4th gen. 2012 TL TORQUE CONVERTER issue w/6sp auto.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 10:40 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4th gen. 2012 TL TORQUE CONVERTER issue w/6sp auto.

Howdy--my first post. I've got a 2012 TL FWD model and have been experiencing the same issues I've seen well described in longer threads about pre-2012 4th gens with the 5-sp auto. I'm wondering if any folks with 2012s or 2013s have had their torque converters go out / replaced yet? I notice it most between 1st/2nd gears, and a little between 3rd/4th gears. Same method: gradual acceleration elicits the symptoms of shudder and tach hunting. I googled TSBs for the 6sp and torque converter but couldn't find anything. I'm wondering if--since it's the same engine as the 5sp. uses, but a new transmission... could it be the same torque converter?

Just sucks, I've got just under 40k on the car and this is stressing me out. I just bought it like two weeks ago and only started noticing it this weekend. Mechanic said everything checked out in the pre-purchase inspection.

Any tips or forum posts I didn't find (maybe I didn't use the correct search terms)?

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2015, 10:45 PM
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny you mention this as I am in EXACTLY the same situation. I bought a 2012 TL FWD last week with less than 30k miles and I can't tell if it is all in my head because of what I've seen here or if there is truly an issue. I have absolutely nothing to offer on the subject, but I will be following closely to see what others have to say!
Old 09-01-2015, 10:50 PM
10th Gear

I doubt it's in your head. I noticed it pretty easily. I thought it was hesitating because I had the A/C on and had just started it up in the morning. But it continues to do it, and it's only when gradually accelerating, only first couple of gear changes. And if you go on YouTube and look for Acura tach hunting or gear hunting, you'll see the same thing. Honda sourced some bunk torque converters. And they're gonna pay for it. I'm pissed...
Old 09-01-2015, 11:53 PM
10th Gear

I just submitted a complaint. Not sure if this even has any effect, but I wanted to make sure I was taking the proper "paper trail" steps. If you feel like submitting one as well, here's the link: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml
Old 09-02-2015, 09:14 AM
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the link, I have some time off next week so I will make a service request. I was just doing some research on the warranty, which I should be well within. I don't think my issues are as bad as what others have described, but there is a noticable hesitation in the lower gears and just isn't as smooth overall as I expected. Keep me updated since it looks like we will be working through the process at the same time.
The following users liked this post:
orkoTL (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 07:32 PM
10th Gear

Here's an earlier one. Looks like we need to take it in and push for snapshot and TC replacement: https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...-right-924246/
Old 09-03-2015, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
try changing the fluid out and see if it helps
Old 09-03-2015, 04:04 PM
Flagship Aspec

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
My 12 is at the dealer getting a tranny for this at 60. I have an awd though not sure if there is a difference between them. They already did the update which did not correct anything.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:09 PM
10th Gear

I got two new pieces of information today. First, here's a short video I took and uploaded of the characteristic "tach hunting." It starts around the 21 second mark. To trigger the symptom, I had the A/C on (low), and accelerated pretty good up a hill in 2nd gear, then let the tach settle down and then applied steady pressure on the throttle.

The second thing I did was to go to my regular mechanic that I trust. First, I asked him "what's the classic symptom of a torque converter going out." "Shudder when taking off, or just after gear changes." That's exactly what the other symptom is. Then he hopped in for a test drive with me and said, "this feels like a torque converter failing, yes."

So with those two symptoms documented that I've seen a lot of evidence for in the 4th gen. 5-speed threads, I think it's safe to say this TC failure syndrome also affects the 4th gen. 6-speed. I'm going to take this preponderance of evidence to the Seattle Acura dealer and see what they've got to say. Hopefully they will stand by their product and not give me the run around. I've still got 2 years left on the power train warranty.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:09 PM
10th Gear

2012 Acura TL "tach hunting": https://youtu.be/a-dWNEJ3g74
Old 09-04-2015, 08:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
My '12 SH-AWD does the same tach hunting, normally between 30-45mph, and much more frequently going uphill. Its been so annoying the last couple weeks I've just been driving in S mode. I should make an appt with the dealer but the problem is gone in S mode, although my mpg is suffering a bit. 37500 miles on the ODO
Old 09-04-2015, 03:14 PM
10th Gear

