Alternative to NavTool?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 07:32 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Alternative to NavTool?

For those few who may not be familiar, NavTool was a promised interface allowing any device with an HDMI output to be displayed on the main (top) display of the TLX along with audio output that could be routed to the aux input of the radio. It also promised to have multiple, switchable camera inputs. The product was promised for an imminent release for over a year, and many forum users sent money in advance to receive one. It is not clear if anyone actually received a working unit, as the threads were shut down due to continued scam-like behavior from the vendor.

I was extremely interested in seeing this product actually become a working reality despite all of the evidence to the contrary. Thankfully I did not advance any money, but I was ready and willing to do so if NavTool actually shipped a working product. Sadly this seems to have never happened.

Now that some time has passed since the whole NavTool debacle, does anyone know of an alternate solution to provide the same functionality? I am most interested in the capability of displaying HDMI input onto the monitor(along with audio through the radio), and controlling the switching on/off of this display using the built-in controls of the radio unit (something that was promised by NavTool). I am not interested in having an external switch that would have to be mounted and actuated to get the video to display.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:38 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
They did ship a few and one or two members have installed them. I pretty much gave up on the company because of their unethical practices. Someone did post something about another company that had a similar product in the NavTool thread but I don't recall what the name was.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:54 PM
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let me share you guys about my experience about Navtool. I have ordered a Navtool from their website a few weeks ago. I got the device 1 week after the date I placed my order. I had read all negative feedbacks from our members for them about late shipping but I think it is worth to take little risk because after doing the research about video interface for our TLX, this is the best one I can find.
I did not send them any emails to ask how long my order will be shipped out their warehouse as some of guys here did. One of their representative told me it takes around one week for shipping (she also said the negative feedbacks were in the past, now it is just around 4 days for preparing shipment and 2 days shipping time). It was true in my case. UPS came by and dropped the package in my mailbox in the next week.
I followed the instruction from this guy https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-...nstall-947563/ (a big thank for HieuTLX) and everything worked perfect as expected. Great resolution display, no delay for Google map, (youtube does have 0.5 sec sound delay but not a big deal for me). You can connect your iphone -wired (by HDMI cable) or wireless for android phones (by Minecast module or Chromecast - like I using now). I also ordered a waterproof camera and attached it to the module for front camera (will be active automatically after the reverse and stay on your screen up to 10 MPH or you can turn it on anytime by holding the Back button for 3 secs ). Really happy with the purchase

p/s : before hitting the Place order button, make sure you google around for the discount code from Navtool. I got 10% discount code from a post in Corvette forum (as I remember). It said $60 off but when I applied it, I just got $30 off (10%) for the module. It is still a pretty good deal for me.

Let me know if you guys need some pics of my set up. I am willing to help you all.
The following users liked this post:
djsteve (12-07-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
1st post...
Old 12-05-2016, 05:24 PM
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is what I got from Navtool.

front camera
google maps is on the screen
some music from Youtube
sorry for the mess
djsteve (12-07-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 08:21 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Navtool was outright horrible in their dealing with the group buy and they were banned by moderators this year for deceptive practices. I wouldn't put my money down on them even if they sold it at half the advertised price. the price also fluctuated a lot over the years i've checked their website. would go from $600 (slashed to 300) and another month would be $300 (slashed to 180).

Around the same time I contacted Navtool I also contacted Naviks but they still were looking for a TLX to test their module on. They did have one for MDX's so I recommended it to an owner in this forum and he seemed happy with the results. I check Naviks site now and then to see if a TLX module is out but probably the best bet would be contacting them directly.

Last edited by baelim; 12-08-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:33 PM
Instructor

So I decided to move past my hesitations and skepticism, and take a chance. I ordered last night and as of today have a shipping confirmation and UPS tracking number. I will post of my success (or regrets) once it arrives.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:16 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by djsteve
So I decided to move past my hesitations and skepticism, and take a chance. I ordered last night and as of today have a shipping confirmation and UPS tracking number. I will post of my success (or regrets) once it arrives.
Any updates? How did it go?
Old 01-24-2017, 05:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Really want something like this for my TLX, but after the whole debacle I don't know if I can trust NavTool. That's a significant chunk of money to send a company and not be 100% sure I'll be getting the product.

