Acura factory remote start

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Acura factory remote start

For those who have the factory remote start system in there TL how do you like it? I have read that it will shut off the engine upon opening the door as theft protection. Is this the case for both the base model with the flip key as well as the tech models with push button start?
Old 11-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts
I bought my car certified and I didn't know that it came with it. It was a pleasant surprise (I love it). If you open the door, the engine will indeed turn off.

To be honest, the times that I have opened the door before the engine warmed up has been low. For example, I try to figure out departure time (i.e. kids) and start the warm procedure of the car. I have noticed that if the car turns off after the 10-15 minutes, the car is pretty toasty after 10 minutes or so.

Part of my workflow is to clean out the windows & vents from snow, remote start car, head back in to help with the kids.

When you use remote start you car, it will turn on front defrost, rear defrost and close the vent (so it doesn't get air from the outside).
Old 11-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Advanced

Good info thanks. I have the base awd with the flip key. Am I right in assuming that the car will still shut off when the door is opened? Any long term concerns with having to restart the car every time? I am looking at ordering this from the dealer and have them install it. What did you pay for the unit and installation if I may ask?
Old 11-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

It came with the car (used/certified) from the dealer already installed.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by echodigital
I bought my car certified and I didn't know that it came with it. It was a pleasant surprise (I love it). If you open the door, the engine will indeed turn off.

To be honest, the times that I have opened the door before the engine warmed up has been low. For example, I try to figure out departure time (i.e. kids) and start the warm procedure of the car. I have noticed that if the car turns off after the 10-15 minutes, the car is pretty toasty after 10 minutes or so.

Part of my workflow is to clean out the windows & vents from snow, remote start car, head back in to help with the kids.

When you use remote start you car, it will turn on front defrost, rear defrost and close the vent (so it doesn't get air from the outside).
This alone makes it really worthwhile, in my view. The fact that you can't open the door and have it continue to run is a bit of a pain, though the reasoning behind it is sound. I'll sometimes leave the house with a bit to carry, with the intention of throwing my bag and a few files in the car, and coming back for my coffee and tablet/phone. It would be nnice to have it still run, but I'd happily trade that away for the automatic defrost activation.

That said, the range on the factory remote isn't anything stellar. And it would be nice if the factory remote fob worked as a replacement for the regular fob, but on the keyless models (push button start), you need to carry both. A small inconvenience.
The following users liked this post:
echodigital (11-05-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 11:10 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
i took mine out and am putting an aftermarket one in
Old 11-05-2013, 05:01 AM
Advanced

@jbond.. Why did you decide to go aftermarket? I like the fact that the oem unit plugs right in to your factory wiring harness, no cutting and splicing. Also it will not void the factory warranty.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
the t harness is fairly complex, i install remote starters for a living and while the Acura one is nice, it is very limited to what you can do , i now have lock3X for remote start for short range and a smart-start(cellphone) for unlimited range also if the factory alarm is triggered i am notified via sms, remote starters do not void your warranty common misconception
im thinking of selling myfactory one for like 150 , cause the romote isnt in the best of shape
Old 11-06-2013, 12:58 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
What other features/functions does the aftermarket system have ?
Old 11-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
i am getting just a base 1 button aftermarket. Buddy can furnish and install for $200... or +$125 for iphone system... I had called acura and OEM installed w iphone was $800.... LOL.... Guy recommended i go aftermarket regardless.

I'm fine with an extra fob.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:15 AM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts
The door open shut off is either just a dip switch that needs to be flipped or a wire that needs to be changed where it's routed... Minor fix for an installer... If someone has the schematics on it I can prolly advise the changes... Fords have the same issue and it's one wire that needs to be changed...
Old 12-27-2013, 12:48 PM
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts
how can i find out if my car has it pre-installed?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

If it is OEM, you will have an extra fob to start car. Google: Ed Martin Acura remote start.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:24 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It came with my pre-owned '10 and I honestly don't even use it. I was told by several mechanics that it's not good to run your engine idle in the cold so I immediately start driving after I start my engine (as I'm freezing my rear off, until the heated seats kick in). I try not to go above 2k rmp and you'll soon see that your car's engine temp. will warm up faster than leaving it idle.

In the summer time, I may use it if rolling down all the windows + sun roof won't help cool it down. Until then, I will continue to leave my remote starter's remote at home.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:11 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

I have an a baby in car sometimes and it's been -15 C and lower. I don't think I would have bought it otherwise because it's an expensive option.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by minsbang
I was told by several mechanics that it's not good to run your engine idle in the cold...
This makes no sense, and
Originally Posted by minsbang
I try not to go above 2k rmp and you'll soon see that your car's engine temp. will warm up faster than leaving it idle.
this makes no sense either.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:46 AM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by sockpuppet
This makes no sense, and

this makes no sense either.

Yeah whatever Mechanic he talked to was an idiot... or telling him stupid shit cause he thought you were an idiot... you motor is made of metal parts... they expand and contract in heat and cold... they are made to run at 180 degree's for proper fitment.. your valves doesn't seat right till the motor us warm... you idle the car till it warms up then go...
Old 01-30-2014, 12:59 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I beg to differ. I forgot where I read it, but that conception is back in the 80s. Nowadays, for modern engines you can start it up and go as long as you don't drive like a madman from the get go. Slow increasing engine RPMs will work and it will also heat up the motor faster.

