Navtool install

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 11:02 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navtool install

Started on the passenger side first just pop up the clip

this is what it look like

then just pop this up next to all this button.. I used a credit card side it under to pop it up

then I pop the other panel on the driver

all this just being hold down by a few clip on each end I used a screw driver to pop it up

same for this side stick the screw driver on the bottom and pop it up

this what is look like

again

same here

I popped this panel with my credit card

this is right underneath the head unit pop it with a credit card also

unscrew all the screw you see holding the head unit

unplug all the connector from that box

this is right underneath the head unit I think it was a 8 mm bothside. this is what hold the unit down

I popped this with a credit card

I just popped it out with my screw driver

this is what is look like

unscrew the two screw you can just pull the screen out four clips on each corner

removed the head unit

this is the 24 pin connector

this is the 16 jog 18 pin connector

Old 07-15-2016, 11:19 AM
10th Gear

Old 07-15-2016, 07:12 PM
Rae Ray

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
Wow! great job.
Haven't seen the TLX taken apart this way yet. I would had been scared to shit poppin off those clips fearing I would break a clip.

Is this your TLX? Or are you demonstrating on one?

Last edited by Rae Rad; 07-15-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:25 PM
10th Gear

Yes this is my TLX I did a install last night.. Thanks
Old 07-15-2016, 07:29 PM
Rae Ray

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
Thats awesome. Enjoy!
Old 07-15-2016, 09:20 PM
6th Gear

which part of the console did you get the lightning\usb cable out ? Drill any new holes ?
Old 07-15-2016, 09:50 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Great pics and notes - Thanks!

Did you take any pictures of where you mounted the NavTool module? Where/how did you route the HMDI and audio cables for the mirroring function? Were all of the connectors plug compatible or was there any splicing required?
Old 07-16-2016, 11:38 AM
10th Gear

you gonna have to tap this cut end into the 24pin harness and 18 pin harness

there is alot of room you can place the box hiddin done down there.

Im thinking of velcroing the box back inside there all the wires will be tuck inside there also. But I havent decide yet. still left that uncover.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HieuTLX
you gonna have to tap this cut end into the 24pin harness and 18 pin harness
Interesting...this was (and continues to be on their website) marketed as "100% plug and play, no wire cutting required".

Did you use T-taps to connect to the OEM harness wires?
Old 07-16-2016, 03:58 PM
10th Gear

This cut end of the wire

I just tap it in and use electrical tap as you can see..

Originally Posted by djsteve
Interesting...this was (and continues to be on their website) marketed as "100% plug and play, no wire cutting required".

Did you use T-taps to connect to the OEM harness wires?
Old 07-18-2016, 05:15 PM
Intermediate

Hello, congrats on your install. Thanks for the pictures and instructions. I am trying to install this unit in my car. I am a bit confused on the 2 small harness (one connecting to the screen and the other connecting to radio/navi). Is one of the factory harness would be not connected to anything?

I am familiar to the other navtool where the harnesses would be piggybacked in to the navi.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:49 PM
6th Gear

Are you guys getting audio through hdmi too? If yes, what's the audio source selected on the radio?
i'm not getting audio through hdmi and getting audio lag when routing via Bluetooth
Old 07-19-2016, 07:54 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gbzygil
Are you guys getting audio through hdmi too? If yes, what's the audio source selected on the radio?
i'm not getting audio through hdmi and getting audio lag when routing via Bluetooth
The module interface should be connect through rca to 3.5 mm jack. The labels on the rca (the 2 rca by themselves) are labeled wrong for the audio I believe. Video output would be left signal and video input would be right signal. Connect the 3.5 mm jack to the aux port and select aux in the car input. Hope that helps.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:48 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by gbzygil

No Im not getting audio through hdmi from the ptv3000 just bluetooth.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:51 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by TISIXER
Hello, congrats on your install. Thanks for the pictures and instructions. I am trying to install this unit in my car. I am a bit confused on the 2 small harness (one connecting to the screen and the other connecting to radio/navi). Is one of the factory harness would be not connected to anything?

