Horrible wear and cupping inside of tires.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 11:57 AM
I Like turtles

Received 300 Likes on 238 Posts
Horrible wear and cupping inside of tires.

Noticed this yesterday so had Firestone check out the alignment and it all looked good. Front toe was dead on and front camber was -1.8 which isnt a huge amount. Both front tires had a stupid amount of cupping and horrible wear and I was told it was probably a suspension issie since the alignment was still good. Ill have some pics of the tires in a few as im swapping them out now but what areas can I start looking at to fix this since the alignment is spot on.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:48 PM
I Like turtles

Old 05-22-2014, 01:57 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
Check your tie rods
Old 06-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GeeteeDan
Noticed this yesterday so had Firestone check out the alignment and it all looked good. Front toe was dead on and front camber was -1.8 which isnt a huge amount. Both front tires had a stupid amount of cupping and horrible wear and I was told it was probably a suspension issie since the alignment was still good. Ill have some pics of the tires in a few as im swapping them out now but what areas can I start looking at to fix this since the alignment is spot on.
Every find out what causing it?

I have the same issue and first place said it the shocks, 2nd place said everything look good and can't figure why. Tomorrow im taking it to a 3rd place before I purchase coilover if its shocks.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I had the same problem with my 05.
Never figured out what it was.
I had just bought the rear camber kit to see if it would help.
Lost the car in a fire before I could see if it helped.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:10 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Originally Posted by pinina
I had the same problem with my 05.
Never figured out what it was.
I had just bought the rear camber kit to see if it would help.
Lost the car in a fire before I could see if it helped.
My problem started at my 2nd set of tires which lasted 53,299 miles. Then I really noticed it on my 3rd set which lasted 37,400 miles. My Acura dealership actually installed an adjustable rear camber kit (thought the rear was causing it) and it seem to fixed the issue, BUT my 4th set I'm on now is doing the same thing (odometer 163K). I narrowed it down to the front that is causing the wear, rear was fine until I got a rotation and noticed it. Now the tires that were in the rear now in the front have inner wear.

Shocks would explain it or some other worn parts. Hopefully this 3rd place would find out. Tired of buying tires, my current tires look almost brand new in tread wear except the inner part.

Sorry about your car Glad you have another TL

Noticed you have H&R Springs and Koni shocks, how you like the combo? That was one of my option if I needed replacement shocks, the other was going with Tein SA coilover or ISC coilover.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:31 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Here one of my tire:

Old 06-01-2014, 11:38 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Two words:

Rear toe.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:47 AM

Received 9,493 Likes on 6,165 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Two words:

Rear toe.
OP is having issues with the front tires cupping, not the rears.
The following users liked this post:
GeeteeDan (06-08-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 09:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
OP Firestone said the front toe was dead on .. was that total toe or individual toe? Did you get a print out.

I was told one time my toe was on .. when in fact it was averaged ...
Old 06-02-2014, 12:33 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Just back from the 3rd place, it look like my issue is the shocks are worn and my front toe off a bit. I believe my shock probably needed replacing when I had my 3rd set of tires. Now..what to get Tein SA, ISC N1 or Koni and H&R springs....ahhh and need a new set of tires. $$$$$$$
Old 06-02-2014, 01:05 PM
Race Director

worn shocks won't cause tire wear. we need to see the full alignment spec sheet that they should have printed out for you...
Old 06-02-2014, 02:38 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
worn shocks won't cause tire wear. we need to see the full alignment spec sheet that they should have printed out for you...
I actually have 2 alignment check printout, there only a couple weeks apart. I didn't get it aligned since Its to late to save the tires. I'm still on original OEM shocks with 164K miles, if that factors in.

Thanks for taking a look.

GeeTee Dan - Didn't mean to hijack your tread. Thought we might have a common solution.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Yeah, the shock thing is mostly a myth that won't die. It's possible in extreme cases but it's very, very unlikely.

I finally did my own alignment. I destroyed a set of tires in 2,000 miles and only noticed by accident. The tires still looked almost new and one day I parked with my wheels turned all the way and noticed the inside inch or so was showing the threads while the rest of the tire was new. I had the car aligned when I got the tires. I did the toe myself with a tape measure and have not had any issues since. 99% of alignment shops absolutely suck.

I used to have an awesome shop that mostly did race cars and they had a 2 month or longer backlog. They were the only ones that could get it right but they're gone now. I don't know where some of these places get the print outs but sometimes they don't mean crap.

