felt a very slight vibration at highway speeds and accepted that as normal based on what I read about VCM. Fast forward, I'm currently at 49,000km on my SH-AWD Tech, and about 4 weeks ago I took my car in for routine service which included Tire Rotation & Balance. After I got the car back, I thought to myself that the vibration at 120km/h was worse than before and thought they must not have balanced it correctly. Took it back, then they performed a Road Force balance. Smooth as ever until you hit 120km/h. It's like a switch that gets activated at exactly 120km/h. But vibration is bad. Felt through my knees and seat. I'm taking it in today at 10:30am to have the shop foreman do a road test with me, and will see what they have to say about it now.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:40 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi there, I have 2016 awd elite with 19 inch diamond cut wheels and pilot as3. This car was a replacement for 2015 awd model built in October 14 that had a bad vibration at 115 to 130km. I am in a road trip right now driving from Vancouver to Calgary over a really nice double lane road over top of mountain ranges as the locals call it. The new car has at least 50 percent less vibration. My car is extremely smooth at 100km but does start to shake between 110 and 130 (worst at 120). I know this is not the vcm kicking in as I had the same behaviour coasting down very long hills on this road in neutral from 150km down to 100 and sure enough the vibration gets more pronounced and 123km it seems to worse then seems to disappear at 100. I do not think vcm can affect this car when in neutral and idling and while coasting. My mom also has a 2015 bought at the same time as my original 2015 and her car is very bad and we are trying to get it replaced or traded in --- I'm convinced then issue is in the transemission. My car was road forced balanced before my trip as well... One thing is that the car handles great and is very smooth at speeds greater than 140km but that can be hard on your pocketbook �� My 2016 has the same pattern as my or my moms 2015 just 50 percent less pronounced... I am unhappy as this is my 6 Acura since 2002 and I had not one complaint with the 3G or 4G TL well other than the 4G sh-awd sprung a bit too tight -- but it sure handled and was fast.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:46 PM
3rd Gear

Hi,

I've been lurking around the forums for about a month now and it seems the two solutions are:

1) TSB 16-009
2) Michelin Pilot Sports

Can someone please confirm (if possible) which one solves/mitigates the problem? I've owned my 2015 SH-AWD for 5 weeks and it's already spent 3 weeks at the dealership. I'm planning on going again this weekend and was hoping to basically spoon feed my service advisor possible solutions.

I'm so fed up with this. If this 3rd attempt doesn't get rid of the issue I'm buying a Lexus.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:24 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mn5789
Hi,

I've been lurking around the forums for about a month now and it seems the two solutions are:

1) TSB 16-009
2) Michelin Pilot Sports

Can someone please confirm (if possible) which one solves/mitigates the problem? I've owned my 2015 SH-AWD for 5 weeks and it's already spent 3 weeks at the dealership. I'm planning on going again this weekend and was hoping to basically spoon feed my service advisor possible solutions.

I'm so fed up with this. If this 3rd attempt doesn't get rid of the issue I'm buying a Lexus.
TSB 16-009 did NOT work on my 2015 SH-AWD. Michelin Primacy MXM4s mounted to 19" Diamond Cut Wheels did. Others have opted for the Michelin Pilot Sports with the stock 18" wheels and reported success.

Lastly, have your Acura dealer balance the Michelins on a new wheel balancing machine compliant with NSX standards!!! It helps. The NSX required Acura dealers to step up their wheel balancer to another level beyond regular road-force balancing. My dealer said the new balancer cost them over $10k. When they did my wheels on it, everyone could tell the difference.
The following users liked this post:
mn5789 (04-21-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 TLX-AWD Vibration - Escalating