Exhaust Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 12:23 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Exhaust Tips?

I was wondering if anyone had installed some tips on their (mostly hidden) exhausts, and what the outer diameter of the stock exhaust pipes are?

I'm about a month out from getting mine, and I'd like to do this cosmetic mod just to clean up the look from behind a little bit. I realize I also may be out of luck on this one. But just in case, I'd love to order a pair and have them ready to go when I pick up the car.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey im looking for exhaust tips as well

i just got a welding machine (im a welder by trade) and im looking to weld some tips to a pipe

heres what im into; 2.5'' inlet 3.5'' out
and a 45degree bent pipe 2.5'' to weld between new tips and on the muffler outlet

good idea? bad idea? any inputs are welcome!!

2.5" Stainless Steel 45 Degree Bend
Old 03-11-2016, 12:23 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Hmm I'm intrigued. I think I would need to see pics of how it would look on the back of the TLX
Old 03-11-2016, 03:17 PM
Intermediate

alright so i got 3 possibilities of installment. it may not be so obvious at first but i have some pics. first is straight, parralel to ground, that one require more work than the others. i need to cut a hole at top of exhaust tips in order to fit to the existing pipe.

second and 3rd choice are slip-on to the actual exhaust pipe, they end being at 45 degrees from the ground. see the difference? one is angle cut upside down so it end up at 90deg from ground and the other is face a little turndown.

im still not sure which one i prefer, slip-on are really easy task just to fit on pipe, the parralel one is really more work

Old 03-11-2016, 04:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm not so sure about that. Looks really tacky sitting so low on the bumper. I don't think there's anyway of making it look nice without modifying the rear bumper.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:26 PM
Intermediate

ya cutting through the bumper might be the best idea for straight finish.

my car is on lease, even if im planning on buying it after 4 years leasing. im looking for a semi-permenant setup. cutting the bumper is more than permanent
Old 03-12-2016, 08:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Parallel > angle downward. The latter is
Old 03-13-2016, 09:52 AM
Intermediate

thanks for your input, i need more like these

is the pipe too big? might it be better with a smaller end tips, or even double tips each side ..?
Old 03-13-2016, 03:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
How about repositioning them moreso towards the center of the rear bumper? Seems like there's more room towards the center.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:57 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
I've been thinking about doing exhaust tips too. Unfortunately due to our stock setup's I think only flat exhaust tips would look best. Like the exhaust tips on the 4G TL's.
I really like the setup from the Canadian show Red TLX CLICK HERE
But there's a rear diffuser under the bumper along with the tips and it looks like there may have been a modification/cutout on the bumper to incorporate this look.
The following users liked this post:
youngTL (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 09:22 PM

Definitely parallel instead of angled. I wasn't actually looking to extend the length of mine, just to put a finisher on them because you can kind of see them from behind. I guess my other option is a special coating for them.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:26 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
I was wondering if anyone had installed some tips on their (mostly hidden) exhausts, and what the outer diameter of the stock exhaust pipes are?

I'm about a month out from getting mine, and I'd like to do this cosmetic mod just to clean up the look from behind a little bit. I realize I also may be out of luck on this one. But just in case, I'd love to order a pair and have them ready to go when I pick up the car.
Not to criticize, but is it that important to show the exhaust tips? Many cars don't have exposed exhaust tips, not just Acuras. It is worth it to mod the car just for exhaust tips?

I've seen some aftermarket from and rear skirts that have exhaust ports.

Just adding tips makes the TLX look more like an Accord, IMO.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:34 AM
Needs a 930

Received 759 Likes on 547 Posts
Originally Posted by rocket_pup
is it that important to show the exhaust tips? Many cars don't have exposed exhaust tips, not just Acuras. It is worth it to mod the car just for exhaust tips?
"Why is the sky blue? Why is the grass green? Why does posi trac work on a Plymouth? ........... It just does"

Ever mod your exhaust and not consider the exhaust tips? It's all a part of that mod and a lot of people like that. Personally I like the aggressiveness of the quads on the type S and the TLX is definitely lacking that in the rear.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:23 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by BeezleTL85
"Why is the sky blue? Why is the grass green? Why does posi trac work on a Plymouth? ........... It just does"

Ever mod your exhaust and not consider the exhaust tips? It's all a part of that mod and a lot of people like that. Personally I like the aggressiveness of the quads on the type S and the TLX is definitely lacking that in the rear.
I wouldn't really classify slapping on some janky exhaust tips a mod. That's like replacing the Acura symbol with an Autobot insignia.

I don't get why people would buy a 30k car (I4) or 40k car (V6) and do it up like a Honda Civic. When you say "aggressiveness", are you really referring to exhaust tips? Or an entire cat-back? I would say greater than 75% of the time, when you see quads on a Jap car, they are just tips from a single outlet.

I remember way back when I saw a Camero with what I thought was some nice dual exhaust. I peaked under the bumper and there was only 1 exhaust pipe. The other exhaust port was just a tip affixed to the bumper. I both laughed my @ss off and felt sorry for the owner.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:04 AM
OOOOOH

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
^^ Your comments are starting to come across a little snarky, to put it nicely.