They really screwed it up for themselves by how they handled the group by and how poorly they handled any communications with customers and potential customers.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:57 PM
Racer

check Naviks. they've had a module for the MDX for some time and now they're requesting a call for the TLX.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by baelim
check Naviks. they've had a module for the MDX for some time and now they're requesting a call for the TLX.
I found this: Naviks Wireless Smartphone Mirror Interface (HDMI Out or AV Out) (Android, iPhone Compatible) (Youtube) (iOS 10 Compatible) + http://naviks.com/i-21863523-naviks-...tegory:1136681
Old 02-09-2017, 09:22 AM
Racer

I dealt with Navtool and they're just crooks. I waited nearly a year for their product and in the end had to call them multiple times to even get my refund. Long story short I went through my Amex to get my money back and even then these fuckers tried to charge my cc again so had to block them altogether. The group buy in stories should be enough to tell you to stay the fuck away. I hear that some after the mass exodus started to happen Navtool started to dispute the refunds. Needless to say Navtool can't do group buys in this forum anymore and they've lost vendor privileges in other sites too (Lexus and Corvette if I recall).

Anyhow my frustrations got me to search hard for an alternative and got me two hits: Axxess and Naviks.
2016 TLX
https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AXI-RGB3

Axxess is owned by Metra and they've been in the business for a long time. Their very complicated AXI-RGB3 though is not TLX compatible nor it has been for a while.
I contacted Naviks last year and they asked me if I could drive up to NYC to test it and make a video for a discount on the module and install. Fairly sure it would work since it works on the MDX but didn't have the time to make the 5+ hour drive.

I check them both periodically but this mod has taken a back seat with me going back to grad school after 10 years and my wife and i planning for kids. You're welcome to pick up where I left off. Based on my talks with Naviks I trust them enough to stand behind their stuff. Navtool just stay the hell away.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:55 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by baelim
I dealt with Navtool and they're just crooks. I waited nearly a year for their product and in the end had to call them multiple times to even get my refund. Long story short I went through my Amex to get my money back and even then these fuckers tried to charge my cc again so had to block them altogether. The group buy in stories should be enough to tell you to stay the fuck away. I hear that some after the mass exodus started to happen Navtool started to dispute the refunds. Needless to say Navtool can't do group buys in this forum anymore and they've lost vendor privileges in other sites too (Lexus and Corvette if I recall).

Anyhow my frustrations got me to search hard for an alternative and got me two hits: Axxess and Naviks.
2016 TLX
https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AXI-RGB3

Axxess is owned by Metra and they've been in the business for a long time. Their very complicated AXI-RGB3 though is not TLX compatible nor it has been for a while.
I contacted Naviks last year and they asked me if I could drive up to NYC to test it and make a video for a discount on the module and install. Fairly sure it would work since it works on the MDX but didn't have the time to make the 5+ hour drive.

I check them both periodically but this mod has taken a back seat with me going back to grad school after 10 years and my wife and i planning for kids. You're welcome to pick up where I left off. Based on my talks with Naviks I trust them enough to stand behind their stuff. Navtool just stay the hell away.
So just for $#it$ and grins I looked at their web site again. For some strange reason they have a link to the BBB web site. When you click on it, it does not take you to the BBB, it says this instead..

"Sorry we can't show you our BBB rating because we don't believe that we have to pay for reviews. please watch ABC investigation.

The Better Business Bureau is not affiliated with any governmental agency. It is
financially supported solely by accredited businesses across North America.

No other company in North America charges for reviews.

BBB offered us an accreditation for $1856 per year - we asked our employees if we should pay that? they said no. So we took that amount and spent it on employee appreciation party."

Classis NavTool response. But of course you can look them up yourself.

https://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/bu...and-ny-128020/

I'll save you the trouble, they get an F.
NoviTheSovi (03-22-2020)
Old 02-15-2017, 09:34 PM
Instructor

That is amazing. Unfortunately I know a few people with that attitude...
Old 02-25-2017, 11:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adoniram
Any updates? How did it go?
First off, apologies to all for the delay in this response. No excuses, really - just life getting in the way. Here's a overview of my experience after taking a chance and ordering. for the TL;DR crowd, I'm happy with the unit. Your mileage may vary

So, as stated I've been following the NavTool saga since the very beginning, barely talking myself out of being a member of the original group buy (a decision I'm glad of). That was a fiasco for everyone involved and I totally feel their pain. Eventually, though, I started to see some success stories, and the helpful replies by huutuan1188 in this thread convinced me to take a chance and order.

I received the unit within a week from ordering. Like others, it was received in a padded envelope with the module, some cables, and a set of photocopied instructions. The module and cables are well constructed and surprised me in their quality. The instructions, however, are abysmal. They are not well written, confusing (I'm an electrical engineer, by the way) and in several areas flat wrong. Like huutuan1188, I suggest paying attention to the pictures and instructions provided here by another user: https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-a...nstall-947563/.