One way to see if it's toe is to use an infrared temperature gun on the tire after at least a 5 minute drive or longer. Shoot the inside part that's wearing and shoot the middle and outside. The inside will be considerably warmer than the outside. Make sure to shoot temps right after a drive before rim and brake temps can have an influence.
rockyfeller (06-12-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
I forgot, they should set toe to zero, no exceptions. No averaging. Have them do it over and over till it's at 0. On the third time one time, they gave me a printout of toe at zero and didn't think I would notice that it was for a Civic. "Good enough" is the alignment shop's motto. Our cars are sensitive to alignment. Part of what makes our suspension so good for performance also makes it sensitive to alignment but with the right alignment you can get the best of all worlds.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tonywp75
I actually have 2 alignment check printout, there only a couple weeks apart. I didn't get it aligned since Its to late to save the tires. I'm still on original OEM shocks with 164K miles, if that factors in...
Left toe is out of spec for both front and rear on the top sheet. Rear toe is waaayyyy out of spec...

I don't know what's going on with the bottom sheet as it doesn't even appear to list the correct specs for toe...

You just need to find someone who knows how to do an alignment and who can get toe for all 4 corners within spec, ideally as close to 0 as possible.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:33 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I forgot, they should set toe to zero, no exceptions. No averaging. Have them do it over and over till it's at 0. On the third time one time, they gave me a printout of toe at zero and didn't think I would notice that it was for a Civic. "Good enough" is the alignment shop's motto. Our cars are sensitive to alignment. Part of what makes our suspension so good for performance also makes it sensitive to alignment but with the right alignment you can get the best of all worlds.
Thanks for your input! What do you think is causing the outer & inner feather,scalloping issue ? The place I went to today check all the other components and said they look in good condition and believe its due to worn shocks. I get my tire rotated every oil change per MID. So right now 2 shops think it shocks and the third don't think it shocks and can't figure it out. These 3 shops are highly rated in my area.

Thanks again.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:57 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
On a completely different car, we had similar wear patterns that took quite some time to figure out. Ended up being a combination of a bad front tie-rod end along with a bad rear strut. We rotated the tires every 3-5k mile and could never narrow down if the funky wear was coming from the front or back. It appears it was a bit of both. We finally replaced the rear strut, put new tires on, and the odd wear issues went away.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Originally Posted by Jackass
On a completely different car, we had similar wear patterns that took quite some time to figure out. Ended up being a combination of a bad front tie-rod end along with a bad rear strut. We rotated the tires every 3-5k mile and could never narrow down if the funky wear was coming from the front or back. It appears it was a bit of both. We finally replaced the rear strut, put new tires on, and the odd wear issues went away.
Think I'm going to be replacing my shocks & tires and get it over with. It just been an headach and I been feeling uneasy on my tires. The inner wear so bad there blisters.

Probably going to get a set of A-Spec suspension and try a different set of tires like the new hankook ventus s1 noble2 tires.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:11 PM
I Like turtles

I still haven't checked the tie rods as ive been really busy and the car has sat for a little while. I have coilovers with only about 15k miles on them so I dont see them being the problem. Ill see if I can find the alignment sheet but front toe was 0 and front camber was -1.8

Rear tires are fine
Old 06-12-2014, 11:38 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shocks and struts do play a role in tire wear! "Average" life of a strut/shock is 50k. It also depends on the brand/type of tire. I've seen different types of tires chop more/less on the same car. Im a tech and do alingments all day, which are also very important. I recommend no matter where you go if they offer a lifetime alignment, buy it. Most places will give you a break on price too if its a slow day.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:42 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost forgot, if you want to check your front end just jack up the front and shake wheel on car side to side for tie rods. Top and bottom for wheel bearings and ball joints. Can also pry up between mounting surfaces of ball joints with small pry bar if you have one. Hope that helps.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:13 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
One way to see if it's toe is to use an infrared temperature gun on the tire after at least a 5 minute drive or longer. Shoot the inside part that's wearing and shoot the middle and outside. The inside will be considerably warmer than the outside. Make sure to shoot temps right after a drive before rim and brake temps can have an influence.
Awesome, I have an infrared gun and never thought to think of trying this. I have to check it out.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:17 PM
King of NYC

I get cupping too. I thought it just comes with the territory of lowering your car. The way I get around it is to keep on top of rotations.

What's been said is true, it is TOE that is the tire killer, not camber as much by itself. If you go to a tire shop and they say it is your shocks, don't trust that. They are trained to say that blindly to sell you new shocks. They have to really prove why they are saying that. Cupping can happen with bad shocks if you car at OEM height. If your car is lowered it is probably more like tie-rods as someone else has stated. My tie-rods are fine, though I still get cupping and feathering.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:22 PM
King of NYC

btw if you can't fix your inner wear issue at all, at least switch to a harder compound (lower speed rated) tire. It makes all the difference. I had soft tires that got EATEN up so bad and quick I had black rubber powder forming on the back bumper! (I have an old thread about it.) With my present tires the wear is still there on the inner side but WAY way less. I use those tires for winter and they have gone 4 seasons now and can go 1 more.
cokorote (06-13-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 11:50 PM
I Like turtles

What tires are you running now?