Issues with Navigation Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 09:05 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Issues with Navigation Update

Hi All,

I did a search but couldn't find anything in relation to this issue. I purchased the new 2017 navigation update and proceeded to install it. I chose the Full Background update and after about 45 minutes in, it asked for the second disc. I put the 2nd disc in and had to turn off the car to run an errand. After I turned the car back on, the update seemed to continue where it left off but a few minutes later, it said there was an error with the update and to either retry or contact the dealer. I clicked retry several times and the update kept giving me an error. I called the dealer and none of their technicians have seen this issue before. They wanted me to bring the car in and charge me a $180 diagnosis fee which is BS, My navigation system and HD works fine but I can't complete this update. Has this happened to anyone before? If so, how did you fix this? I wonder if resetting the HD would be of any help.

Thanks.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:44 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
when in doubt, turn it off and turn it back on again...
try resetting ECU by disconnecting negative battery terminal for a few seconds, then reconnect and try again with update.
if that didnt work, try resetting HD.

instead of calling the dealer, you should try calling the nav software company...I dont know what their named. look on the CD's/DVDs and see if you can get a help #
Old 03-13-2017, 10:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by illistik
Hi All,

I did a search but couldn't find anything in relation to this issue. I purchased the new 2017 navigation update and proceeded to install it. I chose the Full Background update and after about 45 minutes in, it asked for the second disc. I put the 2nd disc in and had to turn off the car to run an errand. After I turned the car back on, the update seemed to continue where it left off but a few minutes later, it said there was an error with the update and to either retry or contact the dealer. I clicked retry several times and the update kept giving me an error. I called the dealer and none of their technicians have seen this issue before. They wanted me to bring the car in and charge me a $180 diagnosis fee which is BS, My navigation system and HD works fine but I can't complete this update. Has this happened to anyone before? If so, how did you fix this? I wonder if resetting the HD would be of any help.

Thanks.
Crap! That's not good news to hear. I just got my '17 update today and was planning to start the installation tomorrow. I hope there's not a flaw in the update discs. I would definitely call the Navigation company and seek their advice. I may hold off on updating mine until you find out what the problem is. Hopefully, it's something very minor that Here Maps can help you with. Please keep us posted and good luck to you.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
when in doubt, turn it off and turn it back on again...
try resetting ECU by disconnecting negative battery terminal for a few seconds, then reconnect and try again with update.
if that didnt work, try resetting HD.

instead of calling the dealer, you should try calling the nav software company...I dont know what their named. look on the CD's/DVDs and see if you can get a help #
Thanks. I'll give those two suggestions a try. I called the nav software company, HERE, and they are essentially useless. They refer all technical questions to acura client services/dealership.
The following 2 users liked this post by illistik:
clownshoos (08-30-2018), justnspace (03-14-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 10:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by a35tl
Crap! That's not good news to hear. I just got my '17 update today and was planning to start the installation tomorrow. I hope there's not a flaw in the update discs. I would definitely call the Navigation company and seek their advice. I may hold off on updating mine until you find out what the problem is. Hopefully, it's something very minor that Here Maps can help you with. Please keep us posted and good luck to you.
I think if you leave your car on for the full update, you shouldn't run into any issues. I should have just left my car on but unfortunately, I needed to turn it off. I checked the disc and didn't see any visible scratches either. I might just clean it and pop it back in to see if it works. If anything, I'm down $100.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:59 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Thanks. I'll give those two suggestions a try. I called the nav software company, HERE, and they are essentially useless. They refer all technical questions to acura client services/dealership.
the only thing you can do is keep trying!!

i suppose it's like firmware...DO NOT RESTART OR TURN OFF or corruption will happen...

keep trying!
Old 03-16-2017, 02:14 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ran into this as well while running the "full power" mode install. One interesting thing is that after removing and inserting the disc back in, the install changed to "background mode" and has been chugging away. I'm kinda curious how this is going to turn out...
Old 03-16-2017, 02:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by E36M3Pilot
I just ran into this as well while running the "full power" mode install. One interesting thing is that after removing and inserting the disc back in, the install changed to "background mode" and has been chugging away. I'm kinda curious how this is going to turn out...
Interesting. I ejected the second disc and put it back in, but it didn't work for me. I'll haven't tried since, but I'll mess around with it this weekend. Keep me posted on how your update turns out.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Interesting. I ejected the second disc and put it back in, but it didn't work for me. I'll haven't tried since, but I'll mess around with it this weekend. Keep me posted on how your update turns out.
The instructions I received stated not to remove the second disc until it had finished. However, if it were malfunctioning already, I don't know. I hope you get the problem resolved. Thankfully, mine installed with no issues. I'm a bit perturbed though that a relatively new bypass (14 months old) in my area, is still not showing up on the '17 update. Frustrating.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:11 PM
Advanced

