Xlr8 st-40 bbk

Old 11-24-2016, 12:26 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
Xlr8 st-40 bbk

What are your thoughts? Pros and cons? I'm on the fence on pulling the trigger. I love the trophies but they are a little high in price and may be unnecessary for a non track build. Also drilled vs slotted rotors? Input is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-25-2016, 07:23 PM
The Original Shawdy

Order placed. Thanks for your guys's thoughts
The following users liked this post:
TheMuffinMan (12-01-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 04:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
Thanks for the order! If you would like to go over anything about them or any future modifications please let me know.

Thanks,

Alex.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
Order placed. Thanks for your guys's thoughts
My thought:

Completely unnecessary and most 100% for bling factor. I'm sure they'll look good and function well though.

I'm still on stock brakes on my 350whp S2000.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:31 PM
The Original Shawdy

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
My thought:

Completely unnecessary and most 100% for bling factor. I'm sure they'll look good and function well though.

Every time I come around the city BLING BLING. We shall see how I like them.
TheMuffinMan (12-02-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 07:18 PM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. BBK will look awesome on the car. My thoughts................ Most of the stuff that we did to our 4G can be considered unnecessary but we did it anyways, mostly due to the" mod bug" , to make the car uniquely ours and to look at the end result with the satisfaction of attaining the goal in mind.

I honestly considered the BBK and still do from time to time. Just not sure if the TL is that car
carbonTSEX (12-03-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
Every time I come around the city BLING BLING. We shall see how I like them.
Admittedly, if I had money to throw around I wouldn't say no to buying a BBK. They do look awesome
carbonTSEX (12-04-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 11:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
My thought:

A common misconception with big brakes is that they just make you stop in shorter distances. While this is a major benefit it is far from the only reason to consider them.

Arguably one of the more noticeable benefits is resistance to brake fade and braking repeatability. Anyone who has experienced high speed heat-related brake fade can attest to this. A third consecutive stop from 100+ mph on stock brakes will not have nearly the same feel or even close to the same stopping distance as the first stop from 100+ mph. The alloy caliper and directional-vented two-piece rotor shed heat MUCH better than OEM cast iron calipers and one-piece non-directional vane rotors.

Another benefit is the rigidity of a non-floating multi-piston caliper. A caliper that is mounted directly to the wheel hub housing will offer brake feel that is leaps and bounds better than that of a single piston caliper that has greased sliders. The multi-pistons also ensure equal pad pressure and therefore better feel.

Lastly, as mentioned there is the fact that they look darn good.

Regards,
Justin
The following 2 users liked this post by Excelerate:
justnspace (12-02-2016), KarKraze (12-03-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 11:29 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
i like this new XLR8 rep.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
i like this new XLR8 rep.
Thank you for the kind words.

I'm actually the Sales and Service manager here at Excelerate. I have worked on cars most of my life and was a full time mechanic here for a few years. I also have a technical background from a number of industries that I have worked in.

I'm not on the forums all day every day but when I am, I'm happy to offer any insight I can.
justnspace (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 02:44 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^well, I had just gotten used to Patrick! (thus why I called you a rep)
but it doesnt hurt that you have the same name as I do.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:52 AM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
A common misconception with big brakes is that they just make you stop in shorter distances. While this is a major benefit it is far from the only reason to consider them.

Arguably one of the more noticeable benefits is resistance to brake fade and braking repeatability. Anyone who has experienced high speed heat-related brake fade can attest to this. A third consecutive stop from 100+ mph on stock brakes will not have nearly the same feel or even close to the same stopping distance as the first stop from 100+ mph. The alloy caliper and directional-vented two-piece rotor shed heat MUCH better than OEM cast iron calipers and one-piece non-directional vane rotors.

Another benefit is the rigidity of a non-floating multi-piston caliper. A caliper that is mounted directly to the wheel hub housing will offer brake feel that is leaps and bounds better than that of a single piston caliper that has greased sliders. The multi-pistons also ensure equal pad pressure and therefore better feel.

Regards,
Justin
Great post, I can personally attest to the fact that the fade on stock brakes is real. It is good for two rapid stops, on the third pray it's not an emergency.

"Carbon" , you made a solid purchase and they retain there value pretty good depending on condition. As mentioned, I thought about it several times....... Christmas is coming hmmmmm.
carbonTSEX (12-04-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 06:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Excelerate

Regards,
Justin
Oh, completely aware of their functionality - the stock S2000 caliper is fantastic even on the track. Just don't think a 2 ton TL is going to be experiencing a lot of brake fade getting to and from a grocery store. And not trying to knock the product but 99% of the applications they're strictly for looking good.

Now if only you guys made aftermarket Power Steering Control systems....that's something I could use.

(See https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-p...ailure-952083/ for the reference) Instead of $500 towards bling-brakes I've got $500 for a computer