I use the unit exclusively for mirroring of my iPhone, and don't use any extra cameras Here is my list of pros and cons after install:

PROS:
- good construction
- works as advertised for the most part (see cons)
- good video mirroring quality
- analog audio output is in-sync with video
- switching top display between normal and mirror mode is done using existing radio button (hold the 'back' button 2 seconds)
- continues to support momentary switch to backup camera even when in mirroring mode (usually, see cons)

CONS:
- install instructions are terrible. You're really on your own here and it is not a lightweight job.
- Left/Right analog audio output jacks are mislabeled on the cables as video in and out.
- Despite claims of "plug n' play" installation, you are required to T-tap into two OEM wires (CAN bus +/- signals). To make matters worse here, the wire colors were wrong in the instructions.
- 'Back' button switch works about 80% of the time correctly, but sometimes switches right back to the former mode. May be over sensitivity to the time held in.
- Temporary switch to backup camera when shifting to reverse while mirroring works about 80% of the time, otherwise just keeps mirroring.
- Very faint bleed through of digital noise from the circuit board in the analog outputs, however most times can't be heard.
- I never realized how much I glance at the top monitor for the clock. When mirroring the clock is of course replaced and I miss it.

Here are a few photos:

View of chosen install location from top. I placed the module and wiring underneath and to the front of the transmission controls.

View of install location from the front. Note that the USB port supplies power for charging my iPhone, passing it through the lightning-to-HDMI adapter.

Using a lightning extender cable (be sure to get one which passes ALL the pins, as most cheap ones do not) I brought the HDMI to phone connection through and into the "ashtray" cubby in front of the transmission controls. Using a similar method I passed the
analog audio output into the center console for connection to the aux in jack.

Sharknado 4 mirroring on the top monitor.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:44 PM
Racer

2015 - 2016 Acura TLX HDMI Video Interface

Looks like Naviks finally has it's module ready for the TLX.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:54 PM
Instructor

Looks decent, and appears to use the same technique that the NavTool unit does - namely intercept the video feed from the head unit to the top screen and relay switch between the head unit source and the mirrored smartphone/camera inputs. Audio is similarly routed via analog line-level output to an available head unit aux input (in the center console in our car's case).

unfortunately it does not appear to integrate the input switching from the head unit's CAN bus signaling like the NavTool does, and instead requires an externally mounted toggle switch. This is one of the slickest aspects of the NavTool interface in my opinion, allowing the user to hold the OEM 'back' button and use the rotary knob to switch inputs, and it works pretty well in my experience. I prefer a cleaner install and would not want to have to mount an accessible switch in the cabin.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:19 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by djsteve
Looks decent, and appears to use the same technique that the NavTool unit does - namely intercept the video feed from the head unit to the top screen and relay switch between the head unit source and the mirrored smartphone/camera inputs. Audio is similarly routed via analog line-level output to an available head unit aux input (in the center console in our car's case).

unfortunately it does not appear to integrate the input switching from the head unit's CAN bus signaling like the NavTool does, and instead requires an externally mounted toggle switch. This is one of the slickest aspects of the NavTool interface in my opinion, allowing the user to hold the OEM 'back' button and use the rotary knob to switch inputs, and it works pretty well in my experience. I prefer a cleaner install and would not want to have to mount an accessible switch in the cabin.
When you hold the back button you get an oem menu of inputs to select from?

Also can audio go directly through the lightning port? Can it also charge the phone while doing so? The stupid iPhone 7 doesnt have a headphone jack because "future"....

Also how did you know which wire's to splice? Was there an image of that?

Thank you!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:19 PM
Instructor

See answers inline below:
When you hold the back button you get an oem menu of inputs to select from? The back button switches the top monitor between normal mode and showing what is connected to the NavTool unit. While displaying the NavTool inputs, you can press the settings button and then turn the rotary knob to switch between camera inputs. The selection menu is shown on the display.

Also can audio go directly through the lightning port? Yes, that is the way it works. Lighting to Apple HDMI adapter (purchased separately), HDMI to NavTool, NavTool audio out to radio auxiliary input.

Can it also charge the phone while doing so? Yes, the Apple HDMI adapter passes video and audio while also supplying power via a second lighting port. The NavTool unit has a USB port which can power this with a standard lightning cable.

Also how did you know which wire's to splice? Was there an image of that? The poorly written manual calls out the wires with the wrong colors, but does correctly identify them by pin number on the radio connector. As long as you're careful to follow the pin numbers you'll be OK.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:06 PM
BANNED

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
“Back in 2015 I was under impression that NavTool was bit expensive for my TL” I decided to save money this time around.

Do not buy Naviks or similar junk. In 2018 only NavTool interfaces work as described.

