Ktuner- The first tuning solution for the 4G TL

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 10:32 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Hey guys, I just saw this thread now and I would like to first say that this is fkn awesome!! Thank you Ktuner for finally solving this motor for our 4G TL's! I think we can all say that we greatly appreciate it.

My main question is and I'm sorry if it has been somewhat answered already but I was a little confused with some of the info here. But my question is: do we NEED to have the car dyno tuned or e-tuned with the user end kit? Or does this just provide even more gains? Say I set the tune to one of the programmed settings would I still see the gains or do I need to have the car tuned from a shop as well?

Thanks everyone in advance!! Can't wait to buy one of these.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:10 AM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
^^ Hope this will clarify your confusion. From the info I received and my understanding of it, the base map provided is basically the stock parameters of the ECU.Your tuner will custom tune your car by using this base software to adjust the parameters within the ECU to provide optimum performance based on the mods you have via an E Tune or a dyno tune.To get the best results from these types of software it is best to have the car tuned by someone competent even if your car is stock.However, if you plan to do other performance mods then you should do them first or you will have to re tune after any additions. Dyno tuning can be very costly.

An E Tune is basically an exchange of info (Emails based on data logging ) between you and your tuner, this can go on for a considerable time ( days/weeks) until the tune is complete.

On the dyno,your tuner will be able to completely tune your car within 3 to 4 hours as he /she can analyse the data in real time,most time after the dyno tune the tuner will also test drive the car to do some fine tuning on the fly. The dyno will also provide you with a printout of base runs vs runs with the tune on which you will see the difference the tune made.

Hope I have explained it completely and perhaps other can chime in and shed more light.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:46 AM
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts
There is the factory tune and a base tune included. Tuning will provide more gains. Because we've seen intakes for this platform throw fueling off up to 20% it's best to get tuned or e-tuned to clean that up. The base tune has been kept conservative because of the intakes being so poorly designed, but you will certainly feel a noticeable difference even without further tuning.

The ECU will attempt to correct fueling, but it's not perfect at doing so when the MAF curve has been compromised.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:59 AM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by KSeriesTuner
There is the factory tune and a base tune included. Tuning will provide more gains. Because we've seen intakes for this platform throw fueling off up to 20% it's best to get tuned or e-tuned to clean that up. The base tune has been kept conservative because of the intakes being so poorly designed, but you will certainly feel a noticeable difference even without further tuning.

The ECU will attempt to correct fueling, but it's not perfect at doing so when the MAF curve has been compromised.
So basically factory tune is what we have right now and can be used to go back to stock if we need to and base tune is a slight bump over factory tune and will net some extra power?
How much more? Approximately 5%?
Old 06-15-2015, 02:35 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ffmjst
Hey guys, I just saw this thread now and I would like to first say that this is fkn awesome!! Thank you Ktuner for finally solving this motor for our 4G TL's! I think we can all say that we greatly appreciate it.

My main question is and I'm sorry if it has been somewhat answered already but I was a little confused with some of the info here. But my question is: do we NEED to have the car dyno tuned or e-tuned with the user end kit? Or does this just provide even more gains? Say I set the tune to one of the programmed settings would I still see the gains or do I need to have the car tuned from a shop as well?

Thanks everyone in advance!! Can't wait to buy one of these.
I did some research today & I called Phearable.net about it and talked to John Vega about it.

He said the ktuner flash kit comes with the hardware needed to flash the vehicle with a basemap from the ktuner software. He recommended a dyno tune or remote etune for the best results.

I am going to call him after pay day and order one for my wife's car :-)
Old 06-15-2015, 03:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
ordered it today from xlr8 today!! cant wait!
The following 2 users liked this post by 00laguna:
ExcelerateRep (06-17-2015), shimano (06-15-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 03:58 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 00laguna
I called xlr8 earlier today. Spoke to some guy that was clueless.
Then I called phearable.net and they answered all my questions.

I don't know if I spoke to someone that is just a helper at xlr8 or if they don't really tune cars or what.

