Q: Complete suspension refresh

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 10:57 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Q: Complete suspension refresh

Hi first post here so bear with me,
I have an 05 TL Base auto, the suspension is pretty shit and I want to replace everything. I am pretty handy but I've never replaced suspension components before. I was looking at the F&F type 1 coilovers but I don't want to lower my car more than an inch or so and I was told that coils would drop my car by alot which I don't want (I have all seasons on stock rims). If anyone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction of what all to order in terms of hardware (bushings all the little detail shit a newbie wouldn't know) as well as any suggestions as to what would be a good setup I would greatly appreciate it. I don't drive my car hard so I'm looking to be as frugal possible, I just want oem spec or better and like an inch drop.
these are the tires https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...I9nwSkmOlcS28w

THANKS!!!
Old 03-16-2017, 12:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,166 Likes on 877 Posts
Skip the F&F's. Truly.

Tein SA-Z's are a popular choice that a lot of people are very happy with. They will easily accomodate a 1" drop.

Replace whichever bushings are worn out. Or replace the whole arm for ease of install. I recommend genuine Acura rubber bushings or bearings. Aftermarket bushings don't seem to hold up. I use bernardiparts.com for Acura parts. I'm sure there are lots of other sites.

I would not use anything except Acura for replacement ball joints or tie rod ends. But...those items normally last 200K+ miles. Check your current parts. If its not loose or worn....don't replace it.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Please skip the FF Type 1....

Old 03-16-2017, 01:39 PM
2nd Gear

what would you recommend?
Old 03-16-2017, 02:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Personally I would recommend some Tein.

Tein SA-Z's are a popular choice that a lot of people are very happy with. They will easily accomodate a 1" drop.

Replace whichever bushings are worn out. Or replace the whole arm for ease of install. I recommend genuine Acura rubber bushings or bearings. Aftermarket bushings don't seem to hold up. I use bernardiparts.com for Acura parts. I'm sure there are lots of other sites.

I would not use anything except Acura for replacement ball joints or tie rod ends. But...those items normally last 200K+ miles. Check your current parts. If its not loose or worn....don't replace it.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:40 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have DGR adjustable coilovers. I love the ride, very nice. dampening is adjustable. I lowered my car almost 3 inches and the ride is still very smooth.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:53 AM
9th Gear

My friend has Tein coils on his Type S and I believe they're the SA's. They're actually pretty tolerable of bumps and dips but seem to give the car a better connection to the road, if that makes sense. I am still on stock suspension, but I want to upgrade soon and I'll likely go with the same setup.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:21 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
Please skip the FF Type 1....

+1

They're non-adjustable dampening with fairly stiff spring rates. Goes low (which you're not really looking for) though.