New guy and a question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 04:46 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy and a question

Hello just started searching for service info.

My first question. Besides the shocks, what else must be replaced in those assemblies? I woukd assume mounts. I have been looking at the repair threads and procedures. I just dont want to purchase unnecessary parts.

My wife has a 2008 base TL 90k miles. Just found out today tyat the right rear shick is leaking. I figured it was about time to replace the shocks anyway. Everything else checks out, end links, sway bar bushings etc.

Thanks for your input.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:09 PM
Andrew

Received 532 Likes on 314 Posts
AFAIK, the lower control arm bushings, and the rear toe adjusters are all that are generally replaced. I have 90K on my '07 TL and have only replaced the suspension with coil-over's so far. Remember, even if you have cracked LCA bushings it doesn't mean that they are bad, they're often replaced too early, just depends on the size of the cracks.

I'll also say that I replaced my struts to lower the car, not out of need, my struts were awesome at 90K mileage, wish I had the ride quality back.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:49 PM
10th Gear

I replaced all shocks / struts with coil-overs a few years back and loved the change (the right rear shock was blown and replacing with OEM was about as expensive as coil-overs). I just replaced the coil-overs again (after about 45K miles) but found out I didn't need too -- sounds like I have LCA bushing issues instead. I am going to change them out and see if that doesn't fix the issue.
Remember this -- time does as much damage as miles some times. I have low miles on the car (80K for a 2006) but rubber components are taking a beating, especially here in the hot south. I like the new Tein's I put on -- dropped the right height and still kept the ride quality I was wanting (I like more control in the corners).
Old 05-21-2016, 11:35 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by eedwin
I replaced all shocks / struts with coil-overs a few years back and loved the change (the right rear shock was blown and replacing with OEM was about as expensive as coil-overs). I just replaced the coil-overs again (after about 45K miles) but found out I didn't need too -- sounds like I have LCA bushing issues instead. I am going to change them out and see if that doesn't fix the issue.
Remember this -- time does as much damage as miles some times. I have low miles on the car (80K for a 2006) but rubber components are taking a beating, especially here in the hot south. I like the new Tein's I put on -- dropped the right height and still kept the ride quality I was wanting (I like more control in the corners).
This will be stock replacement, my wifes car does not get modified.
Am I in the correct forum for this question?
Old 05-22-2016, 09:52 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Kappy
This will be stock replacement, my wifes car does not get modified.
Am I in the correct forum for this question?
You are in the right forum. The mods I made were for my wife's car as well -- they weren't so radical that she complained. The struts I put in allow for adjustment to the damping force, so you can make them track ready or soft as regular struts. The springs allow for lowering the car (mine ended up about 1.5-2.0" lower than stock) but the ride quality only got better. Note: You will feel the road more than OEM parts, but I think that is an improvement.