My new NavTool

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 07:51 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by nikewear19
In the picture of the harness above it is the long orange wire that is zip tied in with the other wires. Because it was zip tied in I didn't cut it the first time but that's the one.
Hmm I find this interesting, I too ordered and received my navtool 2 weeks ago and tho it didn't have a label the harness was correct. There were no installation instructions that said what wire was what. Has 3 rca cables, 2 labeled 1 not. I had to contact them to find out what wire was connected where since I think there are 5. They told me yellow and orange u do nothing with.

How did u know to cut the orange, ntm the one ziptied? I also don't understand why by cutting it or just making it short it allows back up cam to work vs leaving alone, how does the wire being long affect the back up cam??
Old 07-26-2015, 10:33 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mjakaz09TL
Hmm I find this interesting, I too ordered and received my navtool 2 weeks ago and tho it didn't have a label the harness was correct. There were no installation instructions that said what wire was what. Has 3 rca cables, 2 labeled 1 not. I had to contact them to find out what wire was connected where since I think there are 5. They told me yellow and orange u do nothing with.

How did u know to cut the orange, ntm the one ziptied? I also don't understand why by cutting it or just making it short it allows back up cam to work vs leaving alone, how does the wire being long affect the back up cam??
You probably have the older version of the navtool which they are shipping with the proper harness. I only have two video only composite inputs and a built-in HDMI. If you scroll back to page 2 if this thread you will see the harness that is being shipped out with the 3.0 units. On my harness, the only orange wire that exsisted was the one zip tied in and was connected from harness to harness. I contacted tech support and they told me to cut the orange wire. As far as why it fixed the backup camera issue I'm not sure, but it worked.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:35 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys the orange wire explanation is simple, if you have factory camera orange wire must be cut if no factory camera installed orange wore must stay connected

That was I was told by NavTool support and that's what works
Old 07-30-2015, 06:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I received my blue wire with pin today. Do I install in #4 between the gray and the yellow?
Old 08-02-2015, 06:17 PM
Cruisin'

Finally got everything connected and tested and the unit works. Having a bear of a time getting the radio back in along with the NavTool. Are there any helpful hints on how you guys got yours installed?
Old 08-03-2015, 04:20 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
So I got mine installed. Followed the various instructions from this tread:

Red: as per the video
Black and Gray: as per the video.
Yellow: no connection
Blue: as per instruction from tread
Orange: I cut mine

Everything seems to work with 2 exceptions:
1. No audio? Can anyone give me some feedback possibly why I have no audio? HDMI supposed to have audio.

2. When in NAVTool mode on the screen and I reverse I get funky lines running across the sceen. I though I supposed to cut the orange wire which I did to avoid this. It is OK when not using the NAVtool.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sympley
So I got mine installed. Followed the various instructions from this tread:

Red: as per the video
Black and Gray: as per the video.
Yellow: no connection
Blue: as per instruction from tread
Orange: I cut mine

Everything seems to work with 2 exceptions:
1. No audio? Can anyone give me some feedback possibly why I have no audio? HDMI supposed to have audio.

2. When in NAVTool mode on the screen and I reverse I get funky lines running across the sceen. I though I supposed to cut the orange wire which I did to avoid this. It is OK when not using the NAVtool.
I got email this morning

There is an update for funky lines , reverse wire must be reconnected, to much work to take car apart

To connect audio I used 3.5 mm from NavTool and ran it to my armrest 3.5 mm input
Old 08-03-2015, 10:49 PM
Cruisin'

I installed mine under the radio, in the center console, in front of the shifter. Much easier to access down there than behind the radio.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:41 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Photojob
I got email this morning

There is an update for funky lines , reverse wire must be reconnected, to much work to take car apart

To connect audio I used 3.5 mm from NavTool and ran it to my armrest 3.5 mm input

Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to take mine apart. Did they say where to connect the reverse wire?

I am guessing the reverse wire is the gray wire?
Old 08-04-2015, 07:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sympley
Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to take mine apart. Did they say where to connect the reverse wire?

