Torque converter going out again after 6 months...reprogram lockups/shift points???

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 11:51 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Torque converter going out again after 6 months...reprogram lockups/shift points???

So I got my torque converter replaced and done software update in June on my 2013 FWD and now 6 months later I'm starting to feel shutter again and getting worse when its cold.. Now it jerks forward aggressively in first gear when cold... its always first and second shifts messing up...other gears are smooth as butter... Taking the car back in tomorrow to get it checked. My question is: what can I do to actually fix this after I get it fixed from dealer again... is there some kind of tuner that messes with the torque converter lockups/shift points? Whoever programmed the trans was drunk or something. It'll be awesome if I can somehow reprogram how the trans shifts to like liking.. I should've got a 6 speed.... smh but I love my TL.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
I'm wondering if your trans fluid filter is bad or if the fluid has worn down and needs replacement.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:39 PM
3rd Gear

I have 2011 SH-AWD same problem. Between first and 2nd I get the slight jerk. Nothing too serious but as the driver I def feel it.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:49 PM
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Same thing with my car. I have a 2009 SH-AWD and it jerks from first to second gear. Only does it when the car has been sitting overnight. After driving for about 20-30 min, all is fine. My car also makes a fluttering sound coming from the engine bay when i put a load on the engine. Wonder if my TC is bad as well?
Old 01-09-2017, 09:38 PM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
I'm wondering if your trans fluid filter is bad or if the fluid has worn down and needs replacement.
I thought they dealer was supposed to change trans fluid when they do the software update. They changed mine.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:21 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i have the same issue with the jerking, but mine only happens between 2nd to 3rd.

1st to 2nd is ok, but 2nd to 3rd is a hard jerk, then the rest of the gears are fine.

just did a tranny flush at acura, and an oil change too.

gonna have them look at it when i go in to get my timing belt done, since my tensioner needs service
Old 01-23-2017, 12:15 AM
6th Gear

I took it back to Acura a month ago and they tried to replicate the problem also I took a tech out for a test drive but it was shifting fine go figure lol. So now the transmission is doing something a little different now... when the car is sitting overnight or parked for a few hours when I start driving it, its fine... but now when im at a FIRST stop light for about 30 seconds or more waiting for the light to turn green.. when I start accelerating normally, just before it shifts into second, I feel that the torque converter engaging for a half a second making the car jerk forward a bit then when it disengages shifting to second feeling like i tapped the breaks causing me to lurch forward a bit. I got video proof. It only happens when I'm at a FIRST stop light... the second stop it shifts smooth as butter... And it repeats again everytime when its sat for a few hours or overnight.. Might take it back again soon if it gets more aggressive..
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tSz2LDIeLx8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>