I hear you. But we shouldn't have to drive in S-mode to experience acceptable power train performance. My old car (16 year old Camry V6) *never* had issues like this during the life of the car (140,000) and still doesn't. Hopefully Acura addresses the issue and we don't hear too many more BS reports of Acura techs saying it's a "characteristic" of the car. Yeah... it's a characteristic of a car with a worn TC and poorly programmed shift points. Lol.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:31 PM
7th Gear

I was going to put a post myself. I have an 09 and started having some issues.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:38 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts
I have a 2009 and I got it confirmed by a Acura Tech. Basically, it happens at around 1000-1200 RPM and it has to be under load. This is when clutch plate is being engaged and will rumble. I got the tech to confirm and document it in report. It's not too loud and they said it's not out of spec. There is a TSB and extension of warranty for it so I will address it closer to end of warranty period. It has only 90000 km on it.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:11 AM
Porkchop Sandwiches!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just had mine replaced at the dealership, so I can confirm that this still an issue. Acura keeps digging themselves into a bigger and bigger hole with transmissions. My 2G had 3rd gear failure happen twice within 100k miles, my 4G is exhibiting issues at just 21k, and the 5G loaner I had shifted like it was ready to explode... I keep coming back to Acura because of the value proposition but I think moving forward I'll be looking elsewhere. Unless... they bring back a stick shift.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:33 PM
Burning Brakes

I was going to call today but didn't get around to it. I'm hoping a new torque converter may convince me to keep the car a few more years. I'm on the fence right now, and need new tires. So if I keep her I think now is the time for new rims. Might rekindle the love.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:08 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2012 TL front wheel drive. Had clunky shifting in first two gears. Took to Acura dealer. They sent info to Aura and replaced torque converter. Very smooth now. 40,000 miles.
orkoTL (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 11:13 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by guavablues
I have a 2012 TL front wheel drive. Had clunky shifting in first two gears. Took to Acura dealer. They sent info to Aura and replaced torque converter. Very smooth now. 40,000 miles.
Thanks for the info. Was there anything in your discussion with the service dept that we should know about? Did you insist on driving it with a tech as others have suggested? Did you pressure them to replace the torque converter? Or did the service dept. initiate everything?
Old 09-10-2015, 06:55 AM
5th Gear

The people at the dealership drove it and said they noticed the problem. They did the diagnostic information on it and sent it to Acura. They ok'd the new torque converter.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:17 PM
10th Gear

I have a 2012 awd-sh and experienced a torque convertor issue at around 55k kms. Took it to the dealership and they replaced it for me at no cost - was still under warranty, thankfully.

It's apparently a known issue. Fingers crossed that the replaced part doesn't bust in the future.

Good luck.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:32 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
For some reason the Acura Dealership within East Coast are aware of this issue, West Coast on the other hand like CA, NV, AZ and UT are not aware of Torque Converter issue. Been back and forth at my local Acura but stated its normal.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:07 PM
Cruisin'

Just got my 2013 TL SH-AWD Advance 2 weeks ago and it's in the shop for TC replacement, bad rear rotors and a burst tire!

I had been aware of the transmission issues so was on the lookout for typical symptoms. I would suggest if anyone feels a hesitation off the line or jerky shifting, you need to take it in and get it looked at. The powertrain is under warranty for 100k miles (which was a sigh of relief for me!) but I was extremely disappointed that the car had so many issues just a couple weeks into ownership.

Plus: excellent customer service from the dealer.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:21 PM
10th Gear

Finally got sick enough of it that I scheduled to take it to the dealership to drive with a tech. Hopefully I'll be able to get it fixed without going through too much BS; I really hope you're wrong about the west coast thing.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:49 PM
1st Gear

Exclamation Replaced!