I am guessing the reverse wire is the gray wire?
According to email I got, if you cut orange wire, restore the connection and update software, if you didn't cut it don't do anything just update software
Old 08-05-2015, 11:02 AM
Racer

I still haven't installed mine nor cut the orange wire. Could someone list a step-by-step guide to do the update? Also curious as to how u got an email about it. My email is listed w them and I've never gotten anything from navtool. I have also checked my junk mail as well.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:46 PM
Cruisin'

Use this video to assist with removing your shift knob. Ours is exactly like this.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:56 AM
Racer

Ok, so got this thing updated and it resolved my wavy lines in reverse but still have a few issues....

1- wavy lines on setup screen for navtool...
2- Car won't shut off, accessory power that is. I have push button start. I connected the red wire(navtool) to the purple wire(car) black and gray(navtool) to the black wire(car). Yellow wire not connected.
3- how the hell do I get radio back in, harness isn't log enough. How did u all do it?

I spoke w navtool and they claim it's impossible for car not to power off... well I'm proof it is. Not sure wth is going on
Old 08-07-2015, 04:09 PM
Cyberathlete101

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
does/can anyone has/do a step by step instuctions on how to install this bad boy..

after weeks of reading on here and watching the install videos on Navtool, I still have no clue on how to wire this thing up

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance
Old 08-08-2015, 09:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by freeurmind69
does/can anyone has/do a step by step instuctions on how to install this bad boy..

after weeks of reading on here and watching the install videos on Navtool, I still have no clue on how to wire this thing up

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance
Have you ever installed any electronics in a car ?
Old 08-11-2015, 12:43 PM
Cyberathlete101

No Sir, I have not.

the product looks to be plug and play...but with all this confusion of wire cutting and missing wires, I'm afraid I will mess it up.

I've search the Navtool site and gone over all the videos but it seems like there is more to the install.

any clarifications would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Have you ever installed any electronics in a car ?
Old 08-15-2015, 10:34 AM
Banned

All I had to connect power wire, ground wire, parking brake wire I connected to ground , and control wire to use Navtool with cancel wire, rest is plug and play , I took me more time to take the car apart and then close it up. I've done lots of car stuff in my life so this install was really a piece of cake
Old 08-17-2015, 03:09 AM
Intermediate

Hello,

So I finally decided to put in my newly purchased Navtool and followed everyones instruction.

Navtool Red --> Purple accessory
Navtool black & grey --> black ground wire.

However the only thing I am stuck on is the Navtool Blue where (which mine came with). I can't figure where this goes.

thanks,
Old 08-17-2015, 07:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ruzty
Hello,

So I finally decided to put in my newly purchased Navtool and followed everyones instruction.

However the only thing I am stuck on is the Navtool Blue where (which mine came with). I can't figure where this goes.

thanks,
Read this thread from the beginning many people including me posted location of blue wire, it's actually a blue wire in 28 pin connector in pin 26
Old 08-17-2015, 12:44 PM
Intermediate

Read this thread from the beginning many people including me posted location of blue wire, it's actually a blue wire in 28 pin connector in pin 26
Yes I have read many time but I am asking what does that mean? The blue wire goes to a H connector and the only plug I find with 28 pins is the same plug that the blue wire is coming out from. Doesn't seem to make sense for me to connect a wire back on the same plug.

Note: I am not even too sure which one is the H connector.

thanks,
Old 08-17-2015, 07:10 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ruzty
Yes I have read many time but I am asking what does that mean? The blue wire goes to a H connector and the only plug I find with 28 pins is the same plug that the blue wire is coming out from. Doesn't seem to make sense for me to connect a wire back on the same plug.

Note: I am not even too sure which one is the H connector.

thanks,
Ok I think I finally got what you mean but right now my screen is still black. I must be doing something wrong. So I wired the blue wire back to the 26 hole (along with the other blue wire) that goes to back to the Navtool but still nothing is coming up.