Naviks red flag that I have clearly missed is that they have no reviews or only few positive reviews, either they have no customers or they are not real. Even world’s top brand such as Apple have plenty negative reviews. I should have never wasted time with Naviks or China. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Here is my journey, I purchased an interface from eBay straight out of China. Order Arrived almost 4 weeks late with no manuals and no tech support whatsoever. So, I took my best guess to install and it didn’t work. Lost money as eBay refused to help me and seller had refused to accept it. Nextttttttttttttt

Ordered Naviks junk, I was really surprised when I received same exact junk that I had previously received directly from China (when I ordered from eBay, eBay China=Naviks) So anyway, I went ahead and installed the Naviks interface, you guessed it right it didn’t work, but now at least I have the installation manual. Now I can go ahead and install Chinese junk using Naviks manual. That Chinese junk works except image is all pixilated. So, to summarize using Naviks manual I was only able to make Chinese interface work, but quality of the image was super low. I ended up taking it out of the car.

(I had NavTool back in 2015 but only for about a week until my car got flooded)

Next, I contacted NavTool because I’m determined to have Waze on my car screen, from NavTool website I learned that its 100% made in the USA and they been in business for a decade now.

Interesting fact About Naviks that I have learned from having a conversation with NavTool. Naviks is made up of NavTool ex-employees who decided that they want to become NavTool competitor, but unlike NavTool who designs and manufactures the product in USA, Naviks guys just bring it form China. Please don’t start telling me how iPhone is made in China, because iPhone isn’t made in China, iPhone is designed in USA, and it’s simply assembled in China out of the best components.

When I couldn’t make Naviks work, I asked a friend of mine who is an engineer to open it up and look inside. He said that Naviks stuff will never work in your car as its made from consumer grade components, and even if it works it will not last more than a couple of month due to stress automotive parts usually get, form vibration to sudden temperature changes.

After lengthy research, I have learned the following facts and purchased NavTool.

What did I learn about NavTool?
1. They are the original video interface company, and been in business since 2002
2. They are 100% made in USA
3. They are 100% automotive grade, confirmed by my friend who is an electrical engineer.
4. Technical support is 7 days a week, and US based.

These are just some facts that made me buy one, and it works in HD quality image mirroring.

I Placed an order on the NavTool website, Received it 2 days later. Installed pretty easy and it works in HD quality image.

P.S. if you do your own research you will not find any company other than NavTool that makes car video interface in USA with HD quality image. Every other brand I checked out were from China and looked china-naviks junk. It’s very sad that quality products are hard to find and market is getting flooded with low quality product and Chinese knockoffs from car electronics to household items.

If you want Naviks, order it directly form China, you will get 0 support same as with naviks , but at-least buying from China you will get it cheaper and working.

All these Chinese products are low quality and dangerous.

p.ss

Typed on smartphone please excuse grammar and typos.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:44 PM
Instructor

I'm getting the distinct impression that the above post is an attempt at advertisement from NavTool disguised as a post from a regular forum member.

See the exact same post on a Mercedes forum where the only difference is that the poster changed "TL" to "SLK" to suit the thread as appropriate:
Mercedes Benz SLK Forum - View Single Post - NAVIKS Backup Camera Interface

This seems unethical to me, and in line with other misleading tactics the people at NavTool have used in the past.

Whatever potential advantages the NavTool itself has (made in USA, higher quality components, etc) is completely undermined by the false and misleading posts here and elsewhere. I'll be shopping somewhere else, thanks.

Edit: Here's the same post on a BMW forum:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...php?p=12409580

Last edited by Adoniram; 03-18-2018 at 12:46 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Adoniram:
AnthraMetallic04 (02-09-2019), Jim2301 (02-22-2022), NoviTheSovi (03-22-2020)
Old 02-22-2022, 06:25 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What year was your TLX? I have a ILX 16 with no nav system and have been looking for a solution so I do not loose any of the car functionality. Only need to mirror my iphone.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jarrot
What year was your TLX? I have a ILX 16 with no nav system and have been looking for a solution so I do not loose any of the car functionality. Only need to mirror my iphone.
My TLX is a 2015 (AWD with Nav). After initially installing the video mirroring model I upgraded to the CarPlay/Android Auto version a couple of years ago. This new model improved the plug & play concept as it didn’t require any cable cuts or taps. The interface is still working well and I rely on it every day - it is great! I don’t understand their questionable business practices (fake reviews, rude communications etc) because they really do have a good product and if they would get out of their own way it would probably sell even better.

Last edited by djsteve; 02-22-2022 at 10:21 AM.
technocrat (02-22-2022)
Old 08-07-2023, 11:36 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This past weekend, I installed NavTool 5.0 CarPlay in my 2016 TLX. The process went pretty smoothly EXCEPT getting all the wires and the interface box itself stored in the car so we could reinstall the radio. NAVTOOL directions to not tell you anything about where to wire and store everything so you can button the car back up. Tooks hours to figure out that one! (NOTE: The interface box itself CANNOT be put behind the radio. You have to route the wire harness somewhere else if you expect everything to fit back in. In our case, we put the interface box directly under the center console. You HAVE to remove the glovebox and trim to be able to do so.). If I had more time, I'd document the install process but happy to answer any questions.