Tires & Winter Traction

Old 02-20-2017, 02:04 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires & Winter Traction

I've got a 2008 TL and I love everything about it except for how it drives in the winter (which is important, 'cause I'm in Boston). I slip and slide all over the road when there's even a fraction of an inch of show or slush on the road.

I've never swapped summer/winter tires on any of the previous cars I've owned, but after doing a bit of research, it looks like that may be inevitable. Please bear with this total noob question, but do I need to purchase a second set of rims in order to do summer/winter tires? And if I do, how much might that run me and what's the best source for them?

Also, any tire recommendations? I was looking at the Continental WinterContact SI.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2017, 02:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
I use a second set of wheels for my winter tyres (also on my wife's car) for convenience.

You can choose to swap tyres back and forth, seasonally on one set of wheels, but you'll incur long waits at tyre shops because of seasonal crowds. And you risk the wheels/tyres being damaged every time they are exchanged.

I found a used set of TL base wheels for $300 and decided to go with those as my winter set.

I use summer tyres in summer...and they absolutely will NOT work in snow or ice.

All season tyres are an alternative that people go with....but that is a compromise on both ends of the traction spectrum. Are Boston winters that bad? Or can you get by with a good all-season set?

I love my Continental Extreme Winters....which have been replaced by the wintercontact SI. I would assume they are good as well.

Michelin X-Ice is probably my all around favourite winter tyre.

General Altimax is excellent if you're down to deal with quite a bit of noise.

I am not a huge fan of Blizzak WS80's that everyone was going mad about a year or two ago.
The following users liked this post:
08TLNewbie (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 02:30 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roland_Bluntzs

You can choose to swap tyres back and forth, seasonally on one set of wheels, but you'll incur long waits at tyre shops because of seasonal crowds. And you risk the wheels/tyres being damaged every time they are exchanged.
Good advice, thanks.

All season tyres are an alternative that people go with....but that is a compromise on both ends of the traction spectrum. Are Boston winters that bad? Or can you get by with a good all-season set?
I've got all season tires on it now, and they're not doing the job.

I love my Continental Extreme Winters....which have been replaced by the wintercontact SI. I would assume they are good as well.
Great -- thanks for the helpful info!
Old 02-20-2017, 03:29 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
With General Arctic Altimax winter tires my TL cuts through the snow like it's riding on rails, rock solid. Get those tires!
Old 02-21-2017, 08:33 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
What are your current tires? The behavior you are discussing has nothing to do with the TL itself. It is purely a function of the tires you have. This is my first year of running dedicated winters and I can tell the difference in the snow/ice over my Michelin MXM4......but it is quite difficult for me to justify the cost and overhead since we rarely have snow/ice here for more than a couple of days through the season. I picked up a set of used TL rims for $200 and then picked up a set of Pirelli Winter SottoZero 3 since they appeared to have the best dry/wet ratings out of most winter tires.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:25 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jackass
What are your current tires? The behavior you are discussing has nothing to do with the TL itself. It is purely a function of the tires you have. This is my first year of running dedicated winters and I can tell the difference in the snow/ice over my Michelin MXM4......but it is quite difficult for me to justify the cost and overhead since we rarely have snow/ice here for more than a couple of days through the season. I picked up a set of used TL rims for $200 and then picked up a set of Pirelli Winter SottoZero 3 since they appeared to have the best dry/wet ratings out of most winter tires.

Chicagoland winters put me on the cusp of "yes I can justify using them". It doesn't snow a lot here *most* years. But I do drive quite a bit, and when it does snow, the winter set comes in really handy. I kinda fought with the concept for a while. At 16, my first car was a manual RWD sport coupe that I didn't ever have issues with on all season tyres. But years later, on a different car, after buying a set of winter tyres and driving on them, I was hooked lol.

I haven't bought all season tyres for a few years now. I buy summer tyres and I buy winter tyres...both on their own wheel set. That setup has its drawbacks as well, admittedly. But mostly, I enjoy the upsides of said setup.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 174 Posts
Do you have Automatic or Manual? With a manual you will get excellent 2 wheel traction. While auto will direct all power to the slipping wheel (how great).
Winter tires are a must. They don't cost any more money as you will be rotating usage between your summers.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 987 Likes on 745 Posts
My Auto was absolutely horrible in the snow... Now my manual is a different story. I was able to get through this winter on all seasons. Would never have left the driveway in my auto on all seasons. Auto is a must have for snow tires, Manual is the added reassurance!
Old 02-21-2017, 03:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 987 Likes on 745 Posts
I personally love Blizzaks but they can get kinda pricey. There was a few that just came out that were said to be very good. I can't remember them off hand, do a little research on the tirerack and read the reviews! Also Welcome to the boards!
Old 02-23-2017, 02:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
It is wintery and ice covered here in northern Ontario for half the year and I use all seasons on an automatic. ONE TIME a few years ago I slid into another car going about 2 km/hr over a distance of about ten feet. Other than that I am only nervous the first day of ice/snow until I adjust my driving.

In my case I cannot justify the expense.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:30 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by stevemk07
It is wintery and ice covered here in northern Ontario for half the year and I use all seasons on an automatic. ONE TIME a few years ago I slid into another car going about 2 km/hr over a distance of about ten feet. Other than that I am only nervous the first day of ice/snow until I adjust my driving.

Wait, I thought you were required to use winter tyres in Canada. Is it not for every province?
Old 02-24-2017, 03:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by stevemk07

i'm not scared of plowing into others as it's possible to defensively drive. The main reason i love winter tires is for situations where it's deep snow and you can get stuck. And also to drive away quickly from moronic drivers.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Wait, I thought you were required to use winter tyres in Canada. Is it not for every province?
Not in Ontario. I believe they are manditory in Quebec.

Originally Posted by WDPanda
i'm not scared of plowing into others as it's possible to defensively drive. The main reason i love winter tires is for situations where it's deep snow and you can get stuck. And also to drive away quickly from moronic drivers.
Yes being able to get away from them is definitely good. I just take my time...

I have been pretty fortunate in that regard so far, aside from my car being rear ended in the fall. 8700 in repairs but they did a good job and actually got rid of some noise from the back caused by bass frequencies... (I deadened the arwas back there but was still some noise, not after the repairs though)
Old 02-26-2017, 08:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts
I have 225 General Altimax Artics for my winter tires. They are louder than an all-season but they are fantastic in the snow and ice, for accelerating, steering and stopping. Most people get hooked when switching to a dedicated snow tire, even if there isn't any snow the cold temperatures make all-season perform like crap. I did some ice rally x with the generals, so if they work well on a frozen lakes you will be just fine on the roads.

Name:  photo-15_zpsgn3277ga.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  69.6 KB

Here's my TL running around with 225 General's
The following 2 users liked this post by 6spd-GERCO:
srg818 (03-01-2017), WDPanda (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 12:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 6spd-GERCO
I have 225 General Altimax Artics for my winter tires. They are louder than an all-season but they are fantastic in the snow and ice, for accelerating, steering and stopping. Most people get hooked when switching to a dedicated snow tire, even if there isn't any snow the cold temperatures make all-season perform like crap. I did some ice rally x with the generals, so if they work well on a frozen lakes you will be just fine on the roads.

Here's my TL running around with 225 General's
https://youtu.be/CJpXipw_pF8
i agree. I can take corners on highways at high speed without any loss of confidence. All seasons are a death trap.
The following users liked this post:
6spd-GERCO (03-03-2017)

Search this Thread