I have a 2012 TL Tech with 40100 and just picked up the car today from service .
Had the torque converter replaced and the battery (for the 2nd time). They did not give me a hard time, it was the first time I took it in, it took 2 days to get it done, but I am considering replacing the vehicle.
Has anyone had any issues after replacement?
guavablues (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 08:27 PM
5th Gear

I am wondering if the new torque converter will last as well. I guess we will see.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:41 PM
Instructor

Any of you who has/had problems with Torque Coverter issues, Especially in California? What Dealer would you recommend located in Southern California? For the last six months I've been in and out of my local dealership and they tell me that they never heard of TQ failure or replaced for the 4th gen TL. They test drove the car over and over but always come back as "Cannot Duplicate" and the jerkiness/gear hunting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd is normal for the TL. Software has been updated and transmission fluid replaced but problem still exist.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:22 PM
10th Gear

UPDATE: Mostly resolved. Finally took my car into the dealership. Was actually a good experience. Took the tech out on a test drive, and we were able to recreate the symptom (known as transmission/TC chatter) on the 1st attempt. He said, "yep, TC." Like many have reported, the first attempted fix was new tranny fluid and a reflash. He said my car hadn't had any reflashes, and that there was a "bundled" update. I only paid for the fluid (about $100). Took an hour. Drove after and it's 95% better. There's still a little "bounce" between 1st-2nd, but it's only 1 bounce instead of the usual 3-4, and the 2nd-3rd is completely gone. Also, the transmission overall just seems "smarter." This was at Acura of Seattle. The tech told me that if it starts happening more, it will be pretty easy to get the specs from the car and get Acura to order the R&R.

Thanks to all who replied!
Old 09-30-2015, 09:27 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Inspire08
Any of you who has/had problems with Torque Coverter issues, Especially in California? What Dealer would you recommend located in Southern California? For the last six months I've been in and out of my local dealership and they tell me that they never heard of TQ failure or replaced for the 4th gen TL. They test drove the car over and over but always come back as "Cannot Duplicate" and the jerkiness/gear hunting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd is normal for the TL. Software has been updated and transmission fluid replaced but problem still exist.
That sucks! Totally opposite of what I experienced. And tech called it right away--he was driving, I was in passenger seat giving instructions. I noticed that the more "loaded" the transmission, the more intense the symptoms. So: going up a hill (load) that curves with A/C on from a dead stop with moderate (40%) acceleration. I would *insist* on accompanying the tech on the test drive. If they balk at that, walk away. Then write them up on Yelp and anything else as the duplicitous snake oil servants that they are.

Also, logically, their argument doesn't make sense. In one breath, they say they can't duplicate, then say jerkiness (the symptom) is normal--if it's normal, why the fu*k can't they duplicate normal???!!!!

Hope you have better luck in the future--man, that pisses me off just hearing about it.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
I was going to call today but didn't get around to it. I'm hoping a new torque converter may convince me to keep the car a few more years. I'm on the fence right now, and need new tires. So if I keep her I think now is the time for new rims. Might rekindle the love.
Soooo...I called a couple weeks ago and got an appt for the torque converter. Tech went on a ride with me, and witnessed the tach hunting and sluggish shifting. They performed an *electrical study* as they called it to send to Acura engineering. Within a couple hours they approved the TC replacement.

Fast forward a week - got the car back. Immediately noticed upon shifting into D the idle was much more noticeable than before. Not exactly rough or vibrating, but much more prominent. In Park it feels just like it always did, but in D or S when at a complete stop the idle feels completely different. Well, I figured the TC was a big job, maybe it needs to break in or something. We take off for home. I did notice the car shifting a lot smoother, and no tach hunting at all. I think its shifting better than new truthfully.

Anyway, after a day or 2 I notice a new sound, like a whistle underneath the car, only above 55 mph and only under acceleration. Mind you I had the propellor shaft replaced a year or so back. This was a different sound.

I get in touch with the shop and they had me bring it back today. After a drive with the tech they hear the sound too, but don't know what it is. They put it on the lift, and I get a loaner...

Get a call this afternoon that the noise is one of two things - either something in the front differential, or something in the transmission itself, not related to the TC. Now I play the waiting game, but they did give me a loaded MDX SH-AWD to drive around
Old 09-30-2015, 11:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by orkoTL
That sucks! Totally opposite of what I experienced. And tech called it right away--he was driving, I was in passenger seat giving instructions. I noticed that the more "loaded" the transmission, the more intense the symptoms. So: going up a hill (load) that curves with A/C on from a dead stop with moderate (40%) acceleration. I would *insist* on accompanying the tech on the test drive. If they balk at that, walk away. Then write them up on Yelp and anything else as the duplicitous snake oil servants that they are.

Also, logically, their argument doesn't make sense. In one breath, they say they can't duplicate, then say jerkiness (the symptom) is normal--if it's normal, why the fu*k can't they duplicate normal???!!!!

