Ktuner- The first tuning solution for the 4G TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 09:30 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I second that boost question. I have about $7,000 burning a hole in my pocket. I either need to make this thing go faster and have it as my year round car, or buy a go-fast toy for next summer.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:36 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by blackkramer
I second that boost question. I have about $7,000 burning a hole in my pocket. I either need to make this thing go faster and have it as my year round car, or buy a go-fast toy for next summer.
You will need way more than 7k to make it fast anyway, so your better off buying something else.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:52 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
better to start off with a boosted car...

acura should be part of this during the next FMC anyway
Old 10-11-2015, 04:14 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
So I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the KTuner this week, didn't realize it was out - I haven't logged in for awhile, busy tending to our first child With that said, I have a '10 SH-AWD 6MT and my wife has an '11 MDX SH-AWD. Can I tune both vehicles with one KTuner? I can't seem to confirm but it would appear what you're buying with the package is an OBD2 interface and the tuning software. The OBD2 interface doesn't have to stay in the car (I assume?) so I would think I could flash both vehicles with one kit. Is this a correct line of thinking? Hers will stay stock.

I'm talking with a gentleman here to buy his used XLR8 V1 J-pipe with test cat, and possibly look into HFPC's later, or since I don't have any emissions testing here, getting right of the main cat altogether and defeat the CEL with KTuner. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? I'll save up over the winter for a set of Tein SA's since my car is approaching 95k on it and I'm sure a fresh suspension would do it a world of good, though it's not exactly offensive at the moment...

Thanks for any input!
Todd
Old 10-11-2015, 05:26 PM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by toddrhodes
So I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the KTuner this week, didn't realize it was out - I haven't logged in for awhile, busy tending to our first child With that said, I have a '10 SH-AWD 6MT and my wife has an '11 MDX SH-AWD. Can I tune both vehicles with one KTuner? I can't seem to confirm but it would appear what you're buying with the package is an OBD2 interface and the tuning software. The OBD2 interface doesn't have to stay in the car (I assume?) so I would think I could flash both vehicles with one kit. Is this a correct line of thinking? Hers will stay stock.

I'm talking with a gentleman here to buy his used XLR8 V1 J-pipe with test cat, and possibly look into HFPC's later, or since I don't have any emissions testing here, getting right of the main cat altogether and defeat the CEL with KTuner. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? I'll save up over the winter for a set of Tein SA's since my car is approaching 95k on it and I'm sure a fresh suspension would do it a world of good, though it's not exactly offensive at the moment...

Thanks for any input!
Todd
The K Tuner cannot be used to flash both vehicles together. It is locked to the ECU of the vehicle being tuned. To unlock it you have to return the vehicle to the stock tune.
It is true that you do not need to have the unit plugged in to the vehicle all the time, basically it is used to flash the ECU with revised maps as you tune.

The Tein SA is a great coil over to purchase, adjustable dampening provides you with the option to tailor the ride to your comfort level.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:33 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Thank you KarKraze, that is very helpful!
Old 11-10-2015, 05:24 AM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
To quiet in here.... Whats good with the update
Old 11-10-2015, 08:54 AM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
I just installed some RV6 HFPCs this weekend to go in addition with my V2 J-Pipe and Takeda Intake. Now I've got my sights set on the KTuner upgrade next. My stupid question of the day is...

If I were to buy the KTuner online, can I plug it into my OBD2 port and reflash it myself? Or is it mandatory that when I buy this tuning software, that I have to take it to a shop that has a dyno for them to flash it and tune it to my car?

Also, if I just went to an authorized installer, would a KTuner install be cheaper than buying the actual KTuner device? What are the cons to doing this? (aside from not being able to return your ECU to factory settings whenever you wanted).

I hope my questions are legit!
Old 11-10-2015, 12:54 PM
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts
The end user kit allows you to flash it yourself.

If you don't want to flash it yourself you can have a KTuner dealer use the dealer flash tool to flash it, but as you said you won't be able to make any changes or flash back to factory.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:24 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Would you yield any positive results putting this on a stock 2010 6MT SH AWD? I have one, and its the first performance upgrade I purchased for the vehicle, but I'm assuming it wouldn't do any good
Old 11-10-2015, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Yes, especially on the top end.
The following users liked this post:
IIDXholic (11-17-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 08:21 AM
Colorado Springs

Originally Posted by TurbogixxerTuning
No, with fuel being different in almost every state, it is hard to have "one" tune that will be good for everything. 93 in florida is different then in new york for example. I would rather people have it tuned to the car for better results.
Originally Posted by KSeriesTuner
The end user kit allows you to flash it yourself.

