My new NavTool

Old 07-04-2015, 07:53 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone, I got my Navtool 3.0 yesterday but it came with no documentation and no label on the unit. Also there is no reference to the unit on Navtool's website. I sent an email to Navtool tech support but have not received a response. I chatted with someone in sales late yesterday who said tech support would email me within 20 minutes but by late last night still nothing.

My Navtool came with only a 16 pin adapter with about 5 wires to the side of the adapter that looks like they need to be spliced into other wires. I understand the ground and accessory wires but I need to know what the other wires (yellow, blue, grey) connects to. The blue wire is labeled HA16PTL.

@alexman or @Photojob can you clarify where I need to connect the other color wires. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:48 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PT_TL
Hi everyone, I got my Navtool 3.0 yesterday but it came with no documentation and no label on the unit. Also there is no reference to the unit on Navtool's website. I sent an email to Navtool tech support but have not received a response. I chatted with someone in sales late yesterday who said tech support would email me within 20 minutes but by late last night still nothing.

My Navtool came with only a 16 pin adapter with about 5 wires to the side of the adapter that looks like they need to be spliced into other wires. I understand the ground and accessory wires but I need to know what the other wires (yellow, blue, grey) connects to. The blue wire is labeled HA16PTL.

@alexman or @Photojob can you clarify where I need to connect the other color wires. Thanks in advance for your help.

I followed this video pretty much for installation

if my memort serves me right

red I connected like in the video so is black

gray I connected to black wire of navtool

orange and yellow no connection

blue I connected to blue wire back of the navigation

there is a 28 pin connector blue ire is in pin 26

here is diagram navtool sent me
The following users liked this post:
PT_TL (07-04-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 10:13 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i simply used this instructions

Red wire is 12 volt accessory

Black wire is ground

Gray wire is parking brake wire (just connect it to same place where you connect black from navtool)

Orange wire do not connect to anything

Yellow wire do not connect to anything

Micro USB not used

Regular USB is for smartphone charging

2.5 mm audio jack on navtool is audio output, you can connect directly to audio jack inside your vehicle

Blue wire is used to switch inputs utilizing cancel button

Blue wire from NavTool connect to blue wire in pin 26 of 28 pin connector located back of the radio , blue wire in the harness is located in pin 26 of 28 pin connector

placing navtool so that radio goes back in that took some time
PT_TL (07-04-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 12:03 PM
9th Gear

@Photojob You were not kidding about having a hard time fitting the radio back in. Did you place the NavTool directly behind the radio? The only place that seems like the unit would fit would be directly covering the fan on the back of the radio.

It would have made more sense for Navtool to make the cable going to the NavTool unit longer so that we could place the unit somewhere that could be easily accessible without disassembling the trim and radio whenever we need to access the unit to replace a hdmi or usb cable.

Originally Posted by Photojob
i simply used this instructions

Red wire is 12 volt accessory

Black wire is ground

Gray wire is parking brake wire (just connect it to same place where you connect black from navtool)

Orange wire do not connect to anything

Yellow wire do not connect to anything

Micro USB not used

Regular USB is for smartphone charging

2.5 mm audio jack on navtool is audio output, you can connect directly to audio jack inside your vehicle

Blue wire is used to switch inputs utilizing cancel button

Blue wire from NavTool connect to blue wire in pin 26 of 28 pin connector located back of the radio , blue wire in the harness is located in pin 26 of 28 pin connector

placing navtool so that radio goes back in that took some time
Old 07-07-2015, 03:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,411 Posts
most folks connected the old navtool in the trunk to the DVD player drive, and ran power from the center console to the rear or via the fusebox.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PT_TL
@Photojob You were not kidding about having a hard time fitting the radio back in. Did you place the NavTool directly behind the radio? The only place that seems like the unit would fit would be directly covering the fan on the back of the radio.