The instructions I received stated not to remove the second disc until it had finished. However, if it were malfunctioning already, I don't know. I hope you get the problem resolved. Thankfully, mine installed with no issues. I'm a bit perturbed though that a relatively new bypass (14 months old) in my area, is still not showing up on the '17 update. Frustrating.
Yeah, it gave me an error before I ejected the second disc. That's disappointing to hear. Did you notice any other differences? (more POIs, better graphics, etc)
Old 03-16-2017, 09:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, it gave me an error before I ejected the second disc. That's disappointing to hear. Did you notice any other differences? (more POIs, better graphics, etc)
The biggest thing I noticed, and maybe it was there before and I was just unaware, but when I entered an address, it gave me options to choose different routes to that address. I don't ever recall seeing that in the past. Like I said, maybe that feature was there before and I just didn't notice it. Can anyone verify? Definitely the POIs are updated, graphics are the same.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:49 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
The biggest thing I noticed, and maybe it was there before and I was just unaware, but when I entered an address, it gave me options to choose different routes to that address. I don't ever recall seeing that in the past. Like I said, maybe that feature was there before and I just didn't notice it. Can anyone verify? Definitely the POIs are updated, graphics are the same.
I have the ability to see/choose different routes. I am currently using a NAV update from a few years ago so it has been available for awhile.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (03-20-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 03:10 PM
Advanced

Installation successful! I closely examined the second disc and there was a very tiny speck of debris on the disc. I cleaned it off with a towel and inserted the disc back in with my fingers crossed. I guess that solved the issue! Thanks to everyone for their help.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (03-18-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 12:37 PM
2nd Gear

Finally, after what seemed like forever, the update is complete.

The sad thing is that the road which have been around for more than 50 years near where I work still are unverified...
Old 03-20-2017, 04:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Finally, after what seemed like forever, the update is complete.

The sad thing is that the road which have been around for more than 50 years near where I work still are unverified...
I agree with you. Very frustrating.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:04 AM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
One note about the update, if you choose the fast method to update the system dont stop it. If you do it will revert back to the slow method on restart. It sucks I spent 4 hours in the garage waiting on it. Should have never stop'd the fast update.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Anicra
One note about the update, if you choose the fast method to update the system dont stop it. If you do it will revert back to the slow method on restart. It sucks I spent 4 hours in the garage waiting on it. Should have never stop'd the fast update.
I stopped and started my update numerous times in full power mode. It never reverted to the background method. Cumulatively, it took about 2 hours and 10 minutes by my estimation. This was on a '13 TL. Don't know what year model you have. Maybe a bit different for pre-2012 models.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:24 PM
6th Gear

Unhappy Map Update Fail

I bought a map update for my 2009 TL and have had problems. The state of Florida will not update so every time I start the car the NAV system says my maps aren't updated (a voice and a message on the screen).

I exchanged the map disks and tried to reinstall but that didn't resolve the problem.

The company that sells the nav disks said the dealer could "reset" the nav system to the factory settings to eliminate the notification that the maps aren't updated. The dealer said they have tried resetting the nav system for others with this issue but then the nav system fails altogether which requires a new nav system. The dealer is aware of this issue and is of no help. Neither is the company who sells the map disks.

Buy the map update at your own risk.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:40 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
My neighbor just updated his '11 TL nav. Now all screwed up. Don't fix it if it.......
Old 05-28-2018, 07:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On top of that the list price for the update is almost $300 last time I checked. I'll keep the crappy looking maps where they belong in 2009...
Old 05-29-2018, 08:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JoelHondaTL
On top of that the list price for the update is almost $300 last time I checked. I'll keep the crappy looking maps where they belong in 2009...
The list price is $149. It's currently being offered for $99 through August 15th.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:10 AM
5th Gear

With all of the problems that many are experiencing, on several forums, and the response from the dealers, I would rather have an old map than a non-working one.