Renew XM Radio for $77 or less for 12 months, Part 7

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 03:02 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scv76
check out last paragraph of post#276..same general thing
Yea, thanks - I had seen that as well.. I'm still shocked with this user group it hasn't been mentioned a whole lot.

I have yet to call in again to complain, I'm really at odds with this. There is no way in heck I'm paying the full audio rate to have the traffic, but without the traffic, my Nav isn't as useful for me... they really pulled some BS on this one.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:54 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Normally I complain that this forum makes me spend money...today is a different story. I just got off the phone with XM and told them I wanted to cancel my service so I wouldn't be charged when my payment was due next month on the 20th. I told them $140 was simply too much money and that I didn't want to keep the service for the that kind of money. The guy then offered me the $77/a year promotion! I tried to act surprised and curious. I ended up paying only $75 total (royalty fees and taxes included) as I still had another month of service left, so they credited me for that.

Awesome. Thanks to all who discovered/pioneered this trick.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:11 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks
Old 01-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
What kind of luck have you all had with multiple subscriptions? Full price for the 1st car and less for the 2nd car?
Old 01-30-2011, 02:22 PM
10th Gear

Not sure what the heck is going on at XM... been trying to cancel my sub for over a week now due to this BS where you can't have NavTraffic with a promo audio package....

I wait on hold for like 10+ minutes, then I get - "your call can't be transferred" and it tells me to call back later...

This company is going down the tubes in my opinion...
Old 01-30-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
I doubt they're going down the tubes. Sirius/XM have a monopoly. But they do have shitty customer service.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:47 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by cjTL
I doubt they're going down the tubes. Sirius/XM have a monopoly. But they do have shitty customer service.
Right - that is what I meant.... they are the only deal for satellite audio in most cars.

The good news for me atleast, is that I don't like it enough to deal with this nonsense...

I think it's completely rediculous how they are forcing those who want the NavTraffic or Weather to pay rack rate for the audio.

Historically (last 3 years) - I've paid $77 a year for audio + $48 a year for the NavTraffic.

In order for me to get that now, I'm spending over $200....
Old 01-30-2011, 04:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by scv76
check out last paragraph of post#276..same general thing
and see my post #271 told no promo rate w/ the the traf/nav

"" _ "xm radio / traffic / weather - anyone else?

I had the 5 mo of xm radio for $22 odd dollars.

It was due for renewal at the reg rate in Jan - I called and got the $22 again for 5 months. The next day I see my traffic and weather is gone. I call back and they said you cant bill the radio and the traff/weather separately anymore? To get the traff/weather back w/ the radio - the best offer I got was $60 for 6months for traff/weather/radio.

Anyone else work any deal for all three (traffic, weather, radio)?

Have to see what happens when have to renew next summer
If if cant get a good price for all 3 - bye xm - hello pandora

Last edited by crxb; 01-30-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:21 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by crxb
and see my post #271 told no promo rate w/ the the traf/nav

"" _ "xm radio / traffic / weather - anyone else?

I had the 5 mo of xm radio for $22 odd dollars.

It was due for renewal at the reg rate in Jan - I called and got the $22 again for 5 months. The next day I see my traffic and weather is gone. I call back and they said you cant bill the radio and the traff/weather separately anymore? To get the traff/weather back w/ the radio - the best offer I got was $60 for 6months for traff/weather/radio.

Anyone else work any deal for all three (traffic, weather, radio)?

Have to see what happens when have to renew next summer
If if cant get a good price for all 3 - bye xm - hello pandora
Can you help me out - that $60 for 6 months isn't bad at all. Can you look at your online statement and provide some detail as to how that plan was laid out? What is it called?

The $60 for 6 months is very similiar to the $77yr for audio + $48yr for nav traffic I did have in the past.

Thank you.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Angry

Originally Posted by psubill78
Can you help me out - that $60 for 6 months isn't bad at all. Can you look at your online statement and provide some detail as to how that plan was laid out? What is it called?

The $60 for 6 months is very similiar to the $77yr for audio + $48yr for nav traffic I did have in the past.