Anyways i can't wait to get mine in.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by Skier4lyfe303
Josh please elaborate on "as well some other maps for some other items we have in the works"

True Dual Exhaust, Intake, Supercharger or Turbo?
From what Josh has told me it will incorporate tunes for our XLR8 V2 J-Pipe, and XLR8 Catback exhaust. Unfortunately we won't have a tune for an intake for a little while longer.

Thank you for your business!! It just shipped a little while ago. Definitely write a review for us so we have some feedback.

Originally Posted by shimano

I don't know if I spoke to someone that is just a helper at xlr8 or if they don't really tune cars or what.

I'm not sure who you spoke with, but if you ask to speak with Tom or Josh we can certainly help you out and answer all your questions.
The following users liked this post:
00laguna (06-15-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 06:13 PM
CLS^6

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
I am very much ready to order this from XLR8 once some feedback rolls in.

My mods are simple, but I love them:
1. CT Icebox
2. XLR8 V2 J Pipe

If this tune can be plug and play and gives me at least 10WHP/10WTQ, I am in!!!
ExcelerateRep (06-16-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 09:32 PM
Intermediate

I'll write a review after. Current mods are light weight crank pulley, p2r intake and throttle body spacers and thermal gaskets takeda intake coolant bypass on tb, sprint booster, xlr8 jpipe hfpc and magnaflow mufflers, I plan to upgrade to xlr8 cat back soon.
ExcelerateRep (06-18-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 09:36 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shimano

I've used xlr8 for parts for my cl-s and my tl bought many parts and every time they were helpful and answered all my questions. I high recommend them! That just my personal experience with them.
ExcelerateRep (06-19-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 06:15 PM
Drifting

Some info for the Canadian Azine family....Apart from the exchange rate of approx $1.25 Can to $1 USD and the shipping,expect to pay approx. $75 Can in duties.

If you opt for a dyno tune it will run approx $600 Can. It definitely adds up. However,considering an exhaust system that offers minimal gains will cost more than a complete tune which should give our car optimal performance,one can make the argument that it's money well spent.

Regardless of the reason, I received mine today and look foward to installation in the near future,thanks KTuner &TurboGixxer.

Name:  IMG_1969_zpsbkdgoax7.jpg
Views: 7510
Size:  157.1 KB

Last edited by KarKraze; 06-17-2015 at 06:22 PM.
ej6sliver (06-17-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 08:18 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by KarKraze
Some info for the Canadian Azine family....Apart from the exchange rate of approx $1.25 Can to $1 USD and the shipping,expect to pay approx. $75 Can in duties.

If you opt for a dyno tune it will run approx $600 Can. It definitely adds up. However,considering an exhaust system that offers minimal gains will cost more than a complete tune which should give our car optimal performance,one can make the argument that it's money well spent.

Regardless of the reason, I received mine today and look foward to installation in the near future,thanks KTuner &TurboGixxer.

That is good to know.
$600 cad isn't bad actually considering Hondata starts at $695 usd...
My goal is to get 250whp =D
Old 06-17-2015, 08:43 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ej6sliver
That is good to know.
$600 cad isn't bad actually considering Hondata starts at $695 usd...
My goal is to get 250whp =D
$600 is the approx cost for the dyno tune only, ie tuner time and use of the AWD dyno. It does not include the $499 USD cost of the software, just to clarify .
Old 06-17-2015, 10:00 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
KarKraze,
Did you find anyone local that could tune it for us? I also purchased one and will be eager to get it tuned. Maybe if both of us go to a same tuner we can get a better deal? I am pretty ecstatic that someone has finally done this.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sympley
KarKraze,
Did you find anyone local that could tune it for us? I also purchased one and will be eager to get it tuned. Maybe if both of us go to a same tuner we can get a better deal? I am pretty ecstatic that someone has finally done this.
Maybe make it 3 cars? I'd be down
Old 06-18-2015, 05:08 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by sympley
KarKraze,
Maybe make it 3 cars? I'd be down
Dammm ,the Canadians are doing it right .

