Anyone do the torque converter transmission program recall?

Old 09-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Update:

Over the weekend I took the car in for the usual oil change and talked to the Service Manager - really knowledgeable and helpful and will bend over backwards to help.

I hit him up again on the situation and asked him to check to see if the computer is throwing any codes and whether there was any further software updates/revision. Negative to both.

When I told him the problem is back, he noted it on the service ticket but since my appointment was for an oil change he didn't have time to look at it (day was booked). He said to bring it in when it's convenient for me. I told him that I was worried that if I delay bringing it in I would be faulted for exacerbating the problem. He said don't worry as he noted my complaint on the order and they noted that they found nothing wrong with the computer codes so I'm off the hook for that.

I asked him that if I bring it back and they experience the problem again, would they replace the TC for a second time? He said that since it was already replaced once, Acura will not allow him to do it again without some deep investigation. This involves attaching a monitoring computer while driving the car and reproducing the problem. Then Acura will take the data and analyze it and then decide what to do next.

The Service Manager said not to worry as a) I have an extended warranty but also b) drive train warranty is longer than the standard overall warranty.

So the saga will continue at a later time. I'll bring it in when things are less busy for me.

Anyone replaced their TC twice???
Old 09-10-2013, 10:43 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2012 AWD is doing all the symptoms that are listed here. Around 30-40 mph the RPM starts surging about 200-400 rpm like the transmission is shifting in and out of gear, i'm suspecting it's the TC trying to kick in. Sometimes on hills it will get "stuck" and start shaking the entire car until I put my foot into it and it kicks out of gear. Anyone else having this problem with the 2012, I have a feeling it's not just me and Acura may have to extend this to the 2012's too.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:51 AM
Burning Brakes

I've never experienced the surging RPM or gear hunting issue but there was about 3-4 times where I was trying to recreate the problem and make it as worst as I could just to see what happens. Man, the whole care was shaking just as you described!

That only happened 3-4 times so it's hard to get mine to hit the "sweet spot" where it would make the car rumble but when it happens....look out!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Thanks for keeping us in the loop King. I have all but given up on mine. Still does it, neither dealer in my area or Acura will do anything about it. Whenever they update it, it gets worse, then gets better for a few weeks, then then comes back and stays.

Seems to always happen now at 28-30 and again at 38-40. If I am in steady traffic and then try to accelerate slightly, the RPM actually drops slightly and/or locks and the whole car grumbles and struggles until I really stomp on the gas.

I still have not had had the TC replaced. They always refuse due to "No Codes". Each and every time I show the dealer or Acura rep the problem, they state what is happening is knocking, and its a result of low obtain gas. I have only ever used the highest octain premium. First they had me switch to Conoco only, still did it, then they had me switch to Shell only, still does it. Now all they said they can do is note my service record, and they asked me to keep my receipts proving I only by premium. Otherwise, they have said there is nothing they can do.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Same problem here with an 09 AWD at about 55k miles.

Dealer did the "software upgrade" when the initial TSB went out. But that did not fix any problems.

I get these weird surge and vibrations throughout the car at certain sweet spots, somewhere around 30-40mph and 2,500-3,000 RPMs. It's very difficult to reproduce on demand and no codes are being thrown, so dealer won't do anything. They told me the same thing. "Don't worry, you have extended warranty." Great.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
Just fyi . I don't have current knowledge on all the electronic controls but the basics are as follows. The TC is a sealed unit that cannot be serviced or diagnosed directly. It is inside the bellhousing and is driven by the engine. If they need to change the TC they have to remove the trans from the engine. The TC can be replaced independent of the transmission(transaxle). The TC is the fluid connection between the engine and the rest of the drivetrain but when the lockup clutch applies you get a mechanical. connection. If the lockup comes on at low speeds it acts like when you drive a MT car at very low speeds in a high gear, it chugs or shudders. The transmission also has clutches that can malfunction and cause similar symptoms. If the trans is to be repaired it has to come out. All of these repairs are costly and labour intensive.
The following users liked this post:
RadioActive (10-09-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Hi belcom.
Are you in Oakville?
Have you tried Erin Mills Acura?
Found your post about Oakville Acura interesting!
I spoke to them briefly when I was looking to buy and I hated them right off the bat. Never tried them for anything else after that and bought elsewhere. I find Erin Mills to be pretty good. Talk to Ron Boris in the service dep't there.
Let me know eh?
JC
Old 09-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Burning Brakes

emanon256,

I doubt this issue will ever throw a computer error code unless the problem is really bad. That's my theory and somewhat acknowledged by my Service Manager. Having said that, could you not bring the notice that we got in the mail and shove it in their face?

