Extreme cold monochrome screen spots

Old 01-09-2017, 06:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down Extreme cold monochrome screen spots

Ok guys hopefully you can see the pictures. I parked my TL as I was waiting for new tires on back-order and drove my older Honda Accord for about a month. I left it plugged in outside in temperatures that go as low as -40. (Yes I live in the fridged hell known as Yellowknife). Anyways I went to go check on my TL today after it had sit for about a month and she started up just fine without a hitch using the remote start while standing outside. I went inside it to find everything alright except for the lower screen on the nav unit. I assume it would go away once the car got up to temperature. Nope. Left it for about 20 minutes then went on a drive to do some errands and no difference. The spots are stuck "pixels" as in if I turn up the brightness those pixels get brighter.

So guys, how do I fix this? Wait until spring for things to warm up and hope for the best or is this a fatal flaw of screens in extreme cold? With that said the dash screen( where the speedo is) is just fine and uses the same screen tech it seems. Or is there a diagnostics setting I can get into that "flushes" the pixels to tell them to turn off?

If I would have to replace the screen part how much of my arm would I have to cut off to pay for this?
Old 01-15-2017, 08:33 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 124 Likes on 108 Posts
The only thing that I have noticed is in the winter, my color screen takes a bit of time to warm up before it is FULL brightness.

I would check out some parts sites to see if the part can be bought separately or not. i.e. CENTER MODULE (NAVIGATION) for 2011 Acura TL SEDAN
Old 01-18-2017, 12:06 AM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Uhh, both of your screens look off to me. The little black and white display on the bottom has a very interested dotted look to it, I wonder why? Mine is completely clear.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:05 PM
Intermediate

Actually the nav screen is alright. The bottom screen is what I'm taking about, the one that gives the song name or artist info and the clock. It has those speckled spots that are constant on pixels. Im hoping it goes away when the weather warms up because the whole unit needs to be replaced which is $1000, and i'm not paying that much for something that is clearly a defect. If it doesn't go away I suppose I can live with it but careful leaving your Acura in Arctic temperatures, Honda wasn't very thorough it seems doing cold weather testing for the Tech package Acuras.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:28 PM
Intermediate

Ok the problem seems to be going away slowly. There are a few spots left but it is definitely temperature related. It is about -10C today and I did abit of driving and prewarming and that seemed to gradually warm up the pixels so they become unstuck. Crisis averted.

Search this Thread