Road noise (wheel bearings? )

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 04:31 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Road noise (wheel bearings? )

Hi all I need your help in pin pointing the road noise I hear when I drive. As I increase in speed the noise increases, I never heard this noise before until last night driving from NJ to Massachusetts at an average of 65mph. There are no signs of leaks from under the car and it drives normal meaning no vibration even when I hit 80pmh this is with deleceration and acceleration it's just that noise that came out of no where and all the fluids are at the right level. At first I thought it was the tires but I just had them rotated and sound is coming from the front end of the car. So maybe they need rebalancing. The car is a 2010 TL FWD tech with 77215k miles on it.. let me know any posible reason for the noise. If it is the wheel bearings how much would it cost to replace the bearings? Thanks in advance. I don't have a video clip it I'll try to post one later
Old 09-12-2015, 09:15 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
It is entirely possible the tires that came from the rear of the car are cupped. Rear suspension on FWD biased cars tend to put a cupping pattern, (high and low tread blocks), on tires. You don't hear the noise so much when they're on the rear. Once they are rotated to the front the sound is much more pronounced. Balancing will have nothing to do with it. Easiest way to test if it's the tires is to rotate them back to the way they were. If the sound goes away or changes, it's the tires. If the sound remains, it's not the tires.

As for wheel bearings, it's a little tougher to diagnose. I've always found that bad wheel bearings will make more or less noise depending on how much load is on them. For example: If the right front wheel bearing is going out, making a left turn puts more load on the RF thus causing the sound to increase. The reverse is also true, making a right turn will remove some load from the RF bearing causing the noise to decrease.
The following users liked this post:
KarKraze (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 12:35 AM
Racer

Thanks for the reply so it sounds like the tires are the problem because there are no change in decibels when I turn right or left stressing damage to the bearing put there is an even distribution of road noise at increasing speeds coming from both left and right wheel when I drive.. how did the tires became cupped? Is it from driving pattern or just bad tires i got from the factory. They were just install this year and why can't rebalancing fix the problem...
If it is the tires.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:59 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Like I said, rear shocks on FWD biased cars tend to cup tires, especially if they aren't rotated enough. I couldn't tell you exactly why, it's just something that I see in my job on an almost daily basis and seems to be much more common on FWD biased cars. Balancing the tires is not going to help because it is not going to even out the wear on the tires. What you are hearing is the high and low tread blocks humming on the road. No amount of balancing will fix it. Again, just to be sure, the easiest thing to do is rotate the tires back to the way they were before and see if the noise changes.
The following users liked this post:
KarKraze (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 07:41 AM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
I have an issue somewhat similar to yours, at exactly 40 Kmh I would get a thumping sound coming from what I felt as the Left front tire,the noise changed to more of a hum/ growl as speed increased.
Being under warranty,I took the car for an inspection,the car was road tested and the tech agreed with my assumption that the front left wheel bearing was on it's way out. They proceeded to replace both front wheel bearings.

I picked up the car and on my way home I heard the exact same noise. Decided to have a look at the tires, since I have the new stock wheels at home I began the process of changing one wheel at a time,starting with the front left where the noise seemed to be coming from. After the first change and road test the noise was still there,so on to the front right and road test.

Well,lo and behold much to my surprise the noise disappeared completely.So ,even though the noise appeared to be from the left front,It was actually the right front. On careful examination of the tire I noticed some feathering on the outer edges,there may be other damage that I cannot see. I know that my camber is out and will be fixing the alignment issue before replacing the tires next season.

I agree with "BDoggPrelude" and explanation that he presented to you.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:43 AM
Racer

I had the car checked out to see what exactly the problem was, turns out it is the driver side wheel bearings that needs to be replaced. When I asked how much it is to replace the hub bearing ... the SA said it is a total of $694 I think that is too much.. do anybody know a good mechanic in the the north new jersey area that can do this job for less?
Old 09-17-2015, 08:35 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
That seems like a crazy price to replace a wheel bearing.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:39 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by real_mckoy
I had the car checked out to see what exactly the problem was, turns out it is the driver side wheel bearings that needs to be replaced. When I asked how much it is to replace the hub bearing ... the SA said it is a total of $694 I think that is too much.. do anybody know a good mechanic in the the north new jersey area that can do this job for less?
I think, and correct me if I am wrong, the price of the entire knuckle is cheaper than just the bearing and the labor alone. It takes more $$$ I guess to extract the bearing from the old knuckle and install the new one in there. Unless the knuckle in this case doesn't come with the bearing pre-installed. A scenario worth investigating. If all that is correct, buy the knuckle on-line at some Acura parts store (for about $200) and have them just install it (for about $100). That will save you a bundle.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tonyware
I think, and correct me if I am wrong, the price of the entire knuckle is cheaper than just the bearing and the labor alone. It takes more $$$ I guess to extract the bearing from the old knuckle and install the new one in there. Unless the knuckle in this case doesn't come with the bearing pre-installed. A scenario worth investigating. If all that is correct, buy the knuckle on-line at some Acura parts store (for about $200) and have them just install it (for about $100). That will save you a bundle.
I looked to see if I can,get the bearing and hub assembly together but no luck only the rear comes in that option to purchase. The front is seprate since ive been searching onlin3 unless im looking in the wrong places.. I called a Honda dealer where I service my wife's carand they said $300 for parts and labor bring it anytime. how long can I drive with this issue does it require Immediate attention or will a month of driving do damage to the hub assembly and axle? If anyone can find a link to purchase hub pretty installed that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by real_mckoy; 09-18-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:02 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forum member Paul https://acurazine.com/forums/ny-nj-3...rth-nj-883797/
Old 09-25-2015, 09:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
Different road surfaces will make odd sounds that can be alarming.
When I drive on fresh asphalt pavement at 70 mph the car sounds like a howling haunted house! Tire type is a factor for sure.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jim_c
Different road surfaces will make odd sounds that can be alarming.
When I drive on fresh asphalt pavement at 70 mph the car sounds like a howling haunted house! Tire type is a factor for sure.
should i get a second opinion?