iDataLink remote start module

Old 02-11-2016, 07:53 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
iDataLink remote start module

Wonder if anyone is familiar with this product and/or have installed it before?
I came across this as an alternative to purchasing the factory remote starter. However, I only notice the 2.4L listed on the website. Contacted sales and they said they're still working on a module for the V6.
So in the meantime, would just like some inputs or thoughts if anyone here has used this before, whether on the TLX or any car.

http://www.idatalink.com/product/product/product_id/1
Old 02-11-2016, 08:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had experience with idatalink products. Not the module for the TLX but for a previous 10' Ford Fusion Hybrid I previously owned. After reading the product description, I contacted the seller of the product regarding installation because it seemed too easy. I then contacted idatalink directly to confirm; Both stated emphatically that the unit was completely plug and play with the included harness. They also both stated unequivocally that no additional parts would be needed.

Well, the installation was anything but plug and play. I am a former electrical engineer who worked for a good deal of time in the automotive industry and am currently the proprietor of an auto body shop, a euro car repair shop and a detail center. Needless to say, I have extensive experience with automobiles and more knowledge regarding vehicle wiring and electronics than any one person should have. It took 3 weeks, two uninstalls, a replacement shipment, a correction and an addition to the wiring diagram, at least 12 hours worth of phone calls including one from a Chinese engineer that had to be translated and an order for a cable that wasn't included (read above) in order to get this pre-configured, plug and play, all parts included system installed.

Given the Acura system actually seems simple to install, looks to be plug and play, with possibly a quick trip for programming, I'd say pass on the idatalink and get the gen accessory.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dochere2
I've had experience with idatalink products. Not the module for the TLX but for a previous 10' Ford Fusion Hybrid I previously owned. After reading the product description, I contacted the seller of the product regarding installation because it seemed too easy. I then contacted idatalink directly to confirm; Both stated emphatically that the unit was completely plug and play with the included harness. They also both stated unequivocally that no additional parts would be needed.

Well, the installation was anything but plug and play. I am a former electrical engineer who worked for a good deal of time in the automotive industry and am currently the proprietor of an auto body shop, a euro car repair shop and a detail center. Needless to say, I have extensive experience with automobiles and more knowledge regarding vehicle wiring and electronics than any one person should have. It took 3 weeks, two uninstalls, a replacement shipment, a correction and an addition to the wiring diagram, at least 12 hours worth of phone calls including one from a Chinese engineer that had to be translated and an order for a cable that wasn't included (read above) in order to get this pre-configured, plug and play, all parts included system installed.

Given the Acura system actually seems simple to install, looks to be plug and play, with possibly a quick trip for programming, I'd say pass on the idatalink and get the gen accessory.
Good insight on the product! Thanks! And yes the website makes it seem like a simple installation. Glad to have heard from someone who has had experience with this.
BTW I'm an electrical engineer as well!
Old 02-12-2016, 07:33 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I installed the TLX factory remote start myself like 3 weeks ago... It's not hard in the least bit. Probably 1 hour of work in total.. Back seat bottom gets removed, the shoulder bolster on the passenger side is next and then its just mount the unit and plug in the wires that are already back there for remote start.

The unit is great, no complaints at all and can start my car from my desk at work, 300 feet away. You WILL need to get the new key fobs programmed to your car though.. My dealership did it for $69.99 in half an hour. Easy as that.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
^Yes. Both the drivers and new passenger key fob will need reprogramming, not just the new passenger remote start fob.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:06 AM
Instructor

Awesome. Thanks for the tip guys. I probably will just order the factory remote....should have just got it when I bought the car but it is what it is.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:16 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kongx7
Awesome. Thanks for the tip guys. I probably will just order the factory remote....should have just got it when I bought the car but it is what it is.
If you are mechanically inclined and think you can handle the easy install (it comes with the step-by-step instructions).. You can buy it through this EBAY link for 120 bucks less than Acura will charge you. Best part is it ships from an Acura dealership in NY:

Genuine Acura 2015 2016 TLX Remote Engine Start Kit 38015 TZ3 A10 | eBay
The following users liked this post:
Dochere2 (02-13-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 01:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikeyk24
If you are mechanically inclined and think you can handle the easy install (it comes with the step-by-step instructions).. You can buy it through this EBAY link for 120 bucks less than Acura will charge you. Best part is it ships from an Acura dealership in NY:

Genuine Acura 2015 2016 TLX Remote Engine Start Kit 38015 TZ3 A10 | eBay
Thanks. Looks simple enough to do myself. Just gotta take the keys into the dealership for them to program once it's installed...that's what I read somewhere else on this forum.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Some of the comments here are funny to me. I'm a 26 year old kid with a 2 year degree in auto mechanics who has worked as an installer for Best Buy for 5 years now and I do remote starts with ADS modules in probably 25 newer Acuras per year in less than 3 hours each, including my own 2015 TLX. yet these electrical engineers took 3 weeks and say it's too complicated . why not just pay a professional to do it since you don't know how? It's worth it and I promise you'll be happy that you remote start your car from 2 blocks away unlike the shitty factory ones where you have to be 15 feet or less. aftermarket is much better.