It would have made more sense for Navtool to make the cable going to the NavTool unit longer so that we could place the unit somewhere that could be easily accessible without disassembling the trim and radio whenever we need to access the unit to replace a hdmi or usb cable.
I put it in the back some how it wasn't easy, I beleive you can also put it on the side, I was doing with a friend he was holding the radio while I was stuffing it in the back
Old 07-09-2015, 07:00 PM
Cruisin'

Anyone else have a good experience with Navtool? Im on the fence but it would be awesome to use Waze without holding my phone. Its not cheap and im going to have to take it to a shop for an install..
Old 07-09-2015, 08:15 PM
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rhkingsfan
Anyone else have a good experience with Navtool? Im on the fence but it would be awesome to use Waze without holding my phone. Its not cheap and im going to have to take it to a shop for an install..
Only reason I got it is waze

It's super nice

rhkingsfan (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 09:13 AM
Cyberathlete101

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
nice. people who has brought NavTool please send us your feedback!

- Installation easy/hard?
- hows your set up?
- any issues?

please and thank you
Old 07-10-2015, 04:53 PM
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by freeurmind69
nice. people who has brought NavTool please send us your feedback!

- Installation easy/hard?
- hows your set up?
- any issues?

please and thank you
It works perfect, my buddy who used to install car radio helped me install it, I love it, waze is a must for me I drive all the time because of my work and it's great to finally have it on my nav screen
freeurmind69 (07-29-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 12:50 AM
Cruisin'

Just ordered one. They said they are increasing their price from 399 to 599 soon
Old 07-11-2015, 11:07 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Since this is HDMI version do I need to connect the Video Input RCA plugs?
Similarly with the Audio Output there is no need to connect right?

How about the small 2.5mm jack? Does it need to be connected? Is this what is being used for audio from the source or will the audio go via HDMI?
Old 07-12-2015, 12:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by sympley
Since this is HDMI version do I need to connect the Video Input RCA plugs?
Similarly with the Audio Output there is no need to connect right?

How about the small 2.5mm jack? Does it need to be connected? Is this what is being used for audio from the source or will the audio go via HDMI?
HDMI is audio + video. DisplayLink looks like HDMI but is video only.

No you would not need to connect anything additional.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:41 PM
Cruisin'

I just ordered the NavTool 3.0-HDMI today for my 2013 TL. Salesperson said today was the last day of the sale so we'll see how true that is.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:35 PM
Banned

After following this thread I decided to get me a NavTool. This morning I went to order NavTool and I was told its 600, so I said I'll get back to them later. After doing some digging all over google I found a way to get it for 400. A started chat and I said that I was out of country and it wasn't possible for me to order it, after 30 minutes of back and fourth someone on the other end got sale price approved
Old 07-13-2015, 11:01 PM
Cruisin'

I guess the Salesperson told me the truth when I placed my order. Glad you had good luck getting the lower price. My luck usually isn't that good.

Originally Posted by ACURA_TL_BEST
After following this thread I decided to get me a NavTool. This morning I went to order NavTool and I was told its 600, so I said I'll get back to them later. After doing some digging all over google I found a way to get it for 400. A started chat and I said that I was out of country and it wasn't possible for me to order it, after 30 minutes of back and fourth someone on the other end got sale price approved
Old 07-14-2015, 08:30 AM
Banned

I went to order one this morning for my boy, to make long story short for month of July just mention acurazine to get 399 price
The following 2 users liked this post by Photojob:
csmeance (07-15-2015), nikewear19 (07-14-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 10:02 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can confirm this as well as I just purchased it this morning for $399. As Photojob mentioned, just bring up that you saw it on the Acurazine thread.
csmeance (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 04:11 PM
Cruisin'

How long has it been taking for you all to receive your units? I ordered on Sunday and no shipment and it's Wednesday. Don't blast me, I'll admit up front that I'm impatient.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:44 PM
Banned

I ordered Monday they said will ship Thursday or Friday
Old 07-15-2015, 04:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 8t9gt
How long has it been taking for you all to receive your units? I ordered on Sunday and no shipment and it's Wednesday. Don't blast me, I'll admit up front that I'm impatient.
It took About 4 days before mine shipped out
Old 07-16-2015, 01:32 PM
Cruisin'

