2014 SH-AWD highway vibration, pulls to the left

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 09:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
2014 SH-AWD highway vibration, pulls to the left

I have a feeling that my newly acquired CPO 2014 TL (30k miles) has slight highway vibrations past 75+ mph, plus it pulls to the left. I have read through most of the threads available and in few cases the balancing/alignment or tire replacement fixed the problem. My tires were already balanced and the alignment was checked by the dealer, but not sure what to do next at this point. Unless I can somehow know for sure that my tires are the issue, I do not want to drop a grand to have them replaced, or should the dealer cover the cost of the replacement? Just wondering to what extreme people in the past went to get this addressed and were those issues actually addressed or people just gave up or sold the affected. As some of you might know, we have 2015 TLX SH-AWD that had the vibrations and transmission issues, but we gave up and sold the car. I really like this TL (much better than TLX btw), so I would not want to go to such extreme and sell it, but would like to address the problem. My TSX is perfectly smooth at any speed and my old 2006 TL was also smooth (not as smooth as TSX, but smoother than the new TL).

I appreciate any help.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:24 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Swap the front two tires and see if it pulls to the right.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:33 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Were the tires just recently rotated? Oddly enough, I just rotated my tires this past weekend, and now I'm having the exact same issues you describe. I'm going to rotate the front two around like mossman said and see if the pull switches over to the right. The front tires are pretty worn out, so it's probably time to start thinking about replacing them.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by mlody
I have a feeling that my newly acquired CPO 2014 TL (30k miles) has slight highway vibrations past 75+ mph, plus it pulls to the left. I have read through most of the threads available and in few cases the balancing/alignment or tire replacement fixed the problem. My tires were already balanced and the alignment was checked by the dealer, but not sure what to do next at this point. Unless I can somehow know for sure that my tires are the issue, I do not want to drop a grand to have them replaced, or should the dealer cover the cost of the replacement? Just wondering to what extreme people in the past went to get this addressed and were those issues actually addressed or people just gave up or sold the affected. As some of you might know, we have 2015 TLX SH-AWD that had the vibrations and transmission issues, but we gave up and sold the car. I really like this TL (much better than TLX btw), so I would not want to go to such extreme and sell it, but would like to address the problem. My TSX is perfectly smooth at any speed and my old 2006 TL was also smooth (not as smooth as TSX, but smoother than the new TL).

I appreciate any help.

That specific car was sitting for long time on dealers lot, so tires probably got some flat spots, or it had some rusty rotors....

Is it shimmy when you press brake pedal at high speeds? Take it indipedent shop, like Firestone to balance it. Usually,I dont trust dealers on things like that.
FYI whenever i rotate tires on my MDX it always pulls to the left, especially on I-55 (goes back to normal in two weeks or so)
Old 01-07-2017, 12:47 AM
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by mossman77
Swap the front two tires and see if it pulls to the right.
^^^^ This. If it does it's likely a "pulling" tire issue.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:44 PM
Burning Brakes

I am going t see the dealer this Saturday. We will see what they will recommend.

As far as the vibration under braking, I am not really feeling it, but there is definitely vibration and the car does not feel planted above 70-75. I can also feel the vibration in the gas pedal, but for instance, if I am taking a slight corner, it almost seem like the vibration is muting during the corner and reappears once the car is straight.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Today, I dropped of the car at the dealer for the 3rd time. I drove it with a shop foreman and he immediately noticed the vibrations. I am hoping that they will be able to get to the bottom of the issue now.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Wow sorry to hear about your misfortunes if they can't figure it out then there's something seriously wrong with that stealership. If it doesnt get resolved i would probably take it a step further and talk to the owner or manager. It's obviously the tires or your suspension I remember seeing a thread about a member having the same issues and once Acura finally replaced the tires or rotated and balanced it problem solved. There's a bulletin on here about our vehicle listed https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...inside-945434/ and since your vehicle is a CPO take it there and make sure they find out what's wrong with it and while your at it enjoy a nice rental or loaner in the meantime. Hope this helps and good luck. Give us an update if possible.

Last edited by Soal Man; 02-19-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Quick update on the vibrations. The dealer didn't much hesitate and replaced the tires with a brand new OE set. I am very happy with the outcome cause the car drives much better now, plus it saved me easily over $1000 as I would need to get a new set on my own in a year or so anyway.

As far as the drive quality, I find that the SH-AWD is much harsher than any other cars I have had in the past, including TLX SH-AWD, 3g TL, 1g and 2g TSX, so one can definitely feel more road and bumps driving this car than some other Acuras and Hondas
Old 03-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mlody
Quick update on the vibrations. The dealer didn't much hesitate and replaced the tires with a brand new OE set. I am very happy with the outcome cause the car drives much better now, plus it saved me easily over $1000 as I would need to get a new set on my own in a year or so anyway.

As far as the drive quality, I find that the SH-AWD is much harsher than any other cars I have had in the past, including TLX SH-AWD, 3g TL, 1g and 2g TSX, so one can definitely feel more road and bumps driving this car than some other Acuras and Hondas
Glad to know that you got the situation resolved and had the dealer pay for it. That's a win win in my book. Now with the harsh ride your gonna need better set of tires, but that's gonna have to come out of your own pocket. If your not feeling the ride quality of the tires that the dealer provided for you I suggest going with either grand touring tires or Ultra high performance tires to fit your needs. Tire rack has tons of reviews from customers and they have their own reviews and research including videos so you get an idea what specific tires does what in real life scenarios...

Last edited by Soal Man; 03-06-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:32 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-p.../#post15983469
Old 03-26-2017, 09:40 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Has to be steering geometry. Too many cars with this problem and the same tires do not produce the same problem on other cars. That many tire manufacturers can't possibly have defective tires. Taking it to my cousin who is an automotive attorney to see what he suggests.