What am I missing?
Old 08-17-2015, 07:25 PM
Banned

Contact NavTool, their support is great , the quickly reply via online chat
Old 08-18-2015, 01:31 PM
Intermediate

Yah I must be doing something wrong.

Navtool Blue (goes into the rear deck) --> 26pin (blue as well) of Navtool
Old 08-18-2015, 02:54 PM
Cyberathlete101

ok.. contacted Navtool and ask them to clearified the loose wires for the 2012 TL.

and this is what I got....

From Navtool Tech Help......

The unit is plug and play no wire cutting required
However our unit need powers
Red wire is power wire, 12 volt accessory
Black wire is ground connection
Gray wire is parking brake wire parking brake wire must see ground for interface to operate
Orange no connection
Yellow wire no connection
Small USB not used
Large USB is only for charging, charge your smartphone
2.5 mm audio jack is audio output, you can connect directly to audio jack located in an armrest of your vehicle
Blue wire is your control wire so you can switch inputs using cancel button
Blue wire from NavTool connect to blue wire in 28 pin connector back of the radio , blue wire in car radio harness is located in pin 26 of 28 pin connector
Press and hold cancel from 3 seconds to activate NavTool, rotate navigation system wheel left or right to change inputs, HDMI always first one,
Please keep in mind this interface is gears toward installation by car audio technicians , if you need more detailed help in wiring we can help further , but above explanations are industry standard
Old 08-19-2015, 01:21 PM
Intermediate

Finally got the fuzzy lines up which is good progress but still cannot read anything. Just has a blurry video 1 video 2..

BTW did anyone ever had their airbag warning lights turned on?
Old 08-19-2015, 03:39 PM
Cyberathlete101

Hi Mj,

wondering if you got any solution to the car wont shut off problem?

thanks

Originally Posted by Mjakaz09TL
Ok, so got this thing updated and it resolved my wavy lines in reverse but still have a few issues....

1- wavy lines on setup screen for navtool...
2- Car won't shut off, accessory power that is. I have push button start. I connected the red wire(navtool) to the purple wire(car) black and gray(navtool) to the black wire(car). Yellow wire not connected.
3- how the hell do I get radio back in, harness isn't log enough. How did u all do it?

I spoke w navtool and they claim it's impossible for car not to power off... well I'm proof it is. Not sure wth is going on
Old 08-20-2015, 02:26 AM
Intermediate

Ok really need help!

Got the fuzzy lines, there is a check airbag warning and I think I pretty much did what everyone told me to do. I tried to plug HDMI to Navtool and then to my laptop. When I turn on the car the Navtool green LED will turn on and my laptop will switch to "connected projector mode" (screen auto resize). But when I hold cancel button I just see fuzzy lines and when I turn the knob, I see video 1 and video 2 (in fuzzy lines). Is this a software problem?
Old 08-20-2015, 09:54 PM
Intermediate

Almost have it! Ok so I think I narrowed it down to software. I tried to plug my laptop via HDMI into Navtool and wondered if its the the laptop so I switched by using a CCTV camera to composite and see camera images however the images are still distorted. Can someone tell me how to software update?

thanks,
Old 08-22-2015, 12:31 AM
Intermediate

Ok really need everyones help on this. Finally got most of everything working however everytime when I plug the HDMI in there is no volume. I tried plugging in head phone jack in while the HDMI is in but there is still no sound.