I spoke to several well known tuning shops. There is one issue or another,several don't have an AWD Dyno but would do a street tune, some said they were not familiar with the product etc. The reason I spoke to several shops was to get an opportunity to speak with the tuner and make sure I could be confident that the car is in capable hands.

That said, my first choice was and still is APH. I spoke to them several times, I will also be speaking to them today and will certainly tell them that others have expressed interest in having their cars done.If you all wish to send me a PM with your name it would be great. That way I can pass it on in reference.

Last edited by KarKraze; 06-18-2015 at 05:11 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:59 AM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Dammm ,the Canadians are doing it right .

I spoke to several well known tuning shops. There is one issue or another,several don't have an AWD Dyno but would do a street tune, some said they were not familiar with the product etc. The reason I spoke to several shops was to get an opportunity to speak with the tuner and make sure I could be confident that the car is in capable hands.

That said, my first choice was and still is APH. I spoke to them several times, I will also be speaking to them today and will certainly tell them that others have expressed interest in having their cars done.If you all wish to send me a PM with your name it would be great. That way I can pass it on in reference.
I'm in Toronto myself.. But I'm not sure if i'll be getting a tune out here. Might have to do a road trip.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:24 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
$600 is the approx cost for the dyno tune only, ie tuner time and use of the AWD dyno. It does not include the $499 USD cost of the software, just to clarify .
Oh yea for sure....
but its definitely cheaper than what hondata is looking for.
I'm happy about the pricing, but I want the better exchange first...

Can't wait to hear about this....
*patiently waiting*
Old 06-19-2015, 11:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by suspekt360
I am very much ready to order this from XLR8 once some feedback rolls in.

My mods are simple, but I love them:
1. CT Icebox
2. XLR8 V2 J Pipe

If this tune can be plug and play and gives me at least 10WHP/10WTQ, I am in!!!
I believe one of the KTuner test vehicles had this setup, so there will most likely be a tune for you.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:10 AM
CLS^6

Originally Posted by ExcelerateRep
I believe one of the KTuner test vehicles had this setup, so there will most likely be a tune for you.
Thanks,

So does this mean the CT Icebox didnt cause issues with the MAF and is in fact a solid intake?

I love mine. Throttle response is ever so more crisp with the CT-E.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by suspekt360
Thanks,

So does this mean the CT Icebox didnt cause issues with the MAF and is in fact a solid intake?

I love mine. Throttle response is ever so more crisp with the CT-E.
The Icebox MAF housing is incorrectly sized. They also appear to not all be identical as far as how much it throws the MAF off. As you'll see stated in the software custom tuning is advised for these intakes with poorly designed MAF housings.

That doesn't mean you have to... the ECU will compensate to some extent if you don't have a custom tune done to correct it, but it will throw the fueling off just as it is doing now on the stock tune.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

The Icebox MAF housing is incorrectly sized. They also appear to not all be identical as far as how much it throws the MAF off. As you'll see stated in the software custom tuning is advised for these intakes with poorly designed MAF housings.

That doesn't mean you have to... the ECU will compensate to some extent if you don't have a custom tune done to correct it, but it will throw the fueling off just as it is doing now on the stock tune.
So, are you recommending stay stock, go with short Ram, ETC... ?

I personally don't like how it's a foam filter, but had plans to buy and swap for a K&N replacement cone style filter...