I am familiar to the other navtool where the harnesses would be piggybacked in to the navi.
the two long connector one plug into the touch screen and the other plug into the big screen above the touch screen from the navtool box. and leave the factory plug unplug
Old 07-20-2016, 09:55 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by TISIXER

leave the factory connector unplug
Old 01-14-2018, 10:51 AM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey, bringing this back from the dead. I have a Naviks unit I’m trying to install and I’m trying to remove the headunit however I can’t seem to reach these two bolts I think I have the right ones. What did you use? Was it difficult to remove them? Anyone else have experience removing the head unit on the TLX?
Old 01-14-2018, 10:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by idelgado782
Hey, bringing this back from the dead. I have a Naviks unit I’m trying to install and I’m trying to remove the headunit however I can’t seem to reach these two bolts I think I have the right ones. What did you use? Was it difficult to remove them? Anyone else have experience removing the head unit on the TLX?
As I recall they are difficult to see - under the radio and facing upward towards the dash. You’ll need to use a ratcheting socket wrench with an extension arm.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:16 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Hi, I plan to DIY too with Navik since they said no wiring tapping or cut like Navtool. NavTool I need to tap for factory wire for power. The Navik is pure plug&play. If you don't mind, can you take pictures of your installation including wiring plunging. And please comment how you like or not like.

Thanks,
Old 02-13-2018, 03:47 PM
Racer

Would anyone know if the headunit and iMid a one piece or it's 2 separate unit?
Old 02-14-2018, 05:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by know610
Hi, I plan to DIY too with Navik since they said no wiring tapping or cut like Navtool. NavTool I need to tap for factory wire for power. The Navik is pure plug&play. If you don't mind, can you take pictures of your installation including wiring plunging. And please comment how you like or not like.

Thanks,
hi sorry for the super late reply. I never received notifications that someone posted back in the thread to my comment. I’ve had the naviks unit for about a year and a half and I’m very happy with it. I didn’t take pictures from the actual wiring but I placed the unit under the center console. Here are pics of what I do have.

The two grey plugs and the dark grey/Black one that doesn’t have anything connected to it are the ones that will be used with the naviks.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:37 AM
Instructor

Would anyone know if the headunit and iMid a one piece or it's 2 separate unit?
what is the iMid? Maybe my pictures above will help? Also Im selling a navtool unit in the marketplace if you haven’t bought one yet. Please send me a PM if interested.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:15 AM
Racer

what is the iMid? Maybe my pictures above will help? Also Im selling a navtool unit in the marketplace if you haven’t bought one yet. Please send me a PM if interested.
Thank you for replying and especially with pictures.

Sorry I think I said it wrong about iMid. What I meant was the top screen where u display video. Based on your picture, seem like you didn’t remove it.

Please see pictures I circle in red.
1) do you need to remove those?
2) How do you route your 3.5mm RCA? Do you drill a hole and route inside?
3) I’m not sure if you use iPhone/iPad, where do u route lighting cable?
4) For the second picture, are those the gray and dark gray wire you were referring to for hooking to Naviks?
5) Do you need to do anything to Naviks device before and after the installation?

thanks for letting me know about NavTool in the market, I think I like naviks more because no wire tapping.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:06 AM
Racer

forgot to attach pictures.

Is this the only device you buy? Seem like your wireless streaming. Could you please provide what you put in with Naviks. Thanks
2015 - 2017 Acura TLX HDMI Video Integration Interface (Item #: Acura-NHVi-TLX)

Have you try hooking to FireTV Stick?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Navtool install-01aa.jpg   Navtool install-02aaa.jpg  

Last edited by know610; 02-14-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:40 PM
Instructor

You don’t remove the top screen. That stays in place. I removed everything else you circled. You need panel removed tools and an 8mm socket.

Yes I drilled a hole directly next to the aux port and routed it from the Naviks under the center console through the hole. I can grab a picture if you like.

I hacked a 4th gen Apple TV to run off of dc power use AirPlay to send the signal wirelessly from my phone. Eliminates the need for the lightning cable.

Yes those dark grey cables are coming from the back of the Naviks. It’s a Y cable. So you take out the cable from the back of the head unit, plug it into one side of the cable and then the other end of the Y cable goes to the back of the head unit.

Nothing needs to be done before or after install of Naviks.

I have ave used a Firestock, Roku, Chromecast, Appletv as well as the lightning cable. You just need to decide what you be using as your source. At one point I also used an hdmi splitter and had both the chromecast and appletv connected at the same time.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:53 PM
Racer

You don’t remove the top screen. That stays in place. I removed everything else you circled. You need panel removed tools and an 8mm socket.

Yes I drilled a hole directly next to the aux port and routed it from the Naviks under the center console through the hole. I can grab a picture if you like.

I hacked a 4th gen Apple TV to run off of dc power use AirPlay to send the signal wirelessly from my phone. Eliminates the need for the lightning cable.

Yes those dark grey cables are coming from the back of the Naviks. It’s a Y cable. So you take out the cable from the back of the head unit, plug it into one side of the cable and then the other end of the Y cable goes to the back of the head unit.