I saw earlier about reversing the grey wire but what does this mean? Please help
Old 08-22-2015, 01:20 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ld3r
Well I change my mind on doing the installation. But, I do have a question. I'm wondering if its possible to replace the whole radio and replace it with the new Pioneer AVIC-8100nex and use the NAVTOOL to run the video out put from the pioneer to the dash screen. Since the Pioneer has video out. Please someone with more knowledge give me some feedback. Thanks
You'd need this: Metra Online
Old 08-26-2015, 02:04 AM
Cruisin'

Android?

anyone used ANDROID on this?

and can I get a clear link to the Navtool product page?

i'm interested in tossing a Galaxy onto this and using it as primary because I have a lot of settings and music all set up with android and google apps it'd be perfect...i'd have all my music on my phone , all the time. and

WAZE as NAV.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:04 AM
Intermediate

I never got around to installing my NavTool and now we are getting rid of the Acura, time to post it up for sale
Old 09-03-2015, 03:53 PM
8th Gear

Pm'd you cyberphox
Old 09-08-2015, 01:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by smokinacura
anyone used ANDROID on this?

and can I get a clear link to the Navtool product page?

i'm interested in tossing a Galaxy onto this and using it as primary because I have a lot of settings and music all set up with android and google apps it'd be perfect...i'd have all my music on my phone , all the time. and

WAZE as NAV.
I tested with my galaxy note with MHL adapter, works great
Old 09-10-2015, 01:01 AM
Cruisin'

i have a galaxy s6 edge plus apparently has no MHL support Lol
Old 09-17-2015, 02:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For those that have bought this kit. Does it come with an hdmi out or do I have to get a component to hdmi cable. Based on the pic it looks like I only see a USB and component outputs. There's not much info for a product that costs almost $400. Also would have been nice if they could have wired up the power ground and signal wire into the harness that is running in line with the oe harness. Not exactly plug n play if I still have to strip and tap into my oe wiring
Old 09-18-2015, 11:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by ray01
For those that have bought this kit. Does it come with an hdmi out or do I have to get a component to hdmi cable. Based on the pic it looks like I only see a USB and component outputs. There's not much info for a product that costs almost $400. Also would have been nice if they could have wired up the power ground and signal wire into the harness that is running in line with the oe harness. Not exactly plug n play if I still have to strip and tap into my oe wiring
Not trying to be a dick, but did you actually read through the thread?

You've got a video detailing the install for the TL and you have quite a few users posting their experience.

You've got User Manuals - http://www.navtool.com/manual_DVI+HA-HDD.pdf

I mean, what exactly are you expecting them to do? Fly someone out for free to install it for you?

Posts #2 and #3 state that the HDMI model hasn't been added to their website yet, but if you were to call or chat with them it's available.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:25 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Got the NavTool, read the thread and still have a few basic questions:
1) I see references to "Orange wire do not connect to anything". I don't have a free orange wire. I only have Red, Black, Gray, Yellow and Blue. Am I missing a wire?
2) How are you routing the HDMI, USB and Audio cable to inside the armrest? Did you make a hole in the bottom of the compartment?
3) What length of HDMI, USB and Audio wires did you use? 6 ft?
4) I plan to use the iPhone with it. Are you using the USB from Navtool or other way of charging it (inbuilt USB in handset/car power adapter)?
5) How can I tell if the latest software is installed? And how do I upgrade it if it needs to be upgraded?

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2015, 08:57 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by sarge_in
Got the NavTool, read the thread and still have a few basic questions:
1) I see references to "Orange wire do not connect to anything". I don't have a free orange wire. I only have Red, Black, Gray, Yellow and Blue. Am I missing a wire?
2) How are you routing the HDMI, USB and Audio cable to inside the armrest? Did you make a hole in the bottom of the compartment?
3) What length of HDMI, USB and Audio wires did you use? 6 ft?
4) I plan to use the iPhone with it. Are you using the USB from Navtool or other way of charging it (inbuilt USB in handset/car power adapter)?
5) How can I tell if the latest software is installed? And how do I upgrade it if it needs to be upgraded?

Thanks!
Hi I'm from NavTool and will be helping you

1. Orange wire is pre-wired for your convenience.
2. You will need to make an opening bottom of the armrest to route wires into the armrest .
3. 6ft should be enough if NavTool is installed below radio.
4. USB from NavTool is recommended for charging.
5. if you ordered in past 30 days you got it with the latest software.

Thank You
Old 09-23-2015, 12:11 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks!

Quick Reply: My new NavTool