My personal goal is HP, reliability, and feel/sound in order of importance.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:18 PM
Instructor

I recommend at the very least having a tuner check that you're not running leaner or richer than intended with the base tune. If you're getting tuned beyond the basemap you're already in a position to run any intake you want for the tuning process since that will get corrected if it's off. Those who stick with the factory MAF housing don't have to worry as fueling should be on point unless there's some other failure in the system such as fuel pressure, injector, O2 sensor, etc.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:17 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
So I got mine and I did it myself. I recommend it to anyone that is interested in this product. Its safe and amazing ! Thank you Ktuner!
Old 06-21-2015, 06:23 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
[QUOTE=vtec314;15474331]So I got mine and I did it myself. I recommend it to anyone that is interested in this product. Its safe and amazing ! Thank you Ktuner![/QUOT

How does the car feel when driving?
Old 06-21-2015, 08:58 AM
Banned

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by vtec314
So I got mine and I did it myself. I recommend it to anyone that is interested in this product. Its safe and amazing ! Thank you Ktuner!
Good to hear.

Could you share the performance mods that you have installed? it would help members compare mods on their vehicle.

Last edited by ALFAQ; 06-21-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:52 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
Also are you running their base tune or get it tuned?
Old 06-22-2015, 04:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
According to KTuner the CT-E intake did not do well when it came to MAF readings. The TAKEDA intake was better according to him. We're in the works of developing an intake that can be properly dialed in.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
According to KTuner the CT-E intake did not do well when it came to MAF readings. The TAKEDA intake was better according to him. We're in the works of developing an intake that can be properly dialed in.
Awesome news - have had this Takeda on for nearly 5 years now.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
any update on if the speed limiter was defeated? Also will it have a feature to turn off the CEL due to cat deletes and/or EGR delete?
Old 06-22-2015, 08:15 PM
Instructor

There's a list of features on the website and that's mentioned there as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by KSeriesTuner:
csmeance (06-22-2015), ExcelerateRep (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 10:54 AM
Former Sponsor

These are listed on the Ktuner website as all being included in the end-user kit for the 4G TL:

Real-Time Logging
Injector Sizing
Ignition/Fuel Tuning
Knock Tuning
Rev Limiter Settings
2-Step Settings
Custom Map Sensor Support
VTEC Window Control
Closed Loop Control
Disable Sensors and OBD2 Monitors
Fuel Cut Parameters
Fuel Correction Parameters
Ignition Correction Parameters
Idle Control Parameters
Old 06-23-2015, 11:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ExcelerateRep
These are listed on the Ktuner website as all being included in the end-user kit for the 4G TL:

Real-Time Logging
Injector Sizing
Ignition/Fuel Tuning
Knock Tuning
Rev Limiter Settings
2-Step Settings
Custom Map Sensor Support
VTEC Window Control
Closed Loop Control
Disable Sensors and OBD2 Monitors
Fuel Cut Parameters
Fuel Correction Parameters
Ignition Correction Parameters
Idle Control Parameters
Some of those features are not in the release column. Check the KTuner website for accurate information.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:49 PM
Intermediate

i loaded up the base map , def noticed a difference from 4500-7100 rpm. i will get it tuned soon.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:15 PM
Drifting

i loaded up the base map , def noticed a difference from 4500-7100 rpm. i will get it tuned soon.
Nice!!

Did you locate a tuner? And could you share your mod list ?
Old 06-23-2015, 04:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Some of those features are not in the release column. Check the KTuner website for accurate information.

Here is the website link:
09-14 TL | KTuner, LLC

The ones not in the released column at this time are injector sizing, custom map sensor support, closed loop control, and disable sensors/obd2 monitors. We can expect these to be available soon, they are all in beta.

Last edited by ExcelerateRep; 06-23-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:03 PM
CLS^6

I think the dyno data provided by K-tuner for the 2015 Accord V6 might provide a glimpse into what this mod will do for us with a proper tune:

13-15 Accord V6 | KTuner, LLC
Old 06-23-2015, 07:46 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Hello,

I just got the Ktuner, connected it all works great except I can not do fuel tuning? Can you guys see the fuel tuning table on your software? I can only select ignition, and some other options but no fuel?

My ecu is in the proper range as compatible, the proper tune is opened. It is missing in both the base factory tune, and the base with intake/exhaust.

Please help with any suggestions.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:42 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
The more I read the more closer I am to pulling the trigger.

Quick Reply: Ktuner- The first tuning solution for the 4G TL