That notice is very specific on what series of events that must happen before they can do something. Tell your dealer no where in that notice does it mention a computer error code generated.

Them telling you to keep switching gas is a delay tatic to tire you out and make you give up. Either stand your ground or take it to another dealer. Perhaps even try using a Lemon Law in your state.

I did with my car early in its life when Acura couldn't address an issue after 3 tries. Got some money out of it.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:09 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No all you need to do is drain and refill the transmission at this time I have the same problem no codes dtc but fluid had 30k on it
Old 09-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Kingmeow
emanon256,

I doubt this issue will ever throw a computer error code unless the problem is really bad. That's my theory and somewhat acknowledged by my Service Manager. Having said that, could you not bring the notice that we got in the mail and shove it in their face?

That notice is very specific on what series of events that must happen before they can do something. Tell your dealer no where in that notice does it mention a computer error code generated.

Them telling you to keep switching gas is a delay tatic to tire you out and make you give up. Either stand your ground or take it to another dealer. Perhaps even try using a Lemon Law in your state.

I did with my car early in its life when Acura couldn't address an issue after 3 tries. Got some money out of it.
Thanks King,
Unfortunately I have already been to two dealers multiple times each and met with a factory rep twice. I have shown them all the notice that states if it still occurs again that the TC needs to be replaced and every one of them says it does not need to be replaced unless it throws a code. So I have gotten no where. Even the factory rep is saying it been fixed by the software and it must be gas. The service manager kept saying it happens to all 2009-2011's after the update still and its normal and won't hurt anything.

I looked up the lemon law issue in my state and it says that I have to make my claim within 1 year of purchase or by the end of the warranty period, whichever is less. Since I purchased it 2 years ago I think I am hosed in that regard.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Oh wow, that's a Lemon Law with "no teeth". Here in NJ and I'm sure in NY also (I see your are a dsplaced New Yorker. ) there is no time limit, just that they have to fix the problem within 3 tries.

Well, if it doesn't bother you that much, keep driving it until the whole drive train falls out and then ask for a new TC and a new Tranny!

I will post back here when I find time to drop off the car.
emanon256 (09-11-2013)
Old 09-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Masking the Issue

All,

I was one of the first to receive the update a while back. Car was awesome, once again! I was at about 35k miles, maybe?

So, many moons later, I am experiencing the symptoms all over. I'm at 70k miles now. So for those who are looking toward the future... Well...

The problem now, is that the symptoms are escalating... And rapidly. It's like it's failing, and failure is imminent. I can tell the condition is degrading by the mile.

I scheduled a service appointment. Actually drove there, as it's on the way home, and my service advisor told me to be prepared to be without my 2011 TL AWD for three days. They didn't tell me no! They didn't tell me yes, about replacing the TC, either.

So, a few comments:

When we all bought our cars, new... There was NO issue. But miles later, there is an issue. and it's mechanical. Sorry, but firmware just doesn't degrade over time, usually. New firmware installed simply masks the mechanical problem. Whatever is causing the mechanical issue is, mostly, still there. They tried to reduce performance, which caused a gas mileage hit, oddly enough, but still are unable to prevent the TC from failing. With the update, you took a serious performance hit. You just didn't notice it, because the TC issue already, slowly, lowered your expectations!

Now, getting a new TC... Ok you buy yourself some time, especially since it comes with the new firmware, complete with performance hit. But unless they redesigned the TC... Well, you can see what's on the horizon.

Anyone know if the rate the performance differently between 2011 and the 2013 models?!?! Would be interesting for comparison.

Will reply what happens at my appointment!

Anyway, that's my rant. Ok, well one more rant... Why are there no inserts for the cup holders!??! Grrr!
Old 09-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Burning Brakes

To add..... When this first happened and the dealer did the software update but then realized that they didn't do it correctly when I went back the second time, and before Acura stopped it, they were coming this close to ordering a new TC and Tranny combo for me.

