Gurgling sound is back after ATF filter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 11:06 PM
dyp
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gurgling sound is back after ATF filter replacement

After multiple complaints to the dealer about the annoying gurgling sound, I finally got them to replace the ATF filter and ATF as prescribed by the TSB.

It seemed like the sound was gone for a day or so but soon after, it is now back.

Any other ideas on what could be causing this sound? Only hear it when I'm not moving and typically after a cold start.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2017, 06:02 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I can't remember where I read it, but it has something to do with the filter disrupting the flow of the transmission fluid, causing that gurgling sound. Perhaps when the filter becomes more filled with contaminants, it starts to disrupt the flow path. I can't imagine this being good! Even then, it shouldn't start gurgling a day or so after installation. Maybe they took a defective one out and put another defective one back in?

I'd recommend swapping it out for a Magnefine filter. They cost roughly the same price, and are built a lot better. You'll have to rig up a way of securing it, as the diameter is a bit larger than OEM, so the OEM strap clamp won't fit (or maybe it will with some brute force).

Look around on some of the recent threads here, someone else already went this route, and even posted which model to get, so all the hard work is done. Don't quote me on this, but I believe the hoses are 3/8" ID, so you would get that model Magnefine filter.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:17 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jefflikesbagels
I can't remember where I read it, but it has something to do with the filter disrupting the flow of the transmission fluid, causing that gurgling sound. Perhaps when the filter becomes more filled with contaminants, it starts to disrupt the flow path. I can't imagine this being good! Even then, it shouldn't start gurgling a day or so after installation. Maybe they took a defective one out and put another defective one back in?

I'd recommend swapping it out for a Magnefine filter. They cost roughly the same price, and are built a lot better. You'll have to rig up a way of securing it, as the diameter is a bit larger than OEM, so the OEM strap clamp won't fit (or maybe it will with some brute force).

Look around on some of the recent threads here, someone else already went this route, and even posted which model to get, so all the hard work is done. Don't quote me on this, but I believe the hoses are 3/8" ID, so you would get that model Magnefine filter.
I did the magnefine filter swap about 3-4 months ago so far so good.
Magnefine 3/8 Inch Magnetic Inline Transmission Filter
Old 02-12-2017, 11:57 PM
dyp
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation. I am going to try the dealer once more since the TL is under warranty and see if they can try to address. If not, definitely going to the the Magnefine filter.