Thank you.
The plan is called - call and ask to cancel -

I complained about the cost and that was the offer I got -

although I think I have earned it -

I'll have to make my 5th phone call to xm since December

(all I wanted to do was renew a good rate, - got that - then they lost my traf/weather - after 4 more calls and 2.5 - 3hrs on the phone all is working for the moment)

Now I noticed a new charge from xm on my credit card - yet I'm supposed to be paid up for 6mo??!!! so I be calling the cancel dept again later in the week? (guess they never have heard of 1 call resolution) (and their billing screw ups are worse than any other company I have had to deal with)
Old 02-01-2011, 01:15 PM
5th Gear

I've been renewing mine every 5 months at $20, which comes out to $48 a year.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by crxb
The plan is called - call and ask to cancel -

I complained about the cost and that was the offer I got -

although I think I have earned it -

I'll have to make my 5th phone call to xm since December

(all I wanted to do was renew a good rate, - got that - then they lost my traf/weather - after 4 more calls and 2.5 - 3hrs on the phone all is working for the moment)

Now I noticed a new charge from xm on my credit card - yet I'm supposed to be paid up for 6mo??!!! so I be calling the cancel dept again later in the week? (guess they never have heard of 1 call resolution) (and their billing screw ups are worse than any other company I have had to deal with)
Very similar to what I've been experiencing. First, I received a letter from XM saying they weren't able to use my credit card to bill so I had to call them to prevent disruption of service. Called (and spoke to about 6-7 people) and explained to them they've never had a credit card number for me so I was having trouble understanding the issue. Problem solved, supposedly. But I then check online and find they charged me that day for a 1 year renewal I didn't request (since I have 6 months to go on present deal). That took talking to another 3-4 people to get resolved. Next day, no traffic, and I still haven't been able to get that restored for about a week.

This just shows what you get when you allow monopolies. Crappy service and higher prices. This is about the worst-run, "we don't care" company I have ever dealt with. They make the airlines look like champs.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Very similar to what I've been experiencing. First, I received a letter from XM saying they weren't able to use my credit card to bill so I had to call them to prevent disruption of service. Called (and spoke to about 6-7 people) and explained to them they've never had a credit card number for me so I was having trouble understanding the issue. Problem solved, supposedly. But I then check online and find they charged me that day for a 1 year renewal I didn't request (since I have 6 months to go on present deal). That took talking to another 3-4 people to get resolved. Next day, no traffic, and I still haven't been able to get that restored for about a week.

This just shows what you get when you allow monopolies. Crappy service and higher prices. This is about the worst-run, "we don't care" company I have ever dealt with. They make the airlines look like champs.
JM2010 Okay so far 5 (FIVE) phone calls to xm since the start of the year to just renew:

1st call thought all was good got deal I could live with - extended radio 5mo for about $20

2days later traf/weather is gone?

2nd call told cant bill traf/weather separately from the radio anymore - so get traf/weather/radio deal #2 about $60 for 6mo all is good

around the 8th or 9th of the Jan the radio is ok but, traf/weather says inactive/expired

- call #3 -2 csrs try the refresh signal - no luck - say xm will call me back -

no one calls - so I try myself 2 refreshes from the web - no luck

- so finally call #4 to csr in cancel dept - turns radio off, trav and weather off and turns all back on and all is working in 10min - all is good again.

then on 1/25/11 I notice another charge from xm on my c card???

so today I make call #5 - get csr to credit my account for the last charge

all told over 3 hours on hold/on the phone to just renew subscrip!!!

now I'll have to watch to see if c card actually gets credited

only lesson learned here is don't even deal w/ the regular cust serv reps for ANY issues - always call and go straight to the cancel dept - they are at least trained to handle issues - with out having to tranfer you to someone else (w/ more hold time)

just call the US cancel dept at 1 800 998 7900 and pick cancel option when prompted

XM needs to pay attention to these kind account renewal / billing issues (run into almost every time I have to renew) - they may be a monopoly but today there are too many other options - such as Pandora or even just an iPod/iPhone with 100s of songs on file

If they are not careful - they may go the way of residential telephone land lines

I just dont get it ???
Old 02-02-2011, 04:17 PM
10th Gear

It does work! I just renewed for $77 a year and I even got them to renew my wife's MDX for the same amount. I love this forum!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:59 PM
4th Gear

Smile Just worked here

Called about the $77 deal and got it for the year for a total of ~$85 with taxes and fees.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have two radios on my account. I received my renewal notice/invoice (I won't give XM a credit card number) and called before expiration to "cancel", explaining that the huge price increase on my new invoice ($88.10 for 3 months service on both radios; $352 per year in total) was too much. I was able to knock the price down to a net of $139.99 for the next year for service on both radios.