I asked them why both???? They said yeah, to make sure that they work in unison. Then Acura detected that they didn't properly installed the update in the first place and stopped the new TC/Tranny order.

I am glad that I'm not the only one re-experiencing this problem. I just know that eventually Acura to going to do some major replacement/recall a la 3rd Gen tranny debacle.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Intermediate

Ok, today is the day. I dropped the TL off at the dealer.

The loaner, a regular TL, is a BEAST compared to my SH-AWD. It's punchy, responsive, tight, smooth, powerful, etc. I feel in command and in control of the car, vs mine where I am just along for the boring ride.

If I can get that same feeling, or more, out of my TL SH-AWD, I'll be extremely happy. I forgot how much fun it was to drive.

Service advisor (guy I have never seen) who checked me in was kind of an a**. I wanted to smack him. This isn't normal, but it's adding to my frustration, especially if they come back with "this is normal behavior for your car."

We will see what happens.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:48 AM
10th Gear

Hi - I have 09 Acura SHAWD and just got my TC replaced. Engine pinging and low growl noise at low speed in stop and go traffic have been always there. After 2 weeks of repair in Santa Monica Acura - it just became less frequent. All the symptoms still there but it is just not as often as it used to be. Even this morning, that low growl still came back going 30 miles/hr. This is driving me nuts and I have been driving Acura since 2005, but thinking about other car because of this ongoing issues with their products. It is suppose to be premium brand and good quality but I doubt that a lot these days.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Intermediate

Steve,

Makes me wonder if they just flashed the module and said they replaced the TC, or actually replaced the TC.

I really hope I get the growl/vibration to go away at that 30 ish mph.
steveheaven (10-02-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Intermediate

Alright... the decision is in!

They are replacing the TC. It should be completed by Thursday.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RadioActive
Steve,

Makes me wonder if they just flashed the module and said they replaced the TC, or actually replaced the TC.

I really hope I get the growl/vibration to go away at that 30 ish mph.
Good luck to you! With mine the growling came back after approximately two months and the growling comes at slightly different speeds but close.

BTW, if they replaced the TC it should be clearly indicated on the repair order as it's a warranty replacement. Flashing the software is not exactly a "replacement".
Old 10-02-2013, 01:03 PM
10th Gear

Hello Kingmeow and Radioactive,
They replaced it. I got updated maybe 1 year ago when Acura did recall initially. not sure when exactly.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:25 PM
10th Gear

Just uploaded the clip I took last nite. It often makes noise at 30 miles and giving acceleration.
Thanks.

Last edited by steveheaven; 10-02-2013 at 01:35 PM.
RadioActive (10-09-2013)
Old 10-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Intermediate

Better, but not.

New torque converter installed. Retrieved the car on Saturday.

I will say that the car is like new, from a performance perspective. I can actually get up to speed quickly off the line. highway Acceleration from 55 to 80 is also easily done, and fairly smooth. Shifts appropriately as well.

The problem: most have experienced this, I think. While pressing the accelerator gently, as in going up a slight incline, or accelerating from say, 55 to 60, something small, the car just bogs down and refuses to increase the RPM unless you quickly punch the pedal down to force either a gear downshift, or something that increases RPM. accompanying this is that low rumble, vibration, and zero performance.

Even at highway speed, just maintaining it, it has a low rumble (non tire related). It's like the car just doesn't feel like waking up.

It's quite annoying and frustrating. Yeah, I have 70k miles on it,but...if I wanted this type of performance, I would have bought a (insert your non favorite make/model here.)

This behavior was only present at the dreaded 1500 RPM and 30 ish mph before the TC replacement. Now it's happening at any speed where the gear is not the best for the given speed. And never happened less than 30k miles.

I think this doesn't happen when the engine is cold, but I can not say for sure.

Sport manual mode isn't much better, but I can keep it in 4th and be somewhat ok.

Taking back for another examination on Tuesday. I'm actually at 69500 miles. Power train warranty is to 70k. Yikes! I drive a lot, but not this weekend I guess.