I have ave used a Firestock, Roku, Chromecast, Appletv as well as the lightning cable. You just need to decide what you be using as your source. At one point I also used an hdmi splitter and had both the chromecast and appletv connected at the same time.
Thank You. I manage to remove headunit last Saturday just to see how hard/easy it is. So far so good. I can't unscrew the 8mm because maybe I didn't remove the part under the headunit. However I manage to run RCA already. I didn't drill hole. I unplug and pull off from the center component. Now the center component don't have AUX. I order another and will put it in just to cover the hole but will not connect to anything.

Do you buy navik wireless too for your AppleTV? You think u can take picture how you run appletv to dc power? I would like to learn too.. Currently, I have portable battery hardwired for dashcam, cellink B.

Last edited by know610; 02-18-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:17 PM
Racer

Do you need to jailbreak AppleTV? I saw ebay sell USB Power Supply Module for appletv.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:01 AM
Racer

See picture in red box, I guess I need to remove that part so I can access 8mm more ez. I didn't remove that component and when inserting 8mm, it was off a little because it stuck with the component to prevent me from going lower.

Anyway, here is the picture of how I put AUX. That hole will be replace with OEM AUX ( Part # 39112-TR0-A51, JACK ASSY., AUX IN. ) and will not connect to anything. Just for covering the hole.

Another question, I havce FireTv stick. Do I need to buy anything else for fireTv stick to work with Navik? Or, I need to get this too https://naviks.com/i-24076035-wirele...tegory:1136681 ?

Oh, how was the wireless audio when using map apple, google map, or waze? Is the audio off sync?
Attached Thumbnails Navtool install-cons.jpg   Navtool install-auv.jpg  

Last edited by know610; 02-19-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:27 AM
Racer

AppleTV modded for dc power
Old 02-19-2018, 09:48 AM
Racer

Is this all I need for AppleTV DC power, https://www.ebay.com/itm/122333123212 ?

Then run wire to accessory (switch fuse) with add-a-fuse?
Attached Thumbnails Navtool install-tv.jpg  
Old 02-20-2018, 06:02 AM
Instructor

Is this all I need for AppleTV DC power, https://www.ebay.com/itm/122333123212 ?

Then run wire to accessory (switch fuse) with add-a-fuse?

nothing else is needed for the firestick. You just need to setup WiFi in the car. You can use your phone as a hotspot.

i followed this thread exactly like the OP posted in his pics and removed everything he said too which includes the piece you didn’t remove.

that piece for the Apple TV isn’t needed. There’s a much simpler way using just cables. There’s a few videos. I followed this one specifically

Old 02-20-2018, 06:27 AM
Racer

nothing else is needed for the firestick. You just need to setup WiFi in the car. You can use your phone as a hotspot.

i followed this thread exactly like the OP posted in his pics and removed everything he said too which includes the piece you didn’t remove.

that piece for the Apple TV isn’t needed. There’s a much simpler way using just cables. There’s a few videos. I followed this one specifically
https://youtu.be/cao5UahhN6o
just to understand. To hook firetv stick or appleTV, all I need is Naviks interface. I don’t need Naviks wireless device that they sold for $140 to $170?

1) how do I connect firetv since it’s hdmi? Does that mean I need to plug/unplug if I want to use either iPhone or firetv?

2) what is the benefit of using AppleTV?

3) I like your setup with appleTV, please list item u buy to make it works including naviks.

Thank you.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:22 AM
Racer

So basically the AppleTv youtube you posted, he just use the same board and flip. the rest just drill and wire run. Look easy and no need to buy any part. Do you hardwired to car ACC fuse or you did like him? I guess I will go with AppleTV.

I just don't understand how you connect between "Navik 2015 - 2017 Acura TLX HDMI Video Integration Interface" to ApplleTV ?
Without appleTv, Navik Acura TLX HDMI Video Integration Interface run hdmi cable to Apple AV adapter then connect to iPhone with lighting cable. How you do when adding AppleTV?
Old 02-20-2018, 10:24 AM
Racer

just to understand. To hook firetv stick or appleTV, all I need is Naviks interface. I don’t need Naviks wireless device that they sold for $140 to $170?

1) how do I connect firetv since it’s hdmi? Does that mean I need to plug/unplug if I want to use either iPhone or firetv?

2) what is the benefit of using AppleTV?

3) I like your setup with appleTV, please list item u buy to make it works including naviks.

Thank you.
So basically the AppleTv youtube you posted, he just use the same board and flip. the rest just drill and wire run. Look easy and no need to buy any part. Do you hardwired to car ACC fuse or you did like him? I guess I will go with AppleTV.

