Replica TL-S wheels....a few months later

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 12:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Originally Posted by VisualEchos
OK, so clearly you have no idea what wheels cost a manufacturer. I have worked for Honda, Mazda, and Hyundai in the past, and was a parts manager for two of them, and I can tell you that wheels cost a manufacturer next to nothing. How do I know this? Because manufacturers never lose money on parts. They may sell them 1% over as the car reaches near the 8-10 year mark (manufacturers are bound by law to produce parts for a vehicle for 10 years after the build MY), but they never lose money.

You know the A-Spec wheels that everyone on this board likes so much? Those wheels cost DEALERS $62 a wheel 1 year ago, I literally have the invoice. What's important about that is not what they cost the dealer, but what they must have cost the manufacturer. I don't know that figure, probably no one knows, but we can guess it's at least under $62.

Back when I worked for Honda I saw this all the time, but a better example might be the BBS wheels that came on my 2005 STi. This was a forged wheel that cost the manufacturer $22 a wheel (it's all over the place in the rally world). What's important about that figure? BBS didn't make nearly the wheels for Subaru that they have for Honda/Acura.

So, in short, you are right that a forged wheel would have probably cost HMC more money, but not in the ballpark you're thinking.

But let me state YET AGAIN that I did not say that Acura should have put a forged wheel on the TL-S, I simply said that 22-26 lbs is very heavy for a wheel on a sporty version of the car, and Acura could have easily put an 18-lb flow-formed cast wheel on the car and made the driving-feel much better. Most guys on this board will never figure this out because they are either stancing the hell out of the car and stretching the tire, or like myself and trying to get that M5 look with a 295 tire...both of which degrade driving feel. It is what it is.
Thank you for sharing the real cost at stealership, I actually passing the idea getting lighter wheel, forge, A spec etc, the car isn't very sport for what its, I mean it does hide the FWD architect well until you push it to the limit during track day. beside 17" tires is much cheaper than 18" tires, no sweat here I am not looking to be the best sporty sedan in the market.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
Doesn't matter what the weight of the car is, 22-26 lbs is terrible. Unsprung weight is always important, and if you're putting special wheels on a car as an addition to a package that has an obvious sporty nature, why have such a heavy wheel? No reason these wheels couldn't be forged and 18 lbs, other than the Type-S isn't really a sporty car, it's just made to look like one.
And then...

And I never suggested that they use forged wheels in this application. Reading comprehension: you're missing it.

Same answer as above.

No it doesn't, it comes down to who they made the deal with and for how long. In this case, Enkei.

These comments prove you're pretty lost. If they didn't want a sportier car, then why didn't they opt for the base? I'm interested, because, you know, I actually bought my TL new in 2007. Secondly, you're completely lost if you think that forged wheels cost $3000.
For a seemingly educated person you really fall short on reading comprehension. I've answered all of these questions clearly, yet you seem to not be reading my responses. What's next, are you going to ask me why I think Acura should have put a forged wheel on the TL-S? Jesus dude, read. Nowhere did I say that I wanted my TL to be more sporty, I said I already have a car for that. In fact, I purchased the BASE TL instead of the TL-S because I wanted it LESS sporty...AGAIN...because I have a short commute and prefer ride quality.
^All those responses in bold. Flip flop back pedal flip flop.

Nobody can read!!! Apparently....
Old 03-13-2017, 12:22 PM
Safety Car

1.) I appreciate you think I seem educated. I learned English as part of a parlour trick.

2.) I am also psychic. Your next move will be "I don't want to discuss this anymore".
Old 03-13-2017, 01:06 PM
Andrew

Received 532 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Roland_Bluntzs
1.) I appreciate you think I seem educated. I learned English as part of a parlour trick.

2.) I am also psychic. Your next move will be "I don't want to discuss this anymore".
Damn you like to argue.

My first comment was a mistake, I meant to write flow-formed, not forged, there really is no need for a forged wheel on this car. Beyond that, the weight of a forged wheel is many times more than that of a cast wheel. My point was that 18 lbs is right in line with a nice 17 x 8 cast wheel. Even my unspectacular 18 x 9.5 cast wheel is just 22 lbs.

Yes, you're psychic, I don't want to discuss this, or anything else with you anymore because you're too argumentative.

Good day to you...forever.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:08 PM
Andrew

Originally Posted by truonghthe
Thank you for sharing the real cost at stealership, I actually passing the idea getting lighter wheel, forge, A spec etc, the car isn't very sport for what its, I mean it does hide the FWD architect well until you push it to the limit during track day. beside 17" tires is much cheaper than 18" tires, no sweat here I am not looking to be the best sporty sedan in the market.
No problem. The eBay guy that sold us all the Sparkle A-Spec sets for $300 shipped shared the spec-sheet with me. He told me not to share the sheet with anyone else, but he never said anything about not sharing the numbers .
Old 03-13-2017, 01:23 PM
Safety Car

Damn you like to argue.

My first comment was a mistake, I meant to write flow-formed, not forged, there really is no need for a forged wheel on this car. Beyond that, the weight of a forged wheel is many times more than that of a cast wheel. My point was that 18 lbs is right in line with a nice 17 x 8 cast wheel. Even my unspectacular 18 x 9.5 cast wheel is just 22 lbs.

Yes, you're psychic, I don't want to discuss this, or anything else with you anymore because you're too argumentative.

Good day to you...forever.

The weight of a forged wheel is more than that of a cast wheel?

What???

The weight of aluminum is...the weight of aluminum. Forging creates a stronger structure with less material necessary. Why on Earth would a forging of equivalent or greater strength, made from the same (just about the same) material weigh more? What are you on about, M8?

This whole thing started because you said "the car should have come with forged wheels". I said it wouldn't make sense for it to have...and then you told me you didn't want to discuss it with me. And that really hurt my feelings.

Plus, you lied. You discussed it with me like a MF.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:57 PM
Safety Car

Anyway, while I don't plan on taking any tyres off of my TLS wheels, I may have a bare set of base model wheels to compare to a base model replica in the next few days.

I remember noting quite a bit of extra weight from the replica. But that could mean anything. I got these small arms :'(
Old 04-05-2017, 04:22 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
A little off topic here, but does anyone know if the TL-S replicas have a "ENKEI" stamp on the rear side of the rim?
I bought some a set of TL-S waffles a few months back off craigslist. I was skepticle if they were replicas or not. But while checking out the rims, I noticed they had the "enkei" stamp on the rear side of the rims, to which i assumed they were in fact OEM rims. I assume companys cannot copy that stamp because they arent that original company that manufactured the rims.

Can anyone confirm if the replicas have that stamp or not?
Old 04-05-2017, 07:33 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Roland...
as usual.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:53 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Roland...
as usual.
LMK anytime
Old 04-09-2017, 10:52 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Beware the replica replacements for the '04/5/6 6MT. They don't clear the Brembo calipers. You have to go with refurbished OEM's. I found that out the hard way.
The following users liked this post:
6for2 (01-21-2021)
Old 04-09-2017, 10:54 AM
Andrew

Originally Posted by DMZ
Beware the replica replacements for the '04/5/6 6MT. They don't clear the Brembo calipers. You have to go with refurbished OEM's. I found that out the hard way.
Are the OEM wheels super close to the caliper? I would imagine that the rep's were made from an OE wheel, making them quite close in style, and if they don't fit, then it must be that the OE's are super close. What do you think?