A lot of people feel that the exhaust tips is a missing design feature for the rear of the TLX. I really thought it looked weird at first, but that has mostly subsided for me.

If you don't think exhaust tips would be an improvement on the TLX, that's cool. But I completely understand why others think that it would improve the rear end, and yes, add a bit of aggressiveness to the design.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:33 PM

I wouldn't really classify slapping on some janky exhaust tips a mod. That's like replacing the Acura symbol with an Autobot insignia.

I don't get why people would buy a 30k car (I4) or 40k car (V6) and do it up like a Honda Civic. When you say "aggressiveness", are you really referring to exhaust tips? Or an entire cat-back? I would say greater than 75% of the time, when you see quads on a Jap car, they are just tips from a single outlet.

I remember way back when I saw a Camero with what I thought was some nice dual exhaust. I peaked under the bumper and there was only 1 exhaust pipe. The other exhaust port was just a tip affixed to the bumper. I both laughed my @ss off and felt sorry for the owner.
Thanks for making presumptions. I was not even looking for outwardly visible exhaust tips. I just wanted to put finishers on the pipes and keep their length the EXACT SAME or close to the same, because the plain pipes are just steel and I would prefer aluminum alloy or something, since you *can* see the stock ones from behind if you're far enough back.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:26 PM
Racer

Thanks for making presumptions. I was not even looking for outwardly visible exhaust tips. I just wanted to put finishers on the pipes and keep their length the EXACT SAME or close to the same, because the plain pipes are just steel and I would prefer aluminum alloy or something, since you *can* see the stock ones from behind if you're far enough back.
Maybe not you, but look at some of the exhaust tip craziness earlier in this thread.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:24 PM
Needs a 930

Well lets just be thankful that Acura isn't Chevy.

I meant the entire rear of the car when referring to the aggressiveness, but yes exhaust included (tips/full system). I must be used to the 3G where we basically had 3 rear options.

Ive seen a few German cars doing the 1 pip to quad tip game.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
If we developed an exhaust for the TLX, would people prefer a hidden "turn-down" style exhaust, or something that would require bumper modification maybe?
Old 04-06-2016, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by ExcelerateRep
If we developed an exhaust for the TLX, would people prefer a hidden "turn-down" style exhaust, or something that would require bumper modification maybe?
I think you'll have more people in the latter camp than the former. I prefer hidden for this car since they already are, just nicer pipe ends without a length increase.

I think the vast majority would tilt toward a full straight out style with a bumper mod. I think the bumper mod would have to be significant as with the Galpin TLX, because of the size it looks stupid just cutting holes in the existing one.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:24 PM
Needs a 930

I could see a center exhaust cutout, but the ideas in my head all look dumb without the rear lip kit.

Where the photo choppers?

Last edited by BeezleTL85; 04-06-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
So I was thinking something like this can work. Some type of rear diffuser that sits flush on that raised flat surface our rear bumpers have. And have a look kinda like the M3 or M4. I'm sure there's a rear diffuser that will sit flush with little to no modification.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
We've extensively looked at tip options. Without major body work and upgrades it will be difficult. What do you think of this?

XLR8 TLX exhaust
Old 04-19-2016, 08:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm wondering if it would clear the rear lip kit? The more I look at it, maybe a more flat circle angled down like that?

Old 04-19-2016, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Excelerate
We've extensively looked at tip options. Without major body work and upgrades it will be difficult. What do you think of this?

XLR8 TLX exhaust
Can we see some other angles? I think this is kind of what I was thinking of. The exhaust still stays 90% hidden but in the event you're pulled up behind the car at a stop light far enough back, you won't see plain-Jane rusty pipes. Basically finishers. It looks like what you've got there works, but we certainly need a few angles.

Try to get an angle like this:
Old 04-22-2016, 04:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Like this?

XLR8 TLX Exhaust
The following 3 users liked this post by Excelerate:
ultrapogi (04-26-2016), Warrior 6 (04-23-2016), youngTL (04-24-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 07:52 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
I like it! Any sound clips?
Old 04-23-2016, 12:17 PM
Intermediate

not so bad eh? i havent done mine yet,

are they welded or bolted?
Old 04-24-2016, 08:20 PM

I actually like those quite a bit. Also they won't slip any further up the pipe? It might look a bit strange to actually have them stick out past the bumper.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:22 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I actually like those quite a bit. Also they won't slip any further up the pipe? It might look a bit strange to actually have them stick out past the bumper.
Yeah I agree, it looks kind of weird to have them stick out past the bumper. As much as we all want to see muffler tips on the TLX, I don't know if this is the solution people will want. I know it's a hard thing to do without modifying the bumper, but props to XLR8 for trying to come up with something. I think I'd rather just have a catback system even if it has hidden exhaust tips like stock, but at least we'll have the sound
Old 04-25-2016, 11:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ultrapogi
I like it! Any sound clips?
We will have some shortly.