If you don't want to flash it yourself you can have a KTuner dealer use the dealer flash tool to flash it, but as you said you won't be able to make any changes or flash back to factory.
Thanks for the reply! I have another question... So the KTuner base maps were created based on tuning a TL in the Chicago area, is that correct? If so, that means that the pump gas was probably purchased in Chicago, which gets all of their gas from the Whiting, IN refinery. Indianapolis also gets all of their gas from that same refinery. So if I elected to just install the base maps from KTuner, then I should theoretically make the same power because the fuel is the same, right?
Old 11-13-2015, 12:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by prepreludesh
Thanks for the reply! I have another question... So the KTuner base maps were created based on tuning a TL in the Chicago area, is that correct? If so, that means that the pump gas was probably purchased in Chicago, which gets all of their gas from the Whiting, IN refinery. Indianapolis also gets all of their gas from that same refinery. So if I elected to just install the base maps from KTuner, then I should theoretically make the same power because the fuel is the same, right?
There are many other things that affect tuning as well... I. E. Altitude. A car tuned for L. A. will probably run like shit in Colorado
Old 11-17-2015, 10:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
All I can say is, I'm happy of the results I got after the tune. It is expensive, cost me almost 1K overall for the kit and tune. That is not including the performance hardware. 4G runs very lean from the factory alone. Well worth the money if you want the best performance out of the 4G. Smooth power delivery throughout the rev range; right until the VTEC engages there is a slight bump. Pulls nicely thru all the gears. I'll rarely hit the peak hp though since it's at 6700 rpm.
KSeriesTuner (11-18-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 11:55 AM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by TeamAcura
All I can say is, I'm happy of the results I got after the tune. It is expensive, cost me almost 1K overall for the kit and tune. That is not including the performance hardware. 4G runs very lean from the factory alone. Well worth the money if you want the best performance out of the 4G. Smooth power delivery throughout the rev range; right until the VTEC engages there is a slight bump. Pulls nicely thru all the gears. I'll rarely hit the peak hp though since it's at 6700 rpm.
Using the base map?
Old 11-17-2015, 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

No sir. Custom tune.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:39 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
No sir. Custom tune.
I'm loving results for my E tune, car pulls so frickin hard and there's no delay
KSeriesTuner (11-18-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 01:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
I'm loving results for my E tune, car pulls so frickin hard and there's no delay
You have a lot more done to your car. However, mine pulls hard too. I can only imagine how yours is. I'd even go as far as saying you prolly have the fastest 4G out there.

Last edited by TeamAcura; 11-17-2015 at 01:57 PM.
HeartTLs (11-18-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 08:46 AM
Colorado Springs

1K eh? Did you buy the stand alone kit ($499) and then have the car tuned by another shop (assuming it was +$500)?

I'm just trying to find the most inexpensive way to get KTuner on my car right now and get power gains. I am sure that a person tuning my car would probably be able to extract maybe 5 more HP than the KTuner pre-loaded maps for a J-Pipe and HFPC combo, but what I'm seeing as the most bang for my buck is just paying $299 for an authorized installer to reflash my car and then I'd have a 90% solution for the best gains I can get just short of having a full custom tune.

Last edited by prepreludesh; 11-18-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by prepreludesh
1K eh? Did you buy the stand alone kit ($499) and then have the car tuned by another shop (assuming it was +$500)?

I'm just trying to find the most inexpensive way to get KTuner on my car right now and get power gains. I am sure that a person tuning my car would probably be able to extract maybe 5 more HP than the KTuner pre-loaded maps for a J-Pipe and HFPC combo, but what I'm seeing as the most bang for my buck is just paying $299 for an authorized installer to reflash my car and then I'd have a 90% solution for the best gains I can get just short of having a full custom tune.
I got a small discount on the kit so it's close to 1k. The dyno tune itself was $500 at a local shop. Another route, you should consider is e tuning which was discussed in length in this thread. It will save you a couple hundred compared to what I ultimately paid. Another shop could charge cheaper but you will need to call around and get an estimate then work out the numbers. I've heard good things about e tuning though since it's real world data logging and not simulated on a dyno. Anyway, you would be surprised how much power a j pipe, catback and air filter can make with a good tune. HFPC is on my list next year.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
The $299 is a great bang for the buck, but i think it really depends on the amount of modifications your car has. If you just have a intake and catback, the Ktuner base tune would be fine and you probably won't see tons more power with a custom tune.

If you have full HFC exhaust, intake, pulley, etc. then you I think going with a custom tune would be the better option. Typically, the farther from stock you are the more the tune needs to be customized.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:34 PM
Pro

So far from the readings I have yet to se any real benefit of a aftermarket intake system. Sounds like a good exhaust upgrade and a K&N filter swap just does the trick. Has anyone here been able to tune with the ice box or that short ram and seen any efficient number gains?
Old 11-23-2015, 01:13 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Cruzan I'm tuned with the icebox and have gains, but no numbers to prove it. From datalogs Kenny was able to determine that airflow and velocity was best with CT-E, then stock. From other users he determined that stock was better than SRI, so I believe it's safe to say CT-E, Stock, then SRI. That said the SRI was tested on another vehicle with different mods than my own.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:47 PM
Pro

Cruzan I'm tuned with the icebox and have gains, but no numbers to prove it. From datalogs Kenny was able to determine that airflow and velocity was best with CT-E, then stock. From other users he determined that stock was better than SRI, so I believe it's safe to say CT-E, Stock, then SRI. That said the SRI was tested on another vehicle with different mods than my own.
Seems like that CT-E will be off the market for a while. But good intel thanks.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:59 PM
CLS^6

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
I swear I am close to ordering the K-tuner but I have a 7 year itch for a Z06 that I might have to scratch first. I will post details if it goes through. I might be in the minority, but Chevy's and Honda's are my favourite brands. Give me Small Block Chevy's and Honda J Series motors and I am very happy camper.