I just don't understand how you connect between "Navik 2015 - 2017 Acura TLX HDMI Video Integration Interface" to ApplleTV ?
Without appleTv, Navik Acura TLX HDMI Video Integration Interface run hdmi cable to Apple AV adapter then connect to iPhone with lighting cable. How you do when adding AppleTV?
What do you think? This way I can unplug/plug if I want to use at home.

18awg to AppleTV board and 16awg to car cig lighter.. Is it ok if awg different size? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Navtool install-appletv.jpg  
Old 02-21-2018, 06:11 AM
Instructor

i hard wired a cigarette light female plug to a fuse, then plugged the Apple TV into that. It’s pretty straight forward honestly. Think of it just like a TV. You can connect anything with HDMI into your tv and select the source, the image shows up on your tv. That is why now with iPhone I’m usung the Apple TV. I started in a previous post that you can also use an HDMI splitter if you want to have multiple hdmi sources connected to use. If you use an Apple TV and can send the iPhone signal WIRELESSLY to it. No need to hook up cables. I kind of mentioned this a few times in other posts as well. You should definitely research how you want to do this first before you even attempt the naviks unit. Taking apart your car isn’t for the faint at heart and you have to be prepared on how to route the wires and get your unit powered and ready to go.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:56 AM
Racer

i hard wired a cigarette light female plug to a fuse, then plugged the Apple TV into that. It’s pretty straight forward honestly. Think of it just like a TV. You can connect anything with HDMI into your tv and select the source, the image shows up on your tv. That is why now with iPhone I’m usung the Apple TV. I started in a previous post that you can also use an HDMI splitter if you want to have multiple hdmi sources connected to use. If you use an Apple TV and can send the iPhone signal WIRELESSLY to it. No need to hook up cables. I kind of mentioned this a few times in other posts as well. You should definitely research how you want to do this first before you even attempt the naviks unit. Taking apart your car isn’t for the faint at heart and you have to be prepared on how to route the wires and get your unit powered and ready to go.
Since the wires is about 6.5ft, I plan to put AppleTV in the passenger glove box. I have remove glove box before for TLX so I have no problem in that. I plan to run wire this wken if weather is warm. I'm going to do like the picture I posted on previous thread instead of hardwired to OEM wire. Just in case I need to take AppleTV for home usage. Sorry, I just don't understand how AppleTV mirror to TLX Upper screen. My TLX do not have factory HDMI port.

Say I already have ATV power up and all good in car set. Since my car do not have HDMI port, is this where Naviks' interface come to play? Does that mean I need to get HDMI splitter? Please see my drawing if that's how it works. Yes I would like to do wireless and also have an option to plug lighting iPhone just in case audio sync wasn't as good. Thank you for keep up with me how on to do this. Or I can do like picture #2, Navik hdmi to ATV hdmi port..
Attached Thumbnails Navtool install-dig.jpg   Navtool install-dig2.jpg  

Last edited by know610; 02-21-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:36 AM
Racer

First picture is wrong. see this one
Attached Thumbnails Navtool install-dig.jpg  

Last edited by know610; 02-21-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:33 AM
Instructor

Maybe you need to understand how the naviks works. You don’t need a splitter. And your car does not need HDMI. Neither does mines. The naviks sends the picture to your car. So you plug in anything with HDMI to the naviks. The naviks is the sending the signal to the top monitor.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:36 AM
Instructor

Maybe you need to understand how the naviks works. You don’t need a splitter. And your car does not need HDMI. Neither does mines. The naviks sends the picture to your car. So you plug in anything with HDMI to the naviks. The naviks is the sending the signal to the top monitor.
what else would you use the naviks for then? As I stated in my previous post you should do all of your research before you take apart your car. Or maybe have some professionally install it for you. I’ve answered the same question a few times already, which worries me that when you take your car apart it’s going to be an even bigger mess.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:31 AM
Racer

what else would you use the naviks for then? As I stated in my previous post you should do all of your research before you take apart your car. Or maybe have some professionally install it for you. I’ve answered the same question a few times already, which worries me that when you take your car apart it’s going to be an even bigger mess.
Yes, I do not understand how Naviks video interface work. Now that you explain how it works, I felt comfortable in installing it. Maybe I label questions incorrectly. I thought Naviks required to have Apple AV adapter even with AppleTV attached in order to send signal to TLX top screen. Since I got Apple AV as a gift, I think I will still hook it so I can use for charging. I will let you know the result. I still think where I would put ATV at for easy access. Where do you place your ATV? Will at trunk too far for hotspot?

Thank you sir.

Quick Reply: Navtool install