09 TL SH-AWD Tire Suggestions

Old 11-06-2016, 09:09 PM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
09 TL SH-AWD Tire Suggestions

Hi, I'm a 2 year owner of a lightly used 09 TL, it had about 38K miles when I got it, it's up to around 50K now, I'm still on OEM tires, as far as I can tell.

I was told last inspection that I should replace them, the winter was light and I skipped. This winter however, I want to buy, especially since i'm having lots of breaking wobble, could be related to alignment I think, the inside thread is worn more than outside.

So the plan is to get new tires, do alignment, and go from there.

Few years back with my old Galant, a guy at Costco told me not to get Tire A for Japanese car, etc. I'm wondering if same applies here.
- Has anyone have bad luck with a brand not fitting well on 09 TL or similar model?
- Should I stay away from one brand VS another?
- I'm looking at tirerack, but i'm not sure what to go for.
- I'm looking for All-Season.
- Price under $1000 I think, but could go low as I'm interested in getting bigger rims sooner than later, so these could last only a few years.
Any suggestions would be great.

Here are the current tires

I really like these tires, they have that concave look, I've not seen tires like this for sale, probably not all-season?
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-t.../#post14709792

I thought about getting spacers to push the tires out flush with the body, but I'm reading that it's not recommended.

Also, other way would be to get a deeper (wider) rim that extends naturally and find a wider tired to match right?

Forget the rims atm however, not in budget.

Thank you all very much, I'm sorry I'm newb at car mods.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:05 AM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
All depends on what you are looking for in a tire from Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 , BF g-Force COMP-2 A/S (this seems the best bang for your buck atm) or Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus. First 3 are Ultra High Performance All season and last is Grand Touring All Season. Grand Touring is usually aimed toward quieter smoother ride like Michelin MXM4 (your OEM tire) It is all about what you want from your tires.
(Edit) I just remembered my old neighbor, before he sold his 09 TL, bought Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus and was very happy with them.

Hey at least your had solid OEM tires, I had the POS Goodyear RS eagle as my OEM tire. I sold them to Discount Tire the second day I owned the car.

Last edited by Anicra; 11-08-2016 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
discount tire will price match tirerack.com and is great to deal with!

I would recommend the DWS06 tires if you live in an area with snow and want a High Performance All Season Tire. If you want more comfort than performance, go with the Pirelli P7's.

Many other cheaper tires will wear unevenly, have lots of noise, drive terribly, etc.

I'm not the largest fan of michelin anymore, for example your tires look dry rotted on the sides!

Vibration during braking (in the steering or seat) is from warped rotors. If its the steering, it's the front rotors. I have warped front rotors and the Racing Brake Rotors on Order.
The following users liked this post:
Anicra (11-11-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 08:18 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for the feedback, I was not aware the UHP are more noisy/less comfortable as a tradeoff for traction/performance vs the GT

I watched a few videos on tirerack.com and they hightly recommend PIRELLI P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS (TireRack) - I'm probably going to get those with the Revised Compound.

They claim them to be pretty much best all around in UHP.

As for vibration, I was hoping it's from alignment, but I agree that it's probably warped rotors. About half a year ago, I took the wheel apart, painted the calipers red, and the rotors black, on all surface, sans the surface touching the pad , I suppose I probably shouldn't have done that.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:15 AM
10th Gear

Changed up again, I decided to go with BFGoodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S - JackWilliams tire has them for $150.95* / Installed Set of 4: $683.60 + $50 mail in rebate + free alignment check, not sure if I should get the Hazard Warranty, it would probably be $80, last for a year, or 12K miles, if I recall correctly.

They come up #2 in TireRack comparison - Consumer Survey Results By Category at lot lower price than the #1 Michelin and #3 Continental.

Far cry from current tire - Michelin Pilot HX MXM4

I was concerned about the noise level of 8.5 rating, until I saw my current tire rating of 6.7 - Although I'm curious if the rating is different per tire category (Grand Touring vs Ultra High Perf.)

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Shemploo; 11-08-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
The BFGoodrichs are good tires. They tend to get louder as they age.

The Michelin Pilot MXM4 should not even be called "Michelin". They don't deserve it LOL
Old 11-09-2016, 10:47 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by Shemploo
I was concerned about the noise level of 8.5 rating, until I saw my current tire rating of 6.7 - Although I'm curious if the rating is different per tire category (Grand Touring vs Ultra High Perf.)
because each tire manufacture will use their own rubber compound formula, you can ONLY compare tires within the brand.
cannot compare NVH, tire grip, tire wear between categories (UHP vs GT) only between brands!

so, the ratings are ONLY per the tire manufacture
Old 11-09-2016, 12:51 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
because each tire manufacture will use their own rubber compound formula, you can ONLY compare tires within the brand.
cannot compare NVH, tire grip, tire wear between categories (UHP vs GT) only between brands!

so, the ratings are ONLY per the tire manufacture
I was comparing the noise ratings (survey results) on the tires as listed on tire rack (Consumer Survey Results By Category) they gave the BFGoodrich 8.5 based on survey I believe.

I do not know however if what's listed as noise rating on Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 for specific tire is also a survey result, or manufacturere's rating. I would doubt it thought cause the Pilot HX has such low ratings on that page, that Michelin would rate their own tires so low.

I think TireRack probably rates based on their own tests, but I wonder if they have a different noise scale for UHP or GT, does that make sense?

Example a GT noise rating of 5 on TR produces 50 (dB) perceived noise, whereas UHP noise rating of 5 produces 80 (dB), but it's scaled differently because it's expected that UHP tires are more noisy.