Originally Posted by maxld470
not so bad eh? i havent done mine yet,

are they welded or bolted?
Welded.

We are still finishing R&D. We will also be offering a no tip design with just a turn down so it can be like the OE setup in terms of appearance, but growl like an XLR8 exhaust should.

Originally Posted by h_dawg
Yeah I agree, it looks kind of weird to have them stick out past the bumper. As much as we all want to see muffler tips on the TLX, I don't know if this is the solution people will want. I know it's a hard thing to do without modifying the bumper, but props to XLR8 for trying to come up with something. I think I'd rather just have a catback system even if it has hidden exhaust tips like stock, but at least we'll have the sound
See the above comment. Unfortunately there is no great way to do a tip on this car, without getting a new bumper or modifying the rear of the car extensively. I'm sure there will be people that do it eventually but for the majority of people it will not be feasible nor practical.
The following 2 users liked this post by Excelerate:
BeezleTL85 (05-03-2016), youngTL (04-25-2016)
Old 09-17-2016, 11:23 AM
ranger

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Exhaust Tips

I just installed some tips on my 2016 TLX V6. They may not be for everyone but I like them. I did not cut anything to install them but I may decide to risk it later so that I can raise them an inch. In case you are interested. they came from Amazon and cost about $30 each. Let me know what you think. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by ranger; 09-17-2016 at 11:28 AM.
TLSC (12-12-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 01:26 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ranger

I just installed some tips on my 2016 TLX V6. They may not be for everyone but I like them. I did not cut anything to install them but I may decide to risk it later so that I can raise them an inch. In case you are interested. they came from Amazon and cost about $30 each. Let me know what you think. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Can you post some pics from the bottom to see how your tips connect to the existing muffler?
Old 12-08-2016, 04:15 PM
ranger

Exhaust Tips

As requested, a photo of the tips and the muffler. Notice that I trimmed the panel a little with a Dremel tool . The inlet on these tips is 3 inches and the stock exhaust is 2 1/2 inches. I also trimmed the exhaust pipe so the the exhaust would not be restricted where it flows into the tips. They are held on with three bolts with lock nuts.
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Tips?-img_0115.jpg  
TLSC (12-12-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 08:19 AM
Advanced

As requested, a photo of the tips and the muffler. Notice that I trimmed the panel a little with a Dremel tool . The inlet on these tips is 3 inches and the stock exhaust is 2 1/2 inches. I also trimmed the exhaust pipe so the the exhaust would not be restricted where it flows into the tips. They are held on with three bolts with lock nuts.
Thanks for the pic!
Old 12-10-2016, 09:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
There's a dude in the TLX forum of Facebook that fabricated a rear bumper with exhaust outlets that resemble the E63 AMG.

https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/group...38&ref=m_notif
TLSC (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Advanced

That looks pretty good with the e363 tips, but he modified the rear bumper and the lower reflector lights.

Ranger, in your first pic it doesn't look like you modified the bumper with the dremel, but in the second pic you can see it was modified. Did you modify it later?

Also how far do the tips stick out past the bumper? Looks like 2 inches, I am trying to keep it flush with the bumper

Thanks
Old 12-13-2016, 10:33 AM
ranger

You are right; I did trim the bumper panel after about a month. It took that long to work up the courage to make the first cut. The cutout is about 1 1/2 inches high and is a close fit to the tips. I noticed that most cars have a lot of clearance around the tips to allow for manufacturing tolerances.but I found that 1/4 inch was plenty since the mufflers don't vibrate much.
Also, the tips protrude a bit more that you would expect on an Acura but about the same as you would see on a British or Italian touring car. After making the cutout and raising the tips, they protrude about 1 1/2 inches . Raising the cutout further would allow them to protrude a little less. There is not much you can do to shorten the inlet pipe since the bolts are near the end of the pipe. The alternative would be to cut the pipe after the bolts and weld the tip to the exhaust pipe.
No photo today because it's raining.

Ranger
Old 01-12-2017, 02:05 PM
Advanced

You are right; I did trim the bumper panel after about a month. It took that long to work up the courage to make the first cut. The cutout is about 1 1/2 inches high and is a close fit to the tips. I noticed that most cars have a lot of clearance around the tips to allow for manufacturing tolerances.but I found that 1/4 inch was plenty since the mufflers don't vibrate much.
Also, the tips protrude a bit more that you would expect on an Acura but about the same as you would see on a British or Italian touring car. After making the cutout and raising the tips, they protrude about 1 1/2 inches . Raising the cutout further would allow them to protrude a little less. There is not much you can do to shorten the inlet pipe since the bolts are near the end of the pipe. The alternative would be to cut the pipe after the bolts and weld the tip to the exhaust pipe.
No photo today because it's raining.

Ranger
Ranger, kind reminder if you could post some updated pics of the exhaust tips after you modified the bumper, Thanks
Old 01-13-2017, 04:15 PM
ranger

Exhaust Tips

As requested, here are some more photos of the tips on my TLX. I may eventually enlarge the cutouts to raise them another inch. We'll see.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Tips?