The customer service agent told me that as a general rule you can get the $77 deal if you:

A) Call before your current contract expires, and
B) Ask for it (the deal).

The deal also reduced the royalty fee down from a proposed $16.80 per radio per year to something closer to just under $1 per radio per month.

Total time on the phone (including hold time): 6 minutes.

Last edited by ZeeJM; 02-06-2011 at 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 02-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just got my bill in the mail yesterday and they renewed my account for the full price. I called them today and told them that its too expensive to pay full price and that I want to cancel everything. She offered me an $86.09 for a year promotional plan right away! They're going to refund the difference back to me.

Its not the $77 deal but I dont mind paying only $9 dollars more.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:55 PM
1st Gear

5 months for US$20

I followed the script and was told of this special: 5 month for $20. I grabbed it!
Old 02-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Intermediate

Just called and balked at the renewal rates, then the guy actually asked me if I had heard of any other deals. I told him about the 5 months/$20 and full year for $77 and he said I could have either one. Just like that!

I didn't let them use my credit card, so I got the $2 invoice fee business, but for $24 total for 5 months, who cares.

Thanks to the OP for this.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Still works. Renewed for 77.00 plus tax and royalty fees came out to 98.86. I also got them to add the Nav Traffic for free for the year due to a billing issue. Although the cancellation department pitched the free Nav Traffic for the year to keep me because I was going to cancel.

Does anyone here use the Nav Weather? I tried it out last year. I really didnt use it that much. I dont justify paying 9.95 a month for weather. I can just use my iPhone for that.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Last month's credit card bill showed an unathorized charge of $48 for 3 months of service. I disputed the charge, then called XM to inform them of my displeasure. The initial CSR in India (useless) immediately transferred me to another CSR in the USA who asked what I wanted. She immediately agreed to the $77 deal plus a credit towards the traffic package as that was prepaid separately for 1 year under the last 5-month deal. Also instructed her not to autobill nor to apply a paper invoice charge. We will see what happens in a year.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey guys just renewed xm everything with nav traffic/weather this morning for one year $118.39... I thought that was a excellent price compared to last years deal... $88.00 for the year and $7.00 per month for traffic/weather ($84.00)... Just called the cancelation number and told them that it was crazy to pay almost the same price for xm radio as for the traffic/weather. She reviewed my account from last year and the nice lady offered me the above one year deal for my me not canceling my subscription... And guess what else... I could understand her perfectly...

Last edited by ferrcad; 02-16-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by ferrcad
Hey guys just renewed xm everything with nav traffic/weather this morning for one year $118.39... I thought that was a excellent price compared to last years deal... $88.00 for the year and $7.00 per month for traffic/weather ($84.00)... Just called the cancelation number and told them that it was crazy to pay almost the same price for xm radio as for the traffic/weather. She reviewed my account from last year and the nice lady offered me the above one year deal for my me not canceling my subscription... And guess what else... I could understand her perfectly...
I'm the designated XM call person as the wife can't understand the folks w/Indian accents.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ferrcad

ferrcad - that's good to hear - I was wanting to hear what others had been offered for all 3 - radio, traffic/weather

- Since they wont let you do the traff/weather separate from the radio anymore

- so NO $20 for 5months of radio and a separate deal for the traf/weather

I got about $56 for all 3 for 6months
Old 02-19-2011, 11:30 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
I just got xm with navtraffic on my 07 TL for 200 for a year. Is this deal only when you renew in a year?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
I just got xm with navtraffic on my 07 TL for 200 for a year. Is this deal only when you renew in a year?
I would call back to the cancelation dept - you paid too much - ferrcad got $118 for the year I took $56 for 6 mo
Old 02-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2010_TL
I just got my bill in the mail yesterday and they renewed my account for the full price. I called them today and told them that its too expensive to pay full price and that I want to cancel everything. She offered me an $86.09 for a year promotional plan right away! They're going to refund the difference back to me.