The low tire rating on the Pilot made me wonder this.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 01:48 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
ahhh, it was selective reading on my part.
I completely dismissed (or didnt read) the testing by an independent source, ie; TireRack
Old 11-10-2016, 03:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
I was comparing the noise ratings (survey results) on the tires as listed on tire rack (Consumer Survey Results By Category) they gave the BFGoodrich 8.5 based on survey I believe.

I do not know however if what's listed as noise rating on Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 for specific tire is also a survey result, or manufacturere's rating. I would doubt it thought cause the Pilot HX has such low ratings on that page, that Michelin would rate their own tires so low.

I think TireRack probably rates based on their own tests, but I wonder if they have a different noise scale for UHP or GT, does that make sense?

Example a GT noise rating of 5 on TR produces 50 (dB) perceived noise, whereas UHP noise rating of 5 produces 80 (dB), but it's scaled differently because it's expected that UHP tires are more noisy.

The low tire rating on the Pilot made me wonder this.
To answer your question regarding Tirerack's survey results, they come from consumers so they can be inaccurate. But a huge gap like 6.5 vs. 8.5 for example should give you an idea of the difference. Also you'll need to take into account of how many "miles driven" on the Tirerack's survey results. The more miles, the more accurate.

Also look at Tirerack's tests to compare tires within a class. They are very helpful.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:06 AM
Pro

discount tire will price match tirerack.com and is great to deal with!
That's what I did originally and I drove 5 different sets of tires with the 30 day satisfaction, before I was happy.
Though I sold those and went with Michelin Super Sports for summer and X-ICE XI3 for winter.

Last edited by Anicra; 11-11-2016 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Changed up again, I decided to go with BFGoodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S - JackWilliams tire has them for $150.95* / Installed Set of 4: $683.60 + $50 mail in rebate + free alignment check, not sure if I should get the Hazard Warranty, it would probably be $80, last for a year, or 12K miles, if I recall correctly.

They come up #2 in TireRack comparison - Consumer Survey Results By Category at lot lower price than the #1 Michelin and #3 Continental.

Far cry from current tire - Michelin Pilot HX MXM4

Thanks for the help.
I've constantly heard that BF Goodrich get much louder as they age but for the price it's a great deal. I got the Continental DWS06 ordered last month while discount tire had the CTIRE16 sale. Ordered 2 tires for $404 with road hazard, got 100 back. Did it twice for total of $608, free shipping and the road hazzard! Spent $75 on the install at my local discount tire and am very happy!
Old 11-15-2016, 03:18 PM
10th Gear

They're on! - I didn't clean them yet so they look kind of dirty.

I'm really liking them thus far, they're quite, comfortable, and very smooth ride. - I'm no expert at tires mind you.

I got told they look offroad-ish.

The following 2 users liked this post by Shemploo:
Anicra (11-18-2016), csmeance (11-15-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 09:14 PM
Pro

Thats awesome Shemploo. Give the board some feedback on those as they get more miles on it. Congrats
Old 03-30-2018, 08:00 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Update?

I'm in the same boat as you were a littler over a year ago. What are your thoughts on the tires? Thanks.

Last edited by mrmessma; 03-30-2018 at 08:01 AM. Reason: minutiae
Old 04-09-2018, 11:27 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got the continental DWS06 put on my 2011 TL SH-AWD and so far very pleased with the choice.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
I'm currently shopping for new all-seasons as well. Steve at 1010Tires.com (very helpful guy) really seemed to endorse the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06, preferring them over the ones I was looking at (the Pirelli P-Zero All Season Plus). Had me close to changing my mind, but further research turned up this article which supports the Pirelli. Do enough research and you'll find arguments in favour of any tire. I've had good luck in the past with Pirelli, and will likely go that route. The big advantage for the Conti seemed to be the shoulder seasons (going into and coming out of winter), but I run dedicated winters, so that's not as much of a concern for me.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
interesting read. thanks for that. living in the Boston area seems like all we have is in-between seasons so wet traction is pretty important. been on the DWS06 for about a week now and definitely happy so far.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:14 PM
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts
I have a couple thousand miles on my set of Pirelli P-Zero All Season Plus, and am very satisfied with them. They don't ride any harsher than the OEM Michelins, seem to have no more than a slight increase in rolling resistance, are much better in the wet, aren't any noisier, and dry handling is also better, relative to the OEM MIchelins.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:00 AM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
They're on! - I didn't clean them yet so they look kind of dirty.

I'm really liking them thus far, they're quite, comfortable, and very smooth ride. - I'm no expert at tires mind you.

I got told they look offroad-ish.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about those tires. I didn’t get them for the exact reason you mentioned though. I didn’t like the look of the blocky tread. Keep us in the loop for the treadwear.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have these BFGoodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S on my Civic, I agree that the side tread is "blocky" and at leas on the Civic, they make a "whooshing" sound. They're unbelievable in the wet, however, which in Florida, is a must. I'm currently debating between the Continental Sure Contact RX and Goodyear Eagle sport A/S...both in 19inch. anyone have any feedback on either?
Old 05-07-2018, 02:48 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
When I bought my 2006 TL it had relatively new BFGoodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S on it; they were a bit noisy. Here we are one year later and the tires were so noisy I had to yank them from my car. I'm guessing the tires had between thirty and thirty-five thousand miles on them when I yanked them, and geez, once I did I berated myself for not having done it sooner; the block tread, once even a tiny bit scalloped, becomes so very noisy having a conversation in the car is problematic, never-mind using the HFL for a phone call.