Was asked if I use premium fuel... Of course... And have every receipt to prove it. Thank goodness for scanning in all my expense reports!

Maybe another 500 miles will allow the computers to adjust. I doubt it, though. Already put 300 on it since Saturday.

Stay tuned!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the video Steve! I need to get to a pc with speakers! The ipad speaker doesnt do the sound justice!
Old 10-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
Ok, today is the day. I dropped the TL off at the dealer.

The loaner, a regular TL, is a BEAST compared to my SH-AWD. It's punchy, responsive, tight, smooth, powerful, etc. I feel in command and in control of the car, vs mine where I am just along for the boring ride.

If I can get that same feeling, or more, out of my TL SH-AWD, I'll be extremely happy. I forgot how much fun it was to drive.

Service advisor (guy I have never seen) who checked me in was kind of an a**. I wanted to smack him. This isn't normal, but it's adding to my frustration, especially if they come back with "this is normal behavior for your car."

We will see what happens.
THis is exactly what i habe been saying hte whole time my Base TL ran 100 times better than the AWD i would actully go back to it. smooth responsive and goes like a bullet. how can we change our SHAWD models drive like that? i think it has to do with the ECU.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Posted above: No all you need to do is drain and refill the transmission at this time

This is very likely not true. If you have real mechanical/electronic issues, changing the fluid will not accomplish anything. Almost all of the symptoms described in this thread are (probably) related to malfunctioning of the lock-up clutch inside the torque converter. When the lockup is on there is a mechanical connection between the engine and transmission. This interferes with the proper downshifting of the transmission. The lock-up is only supposed to work (to improve gas mileage) at higher speeds and when the trans is in top gear and when the vehicle is warmed up. Unfortunately it sounds like even the replacement converters have the same issue as the originals. This is understandable if the converter mfr supplied Acura with thousands of faulty converters with the same internal problems. I suppose it could also be related to faulty software/programming in the ecu, but I am not knowledgeable about that. (The reason I said "probably" above is because you can never really tell for sure what caused a problem until you dismantle all the parts, and sometimes even then you don't know for sure.)
Very unfortunate. In the extreme, this sounds like the basis of a class action suit.
JC (Former licensed transmission mechanic)

Last edited by jim_c; 10-10-2013 at 10:44 AM.
EnzosAcTL (01-18-2015)
Old 10-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Racer

^^^^ This is so eye opening for me, because this only ever happens to me when the engine is warmed up. Acura still refuses to repalce my TC, but I am now in agreement that it wont' help untill they figure out the actual problem. The ECU reprogram only changed the RPM of when the problem occurs.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Intermediate

So from my post above...

I think this doesn't happen when the engine is cold, but I can not say for sure

Maybe it wasn't my imagination!
Old 10-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Racer

So from my post above...

Maybe it wasn't my imagination!
I don't think it was. I thought it was my imagination too until reading JCs post.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Intermediate

Other ideas

Tonight, I was very irritated with the TL SHAWD.

Sluggishness and vibrations kept getting increasingly annoying. So I made a list of things to try:

Air filter
Plug wires
Plugs
Fuel injector cleaner
Fuel filter
Lexus

Etc...

I'm not that thrilled about replacing anything that can cause loss of vehicle for a prolonged period if i mess it up, so, I started at the top of the list.

Opened up the air filter to see what shape it was in. Well, not good! Filthy. Thought this was part of one of the cryptic maintenance minder services. But it looks 70k miles old! Not to mention some sort of plastic Baggie looking thing was in there.

Wanted a K&N but no place here keeps them in stock, so Fram it was.

Thought the new TC increased performance to the max... Well, I was wrong... New air filter increased performance substantially, while simultaneously removing unwanted plastic bag. Some ... But not all of the low rumbles went away. But again, might be my imagination noticing what I hope to notice.

I will get back to normal driving tomorrow to see what happens. Only had maybe five minutes of test time tonight.

Anyway, just an idea if you have not replaced your filter in a while.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:30 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
sometimes i envy you sh-awd owners.. but when i see threads about problems with the sh-awd.. i think to myself.. fuck.. i got lucky and avoided all this shit..

hope you guys get these things fixed..
Old 10-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Intermediate

bummer

Had about 150 great miles today. Very little low rpm rumble and vibration. Then, things just started deteriorating.