Anyway,
I know I have asked before, buuuuut.... I have XLR8 V2 J Pipe and CTE. Thats it. With the provided tune, I should see a performance gain right? E-tune will follow in the spring.

Thx
Old 12-04-2015, 04:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by suspekt360
I have XLR8 V2 J Pipe and CTE. Thats it. With the provided tune, I should see a performance gain right? E-tune will follow in the spring.

Thx
Yes, even with just those two upgrades, you'll see some power gains with the provided base tune. Obviously, the E-Tune will provide noticeably better gains.
KSeriesTuner (12-05-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 03:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by suspekt360
I swear I am close to ordering the K-tuner but I have a 7 year itch for a Z06 that I might have to scratch first. I will post details if it goes through. I might be in the minority, but Chevy's and Honda's are my favourite brands. Give me Small Block Chevy's and Honda J Series motors and I am very happy camper.

Anyway,
I know I have asked before, buuuuut.... I have XLR8 V2 J Pipe and CTE. Thats it. With the provided tune, I should see a performance gain right? E-tune will follow in the spring.

Thx
Get Z06 you wont regret it...FYIW get the newest version with the lowest miles your wallet can handle. There are a whole of garage queens out there..Really don't know why...Post pics when you get the BEAST
Old 12-09-2015, 10:54 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
I have J-Pipe, light weight pulley, sprint booster, ATLP exhaust, CT Air intake, Throttle body spacer, Manifold spacer and I am about 80% done on my e-tune. I know I will get flamed but the car is stupid fast for a daily driver. I actually can't remember last time I went it higher RPM's due to the tune. It is very smooth, my VTEC kicks in around 3900RPM. I think it is well worth the money.
The following 3 users liked this post by sympley:
carbonTSEX (12-10-2015), HeartTLs (12-14-2015), KSeriesTuner (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 12:20 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
Good to hear and you aren't running precat deletes or high flow precats.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:08 PM
The Original Shawdy

The Ktuner isn't locked to a vehicle. So all you need is everything included in the kit and its a straight drop in correct?

Thanks guys!
Old 12-11-2015, 07:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
The Ktuner isn't locked to a vehicle. So all you need is everything included in the kit and its a straight drop in correct?

Thanks guys!
Before installation you will have to lock it to your ECU. After that you will be able to upload the base map.

If you ever decide to sell the unit then you can unlock it from your ECU and return to stock tune.
carbonTSEX (12-12-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 09:16 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Also the ktuner should be safe correct? As in my motor won't be getting any problems because of the tune down the line? I know it's only been out for a few months now so it's hard to really know. Probably going to buy one for Christmas. Thanks guys
Old 12-12-2015, 02:25 AM
The Original Shawdy

Originally Posted by ffmjst
Also the ktuner should be safe correct? As in my motor won't be getting any problems because of the tune down the line? I know it's only been out for a few months now so it's hard to really know. Probably going to buy one for Christmas. Thanks guys
Same. There is one for sale in the black market for $350 shipped. Steal. Wife wants me to buy new though.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Same. There is one for sale in the black market for $350 shipped. Steal. Wife wants me to buy new though.
You want to buy Ktuner for your wife?
Old 12-12-2015, 05:01 PM
Drifting

The unit is safe, however in the hands of an incompetent tuner it can have negative results. Your tuner is the key to reliability.

I like to purchase new as well. However,that is a great deal, once the unit is undamaged and functional it hardly matters if it's used or not.

It is only an interface between your ECU and the tune, after your tune is uploaded it is removed and only used if you need to update your tune or return to stock.
carbonTSEX (12-12-2015)
Old 12-12-2015, 06:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by KarKraze
The unit is safe, however in the hands of an incompetent tuner it can have negative results. Your tuner is the key to reliability.
I think I am getting it dyno tuned at Xenocron in New York. They work with Ktuner and I've heard they are very good tuners. Has anyone gotten their car tuned with them?
Old 12-12-2015, 07:40 PM
Pro

I think I am getting it dyno tuned at Xenocron in New York. They work with Ktuner and I've heard they are very good tuners. Has anyone gotten their car tuned with them?
Do you have the awd?
Old 12-12-2015, 09:08 PM
Racer

2010 fwd
Old 12-13-2015, 07:58 AM
Instructor

The owner at Xenocron is an excellent tuner and from what I understand he may be bringing on a second tuner who's also very good as well.

If you buy used make sure to confirm it's unlocked by the seller first!
Old 12-13-2015, 11:46 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by KSeriesTuner
The owner at Xenocron is an excellent tuner and from what I understand he may be bringing on a second tuner who's also very good as well.

If you buy used make sure to confirm it's unlocked by the seller first!
Do you have a list of tuners you can recommend in the North East, Penn, Ohio and even Michigan that would have a AWD dyno.

Quick Reply: Ktuner- The first tuning solution for the 4G TL