New 2012 TL Tech

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 01:43 PM
JLH
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New 2012 TL Tech

I just bought the Tl in March and have 2000 miles on it. No problems...yet. The dealer activated the XM Radio but failed to activate the weather and traffic channels. I had to contact XMRadio to get that done. I have been watching the forums to get a feel for the kinds of problems owners are having. Quite an assortment but have not seen any posts by 2012 TL owners.

I am coming off a 1996 Olds Aurora with 100K miles that I bought new. It was an exceptional car (which is an exception of its own) and I hope to match it with the new TL.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. I'm sure the 2012 owners will chime in at some point. Mine's a 2010.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Congrats and welcome! Have had my '12 TL since March. No problems to speak of yet Coming from a 2006 RL and loving the TL so far.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
A 2012 since March of 2011...seems crazy to me that they keep pushing up releases of future models. Kinda like movies that come out on Friday getting released on Wednesday to boost the #'s of the weekend it comes out.

I wouldn't expect too many issues since I'm sure most stuff is worked out and the 2012 was mainly a cosmetic change. Nice looking car though...I dig it.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:54 PM
JLH
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rockstar143
A 2012 since March of 2011...seems crazy to me that they keep pushing up releases of future models. Kinda like movies that come out on Friday getting released on Wednesday to boost the #'s of the weekend it comes out.

I wouldn't expect too many issues since I'm sure most stuff is worked out and the 2012 was mainly a cosmetic change. Nice looking car though...I dig it.
Atually the changes are fairly significant. The URL is informative.

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...spx?id=5934-en
Old 05-22-2011, 11:20 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2012 TL has some voice recognition issues. When I set the voice tags of people I call, the system does not recognize the command "Call home" or "Call dad." I was told by the dealer AND by handsfreelink that people have complained about this problem and it has been forwarded to the higher ups. Instead of saying the name, I have to state the number that the speed dial of that person is connected to, for example, "Call 1" or "Call 2." Anybody else have that issue?
Old 05-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Cruisin'

Yes. I have assigned 'tags' to several phone entries, but the voice system does not recognize them. The dealer offered no help and suggested I call Acura. Glad to know I'm not the only person having problems with the voice commands.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Yup, same problem.
The HFL in my 2008 TL was perfect in that regard. That's really the only issue with the 2012. Been perfect otherwise, got ours on March 19th, have about 1800 miles on it so far and only 1 'road trip'. This is our 2nd TL and compared to the 2008 the new 2012 ride is much improved and far less cabin noise going down the road.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:23 PM
2nd Gear

I have the exact same problem. Just got my new TL last week and thought I was doing something wrong. The voice tags are attached to the name but not recognized by the hands free link.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by mhbill
Yes. I have assigned 'tags' to several phone entries, but the voice system does not recognize them. The dealer offered no help and suggested I call Acura. Glad to know I'm not the only person having problems with the voice commands.
My experience is that it sometimes it will say "home" sounds like "four" so I have used voice tags with more identiy like "my home phone" or "Marys cell phone"

For the first speed dial I just always use the interface dial and push on it because it makes the call immediately, not totally hands free but most effective.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:14 AM
5th Gear

Just got a Graphite Grey 2012 TL Tech Package and I am loving it... nice upgrade from my previous '98 Accord Coupe V6 EX (was a good car but was time to go).

I too seem to be having trouble with voice recognition of some of the speed dial options. "Call Dad" never works. Going to try changing the tags to something more descriptive as suggested & see what happens, but it is a little frustrating.

Also, having an issue getting my headlights to turn off, but I will post that in a separate thread. It could very well just be a setting I'm not familiar with.

--Ryan
Old 06-17-2011, 07:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by djinc01
Just got a Graphite Grey 2012 TL Tech Package and I am loving it... nice upgrade from my previous '98 Accord Coupe V6 EX (was a good car but was time to go).

I too seem to be having trouble with voice recognition of some of the speed dial options. "Call Dad" never works. Going to try changing the tags to something more descriptive as suggested & see what happens, but it is a little frustrating.

Also, having an issue getting my headlights to turn off, but I will post that in a separate thread. It could very well just be a setting I'm not familiar with.

--Ryan
Your headlights have a setting in the MID under settings for how long they will stay on after the car is shut off. I think the default is 10 seconds, could that be the issue?
Old 08-03-2011, 10:41 PM
3rd Gear

2012 TL Advance won't shut off.

Seems I have a problem no one has mentioned. Twice now, my 2012 TL Advance (SH-AWD, etc.) has decided not to let me shut it off. Most of the time, just hit the red button, no problem. But today, for the second time, it just went into "accessory mode". The remote did nothing (except honk for panic button). The car wouldn't lock by the remote, nor by the outside door button.

Walking away from the car, it beeps that "you forgot to shut me off". I tried what the car said and hit the red button twice quickly. No help. I tried 3 times quickly, as per one thread on this site. No help. 4 times, 5 times, no help.

The first time it happened, I was in a parking spot. So I turned the engine on, backed it out of the space, then back in. Then it was normal. Fixed!

Today, that didn't work. Nothing seemed to work. I found I could lock the car using the metal key in the door (horrors!), while leaving the car "on" in "accessory mode" in the parking lot.

