Changing door trim from chrome to black, replacing front grill

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 09:25 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Changing door trim from chrome to black, replacing front grill

So, I love the way my white TLX looks, but there's a few tweaks I think would make a major difference in appearance and impact. The front grill could use a complete removal and replacement with something that doesn't look like one giant slab of "chrome-ish" plastic, and the chrome around the windows in the doors could go to black. The former would require complete removal and painting or replacement, but the latter could theoretically be done with either paint or a vinyl laminate.

Has anyone here attempted either option? Results?
Old 12-15-2016, 10:10 AM
mk5
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts
Maybe wait 6-7 months and trade it on the MMC 2018 TLX? You just listed most of the cosmetic changes; black door trim & front grille change.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah I definitely love the new grill (if this is real and confirmed):

And maybe I'm talking to the wrong crowd here, but if my only gripes are the grill and chrome trim, I don't think it's really worth losing all that value plus buying the newest price without many incentives, just to improve a cosmetic issue...

I mean, ok, I just bought a $40k+ car, but it doesn't mean I want to buy one every year lol
Old 12-15-2016, 10:52 AM
mk5
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts
Ha - sorry, I didn't read enough to realize you just recently purchased. I only noticed that most of your cosmetic wish list was being addressed in the MMC. I haven't seen it done, but I bet
you could Plasti-dip spray the door trim chrome.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
Keep in mind that that the 'beak' as I call it protects the 4" x 6" radar pad for your CMBS. It was my understanding that Acura specifically put the radar pad directly behind the beak to pretect it from rocks and other things. I would be cautious about removing it.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:11 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Adoniram
So, I love the way my white TLX looks, but there's a few tweaks I think would make a major difference in appearance and impact. The front grill could use a complete removal and replacement with something that doesn't look like one giant slab of "chrome-ish" plastic, and the chrome around the windows in the doors could go to black. The former would require complete removal and painting or replacement, but the latter could theoretically be done with either paint or a vinyl laminate.

Has anyone here attempted either option? Results?
As far as the chrome trim, I think your best bet is to "dip" it black.