Its not the $77 deal but I dont mind paying only $9 dollars more.

I did the same thing the other day. I'm waiting to see if they actually refund the difference.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Advanced

XM called me and offered this deal. My trial period ended in January and I had been meaning to call and follow the script found here. I had been putting it off as it was relatively low on my priority list, but today they called me and just offered me the 77$ deal straight away (same package as the trial period). I took it and was off the phone in a matter of minutes.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:29 PM
d0wN sHiFtInG

Took less then 3min. Called said i received a promotion letter stating $25 for 5months. I wasn't even questioned or anything, guy comes back saying ok your all set... you'll be getting an invoice. I was gonna pay with a CC too but w/e lmao
Old 02-22-2011, 11:37 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for the info Just starter a 3 month trial on my 2010 TSX
Old 02-24-2011, 07:33 AM
Advanced

I just purchased a used acura and the XM is still on. What do I need to do to get the rate extended and in my name? As Im sure this subscription is from the previous owner.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:35 AM
6th Gear

excllent write up cant wait till my 3 month trial ends so i can do it too
Old 03-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Interesting thing about my 3-month trial - I bought the car in November thinking that the trial would expire in February. When I called to ask about my options they said that the trial didn't expire until May! Not sure why but I'll take it.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Advanced

anyone know how i can get the rate extended and in my name if the xm radio is in the owners name?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Intermediate

Good news, I just got the $77/year rate AGAIN. I think this is my 7th or 8th go round. You just need a sympathetic agent and a good line (I said my wife saw the regular rate in an article and said no way).

But here's an interesting twist. Said wife has a Droid phone and was going to buy the XM app. The phone agent said that by adding $3/month for internet access, you get to listen on your home or work computer AND through the app for free! YMMV on this, but if it allows you or someone you love to listen in the car through their phone, it's worth asking about. Just make sure you have the unlimited data plan on your phone! Wife already streams Pandora in her car so now she has XM as well. Isn't technology wonderful?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by desco10
anyone know how i can get the rate extended and in my name if the xm radio is in the owners name?
I would try calling customer service and request a switch. Then when they quote you the normal high price, balk and say you can't afford it. Continue with instructions on this thread on how to get $77/year.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Cruisin'

No script! What a breeze!!

I called XM last night via the phone number on their "Contact Us" page on their website. Hit a number to cancel and spoke to a guy.

I legitimately wanted to cancel my service because I'm not using it as much as I was (I got a job 10 minutes from where I leave now) and plus the rates are too damn expensive. On top of all that, the service I experienced previously was horrible! They messed up my order! When I first started I got free 3 month trial, then I asked about the $77 a year, got that, but they charged me $45 for 3 months instead, and THEN they charged me $93 (including royalty fees). WTF?! So I called and had them refund and cancel the 3 month charge (which they did, or so I thought). I kept my service for a year, then when it was about to expire and I called to do the whole script thing, they said it already renewed for 3 months and charged me another $45!! I had canceled that... anyway I left it alone and stayed for the 3 months.

I recently called and wanted really wanted to cancel with no intention of using the script or renewing or anything. The guy said "hold on and let me see what I can do". oooook....? Guy came back on the phone and said "Sir, I can offer you $77 for XM Everything for a year as a discount promotion." Damn... they got me! I said ok

So far my service was: Free 3 months, $45 3 months, a year discounted, $45 3 months, and currently, a year discounted.

XM is apparently really struggling... lmao
Old 03-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I just called for the 5 months for $20 service and got it..22.xx for 5 months is a good deal for me
Old 03-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Instructor

Just got the $77/yr but there was no way out of the royalty fee. $90.87 total (royalty was about $8/yr). I haven't had XM for about a year and a half, but this is about the 5th time I have used the promotion (2004 TL). I asked about getting a second vehicle on it, but my CSR told me it would be cheaper to get the $77/yr for that vehicle instead of adding it on as a secondary. I'm going to wait on that one and keep it under a separate account.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Rocket Scientist

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Got a renewal from XM for continuing the 90 day free trial. Called and got nothing but full price, told them no thanks. Called the number in this thread, told them I wanted to renew at the $77 year, no problem, under $100 including royalty fee and taxes.

Quick Reply: Renew XM Radio for $77 or less for 12 months, Part 7