Car shakes a ton at 77-83MPH. Tires need to be rotated?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 01:47 PM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car shakes a ton at 77-83MPH. Tires need to be rotated?

Yeah, so basically title. The car's super smooth until the 75ish MPH mark and until the 80ish MPH mark. Between those speeds (where I drive the most too -.-) the car shakes pretty significantly. Passengers feel it too, in the back and front. The tires look good, they're not worn down at all, I just replaced them about 15k miles ago. Brakes are new, less than 10k miles on those too and it's not shaking at all during braking. Shanking can be felt a little through the steering wheel but mostly through the seats.

I'm thinking of doing a tire-rotation at home to see if it solves the problem. I'm thinking of doing a forward cross to see if that helps. Could it be something else? Balancing maybe?

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2016, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,583 Likes on 6,630 Posts
bent or unbalanced wheel. Are they OEM tires?
Old 07-23-2016, 03:50 PM
Pro

Yeah, OEM rims and new tires, same spec, I think Serenity Plus.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:56 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 405 Likes on 282 Posts
Your new tires may be "out of round" .... whatever that means. You may need to get them balanced again.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:03 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Also check axles and propeller shaft. Are you tires wearing evenly?
Old 07-25-2016, 12:34 PM
keep it clean

Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
OP, did this issue recently start or has it been occurring ever since you got your tires replaced?

Few things I would consider to try and resolve your issue:
  • Tire/wheel balance
  • Wheels properly seated and torqued to proper spec
  • Hub Centric rings - you don't need since you have OEM wheels
  • Wheel alignment
  • Do a visual inspection of your suspension to ensure nothing is lose or damaged
Good Luck!
Old 07-25-2016, 02:59 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by AcuraIntegTL
OP, did this issue recently start or has it been occurring ever since you got your tires replaced?

Few things I would consider to try and resolve your issue:
  • Tire/wheel balance
  • Wheels properly seated and torqued to proper spec
  • Hub Centric rings - you don't need since you have OEM wheels
  • Wheel alignment
  • Do a visual inspection of your suspension to ensure nothing is lose or damaged
Good Luck!
Hey, thanks for the troubleshooting steps!

It started happening about a month ago, so well after I got the tires replaced.

I just had an alignment done this weekend, and it's still there, so I'm gonna go do a balance somewhere and report back!

Visually the wheels look great. The threads are wearing evenly across all 4 tires, so nothing wrong in that aspect. No cracks or anything like that either.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:10 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Blaze9
Hey, thanks for the troubleshooting steps!

It started happening about a month ago, so well after I got the tires replaced.

I just had an alignment done this weekend, and it's still there, so I'm gonna go do a balance somewhere and report back!

Visually the wheels look great. The threads are wearing evenly across all 4 tires, so nothing wrong in that aspect. No cracks or anything like that either.
I had the same exact issue.
We had a pretty bad winter here last year and pot holes are the assumed source of bending the rims.
Hope this helps
Old 07-27-2016, 09:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Yeah, so basically title. The car's super smooth until the 75ish MPH mark and until the 80ish MPH mark. Between those speeds (where I drive the most too -.-) the car shakes pretty significantly. Passengers feel it too, in the back and front. The tires look good, they're not worn down at all, I just replaced them about 15k miles ago. Brakes are new, less than 10k miles on those too and it's not shaking at all during braking. Shanking can be felt a little through the steering wheel but mostly through the seats.

I'm thinking of doing a tire-rotation at home to see if it solves the problem. I'm thinking of doing a forward cross to see if that helps. Could it be something else? Balancing maybe?

Thanks!
Go to a place that uses the Hunter Road Force Balancers, most discount tire shops have one any they balance tires much better than other machines. It sounds like your rear tires need to be balanced as you are feeling it more in your seat.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:54 AM
Pro

+1 ^^^

they balance tires much better than other machines.
...when used properly, which unfortunately a lot of times it isn't. And if the road force is under 26 lbs, some techs will call it good, when they could've rotated the tire on the rim and cancelled out a lot of it. This is why I specifically tell them to match mount the tire to the rim even if the number is within the "acceptable" range. Some shops will charge extra for this because it requires breaking the bead and rotating the tire (essentially mounting it again). IMO, they shouldn't charge extra because it's part of the job of properly balancing a wheel using the GSP9700.

Last edited by mossman77; 07-28-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,583 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Originally Posted by mossman77
+1 ^^^

...when used properly, which unfortunately a lot of times it isn't.
Shitty mechanics on shitty machines = shittier results too..
Old 08-01-2016, 11:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 648 Likes on 349 Posts
OP- when pulling off or driving any speed under 25mph what do you feel? Does the car feel like it's wobbling? That's an indication of a bent wheel or out of balance tire as well
Old 08-16-2016, 07:23 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Chiming in to say I've got the same exact shaking at the same exact speed. I just recently got two new front tires and an alignment at Acura, so thinking that was the issue, I had them rebalanced again at a Tires Plus. Changed nothing. I'm hesitant to get another alignment because I don't want to hemorrhage more money on things that may or may not work. This may just be coincidental, but I've also been noticing a single "clunk" noise that occurs right before I come to a complete stop.

I've shaken/wiggled all of the suspension components on the front of the car, and did not notice anything that would be causing the shaking at high speeds. The mechanic at Tires Plus mentioned that it could just be a fault with the new tires, so I may flip the front two and see if anything changes. If it doesn't, I'll rotate them normally to the back of the car and see if the shaking follows.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:47 PM
Pro

Hey guys,

thanks for all of your input. So my mechanic told me that my front wheel bearing is shot and needs to be replaced. So I'm off on my way to do that now.

Thanks so much everyone =)
Old 08-18-2016, 03:51 PM
Pro

Hey guys,

thanks for all of your input. So my mechanic told me that my front wheel bearing is shot and needs to be replaced. So I'm off on my way to do that now.

Thanks so much everyone =)
Was the bearing making any noise or was the vibration the only indicator?
Old 08-18-2016, 04:32 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mossman77
Was the bearing making any noise or was the vibration the only indicator?
At first it wasn't, but it has started making a grinding noise.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
I am also dealing with a very similar issue. The car vibrates and shakes above 75 to 85mph and then stabilizes. Going to be making a 3rd trip to the dealer next week to have this addressed.