Hope you have better luck in the future--man, that pisses me off just hearing about it.
That a bummer when you live with two Acura dealership (Las Vegas). I'm thinking of driving to Southern Cali to get it check, both local Acura has never heard of this TC issue.....both stated I would be the first one but since they cannot duplicate they can't Do anything. I had the Lead Mechanic and said that's how the TL operates even his TL. I noted that coming from a stop the car would jerk and shifting bounces back but my tach does not.

If anyone can chime in where to go or what dealership in Southern Cali.,that had issues and TC was replaced let me know.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:25 PM
Instructor

So far I have 6 records on file between two dealership, so if my TC fail pass my warranty I have proof to show them. Corporate suggested to bring it to another dealer and get it checked, wonder how will that work if they ever give me a loaner car (state to state)?
Old 10-17-2015, 10:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
TC video

I just posted my problem on another thread and the dealership is replacing my TC. Here is the video I gave them.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
TL.MOV (2.99 MB, 1369 views)

Last edited by Chef Ray; 10-17-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:19 AM
2010 TL SH-AWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chef Ray
I just posted my problem on another thread and the dealership is replacing my TC. Here is the video I gave them.
I really don't know what im looking for other than I had to do a hand stand to watch it.
Edit: nevermind, saw it in your other post.

Last edited by S power; 10-17-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by S power
I really don't know what im looking for other than I had to do a hand stand to watch it.
Edit: nevermind, saw it in your other post.
sorry maybe I should had linked my other post to here. Just trying to help others by providing what my TL sounds like with bad torque converter.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

Manual cars do not have torque converters. I'm experiencing the same issue, it surges at low rpm in 4th 5th
Old 01-21-2016, 06:51 PM
Banned

I just paid 2 bills to get the full flush on my 2012 TL tranny per SA recommendation. I have 65k now and probably needed it. They said it would probably correct the issues with the shifts I was experiencing. I will say it's smoother overall - but I am still getting a jerky shift around 40 mph and I see the tach jumping from 1500 to 2000 RPM at times too.

Been driving for almost 40 years now and I don't recall any of my cars shifting like this. The dealer said they test drove it before the flush and it was definitely bad, so they took a snapshot and sent it to Acura, then replaced the tranny fluid (full replacement - meaning 3x), drove it again and it felt much smoother and Acura said snapshot showed TC was OK.

So I picked it up and drove home last night. It seemed better at first but then driving it today, I am feeling the jerks on the shifts - especially the 1 to 2 shift. So I called them today and left a message with my SA that all was not well - waiting to hear back .... does the above sound like the TC is bad to those who had the issue?
Old 01-23-2016, 12:49 PM
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts
2 weeks in

Glad I came across this site. Two weeks into owning this car and noticed it. Coming from a bmw to tl, just thought it was me needing to get used to the car. Now just sitting at the dealership waiting. Hope it's just a simple update and don't need to replace the TC.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:46 PM
Banned

SA at Acura said to give it 2 weeks. He said the tranny has to re-learn my driving style or something like that. I think that's reasonable. I drove it yesterday and today and didn't notice any issues. So perhaps he is right. Time will tell ...
Old 01-23-2016, 02:25 PM
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts
Just got done with mine and they said the TC was okay but I needed the updated done. Feels a lot different now. I hope it stays that way.
Originally Posted by jdigeorgio
SA at Acura said to give it 2 weeks. He said the tranny has to re-learn my driving style or something like that. I think that's reasonable. I drove it yesterday and today and didn't notice any issues. So perhaps he is right. Time will tell ...
Old 01-30-2016, 06:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jtech316
Just got done with mine and they said the TC was okay but I needed the updated done. Feels a lot different now. I hope it stays that way.
So you had the software update done then? Just curious because mine still feels odd. There was no mention of the software update - so I wonder if I need to ask about that.

SA said give it 2 weeks after the fluid replacement but I can already tell that something still doesn't feel right. The tranny just isn't smooth ... and it hesitates to shift - especially in the lower ranges (stop and go traffic where you are constantly starting and stopping and you never really get above 40 mph is the most annoying).

Quick Reply: 4th gen. 2012 TL TORQUE CONVERTER issue w/6sp auto.