On calling the dealer, the service manager told me to bring it in. It was a 20 minute drive, and when I got there, all was fine. I shut it off normally! No sign of the problem.

Anyway, if anyone has any insight into this, I'm all ears. The service manager never heard of it. No bulletins yet, I was told. If it happens to you, you might at least be helped by my discovering the ability to lock the car with the removable metal key.

Oh - one more symptom. (or is it just random?) Before the problem today, the voice navigation was audibly telling me every turn. After the first successful shut off (at the dealer), the voice nav stopped talking to me out loud. I doubt this is related to the problem, but I noticed it...

I'll come back and post here if I find out anything. Otherwise, I'm waiting for help from others or for the problem to recur to contact my dealer, yet again.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
PBTL2012...That is an interesting problem and was always something that I was thinking....what do you do if the button doesn't work. I'll be interested to see if this problems go away oon its own for you or will it get worse. On the flip side, its re-assuring to see that Acura's are such good cars that won't even stop unlike most other car makers who's vehicle won't start!

The the OP...Congrats on your 2012 TL. I have had mine now since early June and no problems to speak of. I have one intermittent tick/rattle and trying to locate where its coming from using the threads here. I am pretty sure its either the seat or the rear shelf but I need to hear more often to pin point where its coming from. Its not a constant thing so that makes it harder to pin point. ENJOY YOUR NEW CAR....Great choice!
Old 08-05-2011, 11:06 PM
Intermediate

I had the same problem and figured out it was my sunglasses rattling in the sunglass holder.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:52 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jackson94526
I had the same problem and figured out it was my sunglasses rattling in the sunglass holder.
First, I don't have anything in the sunglasses holder. But why would leaving anything there, or anywhere else in the car, stop you from turning the car off? Were your keys attached to your sunglasses?
Old 08-09-2011, 01:12 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had the same problem and took it to the dealer to get fixed. THe voicetag feature "kinda" works now, but they are waiting for a proper fix from Acura. I recommend calling Acura to report your problem or at least taking your car in to tell them to fix the voice tag feature.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:30 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by PBTL2012

Seems I have a problem no one has mentioned. Twice now, my 2012 TL Advance (SH-AWD, etc.) has decided not to let me shut it off. Most of the time, just hit the red button, no problem. But today, for the second time, it just went into "accessory mode". The remote did nothing (except honk for panic button). The car wouldn't lock by the remote, nor by the outside door button.

Walking away from the car, it beeps that "you forgot to shut me off". I tried what the car said and hit the red button twice quickly. No help. I tried 3 times quickly, as per one thread on this site. No help. 4 times, 5 times, no help.

The first time it happened, I was in a parking spot. So I turned the engine on, backed it out of the space, then back in. Then it was normal. Fixed!

Today, that didn't work. Nothing seemed to work. I found I could lock the car using the metal key in the door (horrors!), while leaving the car "on" in "accessory mode" in the parking lot.

On calling the dealer, the service manager told me to bring it in. It was a 20 minute drive, and when I got there, all was fine. I shut it off normally! No sign of the problem.

Anyway, if anyone has any insight into this, I'm all ears. The service manager never heard of it. No bulletins yet, I was told. If it happens to you, you might at least be helped by my discovering the ability to lock the car with the removable metal key.

Oh - one more symptom. (or is it just random?) Before the problem today, the voice navigation was audibly telling me every turn. After the first successful shut off (at the dealer), the voice nav stopped talking to me out loud. I doubt this is related to the problem, but I noticed it...

I'll come back and post here if I find out anything. Otherwise, I'm waiting for help from others or for the problem to recur to contact my dealer, yet again.
I had the same issue with my 2012 TL Tech. It turns out I was pressing the off button while I was still in drive. It shut off the engine, but left the car running in accessory mode. I have to turn the care back on, switch it to park, then shut off the car. I hope this helps you.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:20 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks, but I think it's worse than that (mistakenly shutting down while in Drive). When it happens, I start it up, back it up, pull back into the spot, put it in Park, and attempt a shutdown, and it STILL fails to shut off properly.

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. The indicator shows I'm in Park when the problem occurs.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by PBTL2012

Did you ever find a solution to the shut off problem? I've had my car for 4 months, and yesterday I had the issue occur for the 2nd time. Only way I found to make it shut down correctly when this happened was to pull out of my parking space and drive it, then park again, and it shut down correctly after that.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:44 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
Originally Posted by dregsfan
Did you ever find a solution to the shut off problem? I've had my car for 4 months, and yesterday I had the issue occur for the 2nd time. Only way I found to make it shut down correctly when this happened was to pull out of my parking space and drive it, then park again, and it shut down correctly after that.
See Engine Shuts Off, but Power Mode Stays in ON or ACCESSORY on page 1 of the May 2013 Acura Service News. The issue could be a misadjusted shift cable.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...8/#post8398357
The following users liked this post:
dregsfan (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 03:58 PM
Racer

^^^ Thanks for the info, but when I go to the page and click the May 2013 link I get this:
You are not authorized to view the content on this page.

If you believe you have received this message in error, please contact the Support Center.

Please go back or return to the home page.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:27 PM
Racer

Nevermind. I cleared the cache and then I was able to read it.