2010 TL sh 6sp high rev to get car in motion

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 07:15 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 TL sh 6sp high rev to get car in motion

So I been driving my car the last couple weeks and everything has been fine. Then a day or so ago I was driving and noticed that I have to basically rev the engine high in each gear to get it to move. So the car is revving all the way up to 5000 rpm before if feels like it even starts to drive. I have been smelling a burning smell in the car mostly when the heat is on but when it's off I smell it but not as much, has like a burnt plastic smell. So my question is if this is a transmission problem which is weird cause it is a standard car and each gear goes in smooth and doesn't yank right out or could this be a engine problem? Only thing I have done to the car so far is just changed the oil since I've owed it. Last guy that owed it said " he changed the clutch" but who knows if that's true. It was pulling and shifting well since I had it though. We had gotten snow in my area and I did see a hill assist come on the dash when I was going down a hill at low seed in second gear also if that means anything. If anyone has any symptoms that it might be or anyway to check what it may be that'll be helpful to start the process of getting it fixed.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:21 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
first of all; the high revving is apart of the engine's characteristics. the car makes peak power at 6500 RPM. (have you ever heard of vtec?)

2nd; if you are smelling something burning after a high speed run, you are riding the clutch!!!
the clutch is a wear and tear item and WITH PROPER technique can last the lifetime of the car...HOWEVER, if you or the previous owner abuses the clutch, and it's not hard to abuse this clutch...you're gonna go through clutches, easy...

third; if the gear selector wont go in gear, you might need to change the transmission oil, as it wears out just like engine oil
Old 02-18-2017, 04:37 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
If the car is revving but not moving at a proportional speed, and you have a burning smell, it likely means your clutch is slipping (assuming this is happening when it is completely engaged). If it's happening when your foot is on the pedal, you're riding (slipping) the clutch by having it slightly disengaged. The TL's clutch does not like this.