I ordered mine last Friday and they said it would ship Monday (with email confirmation). It's Thursday and I still haven't received the notification (it's possible that its been shipped already but they didn't notify me).
Old 07-16-2015, 01:41 PM
Banned

I got Mine this morning , just finished installing it works great love it

Email them for tracking number they reply fast
Old 07-16-2015, 04:19 PM
Cruisin'

What's your opinion on the installation? I'm leaning towards bringing it to a shop
Old 07-16-2015, 07:21 PM
Banned

What's your opinion on the installation? I'm leaning towards bringing it to a shop
I consider my self handy and I always do everything myself, if you never worked around wires and pulling out a radio maybe take it to a shop,
Old 07-16-2015, 09:39 PM
Cruisin'

I hope you live across the street from them. I ordered mine on Sunday and they just shipped mine today.

Where in the US are you?
Old 07-16-2015, 09:44 PM
Banned

I hope you live across the street from them. I ordered mine on Sunday and they just shipped mine today.

Where in the US are you?
They shipped mine yesterday UPS tracking showed delivery for today, I guess I'm with one day reach of UPS by ground
Old 07-21-2015, 09:57 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay, so I have the navtool installed and I'm using my Google chromecast to cast my screen. Let me say that I love it! Audio/video sounds great, but there's a problem when I used my chromecast I can't stream audio through Bluetooth. Any idea or suggestions if there's a company that makes an adapter that only streams video?
Old 07-21-2015, 10:21 PM
Cruisin'

For Some strange reason, mine doesn't have the blue wire reference in this thread. What gives? Only Red, Black, Yellow, gray, and 16 pin connector.

Last edited by 8t9gt; 07-21-2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:42 PM
10th Gear

Same thing was wrong with mine. Call tech support tomorrow morning and they will walk you through what you need to do. Long story short, they forgot to put the blue cable in to the navtool harness.

Last edited by nikewear19; 07-21-2015 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Updated
Old 07-21-2015, 10:47 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ld3r
Okay, so I have the navtool installed and I'm using my Google chromecast to cast my screen. Let me say that I love it! Audio/video sounds great, but there's a problem when I used my chromecast I can't stream audio through Bluetooth. Any idea or suggestions if there's a company that makes an adapter that only streams video?
I had this problem too with the chromecast. The reason is because the chromecast itself is reaching out to the internet and pulling down audio and video directly to navtool, not through the phone. In order to have audio, you will need to run an aux cable from your arm rest to the nav tool unit...I was able to get sound with this layout.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:59 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by nikewear19
Same thing was wrong with mine. Call tech support tomorrow morning and they will walk you through what you need to do. Long story short, they forgot to put the blue cable in to the navtool harness.
Just got mine and missing the blue cable as well.. How tough is the fix?
Old 07-23-2015, 07:59 PM
10th Gear

Just got mine and missing the blue cable as well.. How tough is the fix?
Couple things...I spent like a full day troubleshooting this before I found out I was missing the blue wire. That being said, the fix isn't too difficult if you have some spare wire laying around. If you look at the harness (where the wires go into it) that plugs into the nav tool there should be an empty hole 3 holes in from the end. Each hole on the back has two holes on the front. You will need to strip a spare piece of wire and push the stripped piece half way through the front end of the hole and tuck it into the second hole to hold it into place. Once this is done you can just splice the other end of the wire to the appropriate blue nav wire based on the instructions.

Now, the other two things that got me were the orange wire that is bundled in the aforementioned harness. If you do not have an aftermarket camera and you are just using the factory backup camera you are going to want to cut that wire. If you don't, when you reverse the navtool will automatically turn on with a shaky backup camera with parking lines scrolling across. I had to remove my whole unit AGAIN just to cut this wire.

Lastly, I had an extremely difficult time mounting the damn thing. After many frustrating hours it dawned on me that there was room underneath the radio unit itself. The only modification is you need to take off the bracket (4 tiny phillips screws) on the bottom and it allows you enough room to mount it. This brackets only purpose is to clip in some of the cables so it is no big deal not having it.I butted mine right up against the small harness (horizontally) under there and electrical taped it to hold it in place. Once I did this the unit slid in with minimal effort.