Originally Posted by User Error
Yeah whatever Mechanic he talked to was an idiot... or telling him stupid shit cause he thought you were an idiot... you motor is made of metal parts... they expand and contract in heat and cold... they are made to run at 180 degree's for proper fitment.. your valves doesn't seat right till the motor us warm... you idle the car till it warms up then go...
Old 01-30-2014, 09:18 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Originally Posted by shurik74
how can i find out if my car has it pre-installed?
You have a 6MT, it's only offered on AT.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dragonwang
I beg to differ. I forgot where I read it, but that conception is back in the 80s. Nowadays, for modern engines you can start it up and go as long as you don't drive like a madman from the get go.
Being a "modern engine doesn't change anything. I don't think it would make a difference if we were talking about an engine from the future...they are still made of metal, and metal responds to changes in temperature. As I type this, it's -19C here (-2F for my southern friends). Overall not too bad. But around here, in the winter, -35C (-31F) is not uncommon. That leaves a huge temperature change the engine goes through from initial startup to somewhere down the road. Common sense dictates that allowing the engine to warm up even for a few moments before putting it under load is a good idea. (One of my friends always waits for his needle to drop after initial startup-up before putting his truck in gear...and his vehicles last forever).

And keep in mind, my comment, as well as User Error's, was in response to the assertion that "it's not good to let your engine idle in the cold". To suggest that idling is harmful is, frankly, indefensible.

Originally Posted by dragonwang
Slow increasing engine RPMs will work and it will also heat up the motor faster.
Faster than what? Than idling alone? This is obvious, however of no use, since nobody warms up their car for the purpose of sitting in one spot. If you mean to say that slowly increasing RPMs without idling will warm the car faster than slowly increasing with an idle period first...well, I'd like to see something to back that up.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:40 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Here's one...I think if you do a google search on "should i let my car idle before driving", it'll come up with several results.

http://antranik.org/the-myth-of-warming-up-your-engine/
Old 01-30-2014, 05:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Google is not an answer...it is a search engine. It will enable one to find equal parts garbage and valid info (on a good day). The article you linked to does not reproduce on my browser for some reason...I can only read the opening couple sentences. What I don't see are the writer's qualifications.
However, I did read the comments in reply with great interest. They are almost universally opposed to his position. And while people can pump themselves up all they want on the internet, and there's no real way of establishing bona fides, I do note his opposition includes:
- an "M.I.T Grad and NASA Engineer"
- a guy who "Built vehicles for Chrysler for For 14 years"
- a mechanic
- another mechanic

His supporters (and they are limited), admittedly include a mechanical engineer, however his "support" includes the following, "I am also a Mechanical Engineer and understand why a cold engine will wear faster, but as long as the proper oil is used the amount of extra wear is too small to ever notice."

So you'll understand if I remain unconvinced.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
You don't want your car to be damaged because of the cold, then don't drive your car in the winter.

I've been debating on an autostarter as well and I'll be holding off till next season due to funds but I can definitely agree with many that while autostarting a car is bad for the environment (honestly, I just don't really care that much when I'm freezing my ass off in the car) it does help a bit. Also in this Canadian weather, it just sucks getting into a car frozen.

Now that being said, these cars are newer so therefore they are a tad better then those older at heating, but if you guys haven't noticed. If you start your car, wait 5 seconds and then go at a -30 degree weather. Your engine will rev higher than normal then change to another gear to heat the engine up. So realistically it doesn't make a damn difference. You're polluting no matter what and it's because of this damn -30 weather.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:12 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Man, I'll take living in FL surrounded by crazies over dealing with that shit any day of the week! I feel for you guys...
Old 02-14-2014, 04:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
Man, I'll take living in FL surrounded by crazies over dealing with that shit any day of the week! I feel for you guys...
But my paint has never been scratched by a gator.

Yeah...that's how much I know about FL.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jbond2099
the t harness is fairly complex, i install remote starters for a living and while the Acura one is nice, it is very limited to what you can do , i now have lock3X for remote start for short range and a smart-start(cellphone) for unlimited range also if the factory alarm is triggered i am notified via sms, remote starters do not void your warranty common misconception
im thinking of selling myfactory one for like 150 , cause the romote isnt in the best of shape
Hey what brand remote started would you recommend? I do like that long distance feature as I live in NY. I don't have a direct line of sight to my car.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:19 AM
7th Gear

I have a stock Acura remote starter for my 4G TL and it does shut off the minute you either unlock the car or put your hand out to open the door. A bit of a pain in the ass. Not to mention you must lock the car with the starter FOB otherwise you can not start the car.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Killahbyte
I have a stock Acura remote starter for my 4G TL and it does shut off the minute you either unlock the car or put your hand out to open the door. A bit of a pain in the ass. Not to mention you must lock the car with the starter FOB otherwise you can not start the car.
The car has to be locked for the remote starter to work; this is exactly how you want it to work. It doesn't matter how the car is locked (starter fob, regular fob, door button)...just that it's locked.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
So for the guys out there that want to keep or install a stock remote starter, how do we go about bypassing the "engine shut off" feature?
I am not concerned about theft that much given that I will always have all doors locked when I remote start the car.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:26 AM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts
Anybody have their starter prematurely burn out from the fact that the engine gets turned over twice as much?
Old 05-16-2014, 07:36 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

Not yet and it's an 2009 version. I only use it in the winter and the car was used from Quebec so I bet the previous owner used it a lot.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:55 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts
Wait, you can do the OEM factory Restart kit with Iphone connection? Please explain this to me. You can start the car with your iphone AND the key Fob?
Old 05-03-2016, 06:18 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson
Wait, you can do the OEM factory Restart kit with Iphone connection? Please explain this to me. You can start the car with your iphone AND the key Fob?
Probably not....
Old 11-13-2016, 09:45 AM
1st Gear

Autostart 2013 MDX

Originally Posted by jbond2099
jbond 2099: CAN U TELL ME QUICKLY IF AUTOSTART INSTALL IS THE SAME ON A 2013 MDX AS IT IS ON THE 2014 MDX? THRU THE BACK HATCH LIGHT ASSEMBLY? THX IN ADVANCE, UR AWESOME!!!!