Apple CarPlay and Android Audio

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Apple CarPlay and Android Audio

I know this is probably just wishful thinking, but if Kia (Kia!!) can do this retroactively for their '14+ vehicles, why not Acura?

Link:
KIA MOTORS AMERICA EXPANDS OFFER OF FREE APPLE CARPLAYŽ AND ANDROID AUTO? SOFTWARE UPDATES TO GROWING LINE OF VEHICLES
Old 12-15-2016, 10:57 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry, I don't mean to res an old thread, but I think this is encouraging. In light of the slumping sales figures (which explains the remarkable price drop I got 2 weeks ago), and given that CarPlay is in Accord and other Honda vehicles, this gives me hope...

Acura has done a few things to "improve client satisfaction" before, and perhaps this will be next. My question would, however, how do they deal with things like the heated/ventilated seats since those don't have physical buttons? Is there a method in CarPlay to include all those functions? If so, I'd say this is a real possibility. If not, it's never gonna happen.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:09 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
CarPlay and Android Audio are physical and user interface specifications which are integrated into a car's head unit, not a replacement of it. Typically while in use it consumes most or all of the touchscreen area, but there is always a way to minimize or exit back to the "standard" UI.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Ok, so it's technically feasible. The only question is whether the hardware in the car can handle the programs. I know it doesn't seem like much, but I find the processor/response in car to be slightly sluggish. I'm not sure it could handle more, and I doubt Apple would want someone to see their software running slowly.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:49 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably more a matter of licensing and the software capabilities of the infortainment system, rather than processor speed. Not at all likely, in my opinion.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:49 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Acura is just not that kind of car company. They barely fix things that are wrong with the car, they are not going to retroactively add a feature like this. Even if the underlying hardware supported it which I highly doubt it would.
The following users liked this post:
VR1 (12-21-2016)