Sorry for the long post but I'm trying to save future Navtool 3.0 folks some time! Once it's in, it's pretty awesome.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:48 PM
Cruisin'

Couple things...I spent like a full day troubleshooting this before I found out I was missing the blue wire. That being said, the fix isn't too difficult if you have some spare wire laying around. If you look at the harness (where the wires go into it) that plugs into the nav tool there should be an empty hole 3 holes in from the end. Each hole on the back has two holes on the front. You will need to strip a spare piece of wire and push the stripped piece half way through the front end of the hole and tuck it into the second hole to hold it into place. Once this is done you can just splice the other end of the wire to the appropriate blue nav wire based on the instructions.

Now, the other two things that got me were the orange wire that is bundled in the aforementioned harness. If you do not have an aftermarket camera and you are just using the factory backup camera you are going to want to cut that wire. If you don't, when you reverse the navtool will automatically turn on with a shaky backup camera with parking lines scrolling across. I had to remove my whole unit AGAIN just to cut this wire.

Lastly, I had an extremely difficult time mounting the damn thing. After many frustrating hours it dawned on me that there was room underneath the radio unit itself. The only modification is you need to take off the bracket (4 tiny phillips screws) on the bottom and it allows you enough room to mount it. This brackets only purpose is to clip in some of the cables so it is no big deal not having it.I butted mine right up against the small harness (horizontally) under there and electrical taped it to hold it in place. Once I did this the unit slid in with minimal effort.

Sorry for the long post but I'm trying to save future Navtool 3.0 folks some time! Once it's in, it's pretty awesome.
Thanks Nikewear19, this post is very helpful.

I'm personally not happy about the idea of having to jerry rig a wire into this $399 product. I'm very concerned about what they might say to me if heaven forbid the unit goes out or has issues within the 1st year and I've cut wires and chosen to shove that wire in there. Not to mention, the only options I was given to remedy this manufacturing error was for me to foot the bill for shipping it back to them for them to verify that it was in fact a manufacturing error or for me to just buy another harness from them and in both cases I'd just have to wait for them to make a determination then also wait for something to arrive in the mail "If" they accept liability.

Cost is negligible...I'm annoyed over the principle in this situation!
Old 07-24-2015, 12:34 AM
BANNED

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I was missing a blue wire, chatted with them online few days ago, they said will send me pin with a wire, I got the pin today , loosen the black cap at the bottom of the connector slide the pin in the empty cavity and done, just finished my install, best mod ever
Old 07-24-2015, 06:44 AM
Cruisin'

I contacted them and they are sending me the blue wire with pin so now just waiting for that to get started.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:45 AM
Cruisin'

Did you cut the orange wire to keep your backup camera working right?

Originally Posted by restron
I was missing a blue wire, chatted with them online few days ago, they said will send me pin with a wire, I got the pin today , loosen the black cap at the bottom of the connector slide the pin in the empty cavity and done, just finished my install, best mod ever
Old 07-24-2015, 07:25 PM
10th Gear

Did you cut the orange wire to keep your backup camera working right?
If you do not have an aftermarket backup camera, cutting the orange wire is the only way to have your factory backup camera function properly. Believe me, I witnessed it. I had to take my whole dash apart again to cut that damn wire but it was worth it because my backup camera is back to normal.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:38 AM
Cruisin'

If you do not have an aftermarket backup camera, cutting the orange wire is the only way to have your factory backup camera function properly. Believe me, I witnessed it. I had to take my whole dash apart again to cut that damn wire but it was worth it because my backup camera is back to normal.
Thanks Nike. Last question. I see two orange cables. Did you cut the short one or the long one that runs ouside the harness?
Old 07-25-2015, 08:26 AM
10th Gear

Thanks Nike. Last question. I see two orange cables. Did you cut the short one or the long one that runs ouside the harness?
In the picture of the harness above it is the long orange wire that is zip tied in with the other wires. Because it was zip tied in I didn't cut it the first time but that's the one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new NavTool