I'm not completely sure how the computer adjusts to changing conditions, but seems like it didn't know what to do with increased airflow for a while.

Great performance in the beginning, then it decided to say "nope.... We can't allow this..." And degraded back to normal.

Whoever did the software for this, I believe, really messed up.

Oh, since the TC replacement... No appreciable change in gas mileage. Still get about 360 miles per tank. Which usually is about 15+/- gallons. It's a lot of highway driving. But stop and go during rush hour.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
I think my car is beginning to exhibit this behavior, but hoping I maybe just got a bad tank of gas. We were on the road for 4 hours yesterday, and any time we approached steep inclines under 50mph my rpm's would do the dance under 1K. If I pushed the pedal or switched to S mode the problem was immediately fixed. I have 22K miles on a 2012 SH-AWD
Old 10-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Touge Chaser

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
I would recommend disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes, letting the ECU completely reset all of its parameters. This will allow your ECU to adapt to your current driving conditions and environment with no parameters in the ECU history to base anything on.
This solved a lot of the initial hesitation problems for me when I first got my TL, and my S2000.

It's also good for the engine to floor it and get into the high RPM range every once in a while.

Are other model SH-AWD Acura owners from the same generation experiencing similar problems?

Last edited by DefMunkie; 10-18-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:36 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Recently had the torque converter replaced and software upgrade done. After about a month and a few tanks of gas, I am getting about 2.5 to 3 mpgs less than before the upgrade. However I can't be certain that the mpg drop is not due to the weather change and winter blend gas. Time will tell. The good news is no more judder and the car shifts smoothly and performance is good. Anybody that had the TC replaced have any gas mileage update?
Old 11-18-2013, 10:04 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got my 2012 AWD diagnosed with a bad TC, after many attempts to prove it to them, at 27,000 miles and they replaced it over the weekend. I am getting it back tomorrow and I will keep an eye on my gas mileage. I was hoping this had been confined to the 2009-2011 5at models but it appears it's into the 6spd at's as well. Will let you k now about the MPG's.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:30 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2010 AWD has the judder. I thought it was normal (mine sounds like brakes on a tractor trailer) until I read this thread (thanks to all). I called in dealer service at the place the car was originally leased from. The service adviser told me that I was out of warranty ( I have 56,000 miles ) and gave me a phone number to to call. I called the number ( it was Honda Corporate ) and was told that my car was not out of warranty (72,000 mile powertrain ). That the dealer must first diagnose the problem and if I was not satisfied give them a call back. They created a case number for me. I called the dealership back with answers from Corporate and the same guy started singing a different tune. He was respectful and gave me a convenient appointment. Will see what happens next.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any updates guy/girls?
Old 12-17-2013, 08:05 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so just took my car in for the growling and shuddering it already had the update done so now they are ordering a new tc gonna see how it goes niello acura was very easy to work with no problems
Old 12-27-2013, 02:33 PM
Instructor

Tranny is in wrong gear. At 30mi/hr the gear should be at 3rd gear at most. But the ecu is telling the tranny "let's shift 2nd to 5th now and stay that way until we get more gas from the driver"
Old 12-27-2013, 05:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Mine has not gotten worse or better. It does seem to happen less but I think it's because of the cold and I drive short distances to work now. I'm going to leave it until it gets warmer and see if it gets worse and what other's experiences are.

To note, mine had the software update AND the TC was replaced.

I do know that to get further action, the Service Manager told me that they would need to keep the car and put a data recorder on it. Then they contact corporate and they approve a tranny/TC combo replacement. Supposedly the combo "matches" a tranny to a TC.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:25 PM
Touge Chaser

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
I changed out my Transmission (just drain and fill not full flush) and TC fluids with the Royal Purple Max ATF and after over 1,000 miles I can report back that my hesitation issues have been improved. The shudder that used to happen between 25 and 40mph under light acceleration is occurring rarely and is less violent.

Also used RP Max Gear in the Diff.

I'm over 56,000 miles right now and fluids were replaced at 55,000 miles.

A re-flash and TC have been replaced in the past. I'm happy with the current results.
deuce415 (01-10-2014)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone do the torque converter transmission program recall?